• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which one

• Shotgun, TV spider

Votes: 572 80.1%
  • Tank, block spider

Votes: 142 19.9%

• Total voters

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Shotgun, because I actually know how to use one (and it could easily take out a spider that size as long as you're not using birdshot) whereas I wouldn't have the first clue as to how to operate a tank.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I know how to use a Shotgun having never actually fired one. And aiming & reloading is significantly easier with a shotty even if I did have military armor training. I also feel like the Block Spider could incapacitate a tank with ease.

Perturabo

Oct 27, 2017
Do I get a choice in what kind of shotgun/shell load? 12ga 00 buckshot or slugs would do the trick.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
A city block size spider would be able to dodge a tank shell. Have you seen spiders move? They're fast!

Likewise a tv size spider would jump over you and bite your head off before you even know it. I'll take the tank so I can just drive away at least
1) Movement speed does not directly equate to reaction speed. 2) Tank shells are pretty fucking fast. 3) OP specifically says the building sized spider is slow. it ain't dodging shit.

I'd take take the tank option.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
That bitch would be dodging bullets. I'm not fucking with it.

A spider the size of a TV would jump on your face like a facehugger before you could even react, let alone aim a shotgun.

Also I'm not fighting any of these things, I don't care if it's the premise and if I have a tank. I'm running away and hiding like Tom Cruise in War of the Worlds. It's at least way easier to see (and hear) a monster the size of a city block coming.

Also those little fuckers in Cloverfield were way more dangerous to the average human than the biggie.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I don't know how to drive a tank and I don't want to accidentally blow away someone's house, so I'll go with the shotgun on the big spidey.

From some physics stuff I learned a while back, small fast creatures don't retain their speed if you were to enlarge them, so I think I'd have a good chance of defeating it with the shotgun- especially if it was topped up with shells and had a good stock/grip/[insert stats that mean good handling for shotguns]/etc.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Based on this scene I'll have to go with a city sized spider, at least it'll be easier to hit and when it jumps there's a better chance of it missing me.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Shotgun spider. If a Hobbit can do it with a knife and gamer tears I can do it with a boomstick.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People choosing the shotgun option are grossly overestimating how strong/fast/dangerous a "tv sized" spider would be.

Can someone do the math on a city block sized spider to see if they'd be proportionately strong enough to compromise a tank? My heart tells me no, but seeing stuff about how strong ants are for their size...
in either case both die on their own without you needing to lift a finger because scaling a small creature up makes it much weaker if we're talking real physics. Ants and other insects are only able to be that proportionally strong because they're super small, they'd die under their own wait scaled up even 5x because of the square cube law. And if that didn't kill then they'd overheat from their own metabolism, or suffocate because they lack a proper circulatory system

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
in either case both die on their own without you needing to lift a finger because scaling a small creature up makes it much weaker if we're talking real physics. Ants and other insects are only able to be that proportionally strong because they're super small, they'd die under their own wait scaled up even 5x because of the square cube law. And if that didn't kill then they'd overheat from their own metabolism, or suffocate because they lack a proper circulatory system

hah, obviously. All types of science about them being crushed by their own weight or not having enough oxygen in our atmosphere to support the size...

...but I'm pretty sure in this hypothetical scenario we need to suspend belief SLIGHTLY.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Just thinking about the scale I think I'd take my chances with the shotgun

QMVDYhr.png

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda seems fucked either way. TV sized spider would be incredibly fast and hard to tag. City block sized spider would probably crush a tank.

At least the tank gives me an illusion of safety. I'd feel waaaaay too vulnerable against a TV sized spider in the flesh. I'm an arachnophobe and probably would be paralyzed with terror either way lol.

Last edited:

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Tv sized spider is a nightmare. Faster than a cheetah, ridiculous jumping ability, I'd rather fight a Jurassic Park velociraptor with a wooden spoon. Being the size of buildings makes it a lot less scary looking/intimidating ironically. Sure it could pierce the tank with it's fangs but as long as it misses me I can crawl out of the tank later.

Wait... but does its speed/agility scale? Because if it does in the case of the TV spider, then wouldnt it for the Block sized spider in this situation? A block sized spider with maxed out dexterity and and STR would be absurd. I would still take the TV spider and try to funnel it through a doorway. A shotgun has a nice spread.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I feel as though the TV sized spider is by far the scarier of the two.

