• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MagitekDad

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely a big deal. I'm nowhere near someone who worries about frame rate, but I noticed it without seconds of booting up game.

It's not the fact that the frame rate is terrible, but the fact that it is constant and drops from 60 to 30-40 constantly.

Initially, i thought it was a design decision when leaving houses, being deep in battle, but nope.

Obviously, it doesn't make it anywhere near unplayable and it's a fantastic game, but to say it's not a big deal would be pure fanboyism.

I mean, I don't think it's a big deal. And I certainly wouldn't say it's constant. Neither would IGN, GameXplain, or USGamer. Like I said, it's noticeable when it happens, but constant framerate drops of 20 or more simply wasn't my experience. Everyone's milage will vary, but to call it fanboyism when something genuinely doesn't bother you is disingenuous.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
No, it seems you're mistaken.

While it isn't a reimagining in terms of game design, it is not a remaster or port. It shares zero code or assets from the original.

Like RE2 Remake.
Unlike say GTAV or TLOA on PS4.

The design itself being the same is immaterial when it shares zero code or assets from the original.

Lol what? I never said it shared code or assets with the original. I think we're having separate conversations here.

I was correcting a poster who said it was a new game that "just follows the story beats of the original game". It doesn't just follow the story beats of the original, it literally is that story.

I'm not talking about the technical elements of the game at all.

It's fairly obvious this version doesn't run Gameboy code lol.

Last edited:

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going to have to wait until I can emulate this at 4K/120fps /s

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Lol what? I never said it shared code or assets with the original. I think we're having separate conversations here.

I was correcting a poster who said it was a new game that "just follows the story beats of the original game". It doesn't just follow the story beats of the original, it literally is that story.

I'm not talking about the technical elements of the game at all.

It's fairly obvious this version doesn't run Gameboy code lol.
The poster you quoted was responding to:

I bloody expect that a Gameboy remake, originally running at 60fps (mostly) on a potato hardware, will run at 60fps on XB360 level hardware in 2019 !
And their reply
calling this a simple remake "of a gameboy game" is like calling Resident Evil 2 Remake a simple remake of a PS1 game or FF7 Remake etc. It's basically a new game, it just follows the story beats of the original game.
Is clearly referencing that it's as much of a technical leap/change from the original Game Boy game as RE2 Remake is a technical change from the original PS1 game.

The discussion is technical, whether the story or progression is changed is immaterial. On a technical level it is almost exactly It like the RE2 or FF7 remakes.

You've hooked onto the 'story beats' phrase to try and break it down into the remake/reimagining distinction, which is irrelevant in context, the discussion is technical. That is, the actual point is that if someone complained about the framerate in the RE2 Remake and said "I bloody expect that a PS1 remake, originally running at 60fps (mostly) on a potato hardware, will run at 60fps on PS4 level hardware in 2019!" it would be equally stupid when they have zero code or assets in common too.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
I played it at SDCC two months ago and I definitely noticed a drop here and there but it never reduced my enjoyment of the game.

God this game is so pretty.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Bububu but people Here kept telling me that it would be fixed for launch qnd that Nintendo NEVER released a game with dream drops.

Aug 27, 2018
You've hooked onto the 'story beats' phrase to try and break it down into the remake/reimagining distinction, which is irrelevant in context, the discussion is technical. That is, the actual point is that if someone complained about the framerate in the RE2 Remake and said "I bloody expect that a PS1 remake, originally running at 60fps (mostly) on a potato hardware, will run at 60fps on PS4 level hardware in 2019!" it would be equally stupid when they have zero code or assets in common too.
...that is literally what I'm arguing though? The way this game RUNS, you know how I mentioned the engine in a later post? Is completely different, what I'm saying is it's silly to act like this is a Game Boy port while talking about the technical aspects of it. I honestly don't even know what you're arguing here. My ENTIRE argument is that people seem to act like this is a Game Boy port when arguing about the technical side when it's a new engine and obviously has different technical hurdles.

Edit: Leaving this up because I'm dumb and want everyone to know it.

Last edited:

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
This is one of my favorite games of all time and deserves better optimization. :( I mean, it really should have been possible to get a locked 60 fps on a Game Boy game remake on Switch, even with a different art-style. Oh well, at least the game will run at a locked 60 fps on the inevitable Switch Pro / Switch 2 at some point... still I hope that enough people complain that a fix is in the works.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The video in the OP is terrible, people downplaying this as "i am sure i will enjoy the game regardless" are missing the point. this is a real bad optimization work and for other people like me it is clearly visible to the point where this choppiness affects the enjoyment of the title immensely or at worse induces a headache. this is fluctuating like crazy in some areas.

considering this is not the first title struggling on the Switch i think it is fair to say that the device is underpowered for 2019, it just has not enough ram imo.

Astral Chain at 30fps and with severe aliasing was also a bummer, would have loved to play this on a more beefy hardware-basically what i think when playing any title on the Switch is "ah well, this would have been better on another hardware". Three Houses was also bad.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. That's quite literally all over the place. And those frame times. It's a cardiogram! What a bummer. It would be good if they have an optional 30 fps mode. Youtube processing won't give you a good idea of the feel of playing this, but such wild swings from 60 or 50 to 30 will be noticeable and, for many, unpleasant.

Link Between Worlds felt absolutely amazing to play. Just fantastic feedback and smoothness. I'm surprised Nintendo didn't prioritize consistency.

Last edited:
Handheld impressions

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I don't think it's a big deal. And I certainly wouldn't say it's constant. Neither would IGN, GameXplain, or USGamer. Like I said, it's noticeable when it happens, but constant framerate drops of 20 or more simply wasn't my experience. Everyone's milage will vary, but to call it fanboyism when something genuinely doesn't bother you is disingenuous.

