• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Every year in October there's a cosplayer at our renaissance fair who is a dead fucking ringer for Bette Midler's character.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I Put a Spell On You is a legit bop.

BOP

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just picked up the DVD from library for annual viewing lol

Nov 1, 2017
Ha, I watched the recap on goodbadflicks last night myself. It felt like the movie had a lot of heart, if they do get a proper sequel perhaps they can do a repeat and get the audience it deserves.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I think I enjoyed the movie when I was younger, but it's been a long time since I've seen it. My wife loves it, and has some Hocus Pocus merchandise. I didn't realize that it bombed so hard in theaters, but seeing when it came out and what it was up against, I can see why. Also, I haven't heard the name of the show "Eerie Indiana" in a loooong time.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I like the movie for the most part, but I've seen it too many times now due to my wife's love of the movie. I never not laugh when the bully shows that he has "ICE" shaved into his head, it's so hilariously dumb.

I still can't believe they released it in fucking July.

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I just read somewhere yday that SJP doesn't even remember making this film cos it was so unremarkable to her at the time

OP
OP
Officer Big Mac
Oct 28, 2017
I get that she was probably at a loose end after retiring from tennis, but reviewing family films was a step too far.
tenor5yzk5h.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I always found it weird the way the film constantly makes fun of the boy being a virgin when he's only about 15 or 16. Like... it's perfectly fucking normal to have not had sex at that age. And they reiterate it several times.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The movie was unusually dark for Disney which put a large focus on virginity, witches eating children, witches killing children on screen (Bink's sister), burning the sisters in an incinerator, Max's mom being Madonna wearing her cone bra.
100% THIS, I knew all about virgins/virginity when I watched this film as a kid and couldnt fathom WHY this was on a Disney Channel considering the topic.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For as much unnecessary criticism of SJP gets for her features, I definitely thought she was crazily attractive as a child-eating witch in this one...
giphy.gif

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had the biggest crush on Sarah Jessica Parker when she was in this film. 25 years later I still do.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Loved it as a kid and I love it as 36yr old. If I have kids its one of the movies I look forward to watching with them.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I gotta be honest I love to see weird, ambitious but nearly unmarketable films get a second chance at life in the home video (or, well, nowadays, streaming) market and thrive in it.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I remember hating this movie when it came out. My sister wanted me to watch it and I said hell no.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know it bombed. I had the VHS and watched it all the time.
I had it on VHS and thought it was fun, and the virginity stuff was weird. People seemed to know of it so I didn't think it was a flop. Not sure it was so good that I'd have remembered it much later, except that it's apparently a cult hit or something.

Oct 29, 2017
I was never a big fan of this movie growing up but I watched it recently because my GF insisted....Midler is the only reason to watch this movie. She chews the scenery and looks like shes having an absolute blast the entire time. She knew exactly what the role needed and nails it in every scene. Its almost enough to make up for all the other stuff that falls flat (the kids...my god, the kids. They are terrible)

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I think about it, this movie might have taught me what a corset was.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I always found it weird the way the film constantly makes fun of the boy being a virgin when he's only about 15 or 16. Like... it's perfectly fucking normal to have not had sex at that age. And they reiterate it several times.
Maybe this was just my experience and my friends were immature, but making fun of each other for being virgins was a bit of a past time.

"hurrhurr you're a virgin"
"so are you, dumbass"
"...oh yeah"

I guess I also just assumed the joke was more the embarrassment of his younger sister (who clearly didn't understand what it meant) going around telling random people her brother's a virgin, as opposed to shaming him for being one. But it's been a while since I've seen that movie (surprisingly).

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a digital copy last year. I always loved this movie. I appreciate SJP's performance a lot more now than I did as a kid ...