• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Hate to say it, but this was all the dems fault that this hadn't gone through. They were being unreasonable I think with the unemployment checks. People were making more money by not working, and that just ain't right. I understand people were put in a situation where they had no choice, but I think at some point it makes sense to stop the unemployment payments from being as high as they were. I guess I'm a little bitter about people being unemployed making more money than me when I work at a hospital. Hazard pay would have been nice all this time.

Don't worry. A lot of those dumb poor people are now getting nothing and will be facing foreclosure and evictions soon.

That will teach them.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/09/no-second-stimulus-check-republican-skinny-stimulus.html

the white house may push harder for a smaller bill, given the steps the USDA is taking to continue some forms of food aid for the rest of the year and now trump putting out an eviction moratorium that actually has some teeth to it (though good luck on owing all that money when sued anyway).

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/01/business/eviction-moratorium-order.html

none of this still stops that people need direct cash help and expanded food stamps/ui/checks will do a lot to help that. even if the republicans get 51 votes for the skinny deal,... that show piece mitch is trying to put out is really a last ditch effort to save some face. the fact it is such a low ball shows what a mess the republicans are on this.

it feels like the biggest question is when the white house and the dems can reach a deal on state aid so this gets done... and thats a question that feels truly up in the air between now and September 30th,

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Hate to say it, but this was all the dems fault that this hadn't gone through. They were being unreasonable I think with the unemployment checks. People were making more money by not working, and that just ain't right. I understand people were put in a situation where they had no choice, but I think at some point it makes sense to stop the unemployment payments from being as high as they were. I guess I'm a little bitter about people being unemployed making more money than me when I work at a hospital. Hazard pay would have been nice all this time.

I know I'm not the first to say this but I honestly you were being sarcastic with how bad a take this is.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
No I make about $14 an hour, but after insurance and taxes, I only take home about $700 every two weeks.

$600 every week PLUS their base pay for unemployment was outrageous. I was lucky to bring home $1400 a month, but being unemployed got people almost $3000 a month.

That must be some expensive insurance. Even when I was making $12/hour I was still taking home over $800 every two weeks.

And while I understand why you're upset, because I was too, unemployment checks are only temporary anyway.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
It's just sad how little the GOP cares about the poor/unemployed. It's going to be a long and very tough time until January for many people who are currently struggling as at this point it feels like the only hope for another stimulus check would be if/when Biden wins the election and takes control in January.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
It's just sad how little the GOP cares about the poor/unemployed. It's going to be a long and very tough time until January for many people who are currently struggling as at this point it feels like the only hope for another stimulus check would be if/when Biden wins the election and takes control in January.

Their whole platform is kill the poor so it's pretty on brand for them.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
That must be some expensive insurance. Even when I was making $12/hour I was still taking home over $800 every two weeks.

And while I understand why you're upset, because I was too, unemployment checks are only temporary anyway.

If your take home was over 800 dollars after taxes on 12 an hour, you weren't having much if anything deducted from your pay checks. 12 an hour is barely 1800 a month and you are saying your take home was over 1600? The poster you quoted didn't have expensive insurance, they just had insurance and taxes. Seems fairly normal to me, it's your take home that is less ideal.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
If your take home was over 800 dollars after taxes on 12 an hour, you weren't having much if anything deducted from your pay checks. 12 an hour is barely 1800 a month and you are saying your take home was over 1600? The poster you quoted didn't have expensive insurance, they just had insurance and taxes. Seems fairly normal to me, it's your take home that is less ideal.

Yeah, now that I think about it, its probably not that much out of his check. After everything that's taken out of mine, my take home is just over $10/hour.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I know I'm not the first to say this but I honestly you were being sarcastic with how bad a take this is.
Indeed. There was zero good faith effort from Senate Republicans to even negotiate, let alone pass a bill that can be reconciliated with the House. And the whole point of paying people "a lot" is to make sure they stay home and not have to go out and pick up odd and end jobs that expose them to the virus. As a whole society and economy we benefit from people sitting in their house, isolated for a few months to crush this. We're the richest country in the world supposedly, affording to spend a little now would pay off in spades later.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I think it's too early to say nothing will pass. There's gonna be a big showdown later this month over keeping the government funded. The question is whether Pelosi is playing hardball to the point of forcing a shutdown or not.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017

if confirmed, who knows where this is going but thats not a great update. most of the assumption has been pelosi is using it as a bargaining chip to make a deal closer to the dems wants.

trumps EO's really sucked some of the air out of the room, even if most weren't very helpful.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Does any of the Michigan people in here know when the extra $300 and the retro will be added to our UI claims???

