• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
People deserve so much more than either party wants to do. Other countries have given citizens a monthly stipend. They've followed recommendations and they're surviving this. Here we're ignoring rules and so many people are out of work, working reduced hours, etc and it's crumbling. Sadly I don't see anything getting done till after the election if Dem's get more control.
The plan the Democrats passed in the House actually contains monthly stipends. The Republicans dont want those (nor do a handful of Democrats in both the House and Senate, btw).

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
www.forbes.com

Second Stimulus: Trump Willing To ‘Sign Something At $1.3 Trillion,’ Says White House Chief Of Staff

After several weeks without progress on a second stimulus package, the White House indicated a willingness to relent on some of the Democrats financial demands.

versus:

I really wish Pelosi would just do the 1.3 trillion bill. They could always pass another one in January if Biden gets in. At this stage, if she doesn't budge then it's highly likely Americans won't get the help they desperately need because the Republicans won't budge on the expense either. This looks completely dead at this point and it's really unfortunate.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing that it's now over 5 months since congress passed the 1st stimulus check, millions of people are still unemployed, Millions can't afford food , coronavirus cases are steadily increasing for weeks now and we are just about to hit September and we still don't even no IF we might get a 2nd stimulus let alone when. It's frustrating and sad just how little this current administration cares about many of the people in this country.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's amazing that it's now over 5 months since congress passed the 1st stimulus check, millions of people are still unemployed, Millions can't afford food , coronavirus cases are steadily increasing for weeks now and we are just about to hit September and we still don't even no IF we might get a 2nd stimulus let alone when. It's frustrating and sad just how little this current administration cares about many of the people in this country.

We will all have to buckle up and wait and see if Biden gets in. Best case scenario he can start working on a second stimulus package in January/February but if the Senate remains in power then they will no doubt kill any effort put forward then as well. It's disappointing but as always voting matters. Just got to hold out hope that the Democrats can some how beat Trump (even with him actively working on ways to steal the election) and then finally we can work as a nation to try and properly deal with coronavirus, the economy, etc.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I hope to God this gets people to vote in numbers never seen before.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
We will all have to buckle up and wait and see if Biden gets in. Best case scenario he can start working on a second stimulus package in January/February but if the Senate remains in power then they will no doubt kill any effort put forward then as well. It's disappointing but as always voting matters. Just got to hold out hope that the Democrats can some how beat Trump (even with him actively working on ways to steal the election) and then finally we can work as a nation to try and properly deal with coronavirus, the economy, etc.

That is the tragic thing too, even if we win the senate along with the White House, a January/February stimulus check might be far too late for millions of people who are already struggling now or many who have been struggling for months. There are so many solutions that could be had to help alleviate the struggle of millions at least even somewhat, this administration just doesn't care. There's no empathy to be found.

I hope to God this gets people to vote in numbers never seen before.

I truly hope so, it's absolutely revolving what this administration has been allowed to get away with.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In my own personal life, I know a lot of Democrats and nearly none of them are anymore interested in voting then they were last presidential election. Most people just don't want to bother. :(

On the same anecdotal level I think think a lot of people who are close friends who are normally content with not giving a shit and happy not voting, are no longer and are sick of Trump's shit.

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
if i had a dime for every time someone asked if i'm going to vote for DT now after he "gave" us "all that money", i'd probably have $1. the answer will still a no. but anyway.

has anybody started receiving their back pay from the FEMA unemployment EO DT signed last month? my state lists "early September" as their start date for releasing it. i'm hoping it'll be attached to this weeks payout.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
kinda tempted to wish for democrats to fold, just so some relief can go thru. really looks like republicans wont budge.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
i'm convinced i read a tweet from a reporter saying something along the lines of "Pelosi says 1 billion is too low while GOP says nothing over 2b would pass the Senate" so naturally dems hold to their original 3b plan
I think you mean trillion.

Currently the republicans are at 1.3 trillion, which is up from 500 billion last week. Pelosi today lowered the dems proposal to 2.2 trillion from 2.4 trillion, which was 3.2 trillion a month ago.

www.forbes.com

Stimulus Deal Getting Closer, But There's More Work To Be Done

A stimulus package came close to reality last week as the parties moved $500 billion closer to a deal. Here's what still needs to be done and how the parties might reach a deal.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Another week and no extra money in check that Governor Baker said was coming a couple weeks ago.
Mass here.
Was in Boston last week. So much stuff closed. How the hell we coming back from this?

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
Damn so it ain't even at a trillion no more. It'll be 250 billion by the time October gets here.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
They're going all in on the $500b bill and will blame Dems when it doesn't pass the House.

That will backfire though if it can't pass the GOP controlled Senate, which is why they're trying to get more party support for it.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
They're going all in on the $500b bill and will blame Dems when it doesn't pass the House.

That will backfire though if it can't pass the GOP controlled Senate, which is why they're trying to get more party support for it.
It's a losing argument for them since the dems voted on and passed a much more substantial stimulus bill already.

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017
It's a losing argument for them since the dems voted on and passed a much more substantial stimulus bill already.
And we see the WH side is getting more desperate to pass something and slowly coming up on the amounts they said they would agree to. It just seems like they are trying to gain some upper hand but hold none of the cards here.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
First all our favorite haunts die, then us.

