• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Last month I replayed the original on a 3DS XL and, my god... it's not playable at all hahaha, half of the playthrough is at menu changing itens and skiping dialogue boxes when you mistakenly touch a boulder without the power bracelets.

lol I LOVE the quality of life fixes they had for the Oracle games.

That exact issue in Oracle: (1) There's a text speed option, and (2) instead of a full long-ass sentence it literally just goes "Oof! Heavy!"

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The framerate dips were a common complaint from those that played it at E3, if they haven't fixed it by now I wouldn't hold out hopes for a patch.

I love the original so much but these issues combined with the price makes it seem like a really bad deal, especially with so much else to buy and play in the next few months.

The framerate was massively improved in the Gamescom Digital Foundry analysis compared to E3. I imagine it will be improved even more by launch.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? A great game with frame rate problems is still, in most respects, a great game.

For sure. At the same time, when a mediocre game's got issues like these it's kind of whatever, right? But when a game is really good, it sometimes magnifies otherwise minor blemishes because you just wish it'd be better. This one detail keeping it from otherwise being a fairly well-rounded experience. Obviously it's just factor of affect. Objectively it's indeed only a bullet point in the "negatives" column. Not talking about LA per se, of course. Haven't played that yet. Just something I noticed in myself at least. Most recently, it was with Dragon Quest Builders 2 (for Switch). I really love that game and how wholesome it is, but at a certain point the frame rate got bad enough that I couldn't bear playing it that way (holding out for a PC version!). Maybe it's just me who gets this way though! In any case, the frame rate issues in LA are a far cry from the lows DQB2 hits, thankfully.

Last edited:

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
So is it confirmed this has like frame rate issues that mess up the enjoyment of the game?

A quote in the OP says:

While this might sound like bad news, the frame rate drops in Link's Awakening don't affect my play experience. I still dispatch Moblins with ease, and I don't have a problem executing some of the game's trickier gymnastics, e.g. running and jumping with the Pegasus Boots/Roc's Feather combo.

The article also says:

Most importantly, I haven't noticed any frame rate drops at all in caves or dungeons. Dungeons run at an even 60 fps and are every bit as fun and challenging as you remember them.

To be honest, I didn't really get why the article was titled how it was, as my understanding is that the game isn't wildly inconsistent and the article itself downplays the performance issues that remain in the launch build. The subtitle is even "The small hitches in Link's Awakening don't spoil an otherwise wonderful Zelda adventure." So I don't understand why it's the headline.

Then again, I'd also say that Marin doesn't really drop beats, so maybe that's the point. :P

Last edited:

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Huh? A great game with frame rate problems is still, in most respects, a great game.

Hmmm no, not really. Games' interactive nature makes it essential that the player's input -the fluidity of the combat and movement, the gameplay experience- should be a top priority. A game with wild fps varience is a bad game, or at least held back from being great.There's no great game and poor performance imo. There is however different standards for different people.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For sure. At the same time, when a mediocre game's got issues like these it's kind of whatever, right? But when a game is really good, it sometimes magnifies otherwise minor blemishes because you just wish it'd be better. This one detail keeping it from otherwise being a fairly well-rounded experience. Obviously it's just factor of affect. Objectively it's indeed only a bullet point in the "negatives" column. Not talking about LA per se, of course. Haven't played that yet. Just something I noticed in myself at least. Most recently, it was with Dragon Quest Builders 2 (for Switch). I really love that game and how wholesome it is, but at a certain point the frame rate got bad enough that I couldn't bear playing it that way (holding out for a PC version!). Maybe it's just me who gets this way though! In any case, the frame rate issues in LA are a far cry from the lows DQB2 hits, thankfully.
You're not keeping in mind the genre being important as well as the drops themselves. There's a big difference between 'this other game drops too!' and a game that mostly isn't affected, like LA, dropping frames to still above 30 levels.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Hmmm no, not really. Games' interactive nature makes it essential that the player's input -the fluidity of the combat and movement, the gameplay experience- should be a top priority. A game with wild fps varience is a bad game, or at least held back from being great.There's no great game and poor performance imo. There is however different standards for different people.
????
breath of the wild ran like shit in certain areas and it was annoying but yo that is still my favourite game????

