• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 10, 2020

" Notice of Effectiveness means a notice upon receipt of which the Seller effectively transfers to the Administrative Agent the exclusive control of the Controlled Account."

The notice of effectiveness is a public declaration by the Securities and Exchange Commission that a public company's registration statement has been accepted.For shares in a public company to trade on the open market they must be registered by the company. These registration statements are reviewed by the Commission for a period of time before approval is given, and this notice marks the successful completion of this review process.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
damn, i was hoping governments would step in to block the acquisitions on account of it giving MS a monopoly on WRPGs :(

edit: this is not a serious post

Last edited:

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
But this is just in a US context no? EU is a separate conversation?

I have no idea - so could the more learned among us make sense of this please?
The timing - it coincides with EU's approval expiration - makes me believe the US Securities and Exchange Commission just received a formal approval from EU, so they could ultimately greenlight it.

But yeah, I'm as clueless as you.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
damn, i was hoping governments would step in to block the acquisitions on account of it giving MS a monopoly on WRPGs :(

I'm sure there's a lot Microsoft could do here to help Bethesda here, and I'm impatient to see what they come up with, but yeah, I'm not a fan of further consolidation of the industry. I don't want other pubs to want to eat up even more devs and have the whole industry eventually just divided among a few camps.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Also,
7drHiqr.gif

DaeJim

Founder LifeisXbox.eu
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Remains one of the weirdest days of my gaming journalism years. I woke up and saw that my phone literally struggled with all the notifications. Wasn't sure wtf was happening and when I saw that Xbox x Bethesda image... what a HOLY SHIT moment.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I'm sure there's a lot Microsoft could do here to help Bethesda here, and I'm impatient to see what they come up with, but yeah, I'm not a fan of further consolidation of the industry. I don't want other pubs to want to eat up even more devs and have the whole industry eventually just divided among a few camps.
The poster you quoted was making fun of a person in a previous thread who made that argument. They aren't serious.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I mean, I'm not really a fan of consolidation but is there really any chance this gets blocked?

Nintendo and Sony are both acquiring studios, as is EA. There's also other huge publishers like Square Enix, Ubisoft, Warner Bros, and I suppose Embracer group is getting there. So it's not like Microsoft is anywhere close to a monopoly and it's not like they're the only ones acquiring studios. I've got no legal experience but it doesn't seem to me like the acquisition would be blocked.

ImPacaTheCat

Mar 3, 2020
I mean, I'm not really a fan of consolidation but is there really any chance this gets blocked?

Nintendo and Sony are both acquiring studios, as is EA. There's also other huge publishers like Square Enix, Ubisoft, Warner Bros, and I suppose Embracer group is getting there. So it's not like Microsoft is anywhere close to a monopoly and it's not like they're the only ones acquiring studios. I've got no legal experience but it doesn't seem to me like the acquisition would be blocked.

My thoughts exactly . I still don't get where these monoply statements come from

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
My thoughts exactly . I still don't get where these monoply statements come from
Like of the industry keeps moving in that direction it could start to become a problem, but I don't think we're at that point yet. Any talk of it being blocked just seems like wishful thinking unless there's something I'm overlooking.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I could have done this myself much easier. Bethesda hadn't been very effective lately with their lackluster releases.

edit: Y'all taking this way too seriously.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine paying almost a million dollars in registration fees.

Christ!

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I mean, not liking monopolies isn't a dumb thing.

I did miss the clue about the WRPG thing. I really should not still be up this late.
Nobody likes monopolies (I think) but the idea that it should be illegal to have a monopoly in one genre is absurd and that's why it's funny.

It's like saying that DC and Marvel have a monopoly on superhero movies.