• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I also didn't really find it as interesting as Get Out. I felt like that was inspired by Being Malchovich, which is one of my favorite movies. It was psychological, trippy, and imaginative.

This was a more straightforward horror film. The over-explanation by the double at the middle of the film was unnecessary. She honestly didn't have to say anything.

I did like that the doubles had a plan, but I guess I just wanted to figure out why the original surface dweller just didn't get out? Is the tethering strong enough to keep her down there even if she was originally from the surface? I think that was honestly the only question I had. Everything else seemed pretty clear.

Overall, I think that it felt like an M. Night Shyamalan movie mixed with an X-Files episode.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
For what it's worth, I think the people who are saying Pluto and Jason switched places at sometime are completely missing the point. For the record I don't think they did, but in any event, both children are the product of a tethered and a human being but they, through their character progression, are able to find strength in both elements of their personality and blood. Almost like when you get some money, you still don't forget where you came from.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Carrying on from my last bit of analysis, I'd like to point out that the thing that gives the Tethered the push needed for them to find agency is a shared culture that Red introduced to them. Sure, it's made up of drips and drabs of half-remebered pop culture, but it's theirs. Not something they're pantomiming from the people above, but something that came from thwir own. That's theirs. Their own contribution to the soul they share with their overworld duplicate.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Okay that ending to Us fucked me up. I was trying to think back to see if the twist was if the twist was foreshadowed well only for the realization to smack me in the face that
Lupita's other was the only one ever shown talking. Of course there was something off with her's compared to the others.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is the general consensus that all the shadows were clones or just the parents? I mean it would kind of make sense if the adults were abducted at some point when they were children and DNA samples taken at pediatric appointments or something in the 80's but then the clones naturally reproduced. I wasn't sure if they were literally mirroring the surface dwellers in real time under ground or if that montage with ballet was just meant to be symbolic to demonstrate their humanity devolving into madness.

Nov 2, 2017
I enjoyed the movie overall, but it was hurt by giving the duplicates a literal/concrete explanation. Because then it just raises questions that break the logic

If it had been kept vague: are they demons? Mirror dimension? Spirits? I don't know, but it makes some of the stuff more easily believable.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
This movie was fucking dreadful.

Awfully stupid and silly tone all throughout. This movie couldn't take itself seriously for more than 30 seconds. There were brief moments I liked but they kept on ruining it with the in your face quippy tone of it all.

How did he go from Get Out to this? I initially really liked Get Out but nowadays I think it's pretty overrated. Still a hell of a lot better than Us though, I can tell you that much.

Thumbs down.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
First of all, it took 2 attempts to see this. Tried on Thursday, and it played up until around the part at the vacation house where Adelaide asks Zora where Jason is and goes looking for him...then the projector craps out and the staff apologizes, and offers a rain check. So I went back yesterday and got to see it in full.

I liked it, and I'm liking it more as I'm reading discussions about it. It definitely has some execution issues, but the themes and cast performances kept me invested.

I'm glad I went in pretty much blind, because I never saw the trailer, never saw young "Red" choking young 'Adelaide", so I was never waiting for that other show to drop everytime they flashed back to the funhouse mirror scene. There's always an inherent possibility of a switch with doppelganger stories, but I felt the Adelaide we followed for most of the movie was most likely the original, up until the reveal. The PTSD angle seems very plausible, young kids often shut down and withdraw after trauma...or just the fact that maybe she felt who would believe her that she encountered an exact clone of herself..."stop making up stories, tell us what really happened"

I do like how that confirmation recontextualizes everything Addy said and did, her dread of returning to the beach, her protectiveness over her children, even minor stuff has a different flavor.

As an early 80s kid, I loved the Goonies reference Red made when telling Addy that it's now their time, up there....and like someone else mentioned, the repeated use of I got 5 on it and Pas de deux for me just evoked Club Noveau's Why You Treat Me So Bad...and the album it's from came out in 1986, so that's cool.

