• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
It seems like there were some people who were like, actually undeniably racist about this. Like, that's what ive gathered. There isn't really any need to go all "not all X" on it.

Ten cent seems like an evil corp, for sure. Chinese government seems bad too.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
Wait, we have to be accepting of being spied on to be more acceptive of other cultures? Huh? Not to mention it's almost impossible to consume nothing from China, I would be willing to bet my entire life savings on the fact you have an electronic device in your house that had the majority of it manufactured in China. Not to mention if you've ever played games like LoL or used gaming services with Chinese stakes in them.

I've seen a tonne of (RIGHTFUL) criticism of the Chinese government but dislike and distrust of the Chinese government =/= xenophobia or racism against the Chinese people and saying otherwise is super disingenuous. Saying that, yes anti-Chinese sentiment and xenophobia is getting louder and larger which is fucking awful but acting like the majority of people talking about the Epic scraping debacle were subscribing to conspiracies or xenophobic rhetoric is disingenuous at best.

This article, in particular, comes as a massive red herring. Yes there were conspiracy theories, no the conspiracy theories weren't the point for the vast majority of people I saw talking about this, ESPECIALLY on ERA. Completely ignoring the Tencent stakes in Epic, there are legitimate privacy concerns with the Epic data scraping and the way they have handled their storefront and privacy policies that this article tries to handwave away as xenophobia which is terrible journalism, for shame USGamer.
I wrote something but I'm not 100% sure it wont go against the latest mod message so I'll just leave it out.

Regarding the scraping of data it's a bit funny how forgetfull people can be. Valve did (does?) it too - if I remember correctly they monitored what websites you visited. Not sure if they do it still but it wouldn't supprise me if they did.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Good to see someone finally calling this stuff out.

You can say the Epic store sucks, fine, whatever.

You can say the Chinese government sucks, sure why not, it kinda does.

But you can't say Epic's involvement in Tencent makes them a willing or unwilling puppet of the Chinese government. There is simply no evidence. And people falling back to this baseless argument is nothing more than racism.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I'm completely against the prejudice for anything Chinese owned. It's annoying whenever people try to blame everything on the Chinese with no evidence.

With that said, this is a typical article meant to dismiss criticism to the Epic store as racism and help sway public opinion. Embarrassing.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

You can say the Chinese government sucks, sure why not.

But you can't say Epic's involvement in Tencent makes them a willing or unwilling puppet of the Chinese government. There is simply no evidence. And people falling back to this baseless argument is nothing more than racism.

I agree with everything except the last part. Ffs criticism of the chinese governement isn't citicism of China or its people. People are just trying to throw a baseless racism accusation to dismiss any criticism.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
So I went and looked back at the Era thread on the topic of Epic Game Store lifting Steam data through the Steam folder and not through the API and, yep, as I guessed it was OP'ed as a look at the data scraping: https://www.resetera.com/threads/de...ry-up2-valve-responds-see-threadmarks.105385/

Nowhere is there mention of Chinese government influence in the OP and it was indeed only coming from the end part of the Reddit thread as if a throw in conspiracy was casual banter. The main argument was and has always been Epic scraping Steam data illegitimately which Epic even confessed was the case and they had to implement the Steam API. So this article is not actually that great, because it is muddling in the core issue being Epic conducting scraping of data that they should not have been doing due to a legal, Steam-supported API.

In other words, this US Gamer article is poop. It is skewing on a very minor part of the overall issue, which is definitely worth a discussion because xenophobia is very easy to blend into any argument these days without actually realising you are partaking in it but this just confuddles the main argument.

Hand-waving of legitimate arguments against Epic's conduct so far should not be allowed and is just stifling proper discussion on the topic. You saying that those who are "more vocal" are just haters and need to lay off Epic is simply ignoring legitimate arguments against which for the most part are actually quite sound and entirely supportive of most of what Epic is doing. The majority in Era threads even encourage Epic to be a part of the PC platform, simply the exclusivity bandwagon is not needed and just fracturing a market in which Epic previously stated they hated such monopolies.

I don't remember anyone making accusations that Epic was spying for the Chinese government.

But now of course people who I don't even remember seeing in the actual thread are pointing fingers like it was a thing on Era.

Can't say I'm surprised.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Any discussion on the EGS here is poisoned by baseless accusations and drive-by posts. Problem is that many publications are perfectly in line with this with badly researched articles that neglect to paint the whole picture or purposefully omit that there are legimitate problems with the EGS for people (e.g. an article saying the EGS offers better prices because of the better split, which is flat out wrong and can be easily proven)

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I don't remember anyone making accusations that Epic was spying for the Chinese government.

I do. It was a definite thing. Not a major thing, but it did come up.

