• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JesseEwiak I actually think this read is wrong. The law that passed is highly restrictive and the exact thing suburban whites don't like.

It's telling national GOP isn't talking about this. This will hurt them next year not help imo.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Unless you're writing or debating legislation on Afghanistan or COVID, stfu.

We don't need to wait for news cycles to get things done, this isn't the Trump admin anymore.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
JesseEwiak I actually think this read is wrong. The law that passed is highly restrictive and the exact thing suburban whites don't like.

It's telling national GOP isn't talking about this. This will hurt them next year not help imo.

Oh, this specific law is bad, politically.

I just think the idea that Democrat's in states they dominate could go as far as left as the GOP has gone right without electoral consequences is wrong, and I also think, because it's been done in a backdoor way, this isn't going to effect the midterms that much. If COVID is still a threat and the economy isn't firing on all cylinders, we're boned even if the GOP run on national anti-abortion restrictions.

Not exactly winning messages.

I mean, I think my pushback is in swing districts, they won't be running on this, and most people won't be paying that much attention. CRT is a big issue among Twitter people and Fox News watchers, not normies. The message the GOP will run on is "Biden is an old man who has bungled the recovery, and is stopping us from an economic boom because of taxes/regulations/etc." and because of the swings that happen in things like support for public spending whenever either party is in charge, it has a decent chance of working.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, this specific law is bad, politically.

I just think the idea that Democrat's in states they dominate could go as far as left as the GOP has gone right without electoral consequences is wrong, and I also think, because it's been done in a backdoor way, this isn't going to effect the midterms that much. If COVID is still a threat and the economy isn't firing on all cylinders, we're boned even if the GOP run on national anti-abortion restrictions.
Oh then yes I agree.

Shorpilled as we are.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

This is a case of the dog catching it's tail.

It is by design:

I've argued here and elsewhere for years that GOP politicians never wanted abortion overturned. Their boogeyman issue disappears instantly, and suburban/independent voters are in favor of legal abortion. It will drive them to the polls.

They aren't going to say a word about it. Another republican said it wasn't actually overturned. They're actively downplaying it purposely.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is by design:

I've argued here and elsewhere for years that GOP politicians never wanted abortion overturned. Their boogeyman issue disappears instantly, and suburban/independent voters are in favor of legal abortion. It will drive them to the polls.

They aren't going to say a word about it. Another republican said it wasn't actually overturned. They're actively downplaying it purposely.

Not gonna work.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I saw online somebody had an idea to pass laws making fathers liable for child support at 6 weeks. I'm curious to know if that would have an effect.

I agree if our media does the job they are paid to do, which I'm a bit hesitant to believe after the Afghanistan coverage debacle.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I saw online somebody had an idea to pass laws making fathers liable for child support at 6 weeks. I'm curious to know if that would have an effect.

I agree if our media does the job they are paid to do, which I'm a bit hesitant to believe after the Afghanistan coverage debacle.
Actually they could turn this into a major ratings booster so I imagine they will when they figure they can cash in the most

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Actually they could turn this into a major ratings booster so I imagine they will when they figure they can cash in the most
I still bet Fox News ignores it for as long as possible.

The GOP did this purposely because they knew Trump wasn't on the ballot in 2022 to drive voters to the polls. Arguing that their win keeps an anti-abortion law may do the trick.

kess

Oct 27, 2017

a.k.a. It's Not Political Because I'm on it

You're Old as Fuck, and you Need to Retire

Last edited:

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Abortion is a reliable carrot-on-a-stick the GOP uses to push turnout and to prevent one-issue voters on abortion from realizing how terrible the GOP are in other areas. Now that carrot's gone, or at least chewed down to a tiny nub.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Abortion is a reliable carrot-on-a-stick the GOP uses to push turnout and to prevent one-issue voters on abortion from realizing how terrible the GOP are in other areas. Now that carrot's gone, or at least chewed down to a tiny nub.

GOP has the advantage of having more single issue voters. But, Abortion has not been at forefront of people's minds because the kind of law in Texas almost always got thrown out.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Manchin can say he wants to pause as much he wants. But the longer he decides to be inactive, the longer Pelosi and House Dems can just sit on the infrastructure bill.

I think one problem though is that so much of actual GOP behavior is so over-the-top scary and dangerous that it comes across as unbelievable to a lot of voters. It reminds me of when the Obama 2012 campaign focus tested ads about Paul Ryan's budget proposal for destroying Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security, and the ads tanked because the voters just didn't actually believe those things could be real.

Granted a lot has changed in the decade since, but I still feel, especially in swing districts where we're talking about voters who either used to be Republicans themselves or live closely with Republicans in their communities, that many voters still can't see Republicans for what they are -- and that Trump, for as much revulsion as he inspired, was seen as an aberration rather than emblematic of the whole party.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

KidcN49.png

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Everything is always about the next election.
"Elect us to make sure a woman's right to choose is preserved!"
Okay, done.
"Ah, well, we need more people! Make sure you elect more of us in two years!"
No you fucking don't. Do it now.
(republicans take back the house and or senate)
Democrats:
756213386898964567.png

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Our parties are just different. Platforms don't matter anymore... It's a cult of personality. Trump has taught them something valuable- Have the 'right' person, their platforms don't matter.

Can't get away with this with the Democratic party, but the GOP? We're seeing it right now.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Our parties are just different. Platforms don't matter anymore... It's a cult of personality. Trump has taught them something valuable- Have the 'right' person, their platforms don't matter.

Can't get away with this with the Democratic party, but the GOP? We're seeing it right now.
That AND it's a party of pure grievance. Almost doesn't matter what the position is, as long as they are in lockstep opposing the librul Dems then they'll all fall in line and it doesn't matter how extreme they get. (as we've clearly seen)

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, done.
Democrats:
756213386898964567.png
Yup.

Actions -- or inactions in this case, I suppose -- speak louder than words.

Oct 29, 2017
Okay, done.
Democrats:
756213386898964567.png
It's a convenient way of never having to stand up for your campaign promises when the going gets tough.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's a convenient way of never having to stand up for your campaign promises when the going gets tough.

Can you point me to where Joe Manchin promised to break the filibuster to protect abortion rights?

That's the whole problem with the "Democrats aren't doing anything." Joe Manchin determines if the Democrat's do anything. Period.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Literally the worst week democrats have had all year and Manchin comes out with that. It's purposeful.

Oct 27, 2017
Like what reasoning would Manchin have for pulling this shit right now? What else does this blowhard, attention seeking piece of shit want?

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Manchin Cycle, please do your magic. Luckily Manchin was skeptical of the $1.9 trillion stimulus bill before he signaled his support for that (feels like a lifetime ago). At least he said "pause" and not "throw away" the bill. A delayed bill is better than no bill at all.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup.

Actions -- or inactions in this case, I suppose -- speak louder than words.

Okay, done.
Democrats:
756213386898964567.png

You guys do understand Manchin and Sinema are who you should be writing to right?

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
It's truly beyond the pale that the GOP and Mancin would pull all this shit during the week of wildfires, the hurricane, and the chaos in Afghanistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.