I read that you played it docked, and I'm guessing the person that captured this video played it docked too.

I played it handheld and it was extremely noticeable and all over the place, and considering the Lite is releasing alongside this game (which has no docked option), I think it's a lot more valid to start judging games on how they run in handheld mode. There literally will be NO other option on the system launching on the same day as this game.

Rezbit

Oct 26, 2017
Really hope they can patch this up. It sucks in general that frame rate is often not a primary concern. I don't have a powerful PC and trying to play games now even on an original PS4 is painful a lot of the time.

Miscend

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of examples of UE4 games on switch with perfectly fine frame rates. Resolution on the other hand...
I have doubts. Even Digital Foundry have doubts about 60fps UE4 games on Switch.

Bloodstained for example has performance issues on Switch. Everything thing else UE4 runs at 30.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
...that is literally what I'm arguing though? The way this game RUNS, you know how I mentioned the engine in a later post? Is completely different, what I'm saying is it's silly to act like this is a Game Boy port while talking about the technical aspects of it. I honestly don't even know what you're arguing here. My ENTIRE argument is that people seem to act like this is a Game Boy port when arguing about the technical side when it's a new engine and obviously has different technical hurdles.
Read my post whole, I was supporting what you said.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Oh no, I really should not have pre-ordered this. Please patch in an option to lock the framerate to 30. I would prefer that to the wild swings.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Genuinely think I'll cancel my pre order. It's one of my favourite games of all time and Nintendo has had an amazing year so far. I've bought so many games this year that I could do with the break.

I really hope this gets more attention and is fixed.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Unless the game drops frames constantly and never reaches 60...that statement is wrong.
Nah I think they're right. I prefer high framerates, but consistent framerates even more. I'd prefer an option for a 30fps lock if the framerate is fluctuating frequently and there's no VRR.

Honestly I'm surprised this is even an issue for this game, as Nintendo games rarely have framerate issues and most of their games on Switch are a locked 60.

parski

Nov 13, 2017
Oh man. I'm praying for patches and more powerful hardware. I would hate for this experience to be tainted by framerate issues.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah I think they're right. I prefer high framerates, but consistent framerates even more. I'd prefer an option for a 30fps lock if the framerate is fluctuating frequently and there's no VRR.

Honestly I'm surprised this is even an issue for this game, as Nintendo games rarely have framerate issues and most of their games on Switch are a locked 60.

Not for me, I can't imagine playing Bayonetta at locked 30fps. I don't care how many times it falls to 40,because it feels way more responsive and fluid even like that.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
It'd be interesting to dissect what is causing the choppiness and sweeping framerate inconsistencies. My guess is a data streaming barrier, particularly the with the RAM, as the Switch's bandwidth is miserable.

In play this probably wont bother me too much, even though I'm a stickler for high framerates (thanks, PC), just because the nature of the game. I'm more surprised than anything. Zelda games always have dips. And every first party Switch game does (except maybe Mario Kart). But they generally try to keep it as locked as possible.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
For a first party game sold at full price, which only interest as compared to the GBC counterpart is the visual overhaul, this not a good look. I wonder how fast the game was developed.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Not to mention that calling this a simple remake "of a gameboy game" is like calling Resident Evil 2 Remake a simple remake of a PS1 game or FF7 Remake etc. It's basically a new game, it just follows the story beats of the original game.
Thanks for you very pertinent example. Resident evil 2 was running at only 30fps on PS1. They actually doubled the target framerate on current consoles. They didn't halved it.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
This is actually super disappointing to me as someone who was contemplating finally picking up a switch for this and Astral Chain
Not for me, I can't imagine playing Bayonetta at locked 30fps. I don't care how many times it falls to 40,because it feels way more responsive and fluid even like that.
Difference is that Bayonetta didn't use vsync

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is it possible the Famitsu review was affected by this? In any case its slightly disappointing, especially for such a high profile game.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Man i just recently played Ocarina of Time 3D and A Link Between Worlds back to back and the first thing I really noticed is the buttery smooth framerate of ALBW.

Man, I would have taken 60 fps over shiny graphics for LA.

Nov 4, 2017

God damn it, that stutter is really gonna give me a headache during play, I really hope they patch this.

Is that frame rate oscillation by design? As in are they intentionally doubling up every 5th frame or something to hit 60 frames, but then when it can't hit the 50 it's going to shit? Or is the inconsistency just confusing the analyser?

I hope this gets fixed, but already preordered the game and will get it anyway.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Is that frame rate oscillation by design? As in are they intentionally doubling up every 5th frame or something to hit 60 frames, but then when it can't hit the 50 it's going to shit? Or is the inconsistency just confusing the analyser?

I hope this gets fixed, but already preordered the game and will get it anyway.

I'm guessing it's something to do with their v-sync technic. I preordered the game as well and I'll be playing it regardless, I just hope the frame pacing isn't too bad as it'll be my first playthrough of links awakening and I don't want to get a migraine because of it.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017
I'm guessing it's something to do with their v-sync technic. I preordered the game as well and I'll be playing it regardless, I just hope the frame pacing isn't too bad as it'll be my first playthrough of links awaking and I don't want to get a migraine because of it.
I feel you. This is one of my top 10 games of all time, but I'm super sensitive to getting headaches and nausea from frame issues. I'd hate for one of my most beloved games to be ruined for me by significant framerate/pacing issues, and would be disappointed if newcomers like yourself have a negative experience of this excellent game.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Ooohhhh that drop from 60fps to 30fps is glaring. Also the frame pacing is terrible in parts. I hope it doesnt affect my experience too much but think il struggle. I got dragon builders 2 on the switch and regret it because performance is poor.

Why no 30fps lock??