• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Honestly, this is how I feel about video game orchestra concerts. I've been to a few Zelda one and a Pokemon one and it's like every time they show a popular character, game or scene on the screen people start screaming and hollering. Like I get it, you're excited but I'm trying to listen to the music. It's obnoxious.

Having that in a movie theater must be even more unbearable since you can miss dialogue.
I SAW THING I LIKE!

Jun 17, 2019
Worst experience I've had at a screening was the last lego movie where a group of tweens kept making comments and doing shadow puppets on screen during the film. Younger sister got pissed and got management to kick them out.

Never had a issue with anime screenings. People have always been quiet and polite. Cheering only when it makes sense to cheer.

Spectrum

Oct 27, 2017
This was my experience as well. People laughing loud at everything an clapping in the middle of the movie. This was my first time going to a somewhat full theatre here in the US and it really soured me on the experience. I will probably just avoid cinemas in the future.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Kinda OT but I just google this and holy shot is it the exact same thing as fire force, or fire force is the exact same thing as it. I don't know which one came first
I haven't seen anyone respond to you and apologies if they have but fire force came first and the author of fire force has even jokingly accused them of plagiarism though he will never sue them for anything because it's likely that promare was already in development right when fire force was starting. It's likely it's all completely coincidental.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Things like this make me thankful my anime fandom never fully blossomed, I've just been enjoying it here and there on the periphery.

Being a wrestling fan is bad enough plight to live with.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Promare when I saw it at Otakon, but this shit makes me ugh so fucking hard internally and externally. Good lord these people need to fucking not. The most recent anime movie I saw in theaters was the Danmachi movie and there was basically nothing like this. Generally, there is cheering at certain parts and whatnot, fine, but none of the extra insufferable shit to ruin the movie experience. Being as blatantly and annoyingly loud as possible is not fucking cool and should have your ass kicked out for it.

Apr 19, 2018
I saw Promare when it first came through and everyone was very respectful, laughed when needed but overall quiet. I'll see what happens tomorrow night I guess.

Glad when I had my UK Screening 2 weeks ago it was perfectly normal and fine. All I got were laughs when you expect people to laugh so that always proved I wasn't watching it a room full of robots.

Same here, at my screening yesterday in NYC.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

lmao is that an actual thing? wtf is wrong with people who watch anime.

These glow sticks are popular in Japan for idol concerts and stuff. It's weird but seemingly very common from what I can tell. This is super bizarre to do though in America and especially at a movie.

I saw One Piece Stampede recently and usually see a Ghibli movie or two a year and haven't had any issues. This seems limited to this film I guess. Strange. If Fathom Events shows weren't so gd expensive I might have considered going to this when it played.. I'm gonna get suckered into spending a bunch to see Weathering With You probably since I don't know if it will play at the Alamo.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This was my experience as well. People laughing loud at everything an clapping in the middle of the movie. This was my first time going to a somewhat full theatre here in the US and it really soured me on the experience. I will probably just avoid cinemas in the future.
This isn't indicative of seeing a "regular" movie in the US and is not really indicative of seeing most anime films from my experience. I guess it seems like this is a concerted effort by some weirdos who think other people would be into this whereas they're really just ruining the experience for most people. Hopefully it doesn't entirely put you off the experience. Nothing like seeing a movie at the theater IMO.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
These glow sticks are popular in Japan for idol concerts and stuff. It's weird but seemingly very common from what I can tell. This is super bizarre to do though in America and especially at a movie.

Yeah, idol concerts have been participatory events for about as long as I recall (4-5 years at least) but it is kind of odd to see it at a movie, especially one that's not very connected to idol culture, and one that for that matter is getting an extremely limited screening run.

At least this shit is relatively harmless and isn't, like, shattering anyone's pelvis.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017

Probably the "best" anime movie screening I've ever been to was for the Uta no Prince-sama film at Anime Expo 2019. The entire film is framed like a concert (it basically just is an animated concert), and the audience was filled with people with glowsticks cheering their butts off the whole time. It was a ton of fun.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, I want people to be respectful in public places I guess I should just stay home all the tine then.

seein the defense force (mostly on Twitter) telling people to just stay home sure is something.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a bunch of annoying twats having fun, much like how bad people can get at big screenings for mcu or star wars.

