• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It could be the booze, but idk, I'm thinking that maybe Biden can still get BBB over the finish line. We've heard that Manchin and Sinema are giving ground on a bunch of stuff; maybe giving the holdouts a modicum of trust can make this work for personal persuasion reasons.

I get the cynicism over this stuff, but for god's sake, they're not Republicans.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it's worth remembering how many many people, myself included, constantly derided Biden's rhetoric about working with Republicans to pass legislation all throughout last and this year as naive at best and delusional at worst.

Well, he passed this bill with two dozen House and Senate Republicans. So, consider me proven wrong!

They might as well do it. BBB is dead now as anything other than a plan more horrendously gutted in the future, so get in your grievances while you can.
I don't want to see a single one of them trumpeting the infrastructure investments in their districts. It was hypocritical when Republicans did it with the covid stimulus, it'll be hypocritical if they do the same. And Ayanna is my congresswoman so I'm especially annoyed!

Dopsi

Oct 30, 2017
Guys BBB isn't dead, take a win when you can. This bill still has a lot of good in it and will help this country in more ways then one. BBB will pass one way or another.

May 26, 2018
It could be the booze, but idk, I'm thinking that maybe Biden can still get BBB over the finish line. We've heard that Manchin and Sinema are giving ground on a bunch of stuff; maybe giving the holdouts a modicum of trust can make this work for personal persuasion reasons.

It's at the mercy of literally everyone who could possibly not want it passed. Leverage gone, unless Biden stonewalls passing BIF which... surely he wouldn't do? He needs a win and other people have leverage on him.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Because they know what's going to happen in 2 weeks.
Regardless of what happens with BBB, the infrastructure bill is becoming law and they're the only Dems in all of Congress who will have not put their names to it. It's a lame stunt. And there are about 90something other progressives in the House who didn't put on the same show.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's at the mercy of literally everyone who could possibly not want it passed. Leverage gone, unless Biden stonewalls passing BIF which... surely he wouldn't do? He needs a win and other people have leverage on him.
I mean, there's still other points of leverage.

The big sticking points here were Sinema and Manchin. Unless we assume they're just totally full of shit, they seem to have more or less agreed to pass something very much like the framework, given the tidbits that've come out this last week. The House moderates just aren't the same caliber of threat. They're not pressure-proof like Manchin or wholesale deluded like Sinema.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Regardless of what happens with BBB, the infrastructure bill is becoming law and they're the only Dems in all of Congress who will have not put their names to it. It's a lame stunt. And there are about 90something other progressives in the House who didn't put on the same show.
They adhered to the agreement that had repeatedly been put forth in front of them. Both go together. When the moderates kill BBB they can at least go to their base and say we knew what was coming and fought for BBB.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
They adhered to the agreement that had repeatedly been put forth in front of them. Both go together. When the moderates kill BBB they can at least go to their base and say we knew what was coming and fought for BBB.
They can explain it however they want, I just don't want to see them try to take credit for any infrastructure money coming into their districts. House reps are there, first and foremost, to vote on legislation and they used theirs to vote against it.

May 26, 2018
I'm seeing alot of faith in the democratic party. Why?

You mean people being happy? If you're a moderate, this is likely a huge earth-shaking win that proves you can still reason with fascists to get shit done.

But if you're more to the left... I guess it depends how far to the left you are, really. Sort of a gradient of anger.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
they are 100% full of shit
I don't know, I guess I just have a little more faith than that. Again, they're not Republicans. They're dicks, but I can at least believe that they'll negotiate in good faith, even on stuff they're not entirely on board with. Now that we've cleared the "maybe they just walk away with nothing" threshold, idk, I can see it.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't know, I guess I just have a little more faith than that. Again, they're not Republicans. They're dicks, but I can at least believe that they'll negotiate in good faith, even on stuff they're not entirely on board with. Now that we've cleared the "maybe they just walk away with nothing" threshold, idk, I can see it.
They don't even need to bother pretending to negotiate now.

Jceaz

Oct 30, 2017
What are you on about?

A massive bill that is likely to be passed just got through the house. It's not ideal, but I can still like a good thing?
Passing bills in and of itself is not good. REPS can do that also. BIF Passes. alot of people in this thread are cheering weakening there own position. It's infuriating.

May 26, 2018

Yup. We get to see what they actually think about all this now that a hostage has been released, but they still have one of their own. They didn't do a "we release our hostages at the same time guns drawn" deal, so they can just shoot the captive in the head now if they like.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Jayapal has proven to be a pretty deft negotiator through all of this. Maybe it'll turn out she fucked up on the home stretch here and is getting taken for a ride by the centrists one last time. But until then I'll assume her soliciting commitments from them was a success.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I guess they could backstab the progressives, but what's the point of a win if you fracture your party right after?

Jceaz

Oct 30, 2017
You mean people being happy? If you're a moderate, this is likely a huge earth-shaking win that proves you can still reason with fascists to get shit done.