May 8, 2018
www.cnbc.com

Pence says White House, Congress have reached agreement to avoid shutdown without adding coronavirus relief

Vice President Mike Pence told CNBC that avoiding a shutdown with a continuing resolution would allow officials to focus on coronavirus stimulus.

So the thought was the dems would force the republicans to take stimulus seriously by tying it to the budget. Not happening apparently. Doesn't seem like more stimulus is a priority.

Does that really surprise you? Let's be honest nobody in DC really gives a shit about the people. IF they did our system and government wouldn't be near as useless and our lives would actually be better off. They quit giving a damn about the people many years ago.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
on the upside... pence was arguing for another round of direct payments today, kudlow seemed on board today as well with more aid being needed. the white house position is the same even though senate R's don't seem to have enough support for doing much by itself.

on the downside it seems maybe the dems waited too long to move on some of this, so the scope of any bill is in question. theres still a ton of pressure on both parties and the white house to get a deal done as money from the previous bill is drying up and the economy is at a real hanging point, but im not sure where pelosi is going with this and the state aid anymore. i think she can get something, but its not going to be anywhere near the amount shes asking and the headwinds are turning against her arguments for bigger sum.

at this point does she just wait until covid hits another wave for political pressure? the positioning feels wonky, since your in a way giving trump a win on the UI or any additional aid like checks unless they push this so far out that the money wont start flowing until closer to the election anyway.

the politics behind this is messy and making both sides of congress look broken as usual. its sad to say, but maybe the stock market/banks displeasure with no additional stimulus gets some of these people to move on something lol

Last edited:

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
"We have 300 billion in an account we don't need anymore because of how great the economy is again, and we're willing to use it for people in need."

Donald Trump today.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
The thing is, he said that tonight while at the same time begging for Nancy to negotiate with his team.

Just said, "We have 300 billion, but I guess I cant use it without permission, so I ask the congress to let me use it."

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
*sigh*

Dare I ask... is ANYTHING happening with this?
It's not going to happen. The problem is that Trump is toast at this point and no stimulus will help him but it would help Biden. So safe senate republicans aren't going to vote for anything. McConnell already said 20 no votes a long time ago. Trump wants the checks to buy votes since that'll hit quick but the Dems aren't going to just do that. At this point the republicans can ride on the trajectory of the economy for two months even if it still sucks and worse is coming.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I bet if we do get anything, he will aim for before election day, but most won't get it till after Nov 3rd. Esp any mailed checks caused of the USPS fuckery.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
www.cnn.com

McConnell sets stage for showdown stimulus vote

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announced Tuesday he would force his chamber to cast a test vote this week on a new version of his party's economic recovery plan, putting pressure on Republicans to get behind a measure meant to serve as an election-year contrast with Democrats.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
My read on this is that congressional democrats won't accept a bill without federal funding for hard hit states, but Trump will never under any circumstances approve a bill that sends funding to New York. Am I off on this?

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
My read on this is that congressional democrats won't accept a bill without federal funding for hard hit states, but Trump will never under any circumstances approve a bill that sends funding to New York. Am I off on this?

Pretty sure they want federal funding for all states/localities (with obviously it being divvied up according to who was hurting worse). But yes, that's how Trump sees it, is bailing out blue states (despite the fact it'd also bail out Arizona, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Etc.)

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Mitch is hoping to get this bill out knowing full well the Democrats will shoot it down in hope that the Democrats will restart negotiations. As it stands now, Pelosi won't budge at all from her $2.2 trillion bill. So either Pelosi accepts a smaller bill or the stimulus bill and checks are completely dead and no one gets any relief.