• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I can believe it.

Got a laptop that has SSD and in some cases downloads are instant while on my older laptop it would take 4 minutes or so.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Am I the only one who had full speed ps4 downloads (on a pro) via Ethernet? I portforwarded all my ports and I could get up to 700mbps download on it

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
Why wouldn't they be? It's a faster hard drive it's downloading to.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
This is great to hear considering I'm planning on downloading a bunch of the PS4 games I have in my library on the PS5.

Why wouldn't they be? It's a faster hard drive it's downloading to.
I'm fairly sure the HDD isn't the bottleneck on the PS4. Most people assumed it was the shitty CDN they were using, but I guess there could also be a CPU benefit of unpacking the game while it downloads.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Yep one of the most important improvements. It's seems to be so much faster, it's exciting.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah that was one of my biggest gripes with PS4. The download speeds

Nice to so it being much better

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 downloads were fast for me after 2015/6 or so, faster than my XB1 in fact. But good to hear.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Can confirm this. It maxes out my connection, was getting 45MB/s (350mb connection)

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of this includes writing to a slow-ass HDD on PS4, so it will obviously be faster overall on PS5.

The actual download speeds should theoretically be the same though.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
This is good to hear. I have a 500 Mbps connection and can hit that mark consistently on Steam downloads, yet PS4 (and Xbox One) never come close, even over ethernet.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Ain't saying much, at least on my end. PS4 downloads are as slow as Nevada's vote counting.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they resolve their OS issues with background/suspended apps slowing downloads. That was always my biggest problem on PS4 before I worked around it.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe we should wait until the network is actually under stress. I have great download numbers on PS4 at night but not on the day

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
This is good to hear. I have a 500 Mbps connection and can hit that mark consistently on Steam downloads, yet PS4 (and Xbox One) never come close, even over ethernet.
Xb1 has a cap on download speeds, presumably the PS4 too, the cpu's and hdd's of those boxes are not really designed to handle ultra fast download speeds

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I hope this stays true after release

The PS4 download speeds are almost offensive considering we pay for network access in games.

Xb1 has a cap on download speeds, presumably the PS4 too, the cpu's and hdd's of those boxes are not really designed to handle ultra fast download speeds

Based on my PS4 Pro's download speeds it's not even meant to handle slow downloads either.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
giphy.gif

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Going from a base, original model PS4 to PS5 is going to feel like alien technology to me, lmao.

plain

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. I pay a good premium on gigabit and I'm so glad I can finally use it on a damn console.

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
I never had an issue with download speeds on PS4/Pro hard-wired. I would routinely get 20-30 MB per second which is well within the 300Mbps I should be expected to get. It didn't always max it out as it should have gotten me 37.5 MB per second but it never seemed an issue for me.

Glad it's better for people who were having issues though

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Azure for the win I guess. Last year:

news.microsoft.com

Sony and Microsoft to explore strategic partnership - Stories

Companies to collaborate on new cloud-based solutions for gaming experiences and AI solutions TOKYO and REDMOND, Wash. — May 16, 2019 — Sony Corporation (Sony) and Microsoft Corp. (Microsoft) announced on Thursday that the two companies will partner on new innovations to enhance customer...

cloud solutions in Microsoft Azure to support their respective game and content-streaming services.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
I was gonna say "Well, not many PS5 users online right now", but I all the PS4 users are probably using the same network.

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
Is there a technical reason for why this is?
Like there aren't many PS5 users online yet, even though they use the same servers, could that have an effect?