• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Juna

Nov 26, 2017
Yes and it's a complete disgrace. This isn't about men. Stop making it about men. Seriously the glee with some people here take the chance to equate trans woman with man is pretty disturbing.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
If there wasn't a staff post, this thread would be 30 pages long instead of 9 by now. Got everyone scared to have a discussion.
For starters, the thread is only five pages. Stop being a 50ppp heathen.
If there was no staff post, there would pages and pages of people posting shit like: "I would say this is the right decision right now." or "Makes sense." and never returning to the thread. Don't pretend like we are missing out on some brilliant discourse.
It would be like every other thread concerning the trans community. Page after page of the same ignorant argument being constantly corrected by a handful of people who have far too much patience.
But as I stated earlier, if you people disagree with the staff post they are more than welcome to post a sound argument that is backed up with facts. But no one wants to do that because they would rather complain about the staff.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there was no staff post, there would pages and pages of people posting shit like: "I would say this is the right decision right now." or "Makes sense." and never returning to the thread. Don't pretend like we are missing out on some brilliant discourse.
It would be like every other thread concerning the trans community. Page after page of the same ignorant argument being constantly corrected by a handful of people who have far too much patience.
But as I stated earlier, if you people disagree with the staff post they are more than welcome to post a sound argument that is backed up with facts. But no one wants to do that because they would rather complain about the staff.
This.

Dunk

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
" If you are supporting trans athletes going around this historical standard then it seems you would also be in support of no gender lines in sports at all. What would a sports landscape of that nature look like? "
This, to me, reads like you're saying men who have transitioned to a woman should compete in the category of men. But maybe I'm just reading that completely wrong? If I'm reading it wrong, I do apologize. Didn't have a lot of sleep last night.

That would be more prior to hormone treatment and testing.

I clarified in a later comment

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017

I do not disagree with the staff post, I just accept there is more to be discussed here. There is a deeper discussion to be had, but I'd imagine a lot of people, myself included, do not want to go further down that path due to possible misinterpretation. Not like you'll get 24 hrs to come back and explain a point that might be taken wrong.

Deleted member 52988

Account closed at user request
Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Well no, not really.

I agree that the "good decision" posts are worthless, but the warning explicitly states that any post suggesting trans women have a genetic advantage over cis women will be treated as transphobic. There's no qualifier in there about making a "sound argument".

OP
OP

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017

Here is a short video the people in this thread who believe an advantage is prevelant can watch instead of being abrasive.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please kindly elaborate on what's wrong with what I said.
I honestly see no reason why there's even gender segregation in sports.
You would be virtually eliminating all women champions and competition by doing so. Men would dominate their similarly weight/height women counterparts by a lot. Look at current world records by weight and there are vast differences between similarly weighted men and women.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_differences_in_human_physiology

Skeleton[edit]
Comparison between a male (left) and a female pelvis (right).

The female skeleton is generally less massive, smoother, and more delicate than the male;[15] its rib cage is more rounded and smaller, its lumbar curve greater, and a generally longer and smaller female waist results from the chest being more narrow at the base, and the pelvis generally not as high.

The pelvis is, in general, different between the human female and male skeleton. It differs both in overall shape and structure. The female pelvis, adapted for gestation and childbirth, is less high, but proportionately wider and more circular than in the male; its sacrum—the triangular bone at the upper posterior of the pelvic cavity, serving as base of the spine—is also wider.[15] The female pelvis is tilted anteriorly, often resulting in the more sway-backed appearance.

In the female, the acetabula, the concave surfaces to which the balls of the femurs attach via ligaments, are located farther apart, which increases the distance between the most outer points of the femurs (their greater trochanters) and thus the width of the hips; female femurs are therefore, more generally angled (laterally, further away from vertical).[15] This greater angle applies a larger portion of the gravitational/vertical load as valgus torque (rotational force against the knee). This, combined with the female's weaker tendons & ligaments and a narrower intercondylar notch, causes increased susceptibility to injury of the ACL in female athletes. [16] [17] [18]

In contrast, the pelvis of the human male appears to be slightly narrower.[19] It is believed that this makes it more optimized for walking and that an even wider female pelvis would have made walking more difficult;[20][21] yet, more recent research tends to disprove this.[22]

The following further generalizations have been made regarding male-female skeletal differences:

• Males in general have denser, stronger bones, tendons, and ligaments.[23]
  • Female skulls and head bones differ in size and shape from the male skull, with the male mandible generally wider, larger, and squarer than the female.[24] In addition, males generally have a more prominent brow, an orbital with rounded border, and more greatly projecting mastoid processes.[25]
  • Males have a more pronounced Adam's apple or thyroid cartilage (and deeper voices) due to larger vocal cords.[26]
  • In males, the second digit (index finger) tends to be shorter than the fourth digit (ring finger), while in females the second digit tends to be longer than the fourth (see digit ratio).[27]
Studies have measured male and female canine and other teeth, yielding different results as to which sex has the larger, where observed differences in size are small.[28][29] Finally, contrary to popular belief, males and females do not differ in the number of ribs; both normally have twelve pairs.[30]

Muscle mass and strength[edit]
Females in general have lower total muscle mass than males, and also having lower muscle mass in comparison to total body mass;[31] males convert more of their caloric intake into muscle and expendable circulating energy reserves, while females tend to convert more into fat deposits.[32] As a consequence, males are generally physically stronger than females. While individual muscle fibers have similar strength between male and female, males have more fibers as a result of their greater total muscle mass.[33] Males remain stronger than females, when adjusting for differences in total body mass, due to the higher male muscle-mass to body-mass ratio.[34] The greater muscle mass is reported to be due to a greater capacity for muscular hypertrophy as a result of higher levels of circulating testosterone in males.[35]

Gross measures of body strength suggest that women are approximately 50-60% as strong as men in the upper body, and 60-70% as strong in the lower body.[36] One study of muscle strength in the elbows and knees—in 45 and older males and females—found the strength of females to range from 42 to 63% of male strength.[37] Another study found men to have significantly higher hand-grip strength than women, even when comparing untrained men with female athletes.[38] Differences in width of arm, thighs and calves also increase during puberty.

Respiratory system[edit]
Males typically have larger tracheae and branching bronchi, with about 56% greater lung volume per body mass. They also have larger hearts, 10% higher red blood cell count, higher haemoglobin, hence greater oxygen-carrying capacity. In athletes, the difference in oxygen-carrying capacity between men and women is much less prominent. They also have higher circulating clotting factors (vitamin K, prothrombin and platelets). These differences lead to faster healing of wounds and higher peripheral pain tolerance.[39]

edit: God what a bummer reading through all this as a woman. I'm a fucking weakling.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017

Here is a short video the people in this thread who believe an advantage is prevelant can watch instead of being abrasive.

I get this, but how long does it take for those changes to happen?

For example, lets say I'm born a male and I've been wrestling since I was 8 years old and started lifting weights in middle school. Then, I begin my transition in my senior year of high school and have been on hormone therapy for a week. Is it ok for me to compete with the cis gender females in wrestling? Would I have any type of advantage?

There has to be a certain point, right?

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please elaborate. What sports and why would it eliminate women champions?

Almost every physical sport? Besides maybe sports revolving around dancing or aerobics? Which I'd still be skeptical of since men can perform more powerful flips/jumps. I'm really trying hard to think of a sport that would be not affected.

edit: found one :P

220px-Hannoveraner_Dressur_Goethe_3_bestes.jpg

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
I do not disagree with the staff post, I just accept there is more to be discussed here. There is a deeper discussion to be had, but I'd imagine a lot of people, myself included, do not want to go further down that path due to possible misinterpretation. Not like you'll get 24 hrs to come back and explain a point that might be taken wrong.
Come on man, there is a wealth of information on site regarding trans issues. There have been multiple threads about the bigotry the trans community faces, there's and entire Hangout folks can read.
You can use any of these resources to form whatever argument you're trying free of the ignorance and bigotry that usually gets people banned in these threads.

Well no, not really.

I agree that the "good decision" posts are worthless, but the warning explicitly states that any post suggesting trans women have a genetic advantage over cis women will be treated as transphobic. There's no qualifier in there about making a "sound argument".
And as I wrote, if you disagree, disprove but use facts and actually proof instead just writing "It's just genetics that trans women have an athletic advantage over cis women." Backup your argument with facts.
Also, as mods constantly state: "If you have an issue with moderation, feel free to PM a mod." If you are unsure if your argument will get you banned or not, have a mod review it. And I am not talking about every post, just whatever initial argument you feel should be discussed and go from there.

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Almost every physical sport? Besides maybe sports revolving around dancing or aerobics? Which I'd still be skeptical of since men can perform more powerful flips/jumps. I'm really trying hard to think of a sport that would be not affected.

Yup, equestrian sports are one where having women not compete with men is super silly. Also I think there's some equestrian sports where there's teams that consist of both men and women. The men do the lifting etc. And like I said, sharpshooting (but I think in some events men compete with women in this?).

