• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tlozbj

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Puerto Rico
If anything, I could see Democrats gaining more seats within both the House & the Senate, providing that they play their cards right if they continue doing what they're currently doing & up the ante on their House & Senate ads reminding people of how Republicans have supported insurrection & had let Trump off the hook on convicting him during the Senate trial. It would be even more devastating for the GOP than it is already, especially when you have people like Marjorie Taylor Greene constantly making them look bad by enabling Trumpism.

They probably don't need to do much in that 2nd part. A lot of state GOP legislatures and franchises are already doing that for them by tying themselves to Trump and his cronies and/or censoring out the more moderates Rs that still remain. So they are making the Dems' job for 2022 pretty easy. They can probably pick back some of the swing districts they lost in the House, and at least Toomey's Senate seat in PA.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
they'll process it however hannitty/their social media echo chambers tell them to.
Yeah, I imagine their angle would be something like, "well Trump was the one who got the ball rolling on the additional relief, and the only reason republican senators didn't vote on this bill is because democrats added unnecessary funds to state governments" or whatever bs

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Heck, I was "doomposting" a bit earlier, but I'm happy to eat crow. I'm actually proud of the party. They're making good on this promise to the country. I hope they continue fighting for progress throughout Biden's term.
he is fillig every Promise even the ones most doubted such as Reuniting Families it is nice to see he is following through with many major promises this quickly. He fulfilled more promises in 2 weeks than trump did in 4 years.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If anything, I could see Democrats gaining more seats within both the House & the Senate, providing that they play their cards right if they continue doing what they're currently doing & up the ante on their House & Senate ads reminding people of how Republicans have supported insurrection & had let Trump off the hook on convicting him during the Senate trial. It would be even more devastating for the GOP than it is already, especially when you have people like Marjorie Taylor Greene constantly making them look bad by enabling Trumpism.
My pragmatic brain says to have something like ending student taken care of in 2022 just have something recent and good to have in peoples mind as they ask us to vote, thats my pragmatic mind tho. They really should do it and soon as possible

Oct 27, 2017
They didn't have to negotiate with Republicans and still wouldn't pass the $2000 stimulus they promised. Not off to a good start.

maybe they can come through and pass $2000 stimulus checks in a few weeks.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Every Republican that votes against this should have their names plastered around their state for all to see.

Biden needs to have their photos behind him while he signs whatever bill and say that they didn't want you to have this support. Don't let them hide behind their vote.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Every Republican that votes against this should have their names plastered around their state for all to see.

Biden needs to have their photos behind him while he signs whatever bill and say that they didn't want you to have this support. Don't let them hide behind their vote.
It's gonna be everyone of them

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Republican voters will enjoy the stimulus checks, they'll buy a new crossbow or a dirt bike, but 2022 is a long ways away. They will forget all of this as soon as Biden eats some food they don't agree with.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Hey. Can someone help me understand what's going on? Are we getting the stimulus checks soon? Or is there some other step where Rs can just stall us until we all die?

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
/
Have they said this is it?

Bills have to be paid each month. I don't know why people shouldn't expect frequent stimulus checks until herd immunity.

They have one more reconciliation chance this year and there is no way the moderate wing of the Democratic Party is going to be on board for monthly checks, the economic forecast is already looking better than expected so I believe this package is all we're going to get in terms of fiscal relief, everything else will be focusing on getting the vaccine out

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's probably what they are saving the elimination of Trump's tax cuts for. They were around $2.1T - $2.4T, no? That should easily cover the relief plan + leave some billions for a extra Dem stimulus and/or cover part of Biden's Infrastructure plan (if they do that via reconciliation)
Thinking about it that's probably the reason they're stuck on this 1.9 trillion number. They'll probably maintain the lower bracket tax cuts of Trump's tax cuts, while increasing taxes on the rich more to make up for it. Fucking paygo was a terrible idea.
It's gonna be everyone of them
I feel like there's a possibility that SOMEONE votes with dems for moderate cred that they lost out on because they didn't get their dummy "bipartisan" bill before reconciliation came up.
My son was born last September. I should be looking at a hefty tax credit this year.
And an extra 1.4k for him.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thinking about it that's probably the reason they're stuck on this 1.9 trillion number. They'll probably maintain the lower bracket tax cuts of Trump's tax cuts, while increasing taxes on the rich more to make up for it. Fucking paygo was a terrible idea.

