• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Greetings. Everyone knows the PS5 has USB C type connectivity for both DS and the console itself. The console comes bundled with a charging cable that is USB C at the end to hook to the DS and normal USB at the other end to hook to the console. Normally I don't use the cables that come with the console lest they get damaged and there is no way to repalce them cus Sony doesn't sell the cables that come with the console neither do they sell charging cables with seperate controllers. So resort to getting spare cables just in case. Also I am not fan of charging stations. And to be honest I want to try USB C to C charging cables from both endings.
I checked and there are infinite numbers of cables some aren't even worth it and many user reviews show that they burnt their devices while the cables melt which is very risky.

Can you suggest me amazing and flawless USB C to C cables that are safe to use and are compatible with PS5?

I knwo there will be deidcated cables for PS5 from third parties liek the one I am using rigth now with even PS logo but they aren't reayd yet and I want one day one. So I am counting on your guidance.

Thanks.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Generally speaking any USB C cable should work with the PS5 unless there's some USB C voodoo going on with the console I've not heard about. I have a bunch of Anker USB-C I use to power laptops, USB-C end to end. Charging a controller with them should be childs play in comparison so I'd imagine you'd be just fine with them for your use case.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
As long as you don't buy the cheapest cable you can find at a gas station, you should be fine if all you're doing is charging.

I wanted to leave the USB-C port open for future use, so I bought a A-C cable for charging. But this one's twelve feet long, so I don't have to use that dinky little 3' cable they put in the box.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Anker, Apple, Aukey, Cable Matters and UGreen have all been excellent in my experience (as someone who has bought many many cables)

Stay away from no name brand stuff.

NeoSabin

Aug 12, 2019
Here you go OP
EddJlGl.jpeg

LINK:

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I bought magnetic USB C cables.
I've had Micro-USB ones for years now for the DS4s and our phones and tablets and Kindles, and already have little plugs for C for the new controllers. They work fantastic and put no stress on the ports as there's no insert/remove. And they do data transfer as well so I use them for PC "wired" controllers.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not to worried about USB C to C cables(or USB C to A, for that matter), but I do wonder if the DualSense battery won't fry when connected to various quickcharge adapters like the DS4 did. I am definitely playing it safe early on and only use 1.5A 5V adapters.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ikea do one now, LILLHULT USB type C to USB C cord 1.5 m.

It's even got a black&white braid to match the PS5.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
Monoprice have a pretty great rep basically as "the cable company". They have a .eu store, too, apparently. I mainly know them for their video cables, but I assume their other ones are legit as well.

Turbocharge

Sep 28, 2020
So many people have said it already, but: Anker.

Any time I buy a portable charger or spare cables, I always go with these guys. Only had one cable fail and that's because I accidentally knocked the end and bent the connector.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand. Why wouldn't you use the cable that it comes with?

Thats what I'm wondering. This ain't like a Vita 1000 situation where its a unique cable. Just use the one in the box and replace if needed. Hell there's even a charging station you can buy if you're that concerned with cable health

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping it'll charge using the same cable I use for my switch pro controller - connected to the switch dock

Nov 8, 2017
If it's only to charge the controller, I would guess any cable would work. It probably won't charge beyond USB 2.0 speeds.

If you want to be safe, get something certified for USB Power Delivery, or PD.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Maybe it's too early but do we expect USBC to USBC cables to charge the controller faster?

3 of the 4 ports on the PS5 are rated SuperSpeed / 10Gbps whether you use Blue 3.0 type USB-A or Type C plug the port is still going to operate at its rated speed. The only exception is the single USB 2.0 port on the front of the console.

It's the port bus speed that matters not the shape of the connector itself.

Even using a Type-A to Type-C connector. There are different cases though like using a USB 2.0 device on a 3.0 port. Because Universal Serial Bus is backwards compatible and will run at the base speed of the connected device.