A spider looming over the skyline would be terrifying, but it'd be so far-removed from what's scary about regular spiders (speed and unpredictability) that it'd fall into the same category as any other giant monster.

A spider with a 65" leg span? That motherfucker would maintain everything that's unnerving about ordinary spiders, but combine it with the ability to knock you over and dig its fangs into your eye sockets. That spider has the upper hand in scaring you into freezing before shooting, and then being much faster and more dangerous than you are.

I'll take the tank.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are vastly underestimating how fast spiders can truly be. Scale that up to a 4-5 foot range and that thing is going to be a murder machine.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Wait... but does its speed/agility scale? Because if it does in the case of the TV spider, then wouldnt it for the Block sized spider in this situation? A block sized spider with maxed out dexterity and and STR would be absurd. I would still take the TV spider and try to funnel it through a doorway. A shotgun has a nice spread.
I thought it did. It's creepy but not as scary otherwise. A dog sized slow moving spider is like a zombie, easily taken care of. If it's still fast and scurrying up walls, then it's challenge time. Same with the big one, I want it to be fast otherwise what's the point, it's just a big bio tank. It's gotta be fast enough to pose a challenge to be scary otherwise it's just target practice. Just imagine a spider the length of an average 18 wheeler but with it's normal agility coming after you.

Hateno

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 30, 2017
TV sized spider is basically like going up against Spider-Man with a shotgun?

I feel a more apt comparison would be rocket launcher against tank size spider, or tank versus city block spider!

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
The TV-sized spider is still only the size of a large-sized dog or like a ten-year-old child, both well known for their susceptibility to shotgun fire. I have no clue how many tank shells it takes to kill a thing the size of a city block.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
the fight takes place where you live in either scenario

You start in separate spots of your home/city, and you must find one another.

And i get training to operate the tank??

As long as it's a newer tank and I can operate it FULLY by myself - it's tank time. I know where the highest parts of my city are and a block sized spider aint staying hidden long. I'd park up and tag that fool with shots for miles before it could even get to me and even then i can still ram it's legs even without cannon shots. Machine guns to the eyes and shit. Plus if i lose i'm most likely getting insta-crushed or something. Better than slowly drained like fuckin frodo or something.

Shot-gun would be bad either though. I'd just spend all the time it was using searching for me setting up my house as a death trap. One hallway covered with knives or spider poison and nets and shit with me at the other end with a shotty. Boompow shows over, nice try bug breath!

nice thread good stuff.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Like, look at this shit:

youtu.be

GIANT HOUSE SPIDER RUNNING FAST! RARE ACTION VIDEO

Rare Action Video Of A Fast Running Giant House Spider! 👍🏼🤤☆ Please watch the re-edited and improved version on my Nature Channel here: https://youtu.be/C...

Scale that up and you're dealing with something that moves almost faster than your eye can track. Shit will get behind you like an anime villain before you can even react. A TV sized spider would pounce and kill every single person in this thread.

This is a no win scenario, because you ain't killing a kaiju sized Kumonga Jr. with a tank either lol.

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
With the tank you can run away and let the military deal with it. I live in a relatively remote area so I probably wouldn't need to worry about collateral either.
Assuming the spider is scaled up magically and maintains its relative speed strength etc for the TV sized spider, there's no chance of winning with a shotgun.

Tank it is.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
The answers to both these scenarios totally depends on if it's one of those cute, fuzzy jumping spiders.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
What makes people think that the TV sized spider would somehow attack them. I don't think that even at that size you would seem like a prey to them, and usually spiders are super still until disturbed. The thing is you gotta absolutely hit it with your first shot. Once that shit starts moving you're in trouble.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
TV Spider is a horrific situation, especially if it's aggro. If you don't hit it on the first shot and take off at least two legs, you're done.
City Spider is so large as to be comical, but TV Spider would win by default.
I just could not. Not on any day ending in Y.
NOPE.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
I'll pass out as soon as I see it and die either way because I have a HUGE bug and spider phobia to the point where I have legit panic attacks, but I'll go with the Tank in the hopes that the tank will provide me with a little bit of protection while I'm unconscious.

I'm still fucked though.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
It probably depends on the spider species for the shotgun, but I think the tank loses pretty much every matchup.

Now if the tank had some sort of legs for better maneuverability maybe...