• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

Interested to see if this has any effect on the race. Nessel is fantastic and this guy is a nutjob.

OP
OP
SSF1991

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018

...I really feel like the GOP would be a permanent minority party if they didn't have those unfair institutional advantages. That party is just...so fucking incompetent.

Redistricting WI Court win

Something that I don't think gets attention in the gerrymandering mess is what is happening in Wi, MI, and PA. They have Dem governors now, unlike 10 years ago. If better maps do prevail in these states, that could result in Dems being able to get some more seats. It's not a guarantee, but it can happen.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Hospital staff must swear off Tylenol, Tums to get religious vaccine exemption

A hospital system in Arkansas is making it a bit more difficult for staff to receive a religious exemption from its COVID-19 vaccine mandate. The hospital is now requiring staff to also swear off extremely common medicines, such as Tylenol, Tums, and even Preparation H, to get the exemption.
"Thus," Troup went on, "we provided a religious attestation form for those individuals requesting a religious exemption," he said. The form includes a list of 30 commonly used medicines that "fall into the same category as the COVID-19 vaccine in their use of fetal cell lines," Conway Regional said.

The list includes Tylenol, Pepto Bismol, aspirin, Tums, Lipitor, Senokot, Motrin, ibuprofen, Maalox, Ex-Lax, Benadryl, Sudafed, albuterol, Preparation H, MMR vaccine, Claritin, Zoloft, Prilosec OTC, and azithromycin.

Conway Regional notes that the list includes commonly used and available drugs but that it is not an all-inclusive list of such medicines.
The intent of the form is twofold, Troup says. First, the hospital wants to ensure that staff members are sincere in their stated beliefs, he said, and second, it wants to "educate staff who might have requested an exemption without understanding the full scope of how fetal cells are used in testing and development in common medicines."
In an interview with an NBC-affiliated outlet in Arkansas, Troup noted that only about 5 percent of the hospital system's staff had filed for a religious or medical exemption and that the rest of the workforce is partially or fully vaccinated.
arstechnica.com

Hospital staff must swear off Tylenol, Tums to get religious vaccine exemption

Hospital CEO aims to educate staff on the full scope of what they're claiming.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
"the hospital wants to ensure that staff members are sincere in their stated beliefs"? They can't even point to a religious tenet they are following. Outside of being a Jehovah's Witness, citing religious grounds for not taking the vaccine is about most transparently insincere excuse out there.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
"the hospital wants to ensure that staff members are sincere in their stated beliefs"? They can't even point to a religious tenet they are following. Outside of being a Jehovah's Witness, citing religious grounds for not taking the vaccine is about most transparently insincere excuse out there.
My understanding is that a lot of states (or at least, a lot of hospital systems) are allowing a simple attestation from a pastor as sufficient evidence. I agree that it's motivated by conservative identity, not religion, but I think most people will be able to get around it. That said, they'll still have to get weekly tests, possibly at their own personal expense.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
...I really feel like the GOP would be a permanent minority party if they didn't have those unfair institutional advantages. That party is just...so fucking incompetent.

Something that I don't think gets attention in the gerrymandering mess is what is happening in Wi, MI, and PA. They have Dem governors now, unlike 10 years ago. If better maps do prevail in these states, that could result in Dems being able to get some more seats. It's not a guarantee, but it can happen.

Latest independent commission map produced today in MI favored republican control of both houses of legislature in the state. Hoping they can change some things before finalization.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017

Lucky progressives have leverage. What matters if they are willing to use it. It would seem that progressives have to be willing to stall or vote down the bipartisan infrastructure bill if they are willing to keep it close to 3.5 trillion. I think the moderates want to the bipartisan infrastructure bill more than the progressives it might be possible to pressure the moderates if they stall or willing to vote the bipartisan bill down.

OP
OP
SSF1991

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018

This is fucking ridiculous.

He was fine with this just a few months ago. He was fine with the bipartisan bill passing if it meant that a reconciliation bill passed too. The progressives had no problem with that, and this was agreed upon. All of a sudden, he's against the former, and Dems have had to deal with centrists and moderates regarding the latter.

I honestly thought it would be the progressives in Congress that would be a thorn in Biden's side for getting things passed due to the feeling that "this bill isn't enough", but they've been relatively okay with things, even when it hasn't gone perfectly. it ended up being the centrists and moderates being an absolute pain in the ass.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Lucky progressives have leverage. What matters if they are willing to use it. It would seem that progressives have to be willing to stall or vote down the bipartisan infrastructure bill if they are willing to keep it close to 3.5 trillion. I think the moderates want to the bipartisan infrastructure bill more than the progressives it might be possible to pressure the moderates if they stall or willing to vote the bipartisan bill down.
Problem is I'm not convinced Manchin actually cares THAT much about the infrastructure bill passed. I think he wants it to happen but not if it means passing a 3.5 trillion dollar reconciliation bill too. PSA touched on this recently but if the House progressives kill infrastructure because Manchin is killing this bill, he might be fine to just go home and say, hey, I tried to get something done and have that be it.

Oct 22, 2020
This is fucking ridiculous.

He was fine with this just a few months ago. He was fine with the bipartisan bill passing if it meant that a reconciliation bill passed too. The progressives had no problem with that, and this was agreed upon. All of a sudden, he's against the former, and Dems have had to deal with centrists and moderates regarding the latter.

