• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019

Yes, "cheer screenings" meaning fans are showing up to screenings of the movie to be as loud and as disruptive as possible

Someone even posted an online guide

I really wanted to go see this movie in theatres but I'm probably not doing that now.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
i saw that cheer outline
i'm gonna go see it tomorrow since it's literally the only screening i've had near me
if anyone cheers
or claps
or is just a gross unshowered weeb in general
i'm gonna be upsetti spaghetti

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
This happened at the One Piece Stampede showing I saw a few months ago and I sort of loved it.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I saw it during its original run and it was fine. These redux screenings are playing into this sort of thing, so just wait for the bluray if that bothers you. Great movie, one of the best of the year!

It can be kind of fun and even endearing when crowds react like this during more typical shonen like Naruto, DBZ, or MHA. At least I enjoyed it, even if I wasn't joining in externally.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Go talk to a manager if this happens- most likely it's only going to be a few people ruining the movie, and the theater will ask them to stop, and kick them out if they don't comply.

Khoryos

Nov 5, 2019
I strongly suggest you don't ever go see the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Your eyes'd be out on stalks!

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
I strongly suggest you don't ever go see the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Your eyes'd be out on stalks!
It'd be different if Rocky Horror Picture Show screenings weren't literally all about fan involvement.

Plus I would want to go see a good movie instead

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Went to go see it with my university's anime club, and my experience was about par for the course for other anime club showings for me, so I guess I'm used to it.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So without digging in further I would assume this is happening at showings that are not designated cheer screenings. That's bad. Insufferably bad.

Khoryos

Nov 5, 2019
It'd be different if Rocky Horror Picture Show screenings weren't literally all about fan involvement.

Plus I would want to go see a good movie instead
Kind of sounds like that's exactly what these screenings are about, though.
Are you familiar with the saying about meeting one asshole versus nothing but assholes?

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I've been to a couple of screenings for anime movies and promare by far smelled the worst

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda OT but I just google this and holy shot is it the exact same thing as fire force, or fire force is the exact same thing as it. I don't know which one came first

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh fuck off. This was nowhere near the average experience. You're spreading misinformation that is going to turn more people off than is warranted.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen it 9 times so far, this'll be the 10th.
Looking forward to it.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go talk to a manager if this happens- most likely it's only going to be a few people ruining the movie, and the theater will ask them to stop, and kick them out if they don't comply.

As someone who worked for a large chain movie theater for years... good luck. My experience is unless there is a brawl in the showing then management isn't doing shit about disruptive customers except giving the complaining party a refund.

Sep 14, 2019
Is this a common anime film showing issue?

Pokémon movies aside, I've only been to three anime showings (the last two Rebuild of Evangelion films and Sailor Moon).

There was minimal talking during my first film. Second one actually felt a bit classy (all of us were in semi casual attire), but the Sailor Moon showing last year... Ugh... And it was my friend who kept yelling throughout the whole film. Not sure if she assumed it was a cheer screening, but a lot of what she was screaming was random shit. She was even told to keep it down by the other audience members, but her other friends encouraged her to keep doing it. I wanted her to stop, but I felt like a buzzkill of the group already, so I just kept my mouth shut.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
the first-run screening I went to had a lot of laughing and a couple scenes got cheered but since everyone was watching for the first time it was fine and added to the hype more than it detracted. the second screening I went to where everyone was dead silent actually ended up feeling less energetic (although tbf it's always gonna be less exciting the second time).

a redux screening with a bunch of people who know what's going to happen and try and make noise beforehand sounds unwatchable. I saw a screening of the steven universe movie that people just spontaneously decided to turn into a cheer screening and it was annoying as hell. people applauding every time a character appeared on screen like chill

Is this a common anime film showing issue?

depends on the film? like, stuff like promare and the konosuba movie are gonna attract rowdy weeb crowds but crowds at, say, a ghibli screening are generally fine

Last edited:

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Is that all you are going to tell us? Guessing your screenings were fine?
Yeah, I never had a problem with them.
I watch movies all the time, so louder crowds don't really get to me, and only add to the experience for me.
People always went crazy during the big scenes, and it was fun.

yc62k

Mar 7, 2019
Went to see this in Australia, great screening, audience cheered during one particular scene but were just generally polite and conscientious overall. Always horrifies me to hear about movie screenings in America, everyone sounds so rude and inconsiderate.

Good luck with that over there...

Oct 25, 2017
EwrVvpH.gif

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Glad when I had my UK Screening 2 weeks ago it was perfectly normal and fine. All I got were laughs when you expect people to laugh so that always proved I wasn't watching it a room full of robots.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Weathering with You preview tomorrow. That won't attract these kinda people will it?

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Are you even going to see this if you're not that kind of fan and going for that sort of event?
As far as I can tell, this was just marketed as an encore broadcast - nothing about the screenings were explicitly sold as having audience participation. So it feels like the assumption should just be to treat it like any other movie.

I feel like in small doses cheering is acceptable & fun in certain movies (I can't imagine an Endgame screening during the entire opening weekend that didn't have at least a few cheers when Cap wields the hammer) - but the stuff the tweets are a bridge too far.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I can tell, this was just marketed as an encore broadcast - nothing about the screenings were explicitly sold as having audience participation. So it feels like the assumption should just be to treat it like any other movie.

I feel like in small doses cheering is acceptable & fun in certain movies (I can't imagine an Endgame screening during the entire opening weekend that didn't have at least a few cheers when Cap wields the hammer) - but the stuff the tweets are a bridge too far.

Definitely acceptable to cheer when things happen in a fun, new movie, but anything more will take away from the experience for most people, I feel.
Wonder what the cross-section is between people who ask "why do people clap after movies?" and say "I see no problem with audience participation at anime screenings"

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I never been to a movie where people do this. Clapping, cheering, being loud and obnoxious, who would do this in a movie theatre?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing Weathering with You preview tomorrow. That won't attract these kinda people will it?

I went to see WwY at an early Glasgow screening and the audience was very chill, the worst you'll get is laughing at jokes, which is hardly abnormal.

I think what makes people go wild is either established franchises (I could see Dragon Ball and One Piece firing people up) or huge studios known for hype moments (I assume Promare falls in this camp, haven't seen it). Makoto Shinkai's movies are usually way too chill except for their finales, which are more silent awe-inspiring than anything else.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly feel like this is an American thing.
In the UK I don't really remember any film where people were obnoxious or excessively loud.
when i went to see the Broly movie in theaters, one dude in front of me vaped weed the whole time and cheered during the entire movie.
How the hell was he not thrown out?

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This shit is why I stopped going to anime club screenings way back in the early '00s. There's nothing as cringy as a bunch of weird 30 year old men giggling themselves silly at "uwu".

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
I never had a problem with the Promare screenings I went to. If anything I thought they were too quiet, a lot of the best bits had next to zero reaction. One of the screenings I think the only sound I heard was laughter at "Dues Ex Machina".

Normally I'm all for anime fans shutting the hell up (the Madoka films and Heaven's Feel in particular I've had pretty bad experiences with), but Promare's a film where I think it's ok to make a little noise in. The screening at AX had people getting really into it and that was fun.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Never had a problem in South Florida. Been to both Heaven's Feel films, Sailor Moon R, and both Satoshi Kon rereleases, audiences were quiet and respectful the whole time.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds lame if people are being constantly loud and yelling outright spoilers. Went to see it during the initial run and there were parts that got laughs or cheers/claps but not in a way that ruined the experience.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I had no idea what Promare was, I had to Google it.

I'm not sure what I was expecting to be honest.

PGJq.gif