• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, I thought I was about to see a child die on YouTube. Super relieved to see him get up at the end.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
this fees like another "move fast and break things" company. terrible and dangerous concept.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Recall:
www.cpsc.gov

CPSC and Peloton Announce: Recall of Tread+ Treadmills After One Child Death and 70 Incidents; Recall of Tread Treadmills Due to Risk of Injury

CPSC and Peloton Announce: Recall of Tread+ Treadmills After One Child Death and 70 Incidents; Recall of Tread Treadmills Due to Risk of Injury

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and Peloton are announcing two separate voluntary recalls of Peloton's Tread+ and Tread treadmills.
Consumers who have purchased either treadmill should immediately stop using it and contact Peloton for a full refund or other qualified remedy as described in the press releases below.
Peloton has also stopped sale and distribution of the Tread+ and continues to work on additional hardware modifications. CPSC previously warned consumers about the Tread+ in April.
In the United States, the Tread was only sold as part of a limited invitation-only release from about November, 2020 to about March, 2021 and the company is currently working on a repair to be offered to Tread owners in the coming weeks.

Peloton agreed to recall its Tread Plus treadmills from the U.S. market in a deal struck Wednesday morning with federal safety regulators, a stunning reversal for the home exercise company after it spent weeks denying its treadmills were to blame for accidents tied to one child's death and injuries to others.
The voluntary agreement with the Consumer Product Safety Commission — which includes a full refund for consumers who purchased the $4,300 machines — comes after the company spent weeks fighting against a potential recall.
The deal represents an abrupt change in tone for Peloton, whose chief executive John Foley told consumers just last month that the company had "no intention" of recalling the treadmills.
But Peloton's stance proved untenable. Public backlash over the accidents grew. Its stock price fell about 16 percent since its battle with safety regulators was first revealed last month.
A Washington Post report last month detailed how Peloton declined to voluntarily recall the treadmill and clashed with the agency over the wording of a proposed safety notice.
The next day, the CPSC posted a strongly worded notice warning consumers to stop using the treadmills because of the risk of getting pulled under the treadmills by the rotating, slated running surface.
The CPSC's recall notice said it was aware of more than 70 incidents with the Tread Plus, including one death and injuries that included multiple broken bones.

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Terrible design, why is the belt even exposed like that at the end. Shouldn't it enclosed?

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): inappropriate commentary
Read that recall article and all i can think of is..... "Parent your children better good lord"

Oct 27, 2017
Or Peloton instead of fighting against the recall and finally giving in could have just put in precautions that most treadmills have in the first place or use a pin to unlock like they're adding.

Oh definitely, it just made them look worse for trying to put it off, I just dont understand how people would leave their children around a treadmill, but thats just me, i dont really trust machines like that, too much potential to go wrong with a kid.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
I am genuinely curious what it is about these that are worse than other Treadmills, other than the fact that they are more popular. I am not defending Peloton, I just have not seen any discussion about what makes them uniquely dangerous.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I am genuinely curious what it is about these that are worse than other Treadmills, other than the fact that they are more popular. I am not defending Peloton, I just have not seen any discussion about what makes them uniquely dangerous.
Great post from the other thread, its like three very dumb decisions all compounding:
Several.

The running surface is slatted, rather than being a single smooth belt, so that if something gets caught underneath it (more on that in a second) there's more than just friction being exerted on the trapped object; the gaps between the slats can capture skin etc.

The rear of the treadmill is open, which normally isn't a problem with a belt-driven system, but because Peloton's devices are raised off the floor, it's easy for things to get trapped and pulled under. The video the US regulators released showing a child getting pulled under happened from the rear of the treadmill, and it's a terrifying watch. Seriously, as a parent, I don't think any video has scared me that much.

There's no system to detect excessive torque / potential blockages, so when something does get pulled under the treadmill, the slats will continue to pull it further under - until either the machine gets lifted off the floor by the mass of the thing captured, or until the thing gets pushed out the other side.

Combined, these amount to a constantly-running tank track that's just high enough to grab children and pets, pull them under, and hold them there.

I want to be clear also that Peloton has a lot to answer for in terms of marketing gym-grade, dangerous devices to people who simply do not have the space to safely use them. All those design decisions are stupid and life-endangering, but they'd be less of a problem if Peloton only sold to commercial gyms. The video the regulators released showed one of these treadmills in the corner of a crowded lounge with two children playing on it. Obviously the parents are idiots for letting that happen, but Peloton's own marketing shows their hardware in people's communal living spaces - where it absolutely does not belong.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The bike is honestly no joke either. That's a 50-lb. steel flywheel, free-spinning at like 100 rpm.

It's one reason I'll never use the bike if my kids are in the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.