• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
End of an Era. USGamer was always my first gaming news website to check. Great crew. Will definitely follow where they go next.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Oh damn. Sad about Kat. USGamer was like, the one games outlet I really respected. What does redundant mean? I'm not familiar with that term in a work industry sense.

Jeremy Parish will likely stay, right? It's like, his company, isn't it?

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I definitely made sure to click over there a few times a week... felt like one of the last small-scale sites. They gave it their all - some great content and work.

I've been involved in many media companies over the years - that have acquired or been gobbled up. It's a brutal business... good luck to all the staff!

As far as I understand it... he has no connection to the site when he left a few years ago. Retronauts is his baby... USGamer was a gig.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is awful. I hope everyone lands on their feet as they're a great bunch. Is the site just going to go away? Are they just going to syndicate Eurogamer content? Do we have any sense?

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
sorry but what exactly does it mean to be made redundant in a games media company? had never heard of that

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

Jeremy has been gone for year. He works for Limited Run now.
This is awful. I hope everyone lands on their feet as they're a great bunch. Is the site just going to go away? Are they just going to syndicate Eurogamer content? Do we have any sense?
The site is staying up.

Have to assume this is because their parent company which is known for events just got slammed by COVID?
No comment!

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the redundant aspect I'd assume whomever owns or is gonna buy them already has an editorial staff. So they might absorb some folks and other folks are out the door.

GhaleonQ

Jan 14, 2018
This is the one "typical" gaming site that I still read. I am sure this has little meaning to the brilliant staff transitioning out into another brutal environment, but they did something that mattered. I've rarely felt that since the 1-Up days.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to hear this. I'm sure everyone will find new positions as it's such a talented crew.

Gotta say that I never like the site redesign; I think you guys working there were done dirty on that front.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Any word on Jeff Green?
He wasn't employed there, just had a podcast hosted in collaboration with USGamer.
yeah what's up with Jeffrey Green...need to know the Path of the Black Dragon

Jeff is still a video game consultant, currently in a business with Ryan Scott and Robert Coffey.

The podcast was a collab between him and USGamer.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Best wishes everyone there! USGamer was one of hte last game sites i still checked in on.

i know it was just in collaboration, but i hope this doesn't kill off jeff green's podcast. ive listened to a ton of games podcast over the years, but Branching Narratives was legit one of the best. hope it can continue in some way.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sad news, loved their reviews. Hope everyone can get back on their feet as soon as possible.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Thanks for the reply, Mike. Firing the staff and keeping the site around as a cost-cutting measure, which is what I assume this is, feels completely scummy. Of course I have none of the BTS details, so I'll withhold full and final judgement for now.

Yeah, if they're keeping it up to just repost content from their sister sites, like Eurogamer and GamesIndustry, and eek out a bit more ad revenue then that would be scummy... but not as scummy as, say, replacing their entire staff with vastly underpaid freelancers. We'll see.

Possibility for 'Branching Narratives' to continue

Kat Bailey

Host - Axe of the Blood God
Verified
Jan 5, 2018
Best wishes everyone there! USGamer was one of hte last game sites i still checked in on.

i know it was just in collaboration, but i hope this doesn't kill off jeff green's podcast. ive listened to a ton of games podcast over the years, but Branching Narratives was legit one of the best. hope it can continue in some way.

I've talked to another site about picking up Branching Narratives for a second season. Will see how things go in the new year.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Really sucks, they were definitely part of my rotation, and they have a bit of a distinctive flavour.

Hope everyone lands on their feet :-(

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
USGamer always seemed like it was too good to be allowed to exist. Like the universe had missed it on a previous pass and for a brief moment in time we got something that we didn't deserve. Pour one out for the great people leaving there and all the great work they did.

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
Can Retronauts just become an official website and hire these folks on to create content?

That said, I felt USGamer was the last vestige for 1UP.com, which I so dearly loved back in the mid 00's. EGM/1UP.com had a huge impact on me growing up, so seeing USgamer go away hurts.

Such an absolute bummer -- USG was my go-to spot for gaming news outside of Restera.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
This absolutely isn't a qualitative statement about US Gamer as I rather liked the site but it always felt doomed from the start to me so it's impressive that it lasted as long as it did.

Hope everyone lands on their feet quickly as they're a great bunch.

KazeSim

Oct 25, 2017
I've talked to another site about picking up Branching Narratives for a second season. Will see how things go in the new year.
That would be excellent!
I'm happy to hear the Blood God lives as well! You and Nadia do an awesome show together. Coming from a fan of the Roleplayers' Realm days.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
This is terrible news. I hope Kat, Nadia and the team land swiftly on their feet. I will look forward to the continuation of Axe of the Blood God and anything else from them in the future. Good luck with everything guys!

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Capitalisms onslaught on accountability aka journalism continues unchecked.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Ooof, this hurts. Been a reader since the start.

What on earth is going on with GamerNetwork right now? Metabomb shuttered earlier this year, there was a number of cuts at RPS alongside the earlier USG cuts a couple months back. Are they or ReedPop (their parent company) just hemorrhaging money without events this year to keep everything afloat?

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Are they redundant because of Eurogamer?

Oh, I see ReedPOP acquired Gamer Network back in 2018. Oof, guess this was always going to happen (plus probably more). Best of luck to everyone affected.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Best of luck to all of them, loved the content of Japanese and retro games the site had built up back when Parish was EiC and started listening to AotBG this year.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
This is really sad. They had a warmth to their entire editorial voice that I really noticed and appreciated. Wish them all the best, clearly lots of talent there.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Well, this is poop. Good to know Mike already has a new gig, but I really enjoyed USGamer's articles and reviews.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciated that the staff was doing good work there, and it's sad to have less good games journalism. I hope that everyone can find another job, especially in this climate.

I do have to admit that I largely stopped visiting the site after Parish left and once it required me to disable my adblocker to view it. I get that this sort of behavior on my end directly contributes to these job cuts and feel conflicted about it, but ultimately with the amount of content out there, readers are likely to make that sort of decision... It's just a shame that the fallout is on the rest of the writing talent, who probably has no say in the matter.

I hope the RPG podcast switches to a patreon model or something. Ironically, despite not wanting intrusive browser ads, I have no problem directly supporting creators of good content in that manner.

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
Their output had genuine craft and care behind it, so it's definitely sad to see it all come to an end so abruptly.

Kat's RPG podcasts always seem to live on in some form, and long may it continue!