• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
So I went and looked back at the Era thread on the topic of Epic Game Store lifting Steam data through the Steam folder and not through the API and, yep, as I guessed it was OP'ed as a look at the data scraping: https://www.resetera.com/threads/de...ry-up2-valve-responds-see-threadmarks.105385/

Nowhere is there mention of Chinese government influence in the OP and it was indeed only coming from the end part of the Reddit thread as if a throw in conspiracy was casual banter. The main argument was and has always been Epic scraping Steam data illegitimately which Epic even confessed was the case and they had to implement the Steam API. So this article is not actually that great, because it is muddling in the core issue being Epic conducting scraping of data that they should not have been doing due to a legal, Steam-supported API.

In other words, this US Gamer article is poop. It is skewing on a very minor part of the overall issue, which is definitely worth a discussion because xenophobia is very easy to blend into any argument these days without actually realising you are partaking in it but this just confuddles the main argument.

Hand-waving of legitimate arguments against Epic's conduct so far should not be allowed and is just stifling proper discussion on the topic. You saying that those who are "more vocal" are just haters and need to lay off Epic is simply ignoring legitimate arguments against which for the most part are actually quite sound and entirely supportive of most of what Epic is doing. The majority in Era threads even encourage Epic to be a part of the PC platform, simply the exclusivity bandwagon is not needed and just fracturing a market in which Epic previously stated they hated such monopolies.
Ok I'm not crazy, those threads got pretty big so I didn't read a lot of post.....but people here are acting like this was a big deal(on our site).

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It's not a new thing. Everything from China is "spyware". Just look at any Huawei-related post on etc-side. The Jingoism is strong.

Off topic:

This is such sweeping nonsense. Huawei has a known history with espionage on the back of their tech at the behest of their largest benefactor, the Chinese government. Conflating criticism of a tech company and a authoritarian government with Chinese citizens is a great way to muddy the water to shut down talking about real data security concerns. It's the same tactics that is used to fight criticisms against the Israeli government in certain political circles.

Also I don't know what "jingoism" has to do with any of that.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
the article has screen caps of two people on twitter saying the epic games store is giving information to the chinese government

wow what a wide spread issue

definitely not conflating other issues people have with their privacy and the client into this one and misrepresenting all of them

Oggmeiler

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Good to see someone finally calling this stuff out.

You can say the Epic store sucks, fine, whatever.

You can say the Chinese government sucks, sure why not, it kinda does.

But you can't say Epic's involvement in Tencent makes them a willing or unwilling puppet of the Chinese government. There is simply no evidence. And people falling back to this baseless argument is nothing more than racism.

Putting millions of innocent people in borderline concentrations camps makes them kinda sucky? Disgusting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinjiang_re-education_camps

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
the article has screen caps of two people on twitter saying the epic games store is giving information to the chinese government

wow what a wide spread issue

definitely not conflating other issues people have with their privacy and the client into this one and misrepresenting all of them
This is something I despise about modern media, two dickheads on Twitter equals MAJOR OUTRAGE. It's poisoning the discourse on just about everything; like, who the fuck cares what some guy on Twitter said?

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Vilifying media outlet.
Disappointing article, but totally expected from media given their history regarding Epic Store. It's especially bad and apparent in Gamer Network owned websites.
Era has a pretty huge hard on for Steam/Gabe so it was to be expected.
It also comes from "no Steam no buy" mentality which means every competitor has to be attacked.
Sure, let's ignore all the valid reasons people like Steam/dislike Epic have mentioned countless times and pretend everyone who dislikes Epic is a Steam fanboy.
This should be mandatory reading before posting in an Epic Store related thread tbh:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18YudW7kBCBTSr3kJp_4EEiEmT5I7c2B5/view
Maybe even this:
https://twitter.com/RobotBrush/status/1112204567394086913
Not to mention that Epic Store is (or was, Idk if it's changed) a spyware, it just isn't a spyware for the Chinese government.
The PC community's reaction to the the Epic Store has been completely embarrassing.
You know who are embarassing? People outside PC community who know literally nothing about the situation regarding Epic & Steam and lecture PC community on what's good for them. Why? Because they've heard that Steam is bAd and eViL.