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017

I respectively and vehemently disagree. Look at Bloodborne for example - it has frame rate/frame pacing issues. Do I care? Not in the slightest. Bloodborne is still a really fantastic game and I couldn't give a flying f*ck about frame rate issues.

I really don't know why some people have this fixation on every game needing to run at 60fps. Where did it come from? Is it worth dismissing a game just because it won't run at a steady 60fps?

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Great games with unsteady framerate indeed exist, but those great games were usually:
- 100% new.
-Technically ambitious.

Link's Awakening is neither. While it is pretty, it relates more to the art style and it is not an overly complex game from a technical standpoint. On top of that, it remains at heart a Gameboy game, certainly not an open world with complex physics and weather simulation. Finally, being pretty is literally the only reason for this game to exist, rather than a straight port of the Gameboy game.
Not being technically flawless, especially as it's sold at full price, is in my opinion unacceptable.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
I respectively and vehemently disagree. Look at Bloodborne for example - it has frame rate/frame pacing issues. Do I care? Not in the slightest. Bloodborne is still a really fantastic game and I couldn't give a flying f*ck about frame rate issues.

I really don't know why some people have this fixation on every game needing to run at 60fps. Where did it come from? Is it worth dismissing a game just because it won't run at a steady 60fps?

It's an attitude peculiar to video games: subjective enjoyment must be affected by objective technicalities.

Funny cos I've been having a blast replaying stunt race fx just like I did with the snes original that often dipped to single figure fps.

If you enjoy a game and tech issues don't impede that enjoyment is an attitude that doesn't seem to compute with some folk.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
This is frankly pathetic optimisation. The game is not graphically demanding in the slightest.
60 -> 30 -> 60 framerate fluctuations really grind my gears, it is so jarring when you play the game. It is is perhaps the worst performance offense that game developers can do.
Those drops would be pretty jarring to me in terms of feel and I really hope they can optimise this a bit better.

I agree with all of these. Nintendo needs to set benchmarks for their third party remake projects.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
unacceptable. get it fixed Nintendo or i won't be buying it. i was gonna get it at launch but now i'll wait and see if there is a patch. a rock solid 60fps should be a given. no excuses for this kind of performance on a game like this.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
seriously what's up with nintendo IP and the framerate on switch? They used to be way better with this...

They should have used the ALBW engine, it was on 3DS and ran perfectly fine at 60 fps with some rare drops, but nothing big

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I often wonder if some people's existence is defined by how much they can gripe about something.

Take this game for example, if people aren't whining about the price they're moaning about the frame rate. And the game hasn't even been released yet.

What's wrong with some of you? Are you like this with everything in life? Nothing is perfect, and seeking absolute perfection is a road to misery.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, didn't know that Aonuma's comment about wanting to do a game where you can play as a thief was a subtle hint for this remake. Clever.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I often wonder if some people's existence is defined by how much they can gripe about something.

Take this game for example, if people aren't whining about the price they're moaning about the frame rate. And the game hasn't even been released yet.

What's wrong with some of you? Are you like this with everything in life? Nothing is perfect, and seeking absolute perfection is a road to misery.

complaining doesn't mean we can't enjoy things... it's still a day one game for me and i'm sure i'll love it! I still can say that find this terrible

just accepting everything without ever saying something is better to you? Bad things will be criticized, sometimes it leads to better products, and sometimes worse

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019

Unlike the other 2 consoles Nintendo doesn't appeal for its technical aspect so it's the smalles minority that gripes over this stuff in a case like this, but for me it's more that we live in an age of patching so I just wanna play the best experience. I'll give it a couple of months to check if they will have a fix and then make the jump

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Can you, like, not try to correlate talking about a game on a message board to someone's personal life?

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Great games with unsteady framerate indeed exist, but those great games were usually:
- 100% new.
-Technically ambitious.

Link's Awakening is neither. While it is pretty, it relates more to the art style and it is not an overly complex game from a technical standpoint. On top of that, it remains at heart a Gameboy game, certainly not an open world with complex physics and weather simulation. Finally, being pretty is literally the only reason for this game to exist, rather than a straight port of the Gameboy game.
Not being technically flawless, especially as it's sold at full price, is in my opinion unacceptable.