TheAnointed

Dec 7, 2018

I disagree. I don't see why men would dominate physical sports if the sports is segregated by height and/or weight.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please elaborate. What sports and why would it eliminate women champions?

You have like 2 sports ever where women would have even ranked in an open field. And those are the ones mentioned earlier.

I disagree. I don't see why men would dominate physical sports if the sports is segregated by height and/or weight.

Because men are physically stronger pound per pound that women. More muscle and less fat. Stronger tendons and ligaments. Differences in bone angles. At the same body mass and training level, a man is like 20-30% better than a woman in every athletic measure.

Deleted member 52988

Account closed at user request
Banned
Feb 2, 2019
And as I wrote, if you disagree, disprove but use facts and actually proof instead just writing "It's just genetics that trans women have an athletic advantage over cis women." Backup your argument with facts.
And as that moderator wrote, policy is that ANY post which disagrees will be actioned as transphobic.

Unless it's updated to specify that you can disagree if you present a reasonable argument, it's no surprise that people are reticent to do so.

I'm quite ok with that being the official policy but it's not fair to pretend that people are simply incapable of making such an argument as opposed to explicitly being told by staff not to.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you even read the Wikipedia link discussing the vast strength differences between men and women, among other things? How about you look at just world class rankings in general and compare the best men of a certain weight class to their woman counterparts and see the glaring gap that shows there? Someone was posting stats from it earlier.

edit: found some from earlier in the thread

I just want to comment on this. If someone actually ever tried to go this route 99% of sports would be Men only. Dominated only by men. That's not an exaggeration and not a knock on women, just reality. I actually prefer to watch some women sports to men sports like hockey, volleyball, and ping pong, but they couldn't compete. At all.

From olympic sports I can just think of Gymnastics and synchronized swimming where women could compete in their specific events. Think about sports like soccer, basketball, volleyball, etc. No chance for women. Diana Taurasi couldn't even make the cut in the D League. Carli Lloyd couldn't make the cut in the USL III. And I really like both of those ladies' games.

If you think of major contact sports like MMA, boxing, Rugby, Olympic Wrestling, etc there's even less of a chance that women are anywhere even in the middle divisions as per your idea. Gender needs to separate in sports for obvious reason, same as weight for certain sports. The reason some girls can compete with guys in HS wrestling, for example, is because boys are not yet fully developed. A 135lb man is significantly different than a 135lb boy. And one of my favorite wrestlers ever is a female (Maroulis).

Would that be fair? Sure if you want men to dominate all sports, probably the top 10 tiers or whatever.

Even that is not really that competitive when you talk about World championships events. This is the winning and last place from the last worlds.

M - Winning: 54:31.4, 61st: 1:06:01.6
W - Winning: 59:07, 57th: 1:11:55.7
49 Men faster than the winning gold for women's. All over 1 minute faster
M - Winning: 1:51:58.5, 65th: 2:15:41.2
W - Winning: 2:00:13.7, 57th: 2:28:21.8
51 Men faster than the winning gold medal for women's
M - Winning: 5:02:46.4, 25th: 5:49:57.5
W - Winning: 5:21:58.4, 19th: 6:05:20.0
21 Men faster than the winning gold medal for women's
Or the US Women's soccer team who were beaten soundly by a U-15 or U-16 squad IIRC. His idea would get rid of an amazing olympic wrestler and multiple time world champion like Adeline Gray. She'd be going up against the likes of Jordan Burroughs, who would thoroughly dominate her without breaking a sweat. Totally unfair. Or can you imagine Max Holloway vs Amanda Nunes? Who would want to see that?

We've been talking about this. You're pretty much excluding women from any and all competition. Here's a couple of other examples.

2016 Olympic games track and field 100 meter
Women's gold medal - 10.71
Men who ran as fast or slower than that after the preliminary round - 4 (That is, after the preliminary round every single man except 4, ran faster than the gold medal winner. 65 Men ran faster than the women's gold medal winner.)

2017 Fina World Championships
The unbeatable Katie Ledecky. Really she's amazing. The Michael Phelps of Women's swimming. No one can touch her in the 800 and 1500M.

800M
Ledecky - 8:12.68
M - 27 men swam faster than Ledecky's gold winning time. 23 men swam faster than her WR time that was set at a previous event.
1500M
Ledecky - 15:31.82
M - 32 men swam faster than Ledecky's gold winning time. 27 men swam faster than her WR time that was set at a previous event.