I feel like there's a possibility that SOMEONE votes with dems for moderate cred that they lost out on because they didn't get their dummy "bipartisan" bill before reconciliation came up.

And an extra 1.4k for him.
Plus the stimulus from last year!

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to the idiotic way the Senate is made up.

The 50 Democratic Senators represent 41 million more people than the 50 Republican Senators. Our system is broken.

I can understand the frustration because we don't have a super majority but that the Senate is only 2 people per state each placed within 1 of 3 classes that are staggered so no more than 34 (currently, based on our # of states) Senators are ever up for re-election is important.

1) It means the Senate is immune to gerrymandering, because Senators aren't decided by districting but rather the whole state. This is only possible because so few people are elected with the classes spread out between each senator in each state so at any one point and time only 1 person from a state is every up for election if a state has a senator of that class. The system would fall apart if you added more senators to each state and would essentially necessitate districting to have a reasonable voting process which leads to gerrymandering.

2) Because the Senate represents the entire state, Senators in most states actually have to represent their state well. Since Representatives represent a district and not the state, and the district was likely gerrymandered to favor them, they can easily be a little more...extreme...and get away with it.

3) Because Senators are elected by the whole state, statewide efforts to get people to vote are more important, and policies or PR that hurts a state can change it. Without how Senators are elected, AZ & GA would not be full blue right now. A Democrat Senator in West Virginia would very likely not exist without the current system, either. (because he'd be districted out of running with the GOP legislature in WV)

3) The nature of how the Senate works benefits having less people rather than more. Easy examples of things that would be immensely worse with way more people include filibustering, impeachment trials, election certification (remember this years??? imagine that with 300+ more people each with the potential to delay it further. big yikes.), cabinet/judge appointment hearings, budget reconciliation deliberation (the stimulus check plan about to be deliberated on here), etc. The Senate naturally has the jobs that require the most focused discourse and deliberation, so tons more people would exponentially slow it down.

Case and point, the worst people in the Senate at this point is Hawley and Cruz. They suck, don't get me wrong (especially Hawley), but neither of them are anywhere on the level of Greene or Boebert in the House. A Greene or Boebert in the Senate is near impossible since they would need to win statewide agreement, essentially, whereas in the House it's not difficult if the districting favors QAnon supporters or extremely low educated voters.

You don't want the Senate to work anything like the House does.

Last edited:

Reel Big Fish

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2020
Probably too early to know, but I hope whatever method they used to distribute checks the first time is implemented instead of whatever they used the second time. Would suck for those of us who have to file an amendment on our taxes for the second stimulus to have to do the same for the third, especially when a lot of people will have had already filed 2020 taxes by the time these checks are ready to distribute.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Glad to see the ball rolling on this. And those Republican Senators can all go to hell. Seriously, thank God we don't need them for now.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
If it takes until March or April whatever but this is the bill where even dependents also get $1400 correct? So a family of 4 gets $5600?

Oct 25, 2017
So if they use reconciliation for Covid relief, does that mean it will be at least a year before Trump's Corporate tax cuts are addressed?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So if they use reconciliation for Covid relief, does that mean it will be at least a year before Trump's Corporate tax cuts are addressed?
No, reconciliation can be used twice this year (it wasn't used last year), and Trump's tax cuts are probably part of the way to avoid the paygo trigger and paygo is probably the reason for the 1.9 trillion target for relief.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is Medicare 4 all or Student Loan relief in this bill???
M4A isn't happening, even if Bernie somehow became President, it would be impossible with this Senate. Student loan relief will definitely happen, the deferment until October is to give that time in an overall college bill.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Repubs: LOWER TAXES

Dems: lets give some of the money we get from taxes back to americans

Repubs: WELL NO NOT LIKE THAT.