I'll admit some of the logistical questions regarding the tethered did niggle in the back of my mind as they were being explained...however, regarding why didn't original Addy just leave, I thought there were special circumstances that allowed "Red" to leave in the first place...the opening sequence of the TV talks about a Storm, and we see it approaching the beach when Addy is being compelled to the funhouse...if it caused a power outtage and stopped the downward-only escalator, then "Red" could go up, but later Addy couldn't

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Thought it was an interesting premise. Like Get Out, you just had to wait for the inevitable exposition to find out what was going on, something I'm glad Peele does (as opposed to so many other filmmakers that just leave everything unanswered). Sure, he doesn't explain everything, but he gives the audience more than enough to go on.

I think he might have spent a bit too much time on Adelaide's childhood and what happened after the incident, more than enough to plant the idea of the "switch" into the audience's mind, even before we know what's going on with the Tethered. Even though he did a lot to dissuade the idea as the film progressed, it wasn't a surprise at the end to find out the truth.

Regarding the Tethered, I wonder what happens do them after the original is killed. They talk about one soul split into two bodies, but the original (topside) seems to be the "source". Do the tethered simply gain free will and are no longer bound to mimic their counterparts?

The tethering itself is an interesting concept, because it explains Addy's sense of dread leading up to the attack... the link to the real Adelaide is giving her an inkling of Red's intentions.

Anyway, I really liked it. Horror movies aren't generally my cup of tea, so it might be a while before I see it again, but it'll be interesting to see this one again knowing what's going on (just like Get Out).

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Loved this movie. Loved that Peele didn't bother truly answering a lot of the mysterious stuff or stuff that seemingly makes no sense. I love people having conflicting opinions. On one hand I've heard people say too much explanation and then I hear those same people saying "________ makes no sense" when I think it only makes no sense because Peele chose not to explain it further and just left it as is. We're viewing a snapshot of a bigger event with lots of pieces clearly.

Anyway, really enjoyable. If a sequel is ever made....that will be tough. Hard to pull off a quality one I imagine so if Peele can accomplish it it would be quite a feat.

I feel like I watched a different movie than others too. What explanation was given for the clones? All of it seemed like pure speculation by victims trying to rationalize it.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved this movie. Loved that Peele didn't bother truly answering a lot of the mysterious stuff or stuff that seemingly makes no sense. I love people having conflicting opinions. On one hand I've heard people say too much explanation and then I hear those same people saying "________ makes no sense" when I think it only makes no sense because Peele chose not to explain it further and just left it as is. We're viewing a snapshot of a bigger event with lots of pieces clearly.

Anyway, really enjoyable. If a sequel is ever made....that will be tough. Hard to pull off a quality one I imagine so if Peele can accomplish it it would be quite a feat.

I feel like I watched a different movie than others too. What explanation was given for the clones? All of it seemed like pure speculation by victims trying to rationalize it.
I think he's been explaining all of that stuff in more detail in interviews.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
There must have been something down there for Adelaide to find. She was too young when she went down there to be able to deduce all that on her own, and no one else down there would have been capable of thinking up much of anything.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Am I the only one who thought it was "obvious" that right at the end of the film Adelaide became aware that she was the "clone"? It seemed like a revelation that came to her through flashbacks given the trauma of the event? I didn't get the feeling Adelaide was aware of her past at all until then.

My read was when they girls switched they became less aware of their individual pasts through their new circumstances. Adelaide being tethered had some sense of experience of her other before the switch, and possibly even the child therapy would have talked her out of the "delusion" of being trapped underground. Similarly, the trauma of Red, entrapment, and whatever mechanism is driving the tethering may have condemned her to being (or at least feeling) trapped, and 20+ years of not talking to anyone plus the confinement drove her mad.

In any case, really enjoyed it. Too many highlights, so the lowlights for me were the initial text intro and the overly long exposition by Red at the blackboard. Both felt unnecessarily heavy handed.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about it, the more disappointed I am. GET OUT was amazing and I feel this was a step back. Hopefully The Twilight Zone is good.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand how people can be disappointed with this film. Say what you want about the story, but the script, imagery, execution, music, performances, and attention to detail is fucking MINDBLOWING. Every...single.. frame in this film is packed with foreshadowing and references. The main "twist" in the film of Adele being a tethered was obvious... but the subtle imagery that also points to her son being a tethered feels like a secondary twist put in by Peele himself for people who like to deep dive into these things. Like Get Out, the twist in this film completely re-contextualizes everything during a second viewing. I feel like I'm watching Hot Fuzz or Back to the Future levels of mastery here.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
What's there pointing at the son being a tethered?

