• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people trashing a MP mode they've never even played before Just because it wasn't the most popular MP game or you don't care much about MP doesn't mean it wasn't lit:

Entire channel dedicated to savagery:

Except it wasn't shoehorned into the last game at all

yep - what is with all these stupid comments? ND especially has always tried to do well and do a lot when it comes to MP. Sometimes they have over done it, but the effort has always been there.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
This proves to me SP only gamers are in fact the worst...
tenor.gif

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between commenting on something you partake in and something you don't. For instance if a game is cancelled that I never intended on playing and I popped in the thread to say "meh no value lost I never cared about it" that's worthless to the discussion.

1) People do that all the time.

2) what is the discussion here? The game has no MP. Some people are (understandably) upset by that. Should this thread be only limited to them? What value is there is a "this sucks I liked the MP" post that isn't present in a "not a big deal for me I never liked the first games MP" post?

this thread is essentially turned into a back and forth of people being upset with each other for not liking the same things.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're just proving my point. You never see this kind of elitism and snobbery from MP centric gamers in SP threads. You never see people say "We need multiplayer this game sucks without it!". Yet MP oriented gamers are the majority and all the biggest games in the industry are MP ones. Why the negativity? You're literally proud of hating what people enjoy.

Shit is actually disgusting.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems to me that if they were not planning to have Factions in the sequel, it was a bad idea to have it in the first game to begin with. People can't miss what they never had, now they're stuck with this backlash that they can't shake off.
Not surprised a cunty take like this is coming from a poster with an anime avy

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Oh noooo, a mode I never played or cared about is missing for a bigger, better single player experience that I do care about...aaaand nothing of value was actually lost! So cool. Good on Naughty Dog.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
They didn't say that was the reasoning.
No, but it's clear they just didn't feel the need to for one reason or another.

did you not play the first game...shoehorn ? foh

Except it wasn't shoehorned into the last game at all
I never said it was shoe horned in the first game, but this isn't the first game and not every game needs multiplayer just to tick a box.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
1) People do that all the time.

2) what is the discussion here? The game has no MP. Some people are (understandably) upset by that. Should this thread be only limited to them? What value is there is a "this sucks I liked the MP" post that isn't present in a "not a big deal for me I never liked the first games MP" post?

this thread is essentially turned into a back and forth of people being upset with each other for not liking the same things.

I don't give a shit if you like the MP or not, but popping into comment on something you don't partake in or care about is worthless. You can boil down any discussion around negative announcements as worthless. It's shit posting.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Glad to hear they're not wasting resources on multiplayer. Probably played 15 minutes of multiplayer in the first one before calling it quits.
Very similar. I mean what I played seemed great but I'm not a big multiplayer fan. Sucks for those wanting it and it's still a little disappointing to hear it won't have it. But the reason for TLOU is it's a fantastic narrative and gameplay experience as a single player game first and foremost.

Strider

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wow that's a major disappointment :(

TLOU mp was really fun. I know the game is going to be massively successful regardless (both sales and critically) but I don't see myself buying it anymore...

Redria

Oct 28, 2017
Bit of a shame, I played the first games multiplayer an absolute ton, one of the more unique multiplayer shooters out there which was unfortunately let down a bit by guns you had to pay for or use sub optimal premade loadouts to use. Still had a fantastic time with it though.

I am slightly hoping they will release a standalone multiplayer version but I don't think there's a chance of that happening.

MILKGOLOLBAD

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 5, 2019
Due to this news I might literally not buy one of my most anticipated games of the decade at launch. Why the hell did they talk about having MP at all then? Mystery.

AJ_Cyberpunk

Apr 15, 2019
Do you think there will be backlash that they didn't communicate this clearly before pre-orders went live? I pre-orderd collectors and of course still would have 100% even i knew no multiplayer but i think it feels like they kept it hush hush for long as they could.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
..... fucking lame. Still crazy excited and super hyped to play but...

Lame. Factions is hands down my favorite multiplayer. I didn't imagine i'd have a negative response to anything about this game but ... here we are.

darkraider7

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
As someone who was looking forward to the mutiplayer almost as much as the campaign this is a HUGE dissapointment :'(

Tamati Hemi

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
New Zealand
Absolutely gutted in this decision. TLOU had in my opinion one of the best multiplayer in a game last gen and for people saying it was just shoe horned in clearly did not play it if that is your conclusion. It won't stop me from getting the game but my hype has been severely deflated.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
I can't wait for all those extra resources to be poured into making this even more bloated than UC4 already was.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
That really sucks. This game is begging for a Ellie/Joel co-op mode

Maybe if fans bitch enough we'll get it. Naughty Dog has added post-launch multiplayer before.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im still expecting a multiplayer stand alone to come out with the gameplay of tlou still

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I don't give a shit if you like the MP or not, but popping into comment on something you don't partake in or care about is worthless. You can boil down any discussion around negative announcements as worthless. It's shit posting.

There's a bunch of people saying that this is a net positive because more resources can be put towards the single player.

I have no idea how to make a game, but I did not think having an MP took away from TLoU singleplayer at all. Even the DLC was good for both the single player and MP. So to me it's a weird thing to say if you're someone who doesn't care about MP. Especially since the interview with the co-writer said their MP team is working on something. Makes all the "more resources for SP" look even sillier.

May 22, 2018
That's too bad. I enjoyed Factions quite a bit, especially when I didn't expect to like it at all. That being said, I'm fine with this. TLOU series has always been a SP game first in my eyes, and I've got a ton of other MP games to play.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Wait til you find out a multiplayer mode exists but won't be available until after launch.

This is terrible PR though. If Naughty Dog was smart they'd include a bare bones version of it at launch.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
I have no idea how to make a game, but I did not think having an MP took away from TLoU singleplayer at all. Even the DLC was good for both the single player and MP. So to me it's a weird thing to say, especially if you're someone who doesn't care about MP. Especially since the interview with the co-writer said their MP team is working on something. Makes all the "more resources for SP" look even sillier.

It's simple, single player got bigger than multiplayer to the point they have to focus on only SP, remember? Two Discs.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
There's a bunch of people saying that this is a net positive because more resources can be put towards the single player.

I have no idea how to make a game, but I did not think having an MP took away from TLoU singleplayer at all. Even the DLC was good for both the single player and MP. So to me it's a weird thing to say, especially if you're someone who doesn't care about MP. Especially since the interview with the co-writer said their MP team is working on something. Makes all the "more resources for SP" look even sillier.

I personally think that's PR spin. ND has a full team specifically for MP that I can't see contributing to the SP, hell they were still hiring for that team even recently. That being said if people come in and say "well that's good they can use that time to beef up the SP", while I don't see that as true, that's at least coming from a good space. Coming in to say "well I don't care because I never played this anyways" is useless. Again it's as if there was a game delayed or cancelled that you literally neve rplayed or had interest in just to post "well I never was interested anyway". pure shit posting.