• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
It troubles me SONY continues to neglect multiplayer this generation.

I don't see how...and this was more of a ND thing where they wanted to focus on the SP aspect. They are hiring for MP but for what game is unknown

Also are we gonna act like MP games are suffering to the point Sony is obligated to provide MP games? I don't think they are. Yea they could but there's really no need to when their SP games sell more than enough and are highly polished majority of the time.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
That really makes me curious about how they're going to monetize the game considering they went full force with mtx in TLOU and UC4
Sony had nothing with God of War in that regard, so it's probably not a priority anymore. Though the MP team is seemingly working on something, so will probably get the microtransactions in that.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'am not big into multiplayer but TLOU had really fun online, kind of a shame but I'am mostly looking forward to the single player anyway.

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Oh and for them to just kind of casually drop this on the game's first big press reveal is also pretty shitty, not going to lie.

I was really excited to absorb all of the Part II stuff today, but this bit of news being casually dropped alongside everything has really soured my excitement.

I'm still going to play the game of course, and, as others have said, they probably fully know this from a numbers/stats perspective ("Axing multiplayer will have a negligible impact on sales..."), so I guess it's not too surprising. But it is incredibly disappointing.

It's like the exact opposite issue of the social/economical/psychological forces that nudge contemporary game design. Where instead of the game coming out and being a free-to-play, character/class/multi-role based multiplayer with a vibrant, expressive, multicultural-tinged aesthetic with a focus on player retention/engagement and continual in-app purchases as the monetization method; The Last of Us Part II is fully leaning into the other direction and cutting out its unique, tactical multiplayer as a result. It's pretty fucking sad, honestly. Yes, it'll be a great single player game. But the game could have been an incredible product that satisfied multiple desires.

Tight, clean, elegant multiplayer design such as Factions in the original seems like it just cannot exist today in the industry's current form.
I aint even reading the previews anymore

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
But the multiplayer was amazing...so they aren't.

2dmk14.jpg

their strength is single player and storytelling. That's what people bring up when they talk about TLOI, not the multiplayer.

This.

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
I played it and found it average at best. I was never a fan of TLOU MP, my friends tried to get me into it but it never clicked with me. I'm glad more resources are being put into the main reason I'm buying the game. If the lack of MP means ND will produce the best and most ambitious story they've ever done them I'm all up for it.

I think the same, and it goes for the other way around too. Some games really shine on the mulitplayer side, but they consume a lot of time and money to craft some mediocre single player content. Resources that would be much better spent on what the game is really good at.

And for TLOUII, the game has TWO DISCS only for the single player content??!

Holy moly, it's going to be a wild ride and I'm INNNNNNNNNNN

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I don't see how...and this was more of a ND thing where they wanted to focus on the SP aspect. They are hiring for MP but for what game is unknown

Also are we gonna act like MP games are suffering to the point Sony is obligated to provide MP games? I don't think they are. Yea they could but there's really no need to when their SP games sell more than enough and are highly polished majority of the time.

I don't think anybody is arguing that even remotely... I'm not sure how you jumped to that point from reading that. I will say for my personal tastes sony made my favorite MP games, and it's been sorely lacking this generation. That being said the mp market is as big as ever. I just prefered sonys games to others, it was a major reason I went ps3 over 360.

Warhawk and starhawk
Resistance 1 in particular, 2 was ok
uc2 was god tier, 3 was solid
TLOU factions was incredible
KZ2>>>>>3

Killzone shadow fall was a bummer, UC4 was a step up from 3, but not nearly as good as 2. Not sure what their other major 1st parties had for MP, I'm sure I'm missing some.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
TLOU already had a tried and proven MP that could've used some iteration
And they cut it. You asked how will they monetise the game without it didn't you? They will probably just have an expansion maybe or like God of War just the base game no microtransactions attached. I wouldn't expect them to just try and slam the MP microtransactions into the SP mode, just be a bad look trying to sell skins when Spidey did all that for no additional cost.

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I really enjoyed it back in the day. But I was never good at it.

Felt very unique. Kinda like MGO.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's coming out later.. good lord.
I think it'll be separate game based on their wording, they are being pretty clear with no MP. But I do think there is a TLoU MP something in the works based on the job listings and apparently a lead saying they were working on something big, though I can't find a source on that.

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
I hope to god we get a multiplayer mode. I enjoyed it more then the single player campaign.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Here's hoping it releases at some point. I was looking forward to the pvp multiplayer as much as the campaign.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I think that's fantastic. Not every game needs to have a multiplayer component and it's refreshing to see a dev -- especially a huge dev working on a AAA game -- going all in on making the best single-player experience they can instead of throwing resources at multiplayer just to check off a feature box.

Plus, I loved what I played of The Last of Us Part II at the demo event a couple days ago, so I'm glad they're focusing entirely on that solo experience. A billion other games offer robust multiplayer alongside their single-player campaign, so I don't think the fact that one doesn't is a big deal. That's just me, though. I don't enjoy most online multiplayer, so I'm obviously biased toward this not affecting me personally.

Oct 31, 2017
People who disparage Factions multiplayer have questionable taste lmfao.