I honestly thought it would be the progressives in Congress that would be a thorn in Biden's side for getting things passed due to the feeling that "this bill isn't enough", but they've been relatively okay with things, even when it hasn't gone perfectly. it ended up being the centrists and moderates being an absolute pain in the ass.
I mean centrists were the ones who fucked up the ACA so it's not particularly surprising.

Radical moderates are a pox on our political system.

OP
OP
SSF1991

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
Problem is I'm not convinced Manchin actually cares THAT much about the infrastructure bill passed.

I really don't think he cares at all. And I highly doubt he cares about any leverage the progressives have either.

Radical moderates are a pox on our political system.

I'm really fucking sick of them. I really hope the midterms can make them irrelevant by expanding the Dem congressional majorities...but I guess we'll see.

I've been one of the loudest proponents of the manchin cycle here but i'm losing confidence. I really hope the progressives in the House dont budge and tank the whole thing if need be. Fuck it all.
Well right now the bill in alot of ways is in the Senates hands when they come back Monday, Manchin and Biden and the rest are still actively talking and the meeting seemingly was friendly and everything just like the bill in March

The House bill most likely wasn't gonna be the bill that passes it be whatever comes out of the Senate though now Schumer and Pelosi are getting involved now that the house stuff is done to help craft whatever comes from the Senate to make sure it can pass the house.

Going by Sahil:
www.nbcnews.com

As Sanders and Manchin clash, Democratic leaders play it cool

Asked about the Vermont senator's insistence on $3.5 trillion in spending, Manchin replied: "God bless him."

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
He's trying to kill the climate change provisions. Ultimately I think this is what it's all about.
This is exactly it. He hates the climate change provisions because the oil industry lobby hates it to. Everything else he said about inflation or the deficit is just a cover for that as was evident when he couldn't make an argument when asked about it.

If Manchin wants the climate change provisions gone then I Really hope he loses his senate seat for being such a piece of shit. I know we like to point out how democrats wouldn't have a majority in the senate without him or Sinema who should also lose her senate seat. But I believe if those two lose their job as senators it would send a clear message that their type are no longer welcome in the party.

Just a decade ago democrats had to contend with a dozen manchin types but now it's just a handful so it is better for them to go altogether.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Just the thought of a lone member of your own damn party sinking a potential once in a generation piece of desperately needed legislation makes your blood boil. Because you know if Manchin gave the green light that asshole Sinema would be a yes too.

A Democrat in a shithole, irrelevant state giving the middle finger to a President of his own party and the tens of millions of American's who put him in the majority. Frustrating as hell.

One man in West Virginia can doom us to inevitable GOP control just because he feels like it.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't think he cares at all. And I highly doubt he cares about any leverage the progressives have either.

I'm really fucking sick of them. I really hope the midterms can make them irrelevant by expanding the Dem congressional majorities...but I guess we'll see.
Expand our majorities...with more moderates lol

This is exactly it. He hates the climate change provisions because the oil industry lobby hates it to. Everything else he said about inflation or the deficit is just a cover for that as was evident when he couldn't make an argument when asked about it.

If Manchin wants the climate change provisions gone then I Really hope he loses his senate seat for being such a piece of shit. I know we like to point out how democrats wouldn't have a majority in the senate without him or Sinema who should also lose her senate seat. But I believe if those two lose their job as senators it would send a clear message that their type are no longer welcome in the party.

Just a decade ago democrats had to contend with a dozen manchin types but now it's just a handful so it is better for them to go altogether.
I'd rather we keep Manchin and also flip PA and WI to make his vote irrelevant. Always better to have at least one extra Dem in our pocket vs. an extra Republican, even if it is Manchin (and also provide a small buffer for when he inevitably loses).

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
How about we wait until a vote before we all start panicking? We've seen this before numerous times with Manchin.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Take a look at this abomination of a redistricting map the Michigan independent commission just released:

8-5 Republican in a Biden state. This is supposed to be fair and equal, no? These people have no idea what they're doing.

Look at that one district that stretches from the western Upper Peninsula down to just above Lansing 😂

swf541

Oct 30, 2020
Take a look at this abomination of a redistricting map the Michigan independent commission just released:

8-5 Republican in a Biden state. This is supposed to be fair and equal, no? These people have no idea what they're doing.

Look at that one district that stretches from the western Upper Peninsula down to just above Lansing 😂

lol yes, and its blatantly illegal

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We've been trying to communicate this for years, but it was never going to be the progressives who sunk the Democratic Party after Trump was elected in 2016. Any progressive at the national level is a pure pragmatist today, even to the point where they run afoul of progressive values in an attempt to fall in with the rest of the party and get slagged on by the left in response.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's not even really the moderates who're the problem.

Centrism vs. moderation. Most of the people who're objecting to this are in very safe blue districts. Lots of moderate Trump district Dems are supporting the legislation.

Moderate is a description of an ideological preference; they believe in policies that are closer to the center, but on the (perceived, anyway) merits of those policies. Centrism is an identity, and it pushes you to be in the middle of the two groups, reality of the situation be damned. Klobuchar is a moderate, and she's moved on stuff, because she can be convinced on the merits. Manchin is a centrist, and as such, cannot be persuaded by appealing to the particular outcomes of any given decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.