Last edited:

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Era has a pretty huge hard on for Steam/Gabe so it was to be expected.

Cut the bullshit. Valve may be one of the most bashed on companies on the internet nowadays due to customer service, handling of the paid mods fiasco, handling of their key franchises like Half-Life and Team Fortress, the general toxicity and lack of moderation on many sections of their community sections...etc I could go on and on.

The pre-2011 era of "Valve can do no wrong!" attitude, stupid Valve worship and fanboyism is long gone in many communities and yes including ERA so I don't know why it keeps getting peddled. People gravitate towards Steam simply because of the value of service Valve provides compared to the competition. And, yes, Valve does show willingness to listen to feedback to improve the user experience or backtrack on bad ideas called out by the community.

Heck, I don't even like Valve as a game developer anymore yet still can see the value they provide to the PC market.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
The PC community's reaction to the the Epic Store has been completely embarrassing.

No, it was not. Not all people of PC community are conspiracy theorists or generalize as you shamefully do with your post.
Consumers have legit concerns about EGS and how they are operating yet there is not one single article on USGamer about it. What we have here is a News Editor picking up some idiotic posts on Reddit to build his case.
Compare this piece of news with J.Schreier's article about Bioware and you will understand how vast is the gap between good journalism and hot take articles.

Edit: Now that i am thinking the USG piece could be something that people like Yong Yea would have easily write, parroting bad posts and trying to make a case around those.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
The non-PC community's reaction to the Epic Store has been completely embarrassing.

So embarrassing that it is offputting to me that I can't play games on my preferred OS anymore. Like who am I to think that publishers making deals for exclusivity that locks me out of their products just 'cause is annoying for me. How entitled of me to say I won't support those publishers in the future.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Most embarrassing "argument" against egs, anyone who cites Chinese spying only hurts their cause as it makes them sound like an idiot conspiracy theorist

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure the fuck Epic tactic is working?
I think to some extent it is working. I mean I don't have to go out of my way to not support the EGS because Tim Sweeney already said in an interview that he doesn't want me and people like me (read, Linux users) as customers.
But at the same time I think they make enough money with the store and see enough usage to keep doing it.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
There is legitimate criticism to be had of the PRC government, and government contractors (as Tencent has been from time-to-time; much like Google has taken US military contracts).

However, there is a bright line between such criticism and conspiracy, or even out-and-out Sinophobia. Even here on Era, I have on multiple occasions seen posts that cross that line.

Given the general nature of this site and its membership, I'd like to believe that most of those guilty of such posts are genuinely well-intentioned and impassioned about the political angle, and do not realize they have crossed the line into attacking or targeting a whole group of people. Thus, I would urge anyone who engages in such discussions to take a step back and look your words over before you hit post, for any meaning you may have not intended, but is nevertheless by the language you've used made there. ResetEra is for everyone, and we can have civil and critical discussions without crossing the line into stereotyping a whole group of fellow members, and making them feel unwelcome and uncomfortable.

Thanks.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It has been, and there's aspects of it that mirror right wing sentiments in our current political situation. Claiming that the media is paid off and burying stories just because they're publishing editorials and takes that you don't agree with is eerily close to "Fake News". Just as you may use random Steam feature X, some people may not use it at all so its absence in EGS at this time doesn't bother them, and they view it as just another icon to click on the desktop.

You know who are embarassing? People outside PC community who know literally nothing about the situation regarding Epic & Steam and lecture PC community on what's good for them. Why? Because they've heard that Steam is bAd and eViL.

You know who are embarrassing? Certain PC gamers trying to dismiss others as "outside the PC community" because they have a different opinion. I've been playing PC games for over twenty years, I use Steam, Origin, uPlay, Battle.net, GOG, and now EGS and I don't care where the games are. I understand that things like Big Picture, Controller API, regional pricing, and platform availability are factors to others, but they're not to me. My opinion is no less valid than yours or anyone else's. Similarly, I don't mind "console gamers" or less experienced PC gamers commenting on the situation either. At the end of the day, it's a hobby that we're arguing about on a message board.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Hostility towards staff and misrepresenting official communications; consistent history of trolling and inflammatory statements.
Official Staff Communication
Let us have a civil and sane discussion in this thread please. For the record:
  1. Until there is direct and credible evidence that the Chinese government is influencing Epic policy, this kind of speculation will be moderated as a conspiracy theory.
  2. It remains fair game to scrutinize EGS' monitoring of Steam files.
  3. Do not hurl hyperbolical or inflammatory accusations at other members. If you see a real problem, use the report feature.