Deleted member 16609

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
I don't mind people getting hype and cracking jokes. But glow sticks? If you have enough time to film or bitch about it on Twitter you have time to say something to someone that works there.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
The theaters in major cities it is common for people to get hyped. Any major film that has action in it is going to have an intense crowd. I live for that shit. Alamo Draft House has special viewings for the rowdy crowd.
Huh...that's so weird, we go to the movies pretty much monthly in my country and not once have I encountered people clapping or cheering during a movie (and I mean the most popular theatres down here)

It just seems rude to me

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
None of this happened when I saw the movie in its initial release back in like September or October.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The anime movie showings I have been to the audience is generally like any other movie audience, so I guess I have been lucky.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I went to see WwY at an early Glasgow screening and the audience was very chill, the worst you'll get is laughing at jokes, which is hardly abnormal.

I think what makes people go wild is either established franchises (I could see Dragon Ball and One Piece firing people up) or huge studios known for hype moments (I assume Promare falls in this camp, haven't seen it). Makoto Shinkai's movies are usually way too chill except for their finales, which are more silent awe-inspiring than anything else.

Haha I know I was joking... mostly

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fan of the movie, but the type of behavior mentioned in the OP is a bit of a problem. Control yourselves people

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
What was in the deleted tweet/cheer guide? Always confused me to the level of excitement and devotion hardcore fanbases can get over things. I like anime, I like video games, I like a lot of nerdy things. But I've never occurred to me once to so loudly and disruptively broadcast my enjoyment of something in a public place. Cringey and creepy.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Probably. I've been to a few anime screenings but they were all Satoshi Kon films so in my head (and was proven) they were are respectful and quiet.

I wish my Perfect Blue audience was that. All the giggling and laughing during the rape scene made me seriously consider bailing the fuck out right then and there.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Wow this wasnt exclusive to my screening? I legit thought it was a one-off thing.

When I went to see this (and it wasn't even great imo), there was a girl who pulled out glow sticks and moved along to the rhythm and beat of one of the longer sequences set to music in the finale.

Like what crowds do at idol shows in Japan. Whew.

She was distracting everyone but ofc no one is going to call her out. It was really, really inconsiderate.

I really do need to dissociate from anime fans as much as possible. Made me second guess the shit I'm into.

Probably won't go to an anime screening again after that. Was really sad and again, embarrassing.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
As long as these types of fans stick to acting like this for shounen anime and not prestige anime films, won't ever have to encounter them.

Nov 2, 2017
I went to one of the original screenings months ago and it was chill as hell. Just a bunch of folk in a theater watching a movie. I'm Canadian, but I don't know how much difference that should make. We have just as many unwashed awful weebs per capita.

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Why isn't anyone bothering to call these people out or reporting them to theater staff. D:

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I know Jaxxy, and she just values a very quiet, peaceful theater experience.

My own experience was loud but fun. Nothing was spoiled and nothing was really lost under crowd noise.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
I saw it yesterday and it was totally fine, and the theater was just about full. People were laughing a lot and stuff like you'd expect at any Marvel movie or whatever, and there was cheerung at that one part, but nothing egregious at all. I'd assume the really obnoxious stuff is now of an outlier than anything.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I dont get cheering in a movie like this? Like i get it for dbz, those are decades old characters, there's an expectation there that people will cheer for hype moments. But isnt this like a new property? Like people would want to know the story and characters?

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I dont get cheering in a movie like this? Like i get it for dbz, those are decades old characters, there's an expectation there that people will cheer for hype moments. But isnt this like a new property? Like people would want to know the story and characters?
It's a rerun, most people watching know the characters now.

Deleted member 2699

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw the film at once at Otakon, and again during the first theater run in October, and the audience was energetic, but respectful. People laughed at the jokes, cheered when things got hype and everyone went crazy when
The mouth-to-mouth scene happened
, but this all seems a bit much.

I enjoy a rowdy crowd under the right circumstances, but people waving glow sticks and yelling randomly throughout the movie sounds like hell. I feel bad for anyone who had to put up with that shit.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Mine was a little loud and obnoxious but not more than the average audience for a Marvel movie. They sure did laugh a lot though, even at things that weren't very funny. It was overall the appropriate energy for an Imaishi movie.

Movie was fun too.