• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
common sense. copying and pasting the bone density shit in every thread about this doesn't make it valid. but I'm out, this isnt worth it. there is a select group of people here that will never be rational about this, and they will always turn it into a hate thing. I get why, but I shouldn't have engaged.

>makes a bigoted post
>cries when called out for bigoted post

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
no, not showing the id to pee. But lets say you are at in a shopping centre and a trans woman harasses you in the bathroom, when you call security, theyd check his I.D. Doing this kind of stuff is a crime where I live, so the man impersonating a trans woman would be arrested.

Did you just call a trans woman he?

Brah you know who else would be arrested?

Trans women who haven't gotten their ID changed, which usually requires full surgery and what not, and in some states you can never change it.

But keep suggesting how oppressing trans women further is the solution to stopping the oppression of trans women.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
That is what I am saying. make an open division and a womens division. We might see a women or two make it to the open division, and that would be great, but its not gonna become a standard.

But then you will run into a problem of dudes wondering why they have to share their stage when women have their own stage to stand on? If Women Have their own Division than Men would want their own Division also. It would be hard to argue against that.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you read the article or studies? I think that would help change your perspective.
The three times world champion US Women's National soccer Team have said many times that they can only spar with up to U-15 Men's teams or else they get run over by a professional men's team. That's their words, not mine. And that's soccer, not the most contact-y sport of them all I can't inagine how in weightlifting this difference can get. Isn't the world records consistently higher in kilograms lifted in the men's than the women's side? Same thing in track and field.

I'm all for trans rights (H. Bomberguy is the shit) but this is a very complex topic where the answer may not be simple at all.

Deleted member 11822

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 weeks): transphobia
Train with male testosterone levels for years then compete against woman.... It's not a level playing field so this is the correct call.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no, not showing the id to pee. But lets say you are at in a shopping centre and a trans woman harasses you in the bathroom, when you call security, theyd check his I.D. Doing this kind of stuff is a crime where I live, so the man impersonating a trans woman would be arrested.

Nice misgendering of transwomen there. Your idea is actually more harmful to trans people than it is to any cis people who are scared of us.

You're literally opening up every trans person who hasn't managed to change their ID to futher harassment in a place where you admit that people are out to get trans people. You're not even thinking about this from the perspective of trans people, but instead on how this can make things easier for literally everyone else.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

What the hell kinda of point are you even trying to make

None of this makes sense

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
The three times world champion US Women's National soccer Team have said many times that they can only spar with up to U-15 Men's teams or else they get run over by a professional men's team. That's their words, not mine. And that's soccer, not the most contact-y sport of them all I can't inagine how in weightlifting this difference can get. Isn't the world records consistently higher in kilograms lifted in the men's than the women's side? Same thing in track and field.

I'm all for trans rights (H. Bomberguy is the shit) but this is a very complex topic where the answer may not be simple at all.
I don't care how much you think you are for trans rights, when you use "yeah but men are stronger" to talk about trans women in women's sports

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're talking about different divisions based on their physicality. The gap, if one exists between one man and one woman, would not be the greatest powerlifter vs. a medium-weight woman.
This is fantasy. Look at powerlifting records by weight class, similar weight men still outlift their woman counterparts by A LOT. Those women are not lazy and not just training enough.. give me a break.

Oct 27, 2017
I would imagine hormone therapy would limit your muscle growth and put you on a more even playing field, right?

I'm at a powerlifting gym 4 times a week, and this topic actually comes up a lot. Obviously most of the dudes in there have limited views on the subject, to put it nicely.

It's funny, they're the first to say "strength is strength" but that argument falls apart with weight and gender divisions.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Except there's no significant studies to show that there is any competitive advantage that transgender athletes have over cisgender ones.

Are there studies that say that there is no competitive advantage?

Not trying to be a devils advocate or contrarian. Genuinely curious, and asking because I'm sure there are people well equipped to answer this question that will be participating in this thread.

I think it's important to not eliminate the focus of discrimination in this conversation, but I am curious-- trying to look at this from the perspective of regulating a sports league. In almost all drug tested sports leagues/promotions/orgs, performance enhancing drugs are banned. Altering your natural abilities is prohibited. Transgender athletes live in a gray area here, no? The article points out that the athlete in question was allowed to participate in their non-drug tested division.

The article, and your post, points out that there is obviously natural genetic advantages that certain individuals have, but we've accepted that as true and fine, but we still prohibited other athletes from using steroids, or other PEDs to try to close the gap that the natural competitors have over them.

I just feel like there are two conversations happening here.

