• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
If you keep endorsing and supporting their methods, the top ranks will have little reason to support the others because "it works" for them and their group, and the rest were always seen as disposable.

To be clear I'm not talking about CEOs, I'm taking about senior developers and what not. It's actually an interesting question to me, it would seem like unionization would be great for the "disposable" as you call them to up their wages to livable conditions, but for the senior level non management positions who would also be in the union, what benefit is there for them? Presumably their pay will not go up even with a union and even if they are underpaid compared to other sectors. In fact, there's a likelihood that pay will be based more on seniority and it would equalize their pay with others.

Is that not how it works?

I'm talking mainly about the pay aspect and the conditions for QA testers and the like, not about the bosses screaming at you thing which is absolutely something that is out of the norm and should be shamed.

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the same outside of the videogame industry as well.

It is important to note that the shell companies are not directly affiliated with the hiring company, they are independent companies that find workers and send them out to do contracting jobs all over. I know you know this as a contractor, just want to make sure there's no confusion or outrage about this one thing.

But those contractor companies basically scour places for your resume and submit you to the companies. They take a cut of your pay (of course you don't know that), and then to make sure they get their full finders fee, there's usually a fee that the hiring company has to pay them if they want to hire you full time. So in some cases it may be harder for a contractor to become full time via this route (though for a lot of jobs the only way in is through a contract position).

They do this not only so they don't have to pay benefits, but for legitimate reasons: maybe you don't need a full time employee and you really honestly just need temporary work. Maybe you have a contract to hire situation where you want a full time employee but want to see how they work in an environment first (as a former hiring manager, one of the hardest things to do is evaluate whether someone is going to work out on your team based on how they present themselves in an interview). But because of this, the government usually puts a cap on how long a contract worker can stay at a company without being converted, I think it's like 4 years.

Yes, temp work is totally legitimate. Even the temp company that is technically employing people here is a real tech temp company. The issue, of course, comes from treating these employees like full time. Basically, we get all of the negatives of contract work without any of the positives- namely the ability to set our own hours, choose what we want to work on, and work project to project as opposed to working as a full time employee.

Contract to hire is also problematic, as it's exceedingly rare and really only benefits the business vs the employee. In fact, in a media company a friend of mine works for, they frequently fire employees after their contract is up for renewel regardless of their work quality. Since he's a manager, he often fights with company heads over training costs and loss of productivity, but they don't care. Keeping head count low is far more important.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Sounds like a shitty field to be a contractor in. Im curious what school is like for these kinds of things, and how well they prepare people for reality. Theres a lot of fields where you have to pay your dues. I would think with more experience they might be able to eventually get out of contract work and get a better job

It's worse that you think. Quite often the contractors as these companies, especially QA, are those that are high-school educated if even that. Some have other degrees that they haven't been able to find work in, such as art and such. It's really about taking advantage of people who are just happy to have a job because they don't think they can do better.

I was lucky since I had a business degree when I decided to become a QA tester and I was able to leverage the hell out of everything I learned to move up in the company rather fast. But just because I had that privilege does not make me blind to the hordes of other people at the company who didn't have my background or luck.

Many people enter the meat grinder that is the video game QA department each year with a hope that it will lead to the department they truly want to be in at the company. Often that doesn't work out and some aren't even given the chance to get their foot in the door because of luck. For instance, it wasn't uncommon for my old company to ramp up by 20 freshly hired testers for a game about to release that is causing people to crash and burn from overtime then let go of almost the entire team once the game ships one or two months later.

This is why quite a few QA testers dread the words "being put on call". It means a lot of times that you will never be called in again unless the company gets desperate. Hell I've known companies that put underperforming or problematic workers on call with the intention of never calling them in so they don't have to fire them or deal with the HR side of things. One of my older companies actually cancelled people's insurance while they were on call and those that filed for unemployment were given side eye when some of them returned.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Jeez this is horrible. What assholes to treat people this way.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Called into a meeting to get angrily screamed at? I thought this only happens in bad comedies...
Nope.

Once, as a full-time employee of a small company now out of business, I and a couple of other employees were hauled into a meeting room so that the COO could scream at us for a good fifteen minutes. I can't remember specifically why, because "screaming anger" was one of his default states.

The joke was ultimately on him, though. About a year and a half later, he and the CEO were thrown out of the company by the board of directors when the board discovered embezzlement was a afoot. His career in tech was effectively sunk.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
If you don't want leaks, don't hire minimum wage temporary contract workers for your game. Some kid making $12/hour with no financial interest in your company is a lot more likely to not give a shit about how much money you lose, or any other negative effect to your buisiness.

BahamutX83

Mar 13, 2019
Florida
Doesn't that still average out though? So basically they're work you like heck on the weekends or whatever the busy time was, but you'd effectively get the surrounding times off? Otherwise I don't see how they could schedule you for so many hours over however many pay periods and avoid overtime or classifying you as full time, and they still can't schedule you for more than 8 hours in a day without overtime.

Yes and you definitely have a valid point. I have seen it abused often and leading to burnout though, that's why I mentioned it. Gonna stop now so I don't derail the thread more. Also got other stuff to do. Feel free to message me and I'll explain better later if you want.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I wonder if people will start boycotting their games now.

It maybe too late for MK 11, as they've probably made a lot of money from it already.