There was also the thing where some peeps were saying Epic paid journalists to cape for them, which again, wasn't major, but was definitely something that popped through.

It's important to note that if you think the article is about you, that's going to color your response and make you super defensive. This article is more specifically focused on the people using the situation in an opportunistic manner. That is a very small amount of people.

Feb 26, 2018
Should I be offended every time someone says something bad about Russian government? Or you really believe that people criticizing Chinas government automatically hate citizens of China too?

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017

There was also the thing where some peeps were saying Epic paid journalists to cape for them, which again, wasn't major, but was definitely something that popped through.

It's important to note that if you think the article is about you, that's going to color your response and make you super defensive. This article is more specifically focused on the people using the situation in an opportunistic manner. That is a very small amount of people.
Yet people in this very topic accuse everyone who has problems with the EGS of being racist.

There's a disconnect between people who don't mind the EGS (or actively support it) and people who have problems with it and it gets tiring for me to have to defend my problem with Epic and its store in every single thread about it and probably also for people who have not problem with the EGS that this derails every thread.

Do you know the guy behind it is still taking a large amount of money from Patreon for SteamSpy data? While being fully employed by Epic? Not scummy at all.

I remember him crying foul after Valve set all profiles to private and public profiles were an opt-in because of the implementation of GDPR because that would derive him of his livelihood. At a point in time when he was already employed by Epic (but under NDA).

Code Artisan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Tim Sweeney is truly a good guy and would probably not take part in such thing but you would be very naive to think that RPC would not take the chance to spy on EGC users. Tencent holdings and all of its subsidiaries shall not be trusted.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It allows you to (opt-in) import your steam friends. nothing I've read anywhere suggests, that they collect anything more than that. yes, it should have been done through their API, no that doesn't make it spyware.
The problem is that no-one can say anything definitively either way.
We know for a fact that Epic was making copies of your local Steam data - even earlier than they said they were.

What we don't know is how that data was used. Almost immediately after this was found out, they shut down their Steam integration features and pushed out a new client update.
Maybe all they really did do was use it to add your Steam friends to EGS with your permission. Or maybe they were scraping all the details they could from it and were uploading that data to their servers.

Frankly I think the latter is more likely, since Steam have an official API that they could have used, but that wouldn't give them access to everything they wanted. My Steam profile is private, for example.
After all, they did not just make copies of your Steam data, they kept many copies of that data over the span of months, and encrypted that data. It's worth noting that this alone meets the definition of "spyware".

I have zero trust in anything that Tim Sweeney says, so I'm not going to take his word for it.
Do I think that the EGS Client is spyware for the Chinese government? Absolutely not. That's ridiculous.
I do think that there's a good chance they were using Steam data for more than just importing your friends list without your explicit permission to do so, however, and they need a new TOS before I'd consider installing the EGS Client on my PC again - even just to play free games.

As I've said many times in these topics, there's enough wrong with the EGS and Epic's business strategy that you don't need to be dishonest about it (I've seen a lot of people claim they don't support 2FA for example) or manufacture reasons to dislike them.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think people said Epic "paid" journalists directly. But there's indeed something worthy to be called out when you take a favorable stance toward a party in which you promoted their content.

Also, it's not about the article being about "who" but more like how in the end it serves a narrative that's already unfolding through shortcuts and reaching:
"Epic being a spyware is born from an anti-chinese sentiment". It's factually wrong. It's started from users finding that Epic launcher was doing weird stuff with some Steam file. And then, people being cautious that Epic might use or access data that they don't disclose (which might still be a GDPR breach). And then indeed some users making a link between Epic/Tencent and Chinese governement. But going as far as linking the latter with racism is another reach. It's not to say some users on Reddit or other bad place may not have done so. But to paint it as the root of all criticism is dumb and dangerous. But it's also pushing a narrative that criticism against Epic will be from now on based on racism.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Tencent does not have a majority stake in Epic. It's close - 48% or so - but it's not majority.

Majority stakeholder means that one company owns more stocks in another company than anyone else. Nearly 50% is the majority, because no one else can beat that, not even the owner of the company (Sweeney).

Do you remember when Ubisoft was going insane with loans to buy back their own stock to prevent ZeniMax from doing a take over? ZeniMax owned less than 30% if I recall right.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Majority stakeholder means that one company owns more stocks in another company than anyone else. Nearly 50% is the majority, because no one else can beat that, not even the owner of the company (Sweeney).