I honestly can't believe you guys are as naive as suggesting this unless you just want men competing and women to not have a platform to compete in at a high level.
You underestimate how much the difference is in professional sports.

The fastest woman in 2018 in the 100m run isn't even in the Top1043 of men for example. (which are all recorded male runs in the last year: https://www.iaaf.org/records/all-ti...=false&firstDay=2018-01-01&lastDay=2018-12-31)

The slowest male swimmers are still seconds ahead of even the fastest woman. https://www.olympic.org/rio-2016/swimming/100m-freestyle-men https://www.olympic.org/rio-2016/swimming/100m-freestyle-women

That would be horrible idea as men naturally have higher portion of their body weight muscle so even with similar weights men outperform women.

Example from Rio Olympics:
Men 56kg winning result: Snatch: 137kg, Clean & Jerk: 170kg Total = 307kg
Women 58kg (so 2kg of advantage even) winning result: Snatch 110kg, Clean & Jerk: 130kg Total = 240kg

Last edited:

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The fastest 100m woman runner, Florence Griffith-Joyner is 1,7m tall and a man, who is the top 14th of all time Mike Rodgers is also 1,7m tall is almost a 1 second faster than the fastest woman. There's more to being competetive than height or weight. To put that into perspective, the fastest woman would be about 10 metres behind the 14th fastest man who is the same height.

Deleted member 20850

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I get this, but how long does it take for those changes to happen?

For example, lets say I'm born a male and I've been wrestling since I was 8 years old and started lifting weights in middle school. Then, I begin my transition in my senior year of high school and have been on hormone therapy for a week. Is it ok for me to compete with the cis gender females in wrestling? Would I have any type of advantage?

There has to be a certain point, right?

2 years on HRT as far as I am aware.
This info is all in here too. And every trans sport thread has it.

I think in order to have this discussion you crave you need to be aware about such things before you construct arguments like in your post.

EDIT what I mean is your example is pretty much fear mongering and that helps no one.

TheAnointed

Dec 7, 2018
The fastest 100m woman runner, Florence Griffith-Joyner is 1,7m tall and a man, who is the top 14th of all time Mike Rodgers is also 1,7m tall is almost a 1 second faster than the fastest woman. There's more to being competetive than height or weight. To put that into perspective, the fastest woman would be about 10 metres behind the 14th fastest man who is the same height.
They might have been the same height but I doubt they were the same weight.

It's either the Olympics segregate all sports or segregate none. Selectively choosing seems discriminatory to me and it's good to be consistent. Also what about the people who don't identify as either man nor woman, they're pretty much forced to identify as man /woman in order to compete, which I think it's unfair and not inclusive. By banning gender segregation, everyone can compete. Makes it more interesting in my opinion.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
2 years on HRT as far as I am aware.
This info is all in here too. And every trans sport thread has it.

I think in order to have this discussion you crave you need to be aware about such things before you construct arguments like in your post.

Well, I think we're on a forum where the best moments happen when one learns. If I was to know everything why would I even bother posting here? I'm here to read posts from people who are more knowledgeable and help me progress. If I've missed a post answering my question, then tie me to a cross and burn me in hell? I don't get your point.

If it takes 2 years on hormone therapy then I think that's the answer to this situation.

EDIT; How does me asking how long it takes for hormone therapy to change a body fear mongering? This is exactly why I was hesitant to enter this discussion.

Last edited:

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
Whether there is a history of it or not doesn't really change the issue. In a weight lifting contest, someone who is genetically/physically a man is going to have a massive advantage over a woman.
Should we ban genetically gifted men to compete with other average men to give them a chance to win too?

Weight class is more important than sex in this regard.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's either the Olympics segregate all sports or segregate none. Selectively choosing seems discriminatory to me and it's good to be consistent. Also what about the people who don't identify as either man nor woman, they're pretty much forced to identify as man /woman in order to compete, which I think it's unfair and not inclusive. By banning gender segregation, everyone can compete. Makes it more interesting in my opinion.

By banning gender segregation you eliminate women from being able to compete for top spots almost entirely... might as well just defund all women's high school sports and tell all those little girls that look up to Serena Williams that she actually sucks because she would lose easily to any random top 200+ ranked male in tennis. This is the world you would create. Virtually devoid of any woman sport role models entirely. No thank you.

Should we ban genetically gifted men to compete with other average men to give them a chance to win too?

Weight class is more important than sex in this regard.

Weight class is not more important, look at the comparison of woman and male lifters at the same weights. My goodness. It's a huge difference.

Feels like I'm taking crazy pills in this thread with some of ya'll.