What's not 100% new in Link's Awakening apart from the story? You think this is the Gameboy engine LOL

The best sailors are always on the shore. Particularly here on this forum.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
You're not keeping in mind the genre being important as well as the drops themselves. There's a big difference between 'this other game drops too!' and a game that mostly isn't affected, like LA, dropping frames to still above 30 levels.

To be fair, I didn't intend to write an exhaustive essay on the subject of frame rate drops, so I'm sure there are plenty of holes to shoot in that post 😇

While LA staying above 30 is good, yes, it will definitely never feel as good to play as A Link Between Worlds or The Wind Waker, which hit their target frame rates with rare exceptions. In addition to that, 30-20 frame drops (and the associated havoc to frame pacing, inconsistent input delay) are nothing to sneeze at, again, even if it's all above 30.

Many won't mind of course, and I won't tell them they're categorically wrong for feeling that way.

Last edited:

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Man people love to downplay the look of this game huh? I guess because it's top down it's not considered technically advanced? Look at all the modern rendering techniques used, the DOF, the lightning... It's absolutely a very advanced looking game that heavily strains the hardware. Why do you think it runs at a lower resolution and can't lock framerate, out of sheer devs incompetence? Or maybe the game is actually power hungry.

Reminds me of the people that couldn't believe Octopath Traveler didn't run at native resolution "But it's a 2D game!" Meanwhile the game recommends a 1060 to run it decently on Steam.

I'm not excusing the bad framerate by the way, just this idea that it's not technically advanced because it's a remake of a gameboy game or because ALBW ran at 60fps (lol).

Last edited:

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
People freaking out about this should wait until all the facts are out. That's all I'mma say for now 😉

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
People freaking out about this should wait until all the facts are out. That's all I'mma say for now 😉
tenor.gif

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Would be nice if someone *hint hint wink nudge nudge* could explain the erratic framerate fluctuations in that video in the OP because it is honestly jarring and confusing. But I guess we have to be patient.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Would be nice if someone *hint hint wink nudge nudge* could explain the erratic framerate fluctuations in that video in the OP because it is honestly jarring and confusing. But I guess we have to be patient.

It would also be nice if there were something that could be done about that framerate. I wonder...

Ok I really need to leave now, lol

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Odd. Based on that video, it doesn't suffer from the typical hard frame drops and stuttering you see from a game with performance issues. Whenever the framerate goes down, it does so very smoothly. Gentle waves rather than the "stock ticker" up and down. Seems like an intentional design thing. Makes me think it won't be that noticeable. Watching the footage and not looking at the graph, it barely registers.
The graph is just sampling over a longer period than digital foundry etc. Look at the frametime graph, you can see the "hard drops".

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless there's a patch coming, nothing is going to help this. Knowing why the framerate is being unstable isn't going to actually improve the experience.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I know it's been mentioned before, but I really wish they would have just gone for a locked 30 for the whole game rather than jumping around.

I realize something is being alluded to in the very posts above mine, but until there's something concrete (be it a patch or a frame rate lock option) I will still be disheartened a bit

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the title of the article is ridiculously click-baity anyway.

For the record, I never alluded to this. You'll see what I mean soon.
🤔

I know it's been mentioned before, but I really wish they would have just gone for a locked 30 for the whole game rather than jumping around.
this isn't really a case of terrible 60, i'm sure the end product with be solid 60 with rare drops, which is more preferable (at least to me) than locked 30.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
I thought this was fixed. I guess people just stopped mentioning it?
Most people expected Nintendo to fix it, but I guess the didn't.
Based on a couple posts back, looks like a patch might be coming? Or at least hinted at

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Based on a couple posts back, looks like a patch might be coming? Or at least hinted at
Indeed, but until it's concrete, I can only go with what's provided

Really didn't mean to cause confusion.

I'm not hinting at a patch. We will be releasing a video soon that covers performance and what can be done about fixing it.

Now there are people who might be wondering how that's possible. All I can say is to wait for the video because I do have the receipts.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Really didn't mean to cause confusion.

I'm not hinting at a patch. We will be releasing a video soon that covers performance and what can be done about fixing it.

Now there are people who might be wondering how that's possible. All I can said is to wait for the video because I do have the receipts.

Ah, so something like a cold boot improving performance then?