Do you remember when Ubisoft was going insane with loans to buy back their own stock to prevent ZeniMax from doing a take over? ZeniMax owned less than 30% if I recall right.
Nope. Majority stakeholder is over 50%:
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/majorityshareholder.asp
"A majority shareholder is a person or entity that owns and controls more than 50 percent of a company's outstanding shares."

https://definitions.uslegal.com/m/majority-shareholder/
"Only those persons who own more that 50 percent of a company's shares can be a majority shareholder."

Also, you got the second part mixed up. It was Vivendi who was going after Ubisoft, and the trouble was that under French law, no entity can hold more than 30%; if they hold more, they're obligated to launch a public takeover offer on the target. Vivendi got real close - like I want to say...mid-high 20s? but it was defused by selling their holdings to Tencent and others.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Normally I would say this is conspiratorial nonsense, but considering the shadiness of the likes of Huawei and how deeply they have penetrated the west, these days you just can't underestimate the chinese government and their influence.

I'd say with Huawei it is half shadiness from China and half from western countries, US and Canada in particular that accused the company multiple times without presenting evidences of what they've done, and literally bashing on the company probably because they are scared by how powerful they became.

Funny thing is US market accept other smaller chinese companies well known for their built-in backdoors (Coolpad for instance) because they are not as big which tells you how hyperbolic some of these accusations are.

They tried so hard to paint a bad image of the company to scare other countries on the adoption of their 5G network (which yes, we should all be concerned about it)

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't like that several western countries with the US at the front have started with racism against chinese. Yes, I've seen posts (not on era but on other forums/news sites of how bad the chinese people are.... It's everywhere, last weeks it's been about how Huawei spies on everyone. I'm from Sweden and I can say that I don't really care if the chinese would spy on me, I already know that US is spying on me and that scares me more because I consume american media and services, while I don't consume a single thing from China.

We should be more open to other cultures.

Pointing out the problems of Huawei and the Chinese government means people are narrow-minded? The US has its issues, but not sure why it's relevant here. The Chinese government is awful. That's why I criticize it, not because I'm racist.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Out of curiosity if epic were to be pawns of the Chinese government what value would they even get from mining it's users data? I don't see how knowing that xXGoku420Xx spends 40 hours a week playing fortnite is of any value. Time and money would be better spent making a shell company and buying users personals details from facebook and similar sites who already sell that stuff.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Isn't Epic Games not releasing titles in China more evidence that Tencent may have some kind of influence over them? Isn't Tencent like 'the' digital games platform in China? Pretty much the Steam of China? If EGS were to release there the would be competing with their own shareholders.

I'm pretty sure it's been stated 2 members of the Board of Directors on Epic are from Tencent so they aren't totally hands off they are a part of every major decision the company takes.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Epic Games not releasing titles in China more evidence that Tencent may have some kind of influence over them? Isn't Tencent like 'the' digital games platform in China? Pretty much the Steam of China? If EGS were to release there the would be competing with their own shareholders.

I'm pretty sure it's been stated 2 members of the Board of Directors on Epic are from Tencent so they aren't totally hands off they are a part of every major decision the company takes.
Epic Games Store not being availalble in China has more to do with EGS being a glorified modification of the Fortnite Launcher. Fortnite being a F2P game has some tougher regulation in China and they did not it launch it themselves there (and irc is published by Tencent in their own platform together with Pubg).

It also probably doesnt help that payment methods in the region are more expensive than they want to.

Edit: also the Steam of China is... Steam (though its actual situation right now is gray legal space, they are plannign to become "fully legal" this year, with Steam China launch). Tencent platform has tried to get exclusivity for some games but havent been that succesful outside of the F2P market.

Sloane Ranger

Oct 27, 2017
New Albany
"Only, that isn't true. In a recent post on the Facepunch forums"

Could be true - BUT - I would not base the "insight" on Facepunch and someone in their Forums.

Nov 22, 2017

When you own 48% of a company, it's hard not to have an influence.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shit, I read the first part of the thread title and thought, "wow, a journalist is finally gonna call Epic out", then read the rest and am disappointed. There's been countless thread's posted on Reddit claiming that somebody new has proven that EGS wasn't spyware and everybody just eats it up and spams "see, EGS is just another launcher. It's not a big deal."

They admitted they didn't use the API provided for them. They admitted they took too much data. And it looks even worse when you know the Steamspy dude's over there.

Out of curiosity if epic were to be pawns of the Chinese government what value would they even get from mining it's users data? I don't see how knowing that xXGoku420Xx spends 40 hours a week playing fortnite is of any value. Time and money would be better spent making a shell company and buying users personals details from facebook and similar sites who already sell that stuff.
It's expected that by using EGS, Tencent acquires data on how you use EGS. That's not a big deal. Tencent also owns a huge share of Reddit. The problem is if the competition is mining data from its competitor. EGS absolutely finds value in Steam user data. They proudly told us what percentage of EGS' users don't use Steam.