Here we go.. long list.

Jason "forgot" how to do his magic trick, much like how Adele "forgot" how to dance when she was a child. She didn't forget, she was replaced and didn't know how.

Jason mispronounced the word "Ass" for "anus" and doesn't talk a lot during the film. He's also revealed to be "quiet" like Adele was when she was switched. Showing he still doesn't completely understand English. He also likes dark places and being alone.

In the Beach scene, the twins comment on how Jason is "building tunnels" instead of sand castles. It's a reference to the tunnels underground, the only structures he would know if he was a tethered.

During the dinner scene in the white people's house, Jason is eating Fruit Loops one at a time. Just like the girl in Get Out, who was pretending to be someone else during the whole film.

Jason wear's a Jaws shirt, showing a Monster "the shark" hidden underneath a normal person swimming up top.

Both Adele and Jason have no sense of beat or rythem, as shown in the "I've got 5 on it" scene. Adele doesn't snap to the beat correctly, and Jason can't snap his fingers at all. When the other Jason gets caught in the flames, he can snap his fingers to a beat.

Adele and Jason hold hands a lot during the course film, showing the subconsciousness of them doing the hands across America, just like the Tethered.

In the end, when Adele smiles to Jason and we learn she was a Tethered, that scene is a reference to Michael Jacksons "Thriller" where it's revealed he was a werewolf the whole time with an evil smirk. Jason then puts on a werewolf mask, he's also a werewolf.

Also in the end, Jason has a rabbit with him... it's shown that the tethered really like Rabbits.

The 11:11 imagery.. Two Tethered (Mon, Son) : Two Untethered (Dad, Daughter).

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
This is the stupidest POS movie I have ever spent money on at the cinema. Man, Get Out got to Jordan'a head. What a tonally inconsistent mess. What a dumb premise. I hate movie critics for unanimously vetting this. Yet again why I should never listen to RT for scary movies.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who knows... but that's not enough to disqualify the theory.

Hell even his name.. Pluto.. A Planet that's been reclassified and even scientists can't agree on it's true identity, can be seen as a reference.
Then why didn't he know about the truck in the door to keep the closet open? How did he know where to find the magic trick. Why did he have no reaction to the "find yourself" attraction?

I think he's just weird because he's half Clone.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the stupidest POS movie I have ever spent money on at the cinema. Man, Get Out got to Jordan'a head. What a tonally inconsistent mess. What a dumb premise. I hate movie critics for unanimously vetting this. Yet again why I should never listen to RT for scary movies.
Ooof i wouldn't go that far but yeah it was pretty stupid. Long ass exposition near the back half for NO REASON and then the blinking recreation of the carnival except underground was just plain dumb. It doesn't explain wtf they were stabbing people if they're just mirror images. PLUS the stakes of the hands across the world thing was nonexistent. Why?? I was glad I went with a raucously loud crowd cause I would've been bored as shit and legit upset by the end of it.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ooof i wouldn't go that far but yeah it was pretty stupid. Long ass exposition near the back half for NO REASON and then the blinking recreation of the carnival except underground was just plain dumb. It doesn't explain wtf they were stabbing people if they're just mirror images. PLUS the stakes of the hands across the world thing was nonexistent. Why?? I was glad I went with a raucously loud crowd cause I would've been bored as shit and legit upset by the end of it.
It felt like the happening with good acting

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who knows... but that's not enough to disqualify the theory.

Hell even his name.. Pluto.. A Planet that's been reclassified and even scientists can't agree on it's true identity, can be seen as a reference.
ah yes, definitely the reference I think of when I think of the words "Pluto" and "dog."

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
So the trailer gave away the twist at the end but other than that it was a good movie.