Just in the last few days - Friendly Toast, Cheers in Faneuil, Bull McCabe's, and freakin' Fours, the #1 sports bar in the country. Probably Cantab too. Those are just the ones I know. Ton of my old haunts. It's really depressing.

Last edited:

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just in the last few days - Friendly Toast, Cheers in Faneuil, Bull McCabe's, and freakin' Fours, the #1 sports bar in the country. Probably Cantab too. Those are just the ones I know. Ton of my old haunts. It's really depressing.
FRIENDLY TOAST CLOSED!?
MOTHER FUCKER.

I used to go there all the time in college...

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
First all our favorite haunts die, then us.
Was in for small protest last Friday afternoon and had to hit up that Cheers one more time. Manager said if spot is still available on the other side of this damn Pandemic that a return is not out of question but only losing money now.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Welp

www.cnn.com

Senate GOP leaders look to lock down Republican support for new stimulus plan after weeks of party divisions

Senate Republicans want to set up a showdown vote this month over a $500 billion recovery package even as the two parties are nowhere near an agreement over how to continue Washington's massive intervention into the teetering economy with just two months until Election Day.
That's why it wasn't worth humoring the 1.3 trillion budget. Republicans always redraw the line.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Was in for small protest last Friday afternoon and had to hit up that Cheers one more time. Manager said if spot is still available on the other side of this damn Pandemic that a return is not out of question but only losing money now.

Yeah that's the one. Been going to the one in Manchester, NH since they opened and it's way closer to me but that one really hurts.

Yup, I live right in the city and it's really starting to set in. Landmark institutions here in Boston closing left and right - was kind of unfathomable.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Welp

www.cnn.com

Senate GOP leaders look to lock down Republican support for new stimulus plan after weeks of party divisions

Senate Republicans want to set up a showdown vote this month over a $500 billion recovery package even as the two parties are nowhere near an agreement over how to continue Washington's massive intervention into the teetering economy with just two months until Election Day.
As Stewart would say, keep fucking that chicken.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017

I work in Kendall, or at least I did pre pandemic, not sure how many of the restaurants near the theatre can survive. Friendly Toast and Flat Top Johnny's are gone, hopefully CBC and the BBQ place stick around...

Heisenberg

Oct 25, 2017
I've been following these 2nd stimulus talks since early July. I've never been in more doubt about getting anything passed than am I right now. I don't think it's happening.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Hate to say it, but this was all the dems fault that this hadn't gone through. They were being unreasonable I think with the unemployment checks. People were making more money by not working, and that just ain't right. I understand people were put in a situation where they had no choice, but I think at some point it makes sense to stop the unemployment payments from being as high as they were. I guess I'm a little bitter about people being unemployed making more money than me when I work at a hospital. Hazard pay would have been nice all this time.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hate to say it, but this was all the dems fault that this hadn't gone through. They were being unreasonable I think with the unemployment checks. People were making more money by not working, and that just ain't right. I understand people were put in a situation where they had no choice, but I think at some point it makes sense to stop the unemployment payments from being as high as they were. I guess I'm a little bitter about people being unemployed making more money than me when I work at a hospital. Hazard pay would have been nice all this time.

WTF is this!?

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

you are bitter. you're blaming fellow workers for you not making enough during the pandemic.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
You make minimum wage in a hospital? Wtf.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well now they're making less than they were before and are in a more financially perilous situation because if it.

But at least you're making more than then now, because that's what the problem really was, not that you aren't being paid a living wage, right?

Sillution

Oct 25, 2017
Glad you think support was to much where that was the only thing helping my family which now we are stuck with none and about to lose our home which now we can't afford to make payments to because of being unemployed.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Yikes.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Punch up and not down. This only highlights the problem that most aren't paid a living wage

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
You make minimum wage in a hospital? Wtf.
No I make about $14 an hour, but after insurance and taxes, I only take home about $700 every two weeks.

$600 every week PLUS their base pay for unemployment was outrageous. I was lucky to bring home $1400 a month, but being unemployed got people almost $3000 a month.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So does it look like the unemployment benefits are just gonna be completely removed at this point? If anything passes at all, which I'm doubtful for.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
No I make about $14 an hour, but after insurance and taxes, I only take home about $700 every two weeks.

$600 every week PLUS their base pay for unemployment was outrageous. I was lucky to bring home $1400 a month, but being unemployed got people almost $3000 a month.
Oh no... people got paid a living wage... the horror the horror.
Just because I'm underpaid everyone else should suffer more than me. Outrage OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!
(also that $600 was before tax as well and they have to buy health insurance out of pocket without employer support so you still likely are in a better position than a lot of them were at the time and for sure now. And absolutely you should have gotten hazard pay but the GOP wouldn't support that. but totally the dems fault you are right.)

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

I think the solution is that you should be making more.

I think it's interesting that you're discounting them having to pay taxes too and not having insurance. Where they can do COBRA for $600+ a month for an individual or try the ACA exchange.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Well you'll be glad to know I now make a quarter of my old paycheck on unemployment after being laid off, as opposed to 80% with the extra.

Technically less, because I have to pay for COBRA as well.

But at least it isn't more than what you make, so you've got that to be happy about.