I genuinely don't know enough about China to understand why people are coming at this with the concern for the Chinese government though. I understand why people might be concerned about Epic mining its competitor's data. China knowing how much I play video games though? Why should I care?

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Nope. Majority stakeholder is over 50%:
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/majorityshareholder.asp
"A majority shareholder is a person or entity that owns and controls more than 50 percent of a company's outstanding shares."

https://definitions.uslegal.com/m/majority-shareholder/
"Only those persons who own more that 50 percent of a company's shares can be a majority shareholder."

Also, you got the second part mixed up. It was Vivendi who was going after Ubisoft, and the trouble was that under French law, no entity can holder more than 30%; if they hold more, they're obligated to launch a public takeover offer on the target. Vivendi got real close - like I want to say...mid-high 20s? but it was defused by selling their holdings to Tencent and others.

I stand corrected.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, people think siding Huawei means you are xenophobic? The fuck. They "private company" is an extension of the Chinese government. Having them be integrated into global 5g technology is an awful idea. That doesn't mean we hate the Chinese people. Shit,I hate the Israeli government and US government but I don't hate the people, just the regular misguided right wingers who are shit.

Tencent having so much money and bring able to move their weight in Western gaming market is equally a bad idea

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Thanks USGamer for gaslighting the issue by simply adressing the wildest theory of the bunch in order to ridicule the security concerns people have.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Did people forget Epic client was literally sending Epic files with data from your games played, friends, wishlist etc on Steam? And that Epic removed it right after it was discovered?

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I believe that there are people like me that do not like to have a program (EGS store in this case) spy on other programs files on their hard drive and might consider it a spyware action.

That is not hatred or racism against the chinese people although there might be some right wing idiots who will say what right wing idiots usually say. This is probably a very small number of people, the idiocy of them does not survive long on Era, yet this article tries to build it as a huge issue while, at the same time, pretends that there are not any legit consumer concerns about how EGS operates.

It also provides a great opening for Sweeney to play the victim and for few people here to take their pitchforks out.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's worth remembering that just because USGamer is criticising this aspect of the Epic discussion, doesn't mean they are dismissing the issue outright. You can laugh at the made up reasons people give as part of the EGS pile on without having to take sides and defend Epic outright.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

But now of course people who I don't even remember seeing in the actual thread are pointing fingers like it was a thing on Era.

Can't say I'm surprised.

It's crazy how many posters want to come on and talk about how "Era" got it wrong no matter what the situation. People want to give themselves an imaginary pat on the back as if they had all the answers all along

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Era has a pretty huge hard on for Steam/Gabe so it was to be expected.
It also comes from "no Steam no buy" mentality which means every competitor has to be attacked.
This shit is so tiring. Do you seriously believe that people choose Steam for no reason but only to worship Gaben? Not because the features it offers and the ease of purchase for a lot of people around the world?

8rctvDN.png

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that shit was really fucking embarrassing in our own resetera threads and provided nothing to the conversation.

But no, criticizing tencent and the Chinese government in and of itself isn't racist or xenophobic. That's some "If you criticize Israel you're antisemetic" talk.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Era has a pretty huge hard on for Steam/Gabe so it was to be expected.
If steam/valve was a really awful anticonsumer service than that wouldn't have ever been the case. People are a fan of steam for a reason. From a consumer standpoint it has never been bad but it's a dev thing more than anything

Mar 14, 2019
this is blown waaay out of proportion.
the user explicitly said hes not an expert, thats just what he found and it worries him. there was a statement from epic about all this, clarifying things and adressing the concerns and thats it.
Not a single word of text or subtext implies xenophobia, just a (rightfull) scepticism towards chinese government backed mega corporations.
holy jesus..

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
It's worth remembering that just because USGamer is criticising this aspect of the Epic discussion, doesn't mean they are dismissing the issue outright. You can laugh at the made up reasons people give as part of the EGS pile on without having to take sides and defend Epic outright.
This would be true, if they weren't silent about it it.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I want to see some receipts of this "racism" and "xenophobia" as well, can anybody show me where people have been racist or xenophobic towards Chinese people during these discussions about Epic?

I am not saying it hasn't happened, I just want to see some proof because whilst people might be suggesting the Chinese government are spying and Epic are sending them data (which is unfounded conspiracy theory at this point) that doesn't mean what they are saying is racist or xenophobic, that simply means they do not trust the Chinese government surely?

I would even go as far to say that criticising the Chinese government is taking a stand against racism and xenophobia considering the human rights violations that government commits.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018

You can say the Chinese government sucks, sure why not, it kinda does.

'kinda does' lol

Status
Not open for further replies.