Oct 27, 2017
We just saw this tonight. You know, it's kinda like the more I think about it the dumber it gets. So Adelaide (Real) gets dragged down there. Okay, I get it. The clone wants into our world. And the clones killed all the guards/staff? Did I understand that right?

And Adelaide (Real) becomes like a leader figure to them. Before that, at some point, I guess she slowly goes crazy. Here's my question; up until the point she went crazy why didn't she just leave?

"Ah," you say, "The guards/staff would have stopped her!" Okay, fine. But if she could talk, act, and reason like a normie and could explain wtf happened wouldn't someone be like "Oh shit!" and either kill her to cover it up or track down the clone?

And if the guards/staff were dead already? Somehow she got out of that handcuff, so what's stopping her from getting the fuck out of Dodge?
I know I'm overanalyzing all this, but I really would have preferred if they stuck to a supernatural mirror-reality explanation but honestly, just kind of vaguely gave slight ideas of what happened. I think the problem here is that they were too transparent.

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Here we go.. long list.

Jason "forgot" how to do his magic trick, much like how Adele "forgot" how to dance when she was a child. She didn't forget, she was replaced and didn't know how.

Jason mispronounced the word "Ass" for "anus" and doesn't talk a lot during the film. He's also revealed to be "quiet" like Adele was when she was switched. Showing he still doesn't completely understand English. He also likes dark places and being alone.

In the Beach scene, the twins comment on how Jason is "building tunnels" instead of sand castles. It's a reference to the tunnels underground, the only structures he would know if he was a tethered.

During the dinner scene in the white people's house, Jason is eating Fruit Loops one at a time. Just like the girl in Get Out, who was pretending to be someone else during the whole film.

Jason wear's a Jaws shirt, showing a Monster "the shark" hidden underneath a normal person swimming up top.

Both Adele and Jason have no sense of beat or rythem, as shown in the "I've got 5 on it" scene. Adele doesn't snap to the beat correctly, and Jason can't snap his fingers at all. When the other Jason gets caught in the flames, he can snap his fingers to a beat.

Adele and Jason hold hands a lot during the course film, showing the subconsciousness of them doing the hands across America, just like the Tethered.

In the end, when Adele smiles to Jason and we learn she was a Tethered, that scene is a reference to Michael Jacksons "Thriller" where it's revealed he was a werewolf the whole time with an evil smirk. Jason then puts on a werewolf mask, he's also a werewolf.

Also in the end, Jason has a rabbit with him... it's shown that the tethered really like Rabbits.

The 11:11 imagery.. Two Tethered (Mon, Son) : Two Untethered (Dad, Daughter).
I really think this whole "Jason got switched" theory is a massive stretch.
For starters, the first thing listed here is just straight up incorrect. Adelaide didn't forget how to dance, the therapist suggested they encourage her to dance and draw after she was switched. A lot of the other stuff just seems like general foreshadowing/symbolism that just happens to involve Jason in some way.
The main reason I doubt the theory, though, is that it just doesn't really add anything to the movie. The Adelaide/Red switch is important thematically because it shows that, given different circumstances, there is no real difference between the tethered and the "originals". Jason being switched doesn't have any thematic value and seems like a fun theory people just made up because people really just... like coming up with twists and theories, even if there's nothing really supporting them.
That's not even mentioning that after Adelaide switched, she had to essentially learn to speak and act like a normal human from scratch, that's not the case with Jason, unless he was like, switched as a baby or something, which I don't think is really what the theory is claiming.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Then why didn't he know about the truck in the door to keep the closet open? How did he know where to find the magic trick. Why did he have no reaction to the "find yourself" attraction?

I think he's just weird because he's half Clone.
Yeah you make the best points. But also I have no idea why people believe or even like this theory. He's just some crazy awkward hybrid.