I am honestly not trying to sound flagrant or ignorant, so please excuse me if I am.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're talking about different divisions based on their physicality. The gap, if one exists between one man and one woman, would not be the greatest powerlifter vs. a medium-weight woman.
The men and women who are competing at powerlifting competitions at this stage are all really really really dedicated at their craft. No one is going to outtrain anyone that much. this is not Rocky or a anime in which if you can train you can beat someone there are just can't train for. That's why we have divisions

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Can you explain why you think this? Everything in me thinks that such a ban would in fact force the conversation even more. Look at this thread. If anything, forcing the separation should push the issue of getting the research that proves the ban is ridiculous to begin with. And once thats out we fix things. I can't really see how either way would slow down the likelihood that research on this topic would be pursued.

Why would you want to become a professional sports player if you will not be able to compete with your basic rights being respected ?

Banning trans women from competing means banning trans women from becoming powerlifters

If a person is harassing another they will be jailed no matter the gender they identify.
What you are doing is saying the imaginary safety of one people trumps the rights of others.

Also "his id" for a trans woman is transphobic.

Oct 25, 2017
Really... Fuck out of here.

If I said "Make a male league and an open league. No need to make a league that is women only." I would get jumped on...

And now you're going to get jumped on because you don't appreciate why these are different.

A male league is not necessary, whereas a female league is valuable.

That said, it's always very interesting to me that things such as, say, archery often do not have co-ed divisions. Things like that seem to feed into the idea that women's brains are inferior.

The men and women who are competing at powerlifting competitions at this stage are all really really really dedicated at their craft. No one is going to outtrain anyone that much. this is not Rocky or a anime in which if you can train you can beat someone there are just can't train for. That's why I have a open divisions are dumb.

But Rocky lost, so this is Rocky I guess according to your perspective

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I did. You think that's enough to shut and close this issue?

You certainly did not, because you felt that monitoring hormone levels was tricky to manage, which is something that is already done for trans athletes, as well as done by our doctors to make sure that everything is okay.

Please take the time to actually read the sources and think past your own preconceptions here.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Why is everyone assuming men are competing against women.

Ya'll know what hormones and testosterone blockers are, right?

Theduce22

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Transphobia
If you were born a man compete vs other men regardless of your gender identity. Why do we make this so complicated?

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
There is no need to make a men's only division when the sports are dominated by men, why is that so hard to see? You create a special division to nurture talent and give the space for an fair competition among women.

But there is already a female League. An Open league between Male and Female leagues would just be almost another team of dudes that washed out of the Male league for some reason and some women. It would not be anywhere nearly as equal as people invision.

Kaloskatoa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you just call a trans woman he?

Brah you know who else would be arrested?

Trans women who haven't gotten their ID changed, which usually requires full surgery and what not, and in some states you can never change it.

But keep suggesting how oppressing trans women further is the solution to stopping the oppression of trans women.

i said "he" because in this case we are not talking about a trans woman, but a male harasser.

Its obvious that im only proposing this solution in places where changing the Id is easy, as it should be anywhere in the world.

Stop fighting with shadows, not everyone is trying to opress trans woman. In fact, i want to protect them as much as humanly possible.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The right thing is absolutely not BAN EVERY TRANS WOMAN the second the FIRST TRANS WOMAN WIN SOMETHING
Trans women have been able to transition for DECADES and just now a trans woman won something.

I certainly agree that forbidding any class of person from anything is a slippery slope, inately and absolutely discriminatory - but unfortunately we're going to have to go through a lot of ugly experimentation and tuning to get to the right answer. So I think you're right that the answer is NOT - but what's the "IS" answer? How is this resolved?

There's a cartoonish range of possibilities - that gets CRAZY complex internationally - including countries that range from literally executing trans people - so athletes would refuse to or be forbidden from competing there -- to (allegedly) deliberately sneaking (biological) men into past womens' competition. The IOC's existing guideline is only "fair" for one class of athlete, and tbh seems (possibly) disingenuous to me - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...tes-can-take-part-in-olympics-without-surgery and obviously doesn't solve the problem at hand.

Is there even a general agreed-upon position on this globally, from the Trans community perspective? What's the suggested solve? (As opposed to agreement on what's unacceptable)

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

A 125 lb man can squat about 600+ lbs. A 125 lb women can squat about 400 lbs. The woman can bench about 250 lbs and the man can bench about 450 lbs. The woman can deadlift about 425 lbs and the man can deadlift 600+ lbs.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i said "he" because in this case we are not talking about a trans woman, but a male harass.