Last edited:

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
User Banned (1 month): Transphobia, Ignoring Modpost
How can one conclusively dismiss the physiology debate when trans women athletes are breaking records left and right, all over the world?

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Marion Jones, who is 178cm tall and weight about 68-70kg ran the 100m sprint in 10,65 seconds. Nesta Carter who is 178cm and 69-70kg ran the 100m sprint in 9,78.

Deleted member 20850

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, I think we're on a forum where the best moments happen when one learns. If I was to know everything why would I even bother posting here? I'm here to read posts from people who are more knowledgeable and help me progress. If I've missed a post answering my question, then tie me to a cross and burn me in hell? I don't get your point.

If it takes 2 years on hormone therapy then I think that's the answer to this situation.

Your question was very valid. But that example just frames trans people as completely unreasonable.

I was also under the impression you read most of he thread since you argued the discussion suffered from the mod decision.

But I might have been needlessly hostile so I apologize for that.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Your question was very valid. But that example just frames trans people as completely unreasonable.

I was also under the impression you read most of he thread since you argued the discussion suffered from the mod decision.

But I might have been needlessly hostile so I apologize for that.

Thank you for that. I was trying to give an example to figure out exactly how long it does take ones body to change from hormone therapy. If my example came across poorly I do apologize as well.

TheAnointed

Dec 7, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Concern trolling over a series of posts, disingenuous commentary, account still in junior phase
By banning gender segregation you eliminate women from being able to compete for top spots almost entirely... might as well just defund all women's high school sports and tell all those little girls that look up to Serena Williams that she actually sucks because she would lose easily to any random top 200+ ranked male in tennis. This is the world you would create. Virtually devoid of any woman sport role models entirely. No thank you.
I disgree. I think by segregating by height/weight/mass, all genders ( cis men, cis women, trans and non-binary) will fairly compete and more so it's inclusive.
I also think by saying men are better than women in sports, you're in a way supporting transphobic people because that's the same logic they use.

TheAnointed

Dec 7, 2018
Marion Jones, who is 178cm tall and weight about 68-70kg ran the 100m sprint in 10,65 seconds. Nesta Carter who is 178cm and 69-70kg ran the 100m sprint in 9,78.
Fair enough but that could just mean that Nesta is a better athlete than Marion, and not that men are better than women. I'm pretty sure there are examples where a woman with the same attributes is faster than a man with similar attributes.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disgree. I think by segregating by height/weight/mass, all genders ( cis men, cis women, trans and non-binary) will fairly compete and more so it's inclusive.
I also think by saying men are better than women in sports, you're in a way supporting transphobic people because that's the same logic they use.
Are you just not reading the facts being presented to you in this thread? Science and fact. These are not made up numbers being posted here showing you the comparison of women and men in sports (even at the same weight). And omg the last part of your post.... I can't anymore.
tenor.gif

The only one being regressive here is you by refusing to read what's being given to you. You want to turn back the clock on women's hard fought places in sports and in society as role models for little girls.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
This is not a matter up for debate. The results between men and women competing in the same sport speak for themselves. There's nothing to "disagree" to here unless you're just ignoring the data.

And no, this is not coming from a place of transphobia. For one thing, trans women are women, not men. If their hormonal levels are similar enough to that of cis women then the gap between them narrows significantly. The issue with all of this is what exactly determines the parameters to make it fair for all women competing, which we need more data for (which won't happen if trans women are banned from competing in the first place).

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough but that could just mean that Nesta is a better athlete than Marion, and not that men are better than women. I'm pretty sure there are examples where a woman with the same attributes is faster than a man with similar attributes.
While it might be that Nesta was just purely better, but there are other woman runners who fit the description I described. Christine Arron is also about the same height and weight as Nesta and she ran 100m slower than Marion. I just can't understand how you can argue against the fact that there are physiological differences between men and women.

But that doesn't change the fact that I also think that there would probably be women athletes who would be quite comparable to male athletes if we poured resources and encouraged women to pursue athletic professions as much as we did men. I can't say there isn't an woman Usain Bolt out there who just doesn't run because she's not encouraged to do so. But with the facts at hand it seems men perform better at sports that are physical.

Jul 18, 2018
What valid reason is there to justify gender segregation in any sports? I'm genuinely asking.
American Football? Just imagine a 5 foot 11 inch , 190 lb RB Saquon Barkley in high school colliding with defensive line Berlin Montepeque who is 5 foot 6 inch at 150 lbs. Don't think she would stand a chance in hell in blocking him.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
That's not.... are you trolling?