Last edited:

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
you know what? initially the plot holes buggged me, but then I realized, the movie is supposed to at times
or at least when it comes to the explanation, the person narrating (red) what happened, is only guessing and is mentally compromised

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
you know what? initially the plot holes buggged me, but then I realized, the movie is supposed to at times
or at least when it comes to the explanation, the person narrating (red) what happened, is only guessing and is mentally compromised

explanation in the tweets :

1. Ultimately, Red is speculating. She only knows what she's been able to piece together, largely as a child, in an environment where no one speaks. This is just her vague theory, kinda like Zora's fluoride comments.

2. her explanation of the background feels a little spotty, but it's because she herself doesn't really know. What she CAN explain is her plot: acquire jumpsuits. Murder. Hold hands. Take over world. And her plot doesn't make much sense either.

3. Red's "plan" is weird because, again, arrested development. She's trying to recreate something she saw on TV, because reasons. She's sort of childish and she also went a little nuts underground. So I think some of the ambiguity and weird gaps in Red's explanation make sense.

also Jordan peele RT'd the thread , so it might be a co-sign that alot of theories are correct

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
I really think this whole "Jason got switched" theory is a massive stretch.
For starters, the first thing listed here is just straight up incorrect. Adelaide didn't forget how to dance, the therapist suggested they encourage her to dance and draw after she was switched. A lot of the other stuff just seems like general foreshadowing/symbolism that just happens to involve Jason in some way.
The main reason I doubt the theory, though, is that it just doesn't really add anything to the movie. The Adelaide/Red switch is important thematically because it shows that, given different circumstances, there is no real difference between the tethered and the "originals". Jason being switched doesn't have any thematic value and seems like a fun theory people just made up because people really just... like coming up with twists and theories, even if there's nothing really supporting them.
That's not even mentioning that after Adelaide switched, she had to essentially learn to speak and act like a normal human from scratch, that's not the case with Jason, unless he was like, switched as a baby or something, which I don't think is really what the theory is claiming.

It's definitely a stretch... but this is Jordan fucking Peele we're talking about. The guy meticulously plans every single element of his films to convey a specific message. Get Out is also filled with tons of imagery and easter eggs he himself has confirmed. So I wouldn't put it past him to purposely leave breadcrumbs for the viewers to pick apart and analyze.

ah yes, definitely the reference I think of when I think of the words "Pluto" and "dog."

If you're so narrow-minded you can only associate a word with one meaning, than I can't help you bro. Maybe analysis isn't your forte.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I love get out. Watch it million time.

This one came out to be utterly disappointed mainly becsuase of stupid plot. I mean the idea of their clone taking over the world by each one know exactly where their main copy live and go kill them then ended up holding hand making the wall? WTF is that? I appreciate weirdness in Pele movie with all black cast and acting. Get out has a good explaination and plot that "make sense". This movie make no bloody sense in any way. It is just so unrealistic and unlogical to the point that I can't take anything serious at all.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
We just saw this tonight. You know, it's kinda like the more I think about it the dumber it gets. So Adelaide (Real) gets dragged down there. Okay, I get it. The clone wants into our world. And the clones killed all the guards/staff? Did I understand that right?

And Adelaide (Real) becomes like a leader figure to them. Before that, at some point, I guess she slowly goes crazy. Here's my question; up until the point she went crazy why didn't she just leave?

"Ah," you say, "The guards/staff would have stopped her!" Okay, fine. But if she could talk, act, and reason like a normie and could explain wtf happened wouldn't someone be like "Oh shit!" and either kill her to cover it up or track down the clone?

And if the guards/staff were dead already? Somehow she got out of that handcuff, so what's stopping her from getting the fuck out of Dodge?
I know I'm overanalyzing all this, but I really would have preferred if they stuck to a supernatural mirror-reality explanation but honestly, just kind of vaguely gave slight ideas of what happened. I think the problem here is that they were too transparent.
She was like 6 years old. She was unconscious when she went down there, she had no idea how to leave. She was thrust into a horrible nightmare of freakish people doing things for no reason and grunting and eating raw meat. She had been injured to the point she could barely speak. Think of how traumatic that would be for a child. Being unable to understand anything that was happening causing her to mentally break. If anything, the dance at 14 wasn't her going crazy but kind of the opposite, regaining her semblance of self and autonomy.