Its obvious that im only proposing this solution in places where changing the Id is easy, as it should be anywhere in the world.

Stop fighting with shadows, not everyone is trying to opress trans woman. In fact, i want to protect them as much as humanly possible.

Dude creating an insane scenario where CIS people are impersonating trans people isn't protecting them, you're just being ridiculous

jjreamPop

Oct 25, 2017
If you were born a man compete vs other men regardless of your gender identity. Why do we make this so complicated?

Hey everyone, look at this person who didn't read the article or any posts in this thread, doesn't know what they're talking about, and is posting in ignorance on gut feelings.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017

"I like that wildly popular cis person who did a nice thing for trans ppl so clearly i too am a champion of trans rights, except for this particular trans right, which is bad. "

Is this the new "I voted for Obama"?

Oct 25, 2017
i said "he" because in this case we are not talking about a trans woman, but a male harasser.

Preventing trans women whose gender marker has not been changed on their ID is harm, not protection.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
i said "he" because in this case we are not talking about a trans woman, but a male harass.

By instituting id laws lol

With protection like that we don't need oppressors, you're doing their job for them.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Can you explain why you think this? Everything in me thinks that such a ban would in fact force the conversation even more. Look at this thread. If anything, forcing the separation should push the issue of getting the research that proves the ban is ridiculous to begin with. And once thats out we fix things. I can't really see how either way would slow down the likelihood that research on this topic would be pursued.

I think this is a bad idea. We should just do the research. Its hard to believe it hasnt already been done. But theres either an advantage or there isnt. We don't need more "categories" IMO.
You need data, not a "conversation," to do research.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This thread is moving fast and generating a high number of reports. Thread is temporarily locked so moderation can catch up.

Important Policy Post

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
There is a study by Joanna Harper on transgender athletes' performance versus cisgender athletes' performance that was published in the Journal of Sporting Cultures and Identities in 2015. This was the first-ever-study of transgender athletes, according to the Washington Post. The study showed that as testosterone levels approach female norms, trans women experience a decrease in muscle mass, bone density and other physical characteristics.

Furthermore, the IOC has already set the standard for guidelines on transgender athletes:
In 2015, IOC invited Harper to attend its Consensus Meeting on Sex Reassignment and Hyperandrogenism held in Lausanne, Switzerland. After 3 days, the panel of scientists and physicians converged on revised rules for transgender competitors, including at least 1 year of hormone replacement therapy for female competitors, rather than the 2 years previously required. That change was a nod to Harper's personal transition experience and to research published in 2004 in the European Journal of Endocrinology showing that the testosterone levels—and therefore performance—of 19 transgender women stabilized after 12 months of hormone therapy. The revised IOC policy also lifted the requirement for sex reassignment surgery. That decision was a long time coming, Harper says. "What your genitals are doesn't make a difference."

You can read the full study for yourself here. (Warning: this does open a PDF document!)

You can also read the story about Joanna Harper and the research involved in Science Magazine.

There is also additional studies to collaborate the original study. As mentioned in this article in Cosmos Magazine:
...a Dutch study in the European Journal of Endocrinology, which found that within a year after gender-reassignment surgery, trans women had testosterone and haemoglobin levels no higher than their female-born compatriots. That's important because high testosterone is associated with masculine levels of muscle mass and strength, while high haemoglobin is associated with greater aerobic capacity and therefore speed.

You can read the full study for yourself here. (Warning: this does open a PDF document!)

Another study, called Sport and Transgender People: A Systematic Review of the Literature Relating to Sport Participation and Competitive Sport Policies, that was published in 2017 came to the same exact conclusion as these two others:

Currently, there is no direct or consistent research suggesting transgender female individuals (or male individuals) have an athletic advantage at any stage of their transition (e.g. cross-sex hormones, gender-confirming surgery) and, therefore, competitive sport policies that place restrictions on transgender people need to be considered and potentially revised.

You can read the full study for yourself here.

Based on the established criteria by the International Olympics Committee, their panel of expert scientists and physicians, and the study by Joanna Harper, and the collaborating studies, Resetera policy is that anyone concern posting about genetic advantages by transgender women in competitive sports or claiming transgender women have genetic advantages will be treated as transphobia and/or spreading misinformation on a sensitive issue and moderated appropriately. We have no interest in allowing ignorance to thrive in these threads, nor do we wish to place an undue burden on our transgender community to educate people in threads like these. This policy will be enforced from this post onward and in any future threads or posts on this subject.

