• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Bit disappointing to hear given that I loved the first game's multiplayer, but if it was either that or a more substantial and feature-complete campaign I would choose that instead.

Sony's multiplayer offerings are sadly becoming a bit muted nowadays, and Naughty Dog's games were some of the biggest hits. Hopefully Guerilla picks up the slack with their next game.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Oh dear. Now I'll complete the game in a week and won't fire it up ever again unlike TLOU which I played for years.

Last edited:

Turdburger

Oct 27, 2017
i actually don't know if I'll buy this at launch now. the MP mode in the first game was so unique and different from anything else, and I was greatly looking forward to it

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stop using millions of people when there wasn't millions of people playing. Even COD and D2 get at most 500k on normal months.
Millions played over the lifespan of the game, not sure why you're getting triggered by that.

I never said it was "concurrent" but it was definitely a healthy multiplayer community

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
WHAT? TLOU's MP was incredible, along with Uncharted 2/3/4s.

I'm still buying the game but I'm not going to lie that's a huge blow to me, Factions was such a unique spin on a Gears style formula.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was a bit disappointing given how enjoyable the mp was, though it wasn't without its issues as early choices in the meta element of Factions could screw over your entire progression. Naughty Dog MTX handling also hasn't been the greatest either, though I wasn't around for much of that.

Maybe it's something that can be added later. There's bound to be more content made for this game, so why not a mp mode.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
It was one of the most played MP games on ps3/ps4. I think you're the crazy one. It doesn't have COd numbers obviously but it has tens of thousands of concurrent players, which isn't anything to laugh at, not to mention being very unique.

Ah so youre one of those people who has nothing of substance to say, so you spout BS in an attempt to hopefully be heard. Got it. Mission accomplished, you were acknowledged.

I thought Factions overachieved for what it was, I just never felt like it was a anything other than a C+ multiplayer experience. Don't get me wrong, there is a place for that, but it still felt obligatory in a way. I'd much rather have a longer SP experience

Doomedfool

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's unfortunate for the people that wanted it, but I might actually be able to get all the trophies in the sequel, since multi-player is not for me anyway.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Factions overachieved for what it was, I just never felt like it was a anything other than a C+ multiplayer experience. Don't get me wrong, there is a place for that, but it still felt obligatory in a way. I'd much rather have a longer SP experience
Imagine saying this the first time instead of fishing for attention and internet cool points. I didnt know C+ was bad either, but okay.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Esepcially the bold, when all is said and done including outside parties I don't think TLOU2 will hit 1000 people working on it.

RDR2 had over 3000 people working on it, an 8 year dev cycle with terrible crunch, and massive budget bigger then any ND game

Don't think that 3,000 number is accurate (it was considerably less than that when I left, which was shortly before launch), but still vastly more people than ND.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'm sorry to the people that liked it, but it's no skin off my ass. I'm in for the single player as the majority of the people are. If mp needs to get sacrificed to make the sp the best it can be, so be it

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
Ow :'(
The multiplayer from the first one was damn good, that's a shame. But well, if the single player is as good as it looks, I can accept it anyway :D

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017

The only thing lacking in TLOU1s multiplayer was customization and a better progression system. If anything I think their MP games are highly underrated.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Uncharted 4 was their biggest game prior to this and was in development hell yet they managed to launch that game Day 1 with a full fledged multiplayer component
There's a clear step up in ambition here. You can see that there is more painstaking detail in basically everything; this stuff takes a very long time to get right.

Don't think that 3,000 number is accurate (it was considerably less than that when I left, which was shortly before launch), but still vastly more people than ND.

Going by the Rockstar thank you letter which has over 3000 people:

Red Dead Redemption 2 & Red Dead Online Credits - Rockstar Games

Red Dead Redemption 2 and Red Dead Online are the result of the combined efforts of our global team over many years. From their launch in 2018, all the way through to present day, we want to thank everyone who has contributed to these games.