It's just there is a perception going around that Type-C to Type-C has performance difference over SuperSpeed Type-A to Type-C

10Gbps is still 10Gbps regardless.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
3 of the 4 ports on the PS5 are rated SuperSpeed / 10Gbps whether you use Blue 3.0 type USB-A or Type C plug the port is still going to operate at its rated speed. The only exception is the single USB 2.0 port on the front of the console.

Even using a Type-A to Type-C connector. There are different cases though like using a USB 2.0 device on a 3.0 port. Because Universal Serial Bus is backwards compatible and will run at the base speed of the connected device.

It's just there is a perception going around that Type-C to Type-C has performance difference over SuperSpeed Type-A to Type-C

Right, but he's asking specifically about charging the battery, which isn't measured in bits.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Right, but he's asking specifically about charging the battery, which isn't measured in bits.

I'd normally wouldn't use cables not designed for the devices the system comes with. If the PS5 Dualsense charging cable is a USB-C to USB-A to the console with a specific rated power delivery to the port of the Dualsense for the sake of charging purposes. You aren't given any sort of guarantee, especially not from Sony in regards to warranty that using a different type of cable is going to give you an above optimal results for usage.

Going from Type C to Type C or even Type A to Type C probably won't matter in this case, unless you are using a high wattage output wallplug. Something probably not intended by design.

Sure you can use whatever cable you want but I don't see any reason why you wouldn't use the cable supplied that comes with the hardware given to you outside of some sort of known speed advantage and IF the Dualsense is not designed to be utilized with speed chargers with higher wattage output, that is a risk others may be willing to take and certainly not something I'd personally recommend.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OP, the front USB A port is specifically a 2.0 port likely made specifically for charging. There are 3.2 gen 2 ports on the console as well that are faster for data, but won't charge your controller faster. A C-to-C cable won't necessarily charge your controller faster either, depends on what brick you're plugging your controller into. (unless you already have a USB C charge brick sitting by where you're going to play, in which case - you can grab any)

Also, don't be afraid of slower charging. If anything, it is healthier in the long run for batteries. The slower the charge, the less heat is generated. In theory your controller could last months, maybe even years longer than one that's always charged up by a super-fast brick. (and we don't know yet if Sony put any sort of safeguards to protect their controller from degrading faster by fast charge like some phones do)

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'd normally wouldn't use cables not designed for the devices the system comes with. If the PS5 Dualsense charging cable is a USB-C to USB-A to the console with a specific rated power delivery to the port of the Dualsense for the sake of charging purposes. You aren't given any sort of guarantee, especially not from Sony in regards to warranty that using a different type of cable is going to give you an above optimal results for usage.

Going from Type C to Type C or even Type A to Type C probably won't matter in this case, unless you are using a high wattage output wallplug. Something probably not intended by design.

Sure you can use whatever cable you want but I don't see any reason why you wouldn't use the cable supplied that comes with the hardware given to you outside of some sort of known speed advantage and IF the Dualsense is not designed to be utilized with speed chargers with higher wattage output, that is a risk others may be willing to take and certainly not something I'd personally recommend.
No, I'm totally with you and would also just recommend the stock cables (or the official charging station in my case), but it just seems like you very thoroughly answered a completely different question than what was asked.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
OP, the front USB A port is specifically a 2.0 port likely made specifically for charging. There are 3.2 gen 2 ports on the console as well that are faster for data, but won't charge your controller faster. A C-to-C cable won't necessarily charge your controller faster either, depends on what brick you're plugging your controller into. (unless you already have a USB C charge brick sitting by where you're going to play, in which case - you can grab any)

He might want to use the USB-A port for something else like a wireless headset dongle, that's what I'm using mine for.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping the cable that came bundled with my Xperia phone is compatible.
Edit: mine's not C to A, though. I think the Xperia 1 mk II and Xperia 5 mk II have C to C cables, though.

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
USB 3.2 Gen2 10 Gbps 5A C-C Cable

Monoprice AtlasFlex Series Durable USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C Data & Power Kevlar Reinforced Nylon-Braid Cable, 5A/100W, 1m, Red - Monoprice.com

Monoprice AtlasFlex? cables are built to outlast and outperform every cable that's come before. Each cable is fitted with reinforced, robust aluminum connectors to withstand any

Free shipping, and lifetime warranty too if they ever break, you just send them a picture of the cable and they ship out a replacement.

