• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like we are going to skip right over a recession, or at least attempt to speed run it, and take a headfirst dive into the deep end that is a depression. These numbers are staggering and worse, will only grow larger over the next few weeks. Feels like if this keeps up for even a few months we could have some serious civil unrest.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Trump can't stop winning. Mastermind of closing the deal. What a stable genius, everyone is in awe of his perfection and heavily elementary diction of self congratulatory wet farts.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
It would be 50m+ without Trump
(Half expecting this to be the new Republican narrative)

Oct 25, 2017
Does the concept of "short-time working" exist in the US? That is what large parts of Europe are doing right now, where the government job agencies are basically paying a percentage of wages for a while without people losing their job.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
So how many unemployed is this total I wonder? Double that in actuality?

Dec 6, 2017
US
Luckily our Master Of The Deal has it all under control. Just like he said the virus was nothing but a flu and brushed it off, I'm confident this will be nothing either.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to watch the Market spike after this news, just like with unemployment numbers last week.

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This topped the highest estimate, which was about 6M. Uncharted waters. This may not be a V-shaped recovery after all.

Last edited:

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Does the concept of "short-time working" exist in the US? That is what large parts of Europe are doing right now, where the government job agencies are basically paying a percentage of wages for a while without people losing their job.
The concept of "helping other human beings" doesn't exist in the US institutionality

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Rushing headlong into a Depression. Thanks Trump.

This is the type of dumbass talk that makes that idiot want to rush this and get everyone back to work. Everything has to stay shut and restrictions need to stay in place. Joblessness will be a natural side effect.

Now what Trump and Co can do is thier best to take care of the people out of work but as far as being able to better employment during this time that is impossible.

navanman

Oct 27, 2017
Dublin
The fact that there is no coordinated federal strategy, leaving each state to fight this as best they can, means there will be a bigger economic fall and time before people can safely return to work.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, it's starting to hit the white-collar jobs--not just restaurant and foodservice workers. So many ppl getting laid off. If you have a secure job, be thankful.

Moreover, imagine looking for another job in this climate? Tons of competition and fewer openings.

I'm pretty sure I'll be laid off soon. It's in the tea leaves as they say.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of those! I think anyway. Filed this week but for last week since I didn't work then. Out a job and the business is likely done for good.
Well then it's good they upped unemployment insurance by $600 per week for four months.

Possibly not enough also, but they didn't just give $1200

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Chances are it's even higher and they couldn't process everyone with these huge numbers

less

Oct 25, 2017
A truly horrifying number to see. The impact is going to be felt for a long time to come.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It hit all the western countries at the same time. No one was prepared. Only South Korea is a success. Everyone else is getting fucked.
And yet the US is about to be turbofucked beyond the scope of what other countries will have to go through, thanks to Trump's incompetence.

Seriously dude, nobody wants to hear something even approaching an excuse for Trump's ....just everything.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
This also affects people with jobs, as it makes them far less safe...

There is literally millions now waiting to take your job

Mar 29, 2018
It hit all the western countries at the same time. No one was prepared. Only South Korea is a success. Everyone else is getting fucked.
Not true at all. Italy and Switzerland were there in advance by weeks. I'm in the UK and we failed to react to a 2-week difference with Italy, which was bad and is causing big issues. The various parts of the US are another 2-5 of weeks behind us/France depending on location and density.

It absolutely did not "hit all the western countries at the same time". But yes, absolutely everyone is going to be adversely impacted and unemployment etc is always going to get rammed.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's what the 600 a week unemployment is for

the 1200 is a stimulus

The government seems to be trying their hardest to make sure as few people get that $1200 stimulus as possible. That and $600 a week is still nothing, especially if any kind of complications arise and you lack insurance. Its a bare minimum amount for most people to just live.

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, no one could react to this. It's not only the US that are seeing record high loss in employment.
Trump could have severely blunted this and the ensuing panic had he reacted immediately and not disbarred Obama's pandemic response unit and underfunded the CDC. The US lowered all of its barriers and took a direct from Corona when it didn't have to. We knew it was always going to be bad, but it could have quantifiably been less bad.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Absolute horseshit.

I'm in Vietnam and have been here for a month and they have less than 300 cases. They share a land border with China and are by no means a wealthy country and they were able to prepare for it. Even now, with a nationwide lockdown, people are prepared to be in lockdown for longer to stop this thing.

The most recent burst of cases came from British tourists so they literally stopped all incoming flights and shut their borders as much as possible. Every foreigner still in the country who came after March 1st had to verify all their flights and enter into mandatory quarantine on an army base if they were infected or at risk. Same for any Vietnamese national who came in during that time period. After that, they locked down the cities, then the whole country.

If Vietnam can do it, there is no reason that my home country of the US or any other Western nation shouldn't have been able to as well. They just simply weren't willing to take the necessary steps early because they cared more about the economy than the lives of people.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
And yet the US is about to be turbofucked beyond the scope of what other countries will have to go through, thanks to Trump's incompetence.

Seriously dude, nobody wants to hear excuses for Trump.
Trump politicized it. His surrogates and media friends followed the leader. And idiotic governors like Kemp and DeSantis made it worse.

Trump is a national cancer that needs to be excised.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These are just new claims? Wow.
What is the total number of unemployed right now?