I unlocked the Skull Mask on both the PS3 and PS4, so I played a bit and was quite familiar with how it played and let me tell you, shit was special.

Really, most of Sony's PS3-era multiplayer games were criminally underrated, with TLoU maybe actually the most underrated/overlooked. And I'm quite sad that people not recognizing the brilliance of Sony's studios multiplayer games last generation has led to them producing very little in the way of multiplayer throughout the PS4's lifespan, culminating in this piece of disappointing news.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I don't think anybody is arguing that even remotely... I'm not sure how you jumped to that point from reading that. I will say for my personal tastes sony made my favorite MP games, and it's been sorely lacking this generation. That being said the mp market is as big as ever. I just prefered sonys games to others, it was a major reason I went ps3 over 360.

Warhawk and starhawk
Resistance 1 in particular, 2 was ok
uc2 was god tier, 3 was solid
TLOU factions was incredible
KZ2>>>>>3

Killzone shadow fall was a bummer, UC4 was a step up from 3, but not nearly as good as 2. Not sure what their other major 1st parties had for MP, I'm sure I'm missing some.

I wasn't arguing that at all. I was making a point that most of Sony's exclusives lack MP so its hard to say they arbitrarily failed just because their studios didn't make MP focused games or games with a MP component.

Can't really say they dropped the ball but they definitely haven't been focusing on MP like that this gen just because their studios just don't have an interest in doing so.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
And they cut it. You asked how will they monetise the game without it didn't you? They will probably just have an expansion maybe or like God of War just the base game no microtransactions attached. I wouldn't expect them to just try and slam the MP microtransactions into the SP mode, just be a bad look trying to sell skins when Spidey did all that for no additional cost.
Somehow I feel like this game cost quite a bit more to develop than Spiderman..

You're right; ok, let's get those developers back to the sweat shop!!
I mean it's an ND game, cutting MP isn't gonna magically make the crunch go away.

Turdburger

Oct 27, 2017
I think that's fantastic. Not every game needs to have a multiplayer component and it's refreshing to see a dev -- especially a huge dev working on a AAA game -- going all in on making the best single-player experience they can instead of throwing resources at multiplayer just to check off a feature box.

this multiplayer wasn't a "box check" to the people complaining. it was a completely unique take on tactical shooter multiplayer gameplay that you couldn't get anywhere else.

I understand that it's not for everyone, but it ended up being far more than an afterthought to check a box. i wish Naughty Dog had embraced that along with their single player ambition that rather than throwing it in the toilet

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Plus, I loved what I played of The Last of Us Part II at the demo event a couple days ago, so I'm glad they're focusing entirely on that solo experience. A billion other games offer robust multiplayer alongside their single-player campaign, so I don't think the fact that one doesn't is a big deal. That's just me, though. I don't enjoy most online multiplayer, so I'm obviously biased toward this not affecting me personally.
So you along with others that share your thoughts offer nothing of value to this discussion

A better approach would be "hey I'm not really a fan of multiplayer/wasn't into factions in the original TLOU but understand gamers frustrations and anger in ND abandoning a mode that was seemingly played by 10s of thousands on a daily basis."

it boggles my mind that people continuously drive by post with "well I wasn't interested or a fan so good riddance" and neglect the sizeable community that DID love the original Factions multiplayer option

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just don't get it. What's up with the mixed messages?

Because they want a surprise announcement later. Or don't want to set expectations since they plan to release it separately, or something. As people were saying, I wouldn't be surprised if TLOU II launches its MP alongside a PS5 patch, just in time for the launch of that console.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Never played the MP aspect of The Last Of Us 1 so can't comment on its quality, seems good to have all the resources focused on the SP.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Somehow I feel like this game cost quite a bit more to develop than Spiderman..

I mean it's an ND game, cutting MP isn't gonna magically make the crunch go away.
ND are bigger, but not significantly so compared to Insomniac or Sony Santa Monica and all 3 games would have a monstrous budget most likely, especially when factoring in marketing size of them. Sony have showed 2 times (well 3 with HZD) they won't put microtransactions in their SP stuff. I'll be surprised if TLoU2 is different.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the day, Naughty Dog had something truly special and unique with Factions

I along with many others had a lot of anticipation for what they could have done with a next gen version - hell, I was honestly expecting more of the same with better balance + new gameplay elements from single player AND potentially a new mode, similar to a BR mode as this universe would have suited it well

Turdburger

Oct 27, 2017
if you're Neil Druckmann and you can't post anything on twitter without hundreds of people harassing you about multiplayer...

are you pissed that people aren't focusing on the single player experience you just unveiled after years of hard work, or are you surprised and excited that so many are passionate about the multiplayer mode?

Turdburger

Oct 27, 2017
Because they want a surprise announcement later. Or don't want to set expectations since they plan to release it separately, or something. As people were saying, I wouldn't be surprised if TLOU II launches its MP alongside a PS5 patch, just in time for the launch of that console.

if they were going to do a surprise announcement later then why would they explicitly say the game doesn't have multiplayer?

that's a lot of negative reaction in the present for not much gain from said future surprise announcement