• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in for the nostalgia alone. Can't hold me back. Shame about the frames but I'll live. First ive heard of the upgraded overworld theme...I think I like the old one better lol

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
My point wasn't to "get em." I mainly just wanted to point out how people blindly support company X (Nintendo, Sony, whoever) when company X does something that objectively sucks.

Having said that, I think the game's art style is awesome and I will be playing this game at some point this year. Framerate drops suck, though, especially when they seem to be this extreme and frequent.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Not surprising to hear, it's UE4, isn't it? You need to optimize the fuck out of your games to get them to run at a solid 60 on Switch.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm currently testing this for review. (We at Ars tend to skip these "preview" embargo opportunities.) The frame rank indeed drops from 60 to 30 and then back to 60 on a pretty regular basis, and it seems to have something to do with asset streaming, when entering some new indoor or outdoor scene, as opposed to anything about particular effects or geometry overwhelming the Switch.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like yesterday that people were saying "don't worry about the framerate, there's no way Nintendo will release it at less than 60fps." Now we're doing the "oh, I'm sure I'll get used to it" and "no biggie."
I mean, it's not a big deal lol.

It's improved from E3 showing anyway, even if it's not perfect

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Is a shame, though I suppose the original dropped frames a fair bit too so not too inaccurate :p Though there it slowed gameplay down as opposed to getting choppier

Makes me wish we could disable the depth of field effect, with that not being my preference anyway and it could potentially help performance a bit

I'm currently testing this for review. (We at Ars tend to skip these "preview" embargo opportunities.) The frame rank indeed drops from 60 to 30 and then back to 60 on a pretty regular basis, and it seems to have something to do with asset streaming, when entering some new indoor or outdoor scene, as opposed to anything about particular effects or geometry overwhelming the Switch.

Huh, that's interesting. Wonder if there are differences in playing from cart/SD Card/Switch internal memory. Potentially not as it may be an engine quirk, still it got me thinking of cases where SSD improved performance on PC games

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Here is an of screen footage of the game in handheld, looks great and seems to run decent too.

VAPORxDYNE

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks that so many people give framerate issues a free pass. This is going to continue being an issue if people keep downplaying the importance of framerate. It's unfortunate that people don't give a fuck if a game runs horribly as long as it looks pretty. Oh, well. Considering games are $60, I wouldn't mind paying an extra $200 for a switch pro in order to play all these games without framerate issues.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
Hoping they fix with the patch but if not it's disappointing that yet another developer didn't optimize for a solid locked 30 and instead chose a bouncing frame rate. I'm not pro 30 / anti 60, I'm pro locked/ solid fps regardless of the number the developer was able to get performance or stylistically

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
It's a big deal when the game literally has frame drops in the trailers too.

It didn't, at least not the DX version. I literally played through it last week.

Ah that's likely a difference between OG and DX versions aye, I'm more familiar with OG having only played DX on 3DS. I suspect the higher specs of GBC improved performance

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Framerate literally affects the play experience, but ok, you're good, then I suppose you have nothing more to discuss in this thread.
Well, the linked article which the thread is based in says the same:

While this might sound like bad news, the frame rate drops in Link's Awakening don't affect my play experience.

So is basically a YMMY. :p

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Drops from 60 to 30? How does that happen on a remake of a Gameboy game? Just doesn't make any sense remake an old classic with significant performance issues.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks that so many people give framerate issues a free pass. This is going to continue being an issue if people keep downplaying the importance of framerate. It's unfortunate that people don't give a fuck if a game runs horribly as long as it looks pretty. Oh, well. Considering games are $60, I wouldn't mind paying an extra $200 for a switch pro in order to play all these games without framerate issues.
In no way does the game run "horribly" wtf?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure who you're quoting, considering nobody used the term "slide show" but you.

Fake quotes to exaggerate others' opinions never fails to grind my gears.
It's a joke dude. I frequently see people complain about games being 30fps. And while it thankfully doesn't happen much anymore I very much used to see "slideshow" and "unplayable" thrown around.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Looks like a slide show

Give me a switch pro nintendo, this looks like a unplayable mess

tenor.gif

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There still seems to be a scene-loading mechanic that blurs the scenery above and below until Link enters the area.
I am 100% positive that this is actually a visual effect to achieve the miniature optic the art style is going for...

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Huh, that's interesting. Wonder if there are differences in playing from cart/SD Card/Switch internal memory. Potentially not as it may be an engine quirk, still it got me thinking of cases where SSD improved performance on PC games

I had the same thought. If any of Nintendo's regional PR teams send cartridges ahead of launch, that may very well get tested at length by someone. We're currently working with a download code.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Well, the linked article which the thread is based in says the same:

While this might sound like bad news, the frame rate drops in Link's Awakening don't affect my play experience.

So is basically a YMMY. :p
Oh of course it's a YMMV situation, and I've been saying it's a minor issue all thread, but saying framerate dips don't affect the experience is false.
Whoever's saying the game runs horribly is wrong too, it didn't ran terribly back during E3, it ain't running terribly now either.
I'm gonna play, not even notice the frame rate issues, and have an amazing time 🤷‍♂️
But then we get posts like this one and it's like a different version of posting "I have no Joycon issues" in a thread about Nintendo fixing the joycon drift for free.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Drops from 60 to 30? How does that happen on a remake of a Gameboy game? Just doesn't make any sense remake an old classic with significant performance issues.
It's not triple buffered, so whenever the framerate drops below 60 it just locks to 30. I'm not sure why the developers would do this but someone with more technical knowledge than me could probably answer.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disappointing. I rather have stable 30fps than this dropping mess. Will wait for reviews and maybe wait for a patch.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I noticed this when I played the game a couple times at E3. It is a bit distracting to be sure. Had really hoped this would be ironed out before launch. Still grabbing the game though.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
What on earth is with people claiming that it automatically should run at 60 with no hitches because it's a gameboy game remake? What on earth are you talking about? If this game looked like fucking Cyberpunk 2077 visually would you still be claiming it should easily hit 60 because it's a gameboy remake? The fact it's a gameboy remake could barely be less relevant to performance.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
People saying 'framerate drops don't effect me' is just baffling.
Never mind it feels bad to play if the framerate is bouncing around all over the place, but it effects input latency as well.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This is Grezzo's first HD title, It's understandable
Plenty of devs have trouble getting their games to perform well at steady 60 with a bunch of HD game dev experience - on Switch and on other systems.

Lets hope they can adress it via a patch down the line.
Its def. a downgrade coming from that sweet ALBW on 3DS framerate.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising to hear, it's UE4, isn't it? You need to optimize the fuck out of your games to get them to run at a solid 60 on Switch.
not sure UE4 has been confirmed has it?

well, we'll know soon, since the logo will flash when you start up.

People have review copies, so they should know by now right...

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
People saying 'framerate drops don't effect me' is just baffling.
Never mind it feels bad to play if the framerate is bouncing around all over the place, but it effects input latency as well.

The thought of someone playing Link's Awakening and going "ah, dammit the input latency fucked me there" is bizarre to me.

Nobody is going to do that, right?

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The more I look at the footage in the OP the more confused I am. Like, it makes no sense to me that it would lock to 50fps in some areas. I don't remember the E3 or GamesCom builds looking like that. Is this a new thing?

skysthelimit

Jan 16, 2019
But then we get posts like this one and it's like a different version of posting "I have no Joycon issues" in a thread about Nintendo fixing the joycon drift for free.
It's because some people, especially around here, act as if a game is unplayable if it's not 60FPS. A lot of people, like me, that have no idea about game development. All I'm saying is that some people will sensationalise the headline as if it will ruin the game which just isn't true.