• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I honestly wish they'd just resolve the whole Lan Di thing in this game rather than hedge their bets for a fourth game, especially with all the fallout of the EGS decision.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So four more games coming? Good luck! Hopefully he doesn't resort to kickstarter again.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A reminder that Shenmue is the original FF7 mutlipart series that we'll all be dead before completing.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
We always knew it wasnt going to conclude the story, he said so from the start. That said , as much as I am looking forward to the game I fully expect this game to no sell enough to get any sequels and just leave us on a cliffhanger like 2 did.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are they seriously trying to pull off 5 games in the series like originally intended?

That seems like some wishful thinking there.

Oct 27, 2017
brave to assume he'll get more games after shenmue 3 to finish the story but good luck to him!

i actually do wish more series would attempt a Kiseki format of overarching plot and world spread out over a huge number of games, but it's definitely not practical or budget/sales friendly so i don't blame more developers for not trying it

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
but why

Does he really think Shenmue is going to become this massive series where dragging it out forever would be profitable?

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
We knew that this would not be the final chapter in the story, but I'm surprised it's not even half way. I assumed 60-70% of the story would be complete.

I don't really see Shenmue 4 happening based on the reception non Shenmue fans seem to be having(and this is from a 300$ Kickstarter backer), so I do hope the story is finished in a manga or something like in between 1 and 2.

The best case scenario I can see, is just similar Kickstarters for the next game, with only the most hardcore of fans subsidizing the project and low budget but decently fun and directed games.

I happen to like what I've seen of 3 so far, and it feels extremely true to the series' roots, for better or worse - but I recognize I'm in the minority.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the original idea like 12 parts saga?

16 chapters, originally. The first game is one chapter, I think 2 is three chapters.

I mean I'm all for him telling the story as he sees fit but assuming you'll get three or four more games in this series funded seems...optimistic.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
but why

Does he really think Shenmue is going to become this massive series where dragging it out forever would be profitable?
I think he saw all that money pouring in on kickstarter and figured the gravy boat could continue, so why end it with Shenmue 3. But I think this crowd funding was a one and done thing. People aren't going to fork out all this money again to continue the series. Well, maybe in another decade when nostalgia kicks in again.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
And people told me Shenmue 4 would be the last one -_-

Honestly, I'm happy to hear this. There's no guarantee we'll get more Shenmue but I'd rather Suzuki-san took his time developing the story when he can, rather than rushing to finish the series.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, this would be the third, and it's less that halfway. Another 4 would be more accurate
This is the third game (obviously), so closer to 4.5 more.
If three games are 40%, 4 additional games could be needed :p
Well damn.

I guess we might not see the series to it's end at this point. I thought he ment that this game will do about 40% of the story but if that isn't the case and all the issues the series is having right now (the EGS controversy, the amount of people complaining about parts of the game) affects the sales then it might never conclude.

I hope they are able to do it.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually kind of surprised that he isn't just wrapping the series up with 3, considering it is absolutely a miracle that he even gets to do that in 2019.

I'm sure he did have a massive 48 part series in his head back in 1996... but other series have folded on their original plans and quickly wrapped up in the face of production realities (ie Xenosaga)

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I assume that there will be some type of closure at the end of 3 that still sets up more games. This could end up like Yakuza if it's successful, but I don't think it will be.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
any other creator would use this one big opportunity to revive and continue this long dead series to fully wrap things up, but nope.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Lol his choice but I think it would have been a good idea to wrap things up. Gotta be realistic about these thingd

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory Commentary
oh cool, thanks delusional psychopath. because you're going to get infinite bites at this apple

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
To get an opportunity like this to make Shenmue III, 17 years after II, and not take that a huge chance to actually finish your ungoing story...it's beyond me.

There is no universe where, like, four more Shenmue games are going to get made.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I don't know why game developers do this. This whole "conceptualize an epic story saga of games with several installments" never works, ever. The idea of your games consistently making enough money and things elsewhere going well enough that you'll be able to make all those games is at best a naive fantasy. It didn't work with Xenosaga, and it didn't work with Shenmue. Suzuki is lucky that he's gotten another chance and he should have taken that chance to leave Shenmue finished to offer fans a sense of closure.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a tip: if you have to crowdfund any part of your game, don't plan on making direct sequels to it.

Yeah, I know that Shenmue was always planned to be 10+ games or whatever, but read the room.

The-Demon

Alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
any other creator would use this one big opportunity to revive and continue this long dead series to fully wrap things up, but nope.
probably because he can't wrap it up and doesnt want to box himself in a corner. I would rather have a great story dragged out over time than rushed.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
They have probably already funded Shenmue 4 with the epic money hat (if the rumors of it being a big amount are true). It will be Shenmue 5 that will struggle to get made I think. They can miss me with the next crowd funding attempt.