• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Is this an NA or WW thing? I ask because in EU the refund rules are different because corporations can't yet fuck over consumers quite like they can in NA.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Welp judging by this thread, CDPR's PR plan is working. The blame has successfully been shifted off of them.
As I said earlier, Sony needs to have a standard policy, play the game less than 2 hours get a refund. None of this you used the policy once before then you can't again bullshit. Get with the program! It should not be this difficult and many people say Sony makes it difficult.

With that said if the game is broken or unplayable after 2 hours then Sony should not be the one to blame other than certifying the game. CD Project Red needs to (which I think they are) work alongside all parties and have a solution other than wait for a patch.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I tried getting a refund on broken games that froze my console two times, with error code and pics as proof, they always refused. I have zero faith in their customer service.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're boned if you remove the plastic wrap for any US retailer generally.

So then this is basically the same policy or? I haven't bought a physical game from anyone but Amazon in forever so I'm confused.

Is this Sony being shitty or just a general practice shitty by the industry on games that are opened or played?

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
if you notice, they don't say you can, they basically say "check with your storefront and their return policies". They just shifted the responsibility via a nice, hopeful PR statement.
I'm assuming you and the other posts saying this haven't read the full statement as they very clearly say if you can't get a refund through those methods to email them at the provided email address and they will try to help you receive one.

Oct 26, 2017
It boggles my mind that Sony and MS passed the game through cert knowing the issues it has on base PS4 and Xbox One. That alone should make them partially responsible and thus put in a position to refund purchases.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
We don't know what's happening behind the scenes. Most of the comments here are speculating CDPR didn't handle notifying Sony and Microsoft to process refunds properly, or that the memo didn't reach out to them in time.
It seems like they probably should've waited to make this statement until they heard back from the people selling the game digitally, then. Ideally, this would be a joint statement between CDPR & the retailers - basically saying there's a mass exception on traditional refund rules for this product. Instead CDPR just announced this game was an exception, and laid the duty of executing that promise on somebody else.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The PS4 version was the only one I was able to get my hands on when I ordered it back in June, but it was always my intention to play it on PC. Yeah, I know, bad consumerism and advocation for this sort of thing on my part, but it was never my intent to play it on the PS4 to begin with.
I guess I can understand the fear of missing out and everything but I dunno. Especially in recent years it's just become so abundantly clear that pre-ordering anything always comes with the very real notion that the game could quite literally be unplayable for day, weeks, or however long. I think the last game I preordered was the PS4 version of Ys Memories of Celceta but that's just because I had already played it in the past.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
This might be an unpopular opinion but let's be honest, what incentive do Sony have to just allow all refunds to go through? They will lose out on 30% of every copy sold, and many of those will already have a significant number of play hours. They also will be dealing with quite a lot of extra customer support requests on live chat and phone over this, which incurs a cost. CDPR are just trying to pass the buck to Sony and Microsoft to handle all these refunds and I don't know why either of them would just play ball.

In my own opinion, CDPR should be punished for deceiving customers on the state of the game. If they want to do right by their customers who they deceived, then they will have to cover the platform holder's 30% cut out of their own pockets when refunding they game, to cover the cost of all the support agents who deal with this, plus card transaction fees etc etc.

They erode customer confidence in their platform. I know that any clunker I buy on Steam qualifies for a refund so I'll always shop there first. Every time.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
User banned (3 days): Console War Rhetoric

Squall93

Oct 29, 2017
Paris
Man, you really gotta demand better from companies you do business with. Steam will refund any game if it's been played less than 2 hours. My nephew was playing with my controller and accidentally purchased a game. I contacted Microsoft and they had no problem issuing me a refund. CyberPunk was busted on last gen. The company knew this. There's a reason they only showed PC footage. The game is borderline unplayable on base systems.
Xbox doesnt refund either Cyberpunk yet

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
just spoke with Sony to request a refund for the third time

for the third time, they denied me, basically saying the devs will fix it

kinda regret getting a digital edition PS5. Im handcuffed to Sony moving forward

Doesn't it run at 60fps on your PS5? Any other reason you've been trying to get a refund?

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you believe CDPR coordinated the refund policy with ALL the shops (supermarkets, gaming shops, electronic shops) during the weekend to accept all copies for the full refund?

I'm talking about ANY game return. If you take a game home and open it you can't take it back to Walmart 2 days later and ask for your money back. Once you open it, its yours.

The only place I know that takes back opened games is basically Amazon?

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Did you read their statement? It wasn't a blanket statement. It literally says they established an email you can contact if you issues getting a refund from the place you purchased from. They give you options.

I'm not talking about CDPR's statement. The state of the game itself and the way it was marketed all the way up until launch day is tantamount to a scam.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
"please use the refund system (on psn)"

So that means use the refund system BAU. There's nothing about CDPR telling Sony to refund the games as requested. We're on our own. Wow.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
They erode customer confidence in their platform. I know that any clunker I buy on Steam qualifies for a refund so I'll always shop there first. Every time.
Do you see sales slowing down? Makes sense why they are slow to adopt customer confidence when it comes to returns/refunds, just like they were to other consumer benefits.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
It's wild to think. I've got my PS4 copy coming in (collectors edition), and it's baffling to think that if I were reviewing this game I'd have to give it three scores. 1 for the PC version, 1 for the PS4/One version and 1 for the back compat version on new consoles.