Deleted member 25140

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just got back from watching the film

I hated it

I had such high expectations going in, the opening was amazing and I really thought I was in for a treat but the comedy just ruined it for me, I wish they'd just played it straight the entire time

the family talking about their kill counts like it's nothing and the cartwheeling clone girls... so cringey

I get that there's a deeper meaning to the film and so many metaphors representing beyond what you see but it was just lost on the silliness for me tbh

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I love get out. Watch it million time.

This one came out to be utterly disappointed mainly becsuase of stupid plot. I mean the idea of their clone taking over the world by each one know exactly where their main copy live and go kill them then ended up holding hand making the wall? WTF is that? I appreciate weirdness in Pele movie with all black cast and acting. Get out has a good explaination and plot that "make sense". This movie make no bloody sense in any way. It is just so unrealistic and unlogical to the point that I can't take anything serious at all.

It's a movie which I was ok with doing that because the story and the acting was so high level and intoxicating, just don't think too hard and let it do it's thing. It's like the 80's movies where the police and the army don't appear because the threat would be over in ten minutes.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Adelaide didn't forget how to dance. She only started dancing after the switch because the therapist suggested it as an outlet. Red literally tells her if it hadn't been for her she would have never started dancing.

The tethered do not 'really like rabbits', the underpass is full of rabbits and the only interaction we're told of them having is eating them.

Deleted member 11046

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Two thumbs down.

I've never before seen a film with such masterful performances by its lead(s) that still managed to be absolutely awful. Lupita and the children did such an amazing job that I'm upset their acting was wasted on such a flimsy, weak script.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Huge disappointment for me.
Good performances by the cast (except when they were playing the Tethered IMO) , decent direction, but as other people mentioned here the plot made no sense and I couldn't see any "social satire" or whatever was mentioned in some reviews. Get Out was no masterpiece but it was much better than this.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this movie needed way more exposition. Usually having a lot of things explained is bad, for example in Get out we don't need to know the specifics of how the brain stuff worked, but here I feel the clones thing was too loosely explained to be believable and it hurts the plot. It comes as comical how they "take over the world" and the chain thing is stupid, even if there's some foreshadowing with the first scene of the movie. Also the plot twist can be seen from a mile but it's actually not a bad thing because it's exactly what gives coherence to the movie.

It's a good movie with outstanding performances but it's not a classic like Get out.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The tethered thing just didn't work for me. Putting aside the fantastical element of the idea in the first place, why did they used to emulate the real people above but could now be solely independent and act on their own free will. It's just weird how at one point they were pretending to ride rollercoasters on the spot, but could then go on a stabbing spree.

Like others have said, I think them trying to explain the whole thing without going into detail hurt more than it helped. It either needed to be simply mysterious super natural-ness or explained more fully to avoid a break in the suspension of disbelief.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
The tethered thing just didn't work for me. Putting aside the fantastical element of the idea in the first place, why did they used to emulate the real people above but could now be solely independent and act on their own free will. It's just weird how at one point they were pretending to ride rollercoasters on the spot, but could then go on a stabbing spree.
To quote my previous posts

People keep saying that the clones are 'soulless', but that's not what the movie said. They're two bodies sharing one soul. My take is that it's simply a matter of circumstance. Either 'clone' or 'original' (which are meaningless distinctions given that there is at least one generation of Tethered that was born and not simply cloned) could be the Tethered. It's the circumstances that leave them empty enough to be puppeted. It's why the Tethered could act independently once they set out to murder their dopplegangers. They had purpose and drive and that's all they needed in the first place, but had nothing to give it to them.

Once Adelaide wound up underground she lost her drive and was able to be puppeted like the rest of the Tethered, until she started plotting their revenge.

See, you say 'clone', but there's at least one generation of non-cloned doubles. Which implies there could be more, and given Adelaide had both of her parents, it's entirely possible she was born, not cloned.

Clone and Original are meaningless. There are the Tethered below and the Normal above. And it doesn't matter where you come from, it's your circumstances that define that.

Red didn't come from below at birth, but she was a Tethered regardless of whether or not she remembered that.