AJ_Cyberpunk

Apr 15, 2019
Shame they didn't even decide to focus on a multiplayer mode once the game goes gold. I would have been happy to wait. By the time i platinum the game knowing the multiplayer was dropping at a later date would be cool.

Also slightly think this should have been communicated before pre-orders dropped.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I mean I'm sorry to the people that liked it, but it's no skin off my ass. I'm in for the single player as the majority of the people are. If mp needs to get sacrificed to make the sp the best it can be, so be it

Again I hate comments like this. If you weren't a fan of a game that was cancelled would you go into that thread and be like "well I know people liked it, but it's no skin off my ass". Worthless input. If you didn't like the MP in the first game then this news is virtually meaningless to you, no reason to comment.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
it wasn't bad, it just didn't stack up to the wide world of multiplayer games.

I can understand playing it if you have no other options

But I did have options - Gears and other games. Though gears was good as FUCK, LOU was super tactical. In fact, the other real tactical MP game on PS3 (except for killzone, but it wasnt my shit), and for a while on PS4 the same.

Sep 25, 2018
image0.png

image0.png

Much more at the link:
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-last-of-us-part-2-no-multiplayer-mode-faction

EDIT: Confirmed by Druckmann himself in a preview/interview piece with The Telegraph

image0.jpg

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/...t-2-exclusive-interview-neil-druckmann-ellie/

I will grab when it drop to $20 to $30. no sense to pay 60 now unless I want to play it early with everyone but I do not care for that. A game with multiplayer always bring me back once I beat the story. I'm not like others I.cant replay a game after I beat it, when I was young I could.

its same that happen with astral chain I beat it and end game content and haven't played it since because no multiplayer. I right now have more hours in daemon machina then astral chain which took me 30 hours to fully beat everything because daemon machina have multiplayer and they announced more multiplayer stuff today so it seems I will come back after I beat dragon quest

now if Sony was like Nintendo I would get it day 1, but astral chain first party there wont be sales for a while

but yeah i wish all single player games with no multiplayer started at $30 they should never be 60 unless the game over 50 hours

im guessing last of us will be 20 to 30 hours most and 15 to 20 hours lowest ......😞

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
But I did have options - Gears and other games. Though gears was good as FUCK, LOU was super tactical. In fact, the other real tactical MP game on PS3 (except for killzone, but it wasnt my shit), and for a while on PS4 the same.

It may be a console vs PC game too. A lot of console MP games that blew up because they were attached to a popular title (Gears and Killzone like you mentioned, but stuff like Mass Effect and Resistance. Whereas PC multiplayer games in general just had a lot more options

Oct 30, 2017
What in the hell is a C+ multiplayer experience? Are you just making up bullshit now?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
If they can, I hope they can leverage everything they've done and come out with MP down the road with cross play between PS4 and PS5, maybe 6-8 months after release? I regret not playing a ton of the MP on PS4, but it really is fantastic. I think it would do well in this new battle royale centric world

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It may be a console vs PC game too. A lot of console MP games that blew up because they were attached to a popular title (Gears and Killzone like you mentioned, but stuff like Mass Effect and Resistance. Whereas PC multiplayer games in general just had a lot more options

I mean it's also the fact that to this day there is no other MP game like TLOU.

There are other slower tactical shooters but none that do what TLOU MP did.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
How many people actually played TLOU's multiplayer? Serious question, it seems like modes like that require some kind of social component and most people interested in that kind of gameplay would, I assume, rather play games actually known/meant for it.
I started playing the multi-player on the remastered version last night due the first time in years cause I was so excited that more players would show up since it's one of the ps plus games. Love it since I never play destiny or cod.

Bummed it's not coming out but it might be added later. I bet with the remastered version in so many people's hands they'll look at the numbers of players in MP and adjust if they need to.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
I mean, sure. And I realize mine is sort of a egotistical stance, but I never found the first game's multiplayer all that interesting (thus it made for a frustrating Platinum to get). And since time and resources are limited, I'd really rather they pour their hearts into the campaign.
Didn't stop them on the first game... and yes, your stance is a bit egocentric