Giving the PS4/One versions anything more than a 0/10 is inaccurate as far as I've seen currently.
i mean 2 out of ten it boots and does not brick your console. About the same Score Mortal Kombat Advance was given years ago.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
So then this is basically the same policy or? I haven't bought a physical game from anyone but Amazon in forever so I'm confused.

Is this Sony being shitty or just a general practice shitty by the industry on games that are opened or played?

Ehh same in a way. You can always trade in the game for a fraction of the cost to get something. But that's really not ideal imo.

Overall the general practice of refunded played games is garbage, be they physical or digital. At least in the US.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
So what happens if the patch in Jan feb doesn't fix anything?
Exactly. Also, you purchased it NOW and it doesn't work, fuck waiting to see if it might be better two months from when you bought it. Can you imagine if a car dealership said that? 'Yeh, it's not really driveable right now, but sorry you can't have a refund, as we'll be upgrading the parts in a few months for you.'
Sony you have seriously fucked up, get your refund policy fixed.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
I likened it to, I know you just bought this new car, we know we said it'd have leather, but the interior is made of aluminum foil, oh and those flat tires, we'll replace them, maybe, it about 3 months, cool?

senj

Nov 6, 2017
So charge them back. Fuck em.
This is usually pretty risky and will get you permanently banned by most companies. You'll get your money back for this one purchase, but people should be sure they understand what they may lose as well and not just treat this as an easy solution.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
So CDPR basically flipped the responsibility of refunds onto Sony and MS, when Sony is notoriously bad when it comes to refunds.

200.gif

It's why I will never go digital for consoles.
You can't get a refund on a opened physical copy so I'm not sure what the difference is. Getting store credit? lol

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Man, you really gotta demand better from companies you do business with. Steam will refund any game if it's been played less than 2 hours. My nephew was playing with my controller and accidentally purchased a game. I contacted Microsoft and they had no problem issuing me a refund. CyberPunk was busted on last gen. The company knew this. There's a reason they only showed PC footage. The game is borderline unplayable on base systems.

I work retail. I deal with returns on a daily basis. Not in the gaming field, but I see them all day every day. The vast majority of them are bullshit. People need to suck it up and cut their losses when they make their own bad purchasing decisions. And this is coming from someone who has very little money(again, I work retail)

People need to wait on pre-ordering. They need to wait and actually find out if the game functions how they want it to before they purchase it. Refunds shouldn't just be handed out because you don't like the game, because it doesn't perform how you expect it to, or because you dove in without research.

For every good reason to return/refund something, you have so many more bad reasons to refund things.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017

Sony is a profit-driven company which exclude doing anything pro-consumer if they are not forced to by competition. Sony if famous for using it's market position, especially here in the EU. Do you have any example where they did something out of their heart? There were so many but the last thing I remember is the raise of PS5 game prices and their services.

Jun 13, 2020
Now, it would be nice if a number of people bigger than zero would learn to not pre-order games again, especially on platforms that are notorious for having a horrible approach to refunds. I assume nobody learned shit though.

Kokboi

Dec 11, 2017
Yesterday they refunded my cheese sandwich. My dumbass self thought it tasted good, but it didn't. Why can't Sony be like that nice sandwich vendor?

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
This is indefensible.

Refunds should work always, and in this case is even more ridiculous because even the Dev is admitting the product is broken.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
an apology for not showing the last gen versions? lmao, you've got to be fucking kidding me, that's just insulting

Raggen

Oct 7, 2019
To me it's impossible to embrace an all digital future without a refund policy ala Steam, I don't understand why the pressure for this isn't harder on Sony etc.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's terrible, but CDPR saying that they will refund the game without even telling its publishers/console makers is hilarious
Just out of curiousity, what is terrible? The way that the costumer service replied? In that case, i dont think its their fault. They're probably havnt been getting any notification about it. Or do you mean to have a refund policy that doesnt allow refund after a game has been started? If so, i see what you mean, and i agree it would be nice if there was a policy that allowed refund if the game had been started and played maybe for max 1-2 hours or so :)

I really doubt this. Has there such a precedent? Idk if console manufacturers would have the means to do something like that in a pandemic? There are gonna be a lot of moving parts involved to get something like this executed, and in a pandemic no less.

And who is gonna pay for it? Neither Sony or MS will be willing to hold the bag for CDPR's fuck up.

CDPR: Oh hei, Sony. Its totally cool, just let these people refund.
Sony: Yeah ok and who is gonna pay for this, dumbass?
I'm not sure if there has been any precedent set for such a situation yet. I mean, there has been buggy games at launch before for sure, but i cant recall a similar situation where the publisher offers a refund to those who want it based on the game being buggy (i wont be surprised if it has happened before, but i cant recall any specific cases where it has happened).

But seeing that Cyberpunk 2077 is a pretty big titled release, i would be kinda surprised if Microsoft and/or Sony wont allow refunds when the publisher asks for it. It can make them look bad when CD Project Red themself has said that offers will be allowed. I could be wrong of course, but i will be a bit surprised if Sony wont allow refunds for this game, but we'll see what happens :)

By the way, do Microsoft/Sony lose money on offering? Honest question. I know that theres lost income, but do they have any specific expenses by offering the refund? Besides paying for bandwidth, unless the publishers already pay for this.

Last edited: