• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I feel like elder's attitude on the ACA is the quiet part said loud as hell, that he felt comfortable typing hmm maybe that attitude is way more prevalent in conservative circles or in politics in general then what we would like to think and maybe that should be challenged not only in califonia but nation wise TheHunter

You're assuming elder has some moral backbone but dude was showing face and ass on right extremist networks. It is who the right are at this point and we've been slammed in the face with it for five years. This is no surprise, nor should it be. Party of racist contrarians and no more.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
You're assuming elder has some moral backbone but dude was showing face and ass on right extremist networks. It is who the right are at this point and we've been slammed in the face with it for five years. This is no surprise, nor should it be. Party of racist contrarians and no more.

And yeah, I'm here to have the elder is racist af conversation too

Edit: Fuck me was supposed to be edit. Lol my b.

Oct 27, 2017
ah the trump principal

that he was comfortable saying that and typing out on twitter tho are all republicans like that?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like elder's attitude on the ACA is the quiet part said loud as hell, that he felt comfortable typing hmm maybe that attitude is way more prevalent in conservative circles or in politics in general then what we would like to think and maybe that should be challenged not only in califonia but nation wise TheHunter
Rule of thumb, what they really think and hope is always 10x worse than what they were willing to say

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
ah the trump principal

that he was comfortable saying that and typing out on twitter tho are all republicans like that?

jKvIEgy.gif

Yes.

Edit: Fuck me I am having a hard time with the forum today hah.

OP
OP
SSF1991

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018

That didn't take long. lol

So wait, if I'm reading this right, the % win margin for this GOP seat was only half of 2020's? In...Iowa? In an off year where Dems have a trifecta in the federal government?! That's not good news for the GOP at all then.

It's also more evidence that the suburban shifts were not just a one-time thing. It seems that the GOP's shit may have permanently pushed a lot of suburban voters to vote for Dems...

Also interesting:

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
That didn't take long. lol

So wait, if I'm reading this right, the % win margin for this GOP seat was only half of 2020's? In...Iowa? In an off year where Dems have a trifecta in the federal government?! That's not good news for the GOP at all then.

It's also more evidence that the suburban shifts were not just a one-time thing. It seems that the GOP's shit may have permanently pushed a lot of suburban voters to vote for Dems...

Also interesting:

I'm hungry now

Did republicans really think that this would work?
Newsom looked like he might have been in some real trouble earlier on

OP
OP
SSF1991

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
Turnout looks really great for a recall election.

Better then 2018 levels for sure

Turnout surpassing 2018 levels, and for a recall election that happened in an off year when the Dems have a trifecta in the federal government...

When even that results in high Dem turnout (although it didn't look that way at first)...well...add it to the pile of data we've got for 2021 elections so far. But I'm gradually seeing a trend here.

Oct 25, 2017
Turnout surpassing 2018 levels, and for a recall election that happened in an off year when the Dems have a trifecta in the federal government...

When even that results in high Dem turnout (although it didn't look that way at first)...well...add it to the pile of data we've got for 2021 elections so far. But I'm gradually seeing a trend here.
Right. There's an actual level of engagement and passion on this issue, and it's kinda overwhelming. GOP fucked up.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Since Newsom and his team didn't do much until the very last two weeks, and since the majority of their strategy was to run against Larry Elder and nationalize the race...

I do want to give HUGE kudos to the voting activists and the groups that kept the story churning nationally for all these months. I want to thank them for getting people to return their ballots. I want to thank them for being well organized even given the challenges of a recall election. And I want to thank them for ensuring that the narrative was framed as accurately as it could be.

Yes, this was a slam dunk. But if Newsom had taken the optics of actions seriously in the first place, he wouldn't have even been potentially recalled.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm noticing a trend that's a bit problematic for a certain party that attached itself to a toxic individual.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
He already did.
www.resetera.com

Larry Elder launches website blaming CA Governor loss on voter fraud - before he's even lost.

https://www.businessinsider.com/larry-elder-launches-website-claiming-voter-fraud-mid-california-recall-2021-9 Grifters gonna grift!

He already started that shit way early.

Yeah, but I need to see him complain about it on TV now so i can laugh at him. The website alone isn't quite funny enough. :(

OP
OP
SSF1991

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
Right. There's an actual level of engagement and passion on this issue, and it's kinda overwhelming. GOP fucked up.

I think the only issues with turnout that I've seen was from the NYC mayor primary. Everywhere else, Dem turnout levels have been either surpassing 2018 levels or nearing/matching 2020 levels. Meanwhile, the GOP turnout just...hasn't done that. I mean, it has tried to do so on occasion, I guess? But it's clear who is more energized right now. And it is definitely not the GOP.

I'm noticing a trend that's a bit problematic for a certain party that attached itself to a toxic individual.

And said toxic individual has not gone away either. And said toxic individual continues to bring up things that remind people why said toxic individual is a toxic individual in the first place.

And they also made abortion a thing.

Oops.

The GOP has been so concerned about getting judicial short-term victories, that they have completely abandoned thinking about electoral long-term victories.

If they had simply laid low and kept quiet throughout the year, they could've possibly cooled down Dem anger and fear, and it could've resulted in Dems feeling okay with things again and getting complacent. Instead, the GOP stirred up all kinds of shit and passed all sorts of incredibly stupid and fascist state bills. So even though Trump is no longer in the White House, the energy of Dem voters never went away with him.

The GOP made this bed, and they're going to be laying in it for a while.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Are Dems finally starting to fucking understand how this all works?

* I am still aggravated at the lethargic turnout in 2000 and 2016 among others.

OP
OP
SSF1991

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018

Newsom is currently +35.

Biden was +30 last year.

Again: this is an off year when the Dems have a trifecta in the federal government. And Newsom is currently doing better than Biden. By 5%!

OP
OP
SSF1991

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
So apparently, the GOP spent $250,000,000 on this recall campaign.

And it was all for nothing.

Aug 12, 2019

Newsom is currently +35.

Biden was +30 last year.

Again: this is an off year when the Dems have a trifecta in the federal government. And Newsom is currently doing better than Biden. By 5%!

I think it's worth keeping in mind how much Republicans basically nuked any chance they had to make a "legitimate recall effort" when examining this situation too. Making Elder the face of your recall when he's been one of the most outlandish and well known conservative nut jobs in the state for decades who is terminally addicted to making the absolute worst comments every time he is on camera ensures that they had an easily identifiable enemy at the end. And similarly, CA is a state that absolutely see abortion access as essential possibly more than any other state in the US, and the recent Texas law and Supreme Court decision is so fresh that it was going to drive Democratic turnout in a huge way this election too.

I think a less insane candidate that kept things focused on anti-Newsom sentiment would have made this a more worrying Recall, but Republicans basically found ways to uniquely energize California Democrats against the recall and may have handed them the best opportunity to finally reform the Recall law in the state to avoid this from happening in the future again.

I think it's less a sign of the national environment and more of a sign of how much Republicans found a way to piss off California Democrats most effectively to actually turn them out. The abortion issue propelling turnout may carry into other suburbs, but we'd need another decent turnout election in them to see if that is notably pushing more swing-y suburbs further to the left than Trump's tenure already did.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
And they also made abortion a thing.

Oops.

I think the only issues with turnout that I've seen was from the NYC mayor primary. Everywhere else, Dem turnout levels have been either surpassing 2018 levels or nearing/matching 2020 levels. Meanwhile, the GOP turnout just...hasn't done that. I mean, it has tried to do so on occasion, I guess? But it's clear who is more energized right now. And it is definitely not the GOP.

And said toxic individual has not gone away either. And said toxic individual continues to bring up things that remind people why said toxic individual is a toxic individual in the first place.

The GOP has been so concerned about getting judicial short-term victories, that they have completely abandoned thinking about electoral long-term victories.

If they had simply laid low and kept quiet throughout the year, they could've possibly cooled down Dem anger and fear, and it could've resulted in Dems feeling okay with things again and getting complacent. Instead, the GOP stirred up all kinds of shit and passed all sorts of incredibly stupid and fascist state bills. So even though Trump is no longer in the White House, the energy of Dem voters never went away with him.

The GOP made this bed, and they're going to be laying in it for a while.
Yeah it's getting pretty obvious the Dem base is mobilized and not quieting down while the very stuff the GOP is doing to piss them off is disquieting and weakening their own turnout. Right mix of stuff should make the midterms next year interesting

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
So apparently, the GOP spent $250,000,000 on this recall campaign.

And it was all for nothing.
How much of it was fleeced out of maga donation emails though. Wonder how many idiots donated money hand over fist to Elder campaign, Trump PAC and other maga PACs.

"If you donate $100 we promise to match it 100x! But you must donate NOW! Donald is so disappointed in you."

In the end the grift lived on and some political consultants got really rich.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

apnews.com

Trump aides aim to build GOP opposition to Afghan refugees

Tens of thousands of Afghan refugees fleeing the Taliban are arriving in the U.S., and a handful of former Trump administration officials are working to turn Republicans against them.

WASHINGTON (AP) — As tens of thousands of Afghan refugees fleeing the Taliban arrive in the U.S., a handful of former Trump administration officials are working to turn Republicans against them.
The former officials are writing position papers, appearing on conservative television outlets and meeting privately with GOP lawmakers — all in an effort to turn the collapse of Afghanistan into another opportunity to push a hard-line immigration agenda.
"It is a collaboration based on mutual conviction," said Stephen Miller, the architect of President Donald Trump's most conservative immigration policies and among those engaged on the issue. "My emphasis has been in talking to members of Congress to build support for opposing the Biden administration's overall refugee plans."
The approach isn't embraced by all Republican leaders, with some calling it mean-spirited and at odds with Christian teachings that are important to the white evangelicals who play a critical role in the party's base. The strategy relies on tactics that were commonplace during Trump's tenure and that turned off many voters, including racist tropes, fear-mongering and false allegations.
And the hard-liners pay little heed to the human reality unfolding in Afghanistan, where those who worked with Americans during the war are desperate to flee for fear they could be killed by the new Taliban regime.
----------------
But the Republicans pushing the issue are betting they can open a new front in the culture wars they have been fighting since President Joe Biden's election by combining the anti-immigrant sentiment that helped fuel Trump's political rise with widespread dissatisfaction with the Afghan withdrawal. That, they hope, could keep GOP voters motivated heading into next year's midterms, when control of Congress is at stake.

"From a political standpoint, cultural issues are the most important issues that are on the mind of the American people," said Russ Vought, Trump's former budget chief and president of the Center for Renewing America, a nonprofit group that has been working on building opposition to Afghan refugee settlement in the U.S. along with other hot-button issues, like critical race theory, which considers American history through the lens of racism.
His group is working, he said, to "kind of punch through this unanimity that has existed" that the withdrawal was chaotic, but that Afghan refugees deserve to come to the U.S.

We're going to pretend there's a sizeable Evangelical base who oppose this strategy?

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

apnews.com

Trump aides aim to build GOP opposition to Afghan refugees

Tens of thousands of Afghan refugees fleeing the Taliban are arriving in the U.S., and a handful of former Trump administration officials are working to turn Republicans against them.

WASHINGTON (AP) — As tens of thousands of Afghan refugees fleeing the Taliban arrive in the U.S., a handful of former Trump administration officials are working to turn Republicans against them.
The former officials are writing position papers, appearing on conservative television outlets and meeting privately with GOP lawmakers — all in an effort to turn the collapse of Afghanistan into another opportunity to push a hard-line immigration agenda.
"It is a collaboration based on mutual conviction," said Stephen Miller, the architect of President Donald Trump's most conservative immigration policies and among those engaged on the issue. "My emphasis has been in talking to members of Congress to build support for opposing the Biden administration's overall refugee plans."
The approach isn't embraced by all Republican leaders, with some calling it mean-spirited and at odds with Christian teachings that are important to the white evangelicals who play a critical role in the party's base. The strategy relies on tactics that were commonplace during Trump's tenure and that turned off many voters, including racist tropes, fear-mongering and false allegations.
And the hard-liners pay little heed to the human reality unfolding in Afghanistan, where those who worked with Americans during the war are desperate to flee for fear they could be killed by the new Taliban regime.
----------------
But the Republicans pushing the issue are betting they can open a new front in the culture wars they have been fighting since President Joe Biden's election by combining the anti-immigrant sentiment that helped fuel Trump's political rise with widespread dissatisfaction with the Afghan withdrawal. That, they hope, could keep GOP voters motivated heading into next year's midterms, when control of Congress is at stake.

"From a political standpoint, cultural issues are the most important issues that are on the mind of the American people," said Russ Vought, Trump's former budget chief and president of the Center for Renewing America, a nonprofit group that has been working on building opposition to Afghan refugee settlement in the U.S. along with other hot-button issues, like critical race theory, which considers American history through the lens of racism.
His group is working, he said, to "kind of punch through this unanimity that has existed" that the withdrawal was chaotic, but that Afghan refugees deserve to come to the U.S.

We're going to pretend there's a sizeable Evangelical base who oppose this strategy?

I hope a bunch of them get settled right across the street from Stephen Miller.

Oct 26, 2017

I was already planning to vote in the recall election today but when I heard that "voter fraud" nonsense before a single vote had been counted and elder's batshit insane comments, I voted today with a righteous fury. Like I'm really going to vote for a guy for governor who thinks slaves were legitimate property of southerners and southerners deserve reparations for said lost property???

I still hasn't clicked for the GOP just how much being tied to the toxic individual is hurting them with 55-60% of the public. And putting up insane candidates who are popular in conservative talk radio and fire the base but who scare the shit out of normal people is a complete losing strategy when it comes to statewide or national elections. How many Ls do the GOP need to take until they realize it's a losing strategy? .

kess

Oct 27, 2017
One would only hope this is a strong enough result for parts of the House caucus to actually bind together and stop running away from success.

Status
Not open for further replies.