• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People would have lost their shit.

"LITERALLY unplayable!!1!!"

Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't the original Link's Awakening ran at a constant 60fps on a gameboy. Having a remake of that game be 30fps would be pretty embarrassing. As cool as this visual style looks it doesn't look like anything that should prevent the game from reaching 60, especially since A Link Between Worlds managed it on the 3DS.
30FPS makes sense for something like BOTW but not so much with this game.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still not fixed huh? Shame, unstable FPS is terrible.

People kept arguing during E3 that they would fix this, it seems that didn't happen yet some still keep saying "they will fix this later".

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Odd. Based on that video, it doesn't suffer from the typical hard frame drops and stuttering you see from a game with performance issues. Whenever the framerate goes down, it does so very smoothly. Gentle waves rather than the "stock ticker" up and down. Seems like an intentional design thing. Makes me think it won't be that noticeable. Watching the footage and not looking at the graph, it barely registers.

if anything it seems like a bug or double buffering. Ever switch between 30 and 60fps on TLOU PS4? No one thinks that feels good, in fact it makes the 30fps feel even worse than it actually is.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I'm a huge fan of the original Link's Awakening, but this remake keeps disappointing me like crazy. The performance issues, the lack of almost any new content, the new content being super uninteresting to me, I'm just really not interested at all. Maybe I'll pick it up if they do a Nintendo Selects type thing with this game and offer it at like 20 dollars, but it's a shame. I thought I'd be more excited but I can't find a reason to be.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I highly doubt switch pro will happen in a way that would turn 30fps games into 60fps games.

I would expect something much more in line with 3DS -> n3DS or XB1 -> XB1S in terms of relative game performance.

3DS -> n3DS was a huge performance boost. It took unplayable garbage like Hyrule Warriors Legends to something that arguably ran better than the Wii U version.
I wish we got something like that.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
if anything it seems like a bug or double buffering. Ever switch between 30 and 60fps on TLOU PS4? No one thinks that feels good, in fact it makes the 30fps feel even worse than it actually is.

Yeah, it definitely isn't doing your typical framerate drops. We see it go from 60 to 30 very quickly in the US Gamer video, often when it doesn't seem like there's a lot going on. Most bizarrely, right before the player pick's up Roc's Feather.

This is actually worse than if it was just "Can't get the framerate locked to 60 all the time", because it results in a very jarring transition and just feels bad. I wonder why they've done it this way? I would very much prefer a locked 30 to this, myself.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
Like most Switch games, there's probably a day 1 update to address performance issues. Either way, this is a day 1 game for me.

This has been an issue since E3. While I"m sure we may receive performance improvements in the future I highly doubt it's going to be running perfect. Also, I feel like the day 1 patches are usually with games that have an online component.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Odd. Based on that video, it doesn't suffer from the typical hard frame drops and stuttering you see from a game with performance issues. Whenever the framerate goes down, it does so very smoothly. Gentle waves rather than the "stock ticker" up and down. Seems like an intentional design thing. Makes me think it won't be that noticeable. Watching the footage and not looking at the graph, it barely registers.
This is actually very true.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So strange it's not a looker of a game so what is it doing? Just maybe some weird coding? Is the depth of field effect really that damaging?

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
GameXplain said it seems like a map streaming issue, the framerate goes down each time it has load new parts of the map into memory, and I guess a performance drop from that coupled with double buffered VSync is whats pulling the framerate down

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a 60fps or bust guy, but following A Link Between Worlds which moved, looked, felt and played fantastic at 60, it is something people are gonna want to see from all 2D Zeldas going forward.

Gaiaknight

Oct 25, 2017
GameXplain said it seems like a map streaming issue, the framerate goes down each time it has load new parts of the map into memory, and I guess a performance drop from that coupled with double buffered VSync is whats pulling the framerate down
with how quick and smooth it goes from 60 to 30 and then corrects itself there is something going on and with what you said that makes since.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't the original Link's Awakening ran at a constant 60fps on a gameboy. Having a remake of that game be 30fps would be pretty embarrassing. As cool as this visual style looks it doesn't look like anything that should prevent the game from reaching 60, especially since A Link Between Worlds managed it on the 3DS.
30FPS makes sense for something like BOTW but not so much with this game.