LOL, funny. This thread should of been closed 2 pages in, not only because this "article" is awful, but with the amount of bad faith arguing thats been going on, and equating criticism of the Chinese government and it's corporation to xenophobia. But let's keep it open to catch some "conspiracy theory" bans, of all things. Pathetic.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. There are legitimate complaints to be made about EGS, but they're very rarely or only briefly made because they're not as scandalous as some of the weird conspiracy theories people have convinced themselves of
The conspiracy stuff is dumb as shit but don't try and pretend that has been the center of the conversation.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yet people in this very topic accuse everyone who has problems with the EGS of being racist.

There's a disconnect between people who don't mind the EGS (or actively support it) and people who have problems with it and it gets tiring for me to have to defend my problem with Epic and its store in every single thread about it and probably also for people who have not problem with the EGS that this derails every thread.

I remember him crying foul after Valve set all profiles to private and public profiles were an opt-in because of the implementation of GDPR because that would derive him of his livelihood. At a point in time when he was already employed by Epic (but under NDA).

That's the problem with trying to discuss this subject on this board in general.

People that don't even game on PC or have experience using Steam in the past 5 years suddenly have something to say about how Valve "has a monopoly" or "needs some competition", and anybody that thinks otherwise is just a whiny Steam fanboy, hand waving it as "launcherwarz" because as long as a game is playable without having to buy a new game system, then it must be okay. That media personalities and outlets are guilty of doing the same thing only exacerbates the issue.

Legitimate concerns with pricing, domestically via the absence of third party presence, and regional pricing via currency exchange rates and Epic passing on the cost of certain payment methods onto the consumer, get downplayed in the name of having another Steam competitor. Legitimate issues with the lack of features from Epic, particularly when those moneyhats could have been used to implement even standard features by now, get glossed over.

And now, very legitimate concerns about Epic spying on your Steam files, something Sweeney himself admitted their launcher was doing, are getting downplayed by xenophobia accusations because yet another media outlet chose to misrepresent an issue due to some fringe part of the gaming community on reddit and other sites.

Dismissing these issues has been one large exercise in bad faith arguments by people on one side of the issue, and considering none of it has been actioned as such, I'm inclined to believe the staff post in literally every Epic thread (you know, the one that says don't enter a thread to argue in bad faith, among other things) doesn't apply to people on one side of this, or potentially at all.

It's not worth your time to continuously defend an otherwise reasonable stance against Epic's practices. The gaming majority in media and in general, many of which game only on consoles anyway, have made up their minds on Epic already. The discussion is basically over because nobody is listening anymore, Epic will continue to do what they do because there aren't enough people or journalists pushing back, and gaming on PC will be worse for it as a result.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The conspiracy stuff is dumb as shit but don't try and pretend that has been the center of the conversation.

This is the new narrative that is being pushed. "The only criticism is motivated on racism".

Yeah, it's better when a community say nothing and just eat whatever crap they're being thrown. Online paywall ? Please more of it. Raising the prices ? It's just a cup of coffee each month. Closing servers ? They're not a charity. I'm glad that for once, some people just don't shut up and actually express disapproval toward multi billions dollars companies.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Atleast on Era, never read any opinion post about Epic being "spyware for the chinese government". People saying stuff like that need to show recepts ffs.

What is pretty much confirmed is that Epic spy your Steam stuff, probably for themselves.

Usgamer atempt to make Epic Store a victim using racism and xenophobia is really sad and the bias is blatant.

Ofc some people on the internet would say something linking Epic spyware stuff with chinese government, but now the narrative is that most people criticizing Epic did that and this is the motive people are angry.

Like, yeah...