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i can see OP is probably an iphone users because any android users that changed phones alot (like myself) will have plenty of usb c to c to usb c to a cables that came with the phones lying around..

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

If I'm not mistaken, USB Power Delivery protocol is limited to TypeC-to-TypeC connection. Then again we have no idea if DualSense supports fast charging (unlikely imo) so it's not much of a concern.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Anker is my goto for cables but a second option are the cables from IKEA. They have been great for all use cases and are on par with ankers offerings. I've even grown to like them a bit more cause they're braided.

IKEA USB C to C

OP
OP
PLASTICA-MAN

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for late response and thank you all for your suggestions.

I forgot to mention on PS4 I sed the Isnigna cables that oifficially support the PS4 DS4 and have even PS Logo, sadly they didn''t make one yet for PS5.

So you just never use the original cables?

Yes. As far as things that can't be replaced like power, HDMI, pwoer cabels, I don't use anything that comes with the device only the device and it's peripherals (here the PS5 and DS/same for TV and remote). Because I knwo there is now ay to get those exact same cables from the market so i keep them safe and not get used (just in case I want to sell the device in good conditions)

Generally speaking any USB C cable should work with the PS5 unless there's some USB C voodoo going on with the console I've not heard about. I have a bunch of Anker USB-C I use to power laptops, USB-C end to end. Charging a controller with them should be childs play in comparison so I'd imagine you'd be just fine with them for your use case.

I always go with anker cables.

Anything by Anker is usually solid. That's my suggestion to you.

Buy Anker cables from Amazon. Good quality at decent prices.

So I read Anker are praised. I am just hesitating between getting normal USB with the other USB C end (liek the one bundled or USB C to C cable from the or both. Are both types good from them?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

I forgot to mention on PS4 I sed the Isnigna cables that oifficially support the PS4 DS4 and have even PS Logo, sadly they didn''t make one yet for PS5.

Yes. As far as things that can't be replaced like power, HDMI, pwoer cabels, I don't use anything that comes with the device only the device and it's peripherals (here the PS5 and DS/same for TV and remote). Because I knwo there is now ay to get those exact same cables from the market so i keep them safe and not get used (just in case I want to sell the device in good conditions)

So I read Anker are praised. I am just hesitating between getting normal USB with the other USB C end (liek the one bundled or USB C to C cable from the or both. Are both types good from them?
Either type should work as long as you have the USB-C side. They make good cables overall

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth

Yeah, all of their cables are great.

OP
OP
PLASTICA-MAN

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry to ask this again but I am reading many cables like the Amazon cables and Anker cables whether normal USB C or USB C to C have some issues for some like they melt the phones or the cables melt. This is so risky if it happens. Whats the best cables of that have less risks of getting such issues? Thanks

If only Sony did sell their own official PS5 cables separately.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
love me some anker cables

An alternative cable suggestion would be Fasgear cables. I got some PD rated USB C cables that allows samsung super fast charging 2.0 over 3 metres. Very convenient at work and home.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The stock ones that come with it. Those are the only ones that are guaranteed to be designed for the items they came with.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to ask this again but I am reading many cables like the Amazon cables and Anker cables whether normal USB C or USB C to C have some issues for some like they melt the phones or the cables melt. This is so risky if it happens. Whats the best cables of that have less risks of getting such issues? Thanks

If only Sony did sell their own official PS5 cables separately.
You're not going to have an issue. If you're that worried about cables, you need to be worried about any cable since the same significantly minor risks you're trying to avoid you can run into charging your phone, laptop, or giving signal to your PS5 itself via an HDMI cable.

Buy this and live your life. Buy Anker and live your life. Buy Sony and live your life. Buy Apple and live your life. Buy Monoprice and live your life. The results are going to be the same either way; your battery will be charged.