Carrying on from my last bit of analysis, I'd like to point out that the thing that gives the Tethered the push needed for them to find agency is a shared culture that Red introduced to them. Sure, it's made up of drips and drabs of half-remebered pop culture, but it's theirs. Not something they're pantomiming from the people above, but something that came from thwir own. That's theirs. Their own contribution to the soul they share with their overworld duplicate.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It seems like Peele was inspired by the Nordic myths of changelings and what not. It was a really good film. I want to see it a second time before making my review.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
People are getting way too caught up in how exactly the tunnel world would work. Of course it would never work, where do these people get clothes, where do the rabbits come from, how exactly is it possible for them to mimic every place and all times? Thing is, none of that is important. Sure, Peele could've delved into how exactly the underground world works, but why would he? It does nothing for the understanding of meaning of the film. It would just be lots and lots of expository "worldbuilding" that detracts from the experience of the film.

And oh boy, what a film. I loved pretty much everything about it. Easily Lupita's best performance so far, too. I almost forgot that she played both characters with how different both characters were played. My only gripe with it was that it had a little too much exposition at the end.

As for the twist: To me it's pretty obvious that Adelaide knows what she did for the entire movie. The twist isn't her realizing what she did, it's Peele confirming to the viewer what they may already have caught on to (it's pretty heavily foreshadowed). I love how the twist puts the movie in a new perspective. Instead of Adelaide being truthful about being afraid that "mirror girl" is after her, she's actually afraid that the real Adelaide will come back for revenge. Instead of trauma of what she's seen being the reason she's afraid to go to that specific beach, it's the closeness to her crime and the knowledge that she's could be there that frightens her.

I also love how the movie plays with morality and emotion. Of course it's easy to see the clones as 'evil', after all they invade houses and kill the people living in them. Yet, you see them crying while they do it. Red is crying when she sits down with the family to talk about 'the girl', tethered Elizabeth Moss is crying while she puts on lipstick, finally being able to actually do what she's been mimicking all these years. And you just have to wonder if it's truly evil what the clones do or if it's just some sort of extreme form of deserved comeuppance. It's layered and I can't wait to see it again.

Last edited:

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
As for the twist: To me it's pretty obvious that Adelaide knows what she did for the entire movie. The twist isn't her realizing what she did, it's Peele confirming to the viewer what they may already have caught on to (it's pretty heavily foreshadowed). I love how the twist puts the movie in a new perspective. Instead of Adelaide being truthful about being afraid that "mirror girl" is after her, she's actually afraid that the real Adelaide will come back for revenge. Instead of trauma of what she's seen being the reason she's afraid to go to that specific beach, it's the closeness to her crime and the knowledge that she's could be there that frightens her.

Yup, this was telegraphed hard in the prologue. What was interesting is that over the course of the film it convinced made its case Adelaide wasn't replaced by her clone and/or the length is enough that you can forget about the context until the reveal and everything clicks into place.

How the Tethered worked was really ambiguous with their connections with their above ground selves which I took to be something like magic physics. However, Red's "explanation" make sense from her experiences since she was abducted as a kid and she had nearly nothing to work with. That's why I didn't buy her explanation of the government behind it all at face value, there were too many gaps.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really wasn't a fan of this at all.

Had a good setup and very good performances but I just kept questioning too many things that didn't make sense.

Why didn't the girl that became trapped after her clone swapped her just leave eventually?

Are the clones unable to leave until a certain event allows them to?

What even are these clones? A government conspiracy? Magic? ?????????

Why did Red not just kill the imposter and her family instead of toying with them?

Who even feeds the clones?

Also that long, slow, boring opening shot with the rabbits was some hilariously obnoxious shit, I hate when films put some of the credits at the start of films so that didn't help either.

I really liked Get Out but this was a bust.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Really liked it. The 'twist'/switch was heavily foreshadowed and I kind of guessed it from the beginning. But that's fine, because it gives that lovely double meaning to many of Adelaide's actions. So it's not really meant to be a surprise, and the story doesn't depend on it.

Not on board with the Jason/Pluto switcheroo speculation though.