But if you're more to the left... I guess it depends how far to the left you are, really. Sort of a gradient of anger.
.reasoning with fascists............. I guess I drank the koo aid.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Yup. We get to see what they actually think about all this now that a hostage has been released, but they still have one of their own. They didn't do a "we release our hostages at the same time guns drawn" deal, so they can just shoot the captive in the head now if they like.
I guess my big distinction here is... I really do think that Manchin is operating on a wacky-ass moral framework of his own and that he really is trying to do what he sees as negotiating. And that once we've cleared the Senate hurdles, the House moderates will get in line. Sinema is the wildcard, but given that we just saw her move on prescription drug pricing, I think she might be terminally weird rather than in actual bad faith as such. Still should definitely get primary'd, we already know that you can be a moderate senator from AZ without being as obnoxious as she is, but yeah.

Idk, maybe I'm wrong. Suppose we'll see. I don't see it as settled yet, is all. Again: this isn't the same as negotiating with Republicans. I don't think we need to assume they're just looking for an opportunity to stick a knife in our collective back.

Jceaz

Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing Fellow Members
Neophytes in this thread. Can't blame ya I was there once.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not worried. People are acting like the McCain thumbs down moment is the norm rather than the extreme exception. There is no indication that will happen here.

Stuff only comes to the teal final vote after the deals are made. Pelosi is too good at her job for this to go belly up.

May 26, 2018
.reasoning with fascists............. I guess I drank the koo aid.

Yeah? The Republicans are fascists. Their party leader tried to end the Republic and they didn't only do nothing to the political agents involved, but defended them.

We're not still laboring under a delusion they're interested in the Union as a place to shelter free human beings, are we?

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017
You can't be having a gas mask picture insulting people for real problems just getting better for a lot of folks with this passing.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I trust Jayapal but I don't trust the moderates. I'm really at a dilemma.

May 26, 2018
I'm not worried. People are acting like the McCain thumbs down moment is the norm rather than the extreme exception. There is no indication that will happen here.

Stuff only comes to the teal final vote after the deals are made. Pelosi is too good at her job for this to go belly up.

Sinema literally curtsied to end a minimum wage increase. She thinks she is some bizarro John McCain so... like... don't put it past her? lol

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you're still defending Kanye's music in the thread despite him being a terrible person. Pots and kettles and all that.

You can't be having a gas mask picture insulting people for real problems just getting better for a lot of folks with this passing.
Okay, okay, I told him to dial it down, I'm telling y'all to too. Ignore list is there for a reason, people. It is not a sign of weakness to say "I don't want to deal with this person."

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Okay, okay, I told him to dial it down, I'm telling y'all to too. Ignore list is there for a reason, people. It is not a sign of weakness to say "I don't want to deal with this person."
Understood. Though I hesitate to use the ignore button, as I don't want to silence anyone and am happy to listen to other opinions as long as they aren't drive by insults and actually engaging.

But message received.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Local municipalities should be prioritizing electric car infrastructure (and nobody seems to be mandating anything on the local level) but this should, in theory, provide for it.

Amtrak was teasing new routes if this thing passed which would be a huge fucking deal in my neck of the woods.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if The Squad is mad at Jayapal.
There's more to the US Congress than The Squad. And if they voted no on this, that was incredibly petty and stupid.

These are all excellent things that the country desperately needs. No one here should be criticized or shamed for celebrating progress. I for one am glad to see this pass. The past few Presidents would have loved to accomplish something like this.

I'm disappointed and mad at Manchinema (I'm so tired of reading, saying and hearing their names) and the moderates for stalling and watering down Biden's BBB agenda, and I hope that something does pass. But this may be as good as it gets. It became pretty clear that passing both right now just isn't happening. Infrastructure is not worth tanking — just because it's not as compelling as BBB doesn't mean the country isn't in need of it. It's insanely frustrating how much power a select few moderates have, but this is the reality of hardly having any wiggle room with votes in the house and a 50-50 senate.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Local municipalities should be prioritizing electric car infrastructure (and nobody seems to be mandating anything on the local level) but this should, in theory, provide for it.

Amtrak was teasing new routes if this thing passed which would be a huge fucking deal in my neck of the woods.
As an EV owner, the last thing to keep me having 2 EVs is more chargers in rural areas I like to vacation in.

Also, yay for all my green energy stocks next week!

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Legislating local EV infrastructure is tricky for the same reason national zoning law changes would be tricky; it's traditionally been something left up to municipalities, and congress sticking its oar in would put them in weird legal waters even absent a hostile supreme court. Increasing funding should probably do the trick in most places.

This man is saltyyyy

Tho I did hear an interview with Danica Roem where she basically raised the same complaints, so idk maybe he was on to something. Doesn't explain why NJ was as close as it was, tho.

Jceaz

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry. I just see people I think I would normally agree with on my side yet on the other side I see actual fascists so I get hurt whe
Yeah? The Republicans are fascists. Their party leader tried to end the Republic and they didn't only do nothing to the political agents involved, but defended them.

We're not still laboring under a delusion they're interested in the Union as a place to shelter free human beings, are we?
I mean you're still defending Kanye's music in the thread despite him being a terrible person. Pots and kettles and all that.
I'll post my face lol not afraid of that. I thought we were on the same side but I've learned that order is more important to some than justice so celebrate the "victory"? lets get BBB going. With our leverage. However. .

Status
Not open for further replies.