If you have questions on this modpost or policy, please contact one of our mod captains (B-Dubs, Mist, Hecht) directly. Thanks.
Thread is now open for posting.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): transpohobia, ignoring the modpost
Sounds complicated but also fair I guess...

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Just get rid of gender divisions altogether and base lifting divisions on competitor weight and height.

That would be horrible idea as men naturally have higher portion of their body weight muscle so even with similar weights men outperform women.

Example from Rio Olympics:
Men 56kg winning result: Snatch: 137kg, Clean & Jerk: 170kg Total = 307kg
Women 58kg (so 2kg of advantage even) winning result: Snatch 110kg, Clean & Jerk: 130kg Total = 240kg

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
There's a cartoonish range of possibilities - that gets CRAZY complex internationally - including countries that range from literally executing trans people - so athletes would refuse to or be forbidden from competing there -- to (allegedly) deliberately sneaking (biological) men into past womens' competition. The IOC's existing guideline is only "fair" for one class of athlete, and tbh seems (possibly) disingenuous to me - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...tes-can-take-part-in-olympics-without-surgery and obviously doesn't solve the problem at hand.

Is there even a general agreed-upon position on this globally, from the Trans community perspective? What's the suggested solve? (As opposed to agreement on what's unacceptable)

The agreed upon position from the trans community is that trans woman are woman and this is non negotiable.

I have no idea why do you think that the IOC guidelines does not solve "the problem at hand". Also being trans and fitting the IOC guidelines is already so hard and fuck your life that if any man wants to have gender dysphoria and become a 3rd rate citizen I think they deserve to fit the category. It is not the category is woman only anyway since lots of trans men played in woman divisions before transition =P

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would be horrible idea as men naturally have higher portion of their body weight muscle so even with similar weights men outperform women.

Women 58kg (so 2kg of advantage even) winning result: Snatch 110kg, Clean & Jerku: 130kg Total = 240kg

Lifting is one of those competitions that really highlight the difference that hormones make. The fact the it is individual and a measure of raw athletic potential makes it such a great experimenting sport.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the anti- people would have a much better argument if trans-women won competitions consistently all the time.

To be knowledge, they don't, so who cares? Let them compete.

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the mod edit sources, it really does sound like the best policy for this kind of thing really should be treating individuals of each sport on a case by case basis. Shit is really complicated and even the members of these studies agree that more research needs to be done:
Within the area of sport, physical activity and transgender individuals, research is limited and mainly qualitative. More quantitative research needs to be conducted to increase the applicability and generalisability of the research findings and so that conclusions about transgender people and sport can be drawn. At a medical level, more physiological research is needed with the transgender population to accurately determine whether transgender people have an advantage in competitive sport or not. Future studies should investigate when a person can be considered physiologically as their experienced gender. This in turn should aid more inclusive (i.e. inclusion in the absence of advantage) sport policies for transgender individuals and a fair system for all.

To blanket ban all trans women frankly smells of either prejudice or simply laziness or lack of resources to be able to make case by case judgements. Or most likely a heavy mixture of all these​

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Resetera policy is that anyone concern posting about genetic advantages by transgender women in competitive sports or claiming transgender women have genetic advantages will be treated as transphobia and/or spreading misinformation on a sensitive issue and moderated appropriately. We have no interest in allowing ignorance to thrive in these threads, nor do we wish to place an undue burden on our transgender community to educate people in threads like these. This policy will be enforced from this post onward and in any future threads or posts on this subject.

Really happy with the mods decision here! Thank you for this! :D

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Women 58kg (so 2kg of advantage even) winning result: Snatch 110kg, Clean & Jerk: 130kg Total = 240kg
I'll just say I'm glad I'm not amongst the people that are in charge of the decision making in these sports. The incredible pressure to make or not make any change on rules, ban or not ban, is not something I wish I'd carry on my shoulders.

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Lets also not forget that most power lifting does not have strict testing. Considering the effects of PEDs, the difference will be bigger than olympic lifts.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people would benefit from reading this Twitter thread. It doesn't touch on this specific issue (it was sparked by transphobic and misogynistic "your breasts are fake!!"-esque commentary), but it's usefully informative either way.

So the ban is transphobic on a number of levels, including in how it privileges uninformed cis voices. "Assigned male at birth" should not be a determinative factor at all.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I feel like the anti- people would have a much better argument if trans-women won competitions consistently all the time.

To be knowledge, they don't, so who cares? Let them compete.

Exactly, even the example in the op she won a competition and set a STATE record. Like what a fucking advantage is that which you can't even set a country or worldwide record?