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
There were so few people saying that, that it makes me think this is more of a tactic to group everyone calling it spyware into a racist group in order to make it easier to dismiss the legit complains.

xs2kys

Oct 29, 2017
i dont give a shit about any of this but the fact that tencent hasnt changed their name to trecent blows my mind

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
It has been, and there's aspects of it that mirror right wing sentiments in our current political situation. Claiming that the media is paid off and burying stories just because they're publishing editorials and takes that you don't agree with is eerily close to "Fake News". Just as you may use random Steam feature X, some people may not use it at all so its absence in EGS at this time doesn't bother them, and they view it as just another icon to click on the desktop.

You know who are embarrassing? Certain PC gamers trying to dismiss others as "outside the PC community" because they have a different opinion. I've been playing PC games for over twenty years, I use Steam, Origin, uPlay, Battle.net, GOG, and now EGS and I don't care where the games are. I understand that things like Big Picture, Controller API, regional pricing, and platform availability are factors to others, but they're not to me. My opinion is no less valid than yours or anyone else's. Similarly, I don't mind "console gamers" or less experienced PC gamers commenting on the situation either. At the end of the day, it's a hobby that we're arguing about on a message board.
I can only speak for myself but people like you are no problem. You aknowledge that some people have legitimate problems with the EGS (platform availability and data security concerns for me) and use actual arguments why you have no problem using the EGS. That's fair and square and I'm in no position to say you are not allowed to that or whatever BS.
Regarding those "fake news" outcries the problem lies probably with some really badly informed and researched articles (one article said Metro: Exodus was $10 cheaper for everyone, which is wrong, but when pointed out that correction was just framed as coming from alt-right incels). It is annoying when journalists can't be bothered to do basic fact-checks.
And to be clear, I don't believe PCGamer or whatever are paid to post articles that glorify the EGS, I just wish they were more open to the problems people have with the store instead of opting to just belittle everyone that has these problems.

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can only speak for myself but people like you are no problem. You aknowledge that some people have legitimate problems with the EGS (platform availability and data security concerns for me) and use actualy arguments why you have no problem using the EGS.
Regarding those "fake news" outcries the problem lies probably with some really badly informed and researched articles (one article said Metro: Exodus was $10 cheaper for everyone, which is wrong, but when pointed out that correction was just framed as coming from alt-right incels). It is annoying when journalists can't be bothered to do basic fact-checks.
And to be clear, I don't believe PCGamer or whatever are paid to post articles that glorify the EGS, I just wish they were more open to the problems people have with the store instead of opting to just belittle everyone that has these problems.

To be honest, I feel like that Metro Exodus article situation is more a case of "inexperienced or not very good games journalist" than a case of trying to intentionally mislead or anger people. Many people based in the US don't think twice about pricing/availability for countries outside the US, and it can be difficult to break that perspective. A journalist (and more importantly their editor) should be aware of that, however.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
Lol I cannot believe people are falling for the "distrust of a billion dollar corporation is actually racism"

If this was in the US, y'all would laugh it off as the worst kind of GOP nonsense. People are skeptical of all the main corporate actors involved for very good reasons. This milquetoast pro-corporate lib shit is gonna get us killed I swear lol

Good to see the mods on top of it as usual though, literally banning a guy for saying a Chinese company may not have the best intentions. And that their relationship with the government might be why. What if he had said it about Google?! He'd be right then too, but wouldn't have been banned!

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
To be honest, I feel like that Metro Exodus article situation is more a case of "inexperienced or not very good games journalist" than a case of trying to intentionally mislead or anger people. Many people based in the US don't think twice about pricing/availability for countries outside the US, and it can be difficult to break that perspective. A journalist (and more importantly their editor) should be aware of that, however.
And that is the problem. Instead of just doing an update to the article (no problem at all) anyone pointing that error out was immediately an alt-right incel. The press release by Epic was garbage at that point (they actually said it was $10 for everyone) but it was easy to fact-check. Yeah it wasn't trying to mislead people but as a journalist and publication you should be professional enough to correct wrong information when it is pointed out to you.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
This is the new narrative that is being pushed. "The only criticism is motivated on racism".

Yeah, it's better when a community say nothing and just eat whatever crap they're being thrown. Online paywall ? Please more of it. Raising the prices ? It's just a cup of coffee each month. Closing servers ? They're not a charity. I'm glad that for once, some people just don't shut up and actually express disapproval toward multi billions dollars companies.
Thissss, I love the artist. But fuck tell business side of these companies.
There is legitimate criticism to be had of the PRC government, and government contractors (as Tencent has been from time-to-time; much like Google has taken US military contracts).