Link's Awakening didn't hold a stable framerate (it had lots of noticeable slowdown), and it originally came out on the brick model GameBoy so tons of blur whenever anything moved. Later models like the GB pocket solved the blur issues, but the slowdown wasn't addressed until the DX version that came out for the GameBoy Color in 1998.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I don't think I will have an issue with that, I didn't have an issue with BotW and that was probably far worse.
My first visit to Korok forest was quite something lol, but yeah, some people won't mind as much as others and that's fine, but I won't argue against those who'd rather have a smooth framerate and I won't certainly downplay this issue.

MagitekDad

Oct 25, 2017
I've played it. There are some noticeable dips, but it's really not bad and it's not constant. It wasn't anywhere near enough to affect gameplay. There wasn't a single dip in the dungeon I played.

Make of it what you will. That's just my experience.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I had a bad feeling when the framerate was all over the place even in the most recent trailer they put out. ALBW felt so good to play at 60 but, like someone in the thread said before, nobody really expects 60FPS from a Zelda game. Not even the HD remasters reach 60. I don't know why Nintendo would try and fail to hit 60 rather than just aiming for 30 from the jump.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I've played it. There are some noticeable dips, but it's really not bad and it's not constant. It wasn't anywhere near enough to affect gameplay. There wasn't a single dip in the dungeon I played.

Make of it what you will. That's just my experience.
How was handheld mode for you if you don't mind me asking? Especially the resolution?

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a non-issue. People who go apeshit over something not being a completely solid 60fps have always been baffling to me.

Apr 21, 2018
I'm not really sure if unlocked 60 or locked 30 would have been better, but when I watched the videos, I barely notice. As long as it doesn't drop well below 30.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Basically the only Zelda games with no frame rate drops on the Switch are the first three from 30 years ago.
Nice.

I'll buy it anyway, but I was hoping for it to be super smooth.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
50 FPS target? That's even worse.

Amen.

Nobody expects 60 FPS from a Zelda game.
Their last remake of a 2D Zelda game running on a 3DS was running at 60fps (mostly). I bloody expect that a Gameboy remake, originally running at 60fps (mostly) on a potato hardware, will run at 60fps on XB360 level hardware in 2019 !

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
I expected more from Nintendo's famous polish. The framerate is crazy unstable. Going from 60 fps to 30 fps in the same area. Or running at 40 and 50ish for a long time. Unacceptable. Hopefully they can patch it.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
*Reads USGamer say its not that big a deal*
*Watches video test and sees it drop from 60 to 30 (and below) on the REGULAR.*

Hmmmm.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely a big deal. I'm nowhere near someone who worries about frame rate, but I noticed it without seconds of booting up game.

It's not the fact that the frame rate is terrible, but the fact that it is constant and drops from 60 to 30-40 constantly.

Initially, i thought it was a design decision when leaving houses, being deep in battle, but nope.

Obviously, it doesn't make it anywhere near unplayable and it's a fantastic game, but to say it's not a big deal would be pure fanboyism.

Oct 25, 2017
Their last remake of a 2D Zelda game running on a 3DS was running at 60fps (mostly). I bloody expect that a Gameboy remake, originally running at 60fps (mostly) on a potato hardware, will run at 60fps on XB360 level hardware in 2019 !
giphy.gif

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Ick imagine wanting a remake of a 2d game to be 30 frames.

They should have optimized better for a stable 60 frames. The switch's lack of horsepower is way too limiting.

Sorbete

Oct 30, 2017
Call it "pure fanboyism" if you want but when I watched the video without paying attention to the lines and numbers I didn't notice problems. I mean I'm grateful that I can't notice those kind of things because it won't ruin any game for me.