Oct 31, 2017
Haha, I'm so glad I didn't support this piece of shit studio with my money. Horrible horrible working conditions. This is beyond shameful and disgusting.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Haha, I'm so glad I didn't support this piece of shit studio with my money. Horrible horrible working conditions. This is beyond shameful and disgusting.
28534.jpg

Man, I have some CRAZY stories about Team Ninja from former employees....

But that's turning into "No True Scotsman" territory.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Removed MK11 from my Amazon basket, I got paid today and was about to buy it. I took the book of Jonhatan Cooper on Game Animation instead.

Sooo, Ed Boon is not the gentle always smilling good boy I believed him to be?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Removed MK11 from my Amazon basket, I got paid today and was about to buy it. I took the book of Jonhatan Cooper on Game Animation instead.

Sooo, Ed Boon is not the gentle always smilling good boy I believed him to be?
I mean, this is beside the point and totally anecdotal, but I bumped into Boon at PAX years ago while he was watching a crowd demo MKX and he was kind of a low-key dick in the "Don't bother me" sense when I just complimented the game's look a bit.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
If you don't want leaks, don't hire minimum wage temporary contract workers for your game. Some kid making $12/hour with no financial interest in your company is a lot more likely to not give a shit about how much money you lose, or any other negative effect to your buisiness.
You're making the same mistakes NRS did.

Pretty stupid to assume a full time employee wouldn't leak for their own reasons, while piling all of the blame on the contractors.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the progress the industry is making right now is that these issues are getting more and more reported, which is a good thing and a bad look for the executive branches of those companies.

Reports need to continue flowing in to eventually trigger change.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Unionize, for fuck's sake.

And if you're a contract worker? Do what you're contracted to do and nothing more. If you're not getting paid for it (hours beyond what's in the contract, fatality or other gameplay ideas beyond the scope of what's in the contract, etc), don't do it. You don't work for free.

I see what you & the rest are saying, but if they take that chance, they'll risk getting fired.

And I don't think that they'll want to, especially when there are those that have families & children to feed.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
That's really unprofessional.

At this point, is there any major studio that hasn't had some shitty story come out about it? I feel like we should view these studios/studio heads like we should be viewing celebrities. Assume they're shit until proven otherwise.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
28534.jpg

Man, I have some CRAZY stories about Team Ninja from former employees....

But that's turning into "No True Scotsman" territory.
Considering how much of this shit gets swept under the rug, I'd suggest making a thread about it (if you can source at least once of them, since I guess "rumour" threads will get closed by default).

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Unionize because they dont seem to give a shit as long as they can get away with it

Would unionizing work if you're just a contract worker? Like if you're a proper employee and you unionize they can't fire you for doing so (although WB could do something like shut the entire studio down and reopen it under a new name), but if you're not fully an employee does that count as organizing?

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is super fucked and I feel for everyone that has to go through this, but to me it sounds like everyone that works there is under huge amounts of stress. I blame WB mostly.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Would unionizing work if you're just a contract worker? Like if you're a proper employee and you unionize they can't fire you for doing so (although WB could do something like shut the entire studio down and reopen it under a new name), but if you're not fully an employee does that count as organizing?

I'm pretty sure if you're an independent contractor and you unionize, you do your work under your current contract then they just won't renew it after that, unless the union has some deal with the company already because the full time workers are under the same union.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
You think Netherrealm is the only company doing this? I guarantee you that a lot of big companies do this because whose is gonna stop them?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NRS seems to be a garbage-tier company led by garbage-tier people.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
The joke was ultimately on him, though. About a year and a half later, he and the CEO were thrown out of the company by the board of directors when the board discovered embezzlement was a afoot. His career in tech was effectively sunk.

I dealt with similar (except the guy just couldn't make a sale to save his life, despite having a clearly better product). So glad to be out of that shithole.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see articles like this getting around. Many sites live by the whims of game publishers, maybe those days are coming to an end in the near future because these stories can't be ignored anymore.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If your response to this sort of thing is "Well I never liked their games anyway," you are setting yourself up for one hell of a nasty surprise later down the line as more and more of these stories come out. Don't assume your taste in games correlates with the devs' scruples.

Yep.

It's probably easier to find studios that don't have issues than ones that do have issues. Have any studios come out and said "hey we don't do this shit" since this stuff started to boil up these past few years?
The ones that do tend to end up having their own skeletons. For most, it's better to be silent than to be seen as hypocrites.

Last edited:

Verano

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wow that's fuckin harsh to be screamed at especially for 12 bux an hour for contract work. I hope the fame industry unionize real soon. I've lost interest in the mortal Kombat franchise since Armageddon and now I don't have interest in supporting future titles made by netherrealm

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
I'm delighted I held off buying the game now in hindsight. I'll never support shit like this in any fashion.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You think Netherrealm is the only company doing this? I guarantee you that a lot of big companies do this because whose is gonna stop them?
Nobody thinks this is unique. That doesn't mean it's okay and it shouldn't go under the radar. NRS should have their feet held up to the coals for this behavior.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
Having worked at NetherRealm as a contract engineer for 9 months I can also confirm the $12/hr starting wage is correct and is applied to at least to all junior temp positions, doesn't matter if you're an artist, qa or engineer (and isn't a livable wage anyway).

I never faced any of the crunch issues that others had but you did see a lot of temps going in and out of the studio, sort of a revolving door of employment.

Bogard

Oct 27, 2017
Damn...I honestly enjoy the game but I regret supporting the people at the top forcing crunch like this.