However, there is a bright line between such criticism and conspiracy, or even out-and-out Sinophobia. Even here on Era, I have on multiple occasions seen posts that cross that line.

Given the general nature of this site and its membership, I'd like to believe that most of those guilty of such posts are genuinely well-intentioned and impassioned about the political angle, and do not realize they have crossed the line into attacking or targeting a whole group of people. Thus, I would urge anyone who engages in such discussions to take a step back and look your words over before you hit post, for any meaning you may have not intended, but is nevertheless by the language you've used made there. ResetEra is for everyone, and we can have civil and critical discussions without crossing the line into stereotyping a whole group of fellow members, and making them feel unwelcome and uncomfortable.

Thanks.
Didn't you say you were gonna quit the site because the mods let people be anti-Semitic.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017

The vast majority of complaints I've seen come from people who are concerned with the lacking feature set or tracking of EGS; any calls to "fake news" seem to be very much secondary. Congrats, you personally don't care about some features. Heck, I don't either. The only "counter argument" is always "Well *I* don't care about those things therefore other people can't and shouldn't". Stop being so self centered and realize it's not about you or any one person and what they deem to be "worthwhile", it's about the sum of the audience and the fact that EGS adds absolutely nothing positive and a whole lot of negatives.

What is it with people and aggressively trying to misrepresent very tangible, very obviously anti-consumer concerns?

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I agree. I just find it kinda frustrating to be accused of xenofobia when one of the biggest issues with EGS at the moment is that it's not avaiable in China and every exclusive deal is a middle finger to chinese players.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
That's the problem with trying to discuss this subject on this board in general.

People that don't even game on PC or have experience using Steam in the past 5 years suddenly have something to say about how Valve "has a monopoly" or "needs some competition", and anybody that thinks otherwise is just a whiny Steam fanboy, hand waving it as "launcherwarz" because as long as a game is playable without having to buy a new game system, then it must be okay. That media personalities and outlets are guilty of doing the same thing only exacerbates the issue.

Legitimate concerns with pricing, domestically via the absence of third party presence, and regional pricing via currency exchange rates and Epic passing on the cost of certain payment methods onto the consumer, get downplayed in the name of having another Steam competitor. Legitimate issues with the lack of features from Epic, particularly when those moneyhats could have been used to implement even standard features by now, get glossed over.

And now, very legitimate concerns about Epic spying on your Steam files, something Sweeney himself admitted their launcher was doing, are getting downplayed by xenophobia accusations because yet another media outlet chose to misrepresent an issue due to some fringe part of the gaming community on reddit and other sites.

Dismissing these issues has been one large exercise in bad faith arguments by people on one side of the issue, and considering none of it has been actioned as such, I'm inclined to believe the staff post in literally every Epic thread (you know, the one that says don't enter a thread to argue in bad faith, among other things) doesn't apply to people on one side of this, or potentially at all.

It's not worth your time to continuously defend an otherwise reasonable stance against Epic's practices. The gaming majority in media and in general, many of which game only on consoles anyway, have made up their minds on Epic already. The discussion is basically over because nobody is listening anymore, Epic will continue to do what they do because there aren't enough people or journalists pushing back, and gaming on PC will be worse for it as a result.
Yeah, this is mostly where I'm at.

The hate for competition in PC gaming is unreal.
Case in point.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't you say you were gonna quit the site because the mods let people be anti-Semitic.
I've had some productive conversations with Era admins on this topic via private channels (which is their preferred means for such discussions). I've also been thinking about writing up a whole thread this weekend to try and educate people on the difference between criticism of the Israeli government and anti-Semitism, which is a line I see crossed even more frequently here than Sinophobia.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I feel comfortable saying that the general discussion of the EGS has skewed way more to the extremely hyperbolic side of things. I'm not saying that *this* conspiracy is people's only complaint about it, but a lot of the complaints have truly been off the wall

I have complaints about the Epic store and how they've gone about launching it, but almost every PC announcement thread has been derailed by Epic fearmongering the last few months and it's tired

Status
Not open for further replies.