• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
People moving to Texas aren't necessarily voting Blue. Most seem to vote for Republicans.

How does one continue to win elections in areas, like Texas, that are restricting voting rights? It's hard to vote people out when it's getting harder and harder to vote.

The thing is people will tolerate what's going to happen to abortion rights in places like Texas where a good quarter of Dems are against abortion.

Weren't there reports of updated census data and demographic changes thwarting the GOP gerrymandering in certain states?

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People moving to Texas aren't necessarily voting Blue. Most seem to vote for Republicans.

How does one continue to win elections in areas, like Texas, that are restricting voting rights? It's hard to vote people out when it's getting harder and harder to vote.

The thing is people will tolerate what's going to happen to abortion rights in places like Texas where a good quarter of Dems are against abortion.

We don't. If the current trifecta doesn't implement voting protections, states like TX are lost. No way around it.

The importance, I hope, is being emphasized to Manchin over the next few weeks as he sees the fallout from what that state does with complete GOP control. We'll see what happens.

Weren't there reports of updated census data and demographic changes thwarting the GOP gerrymandering in certain states?

This is also true. Even with the restrictions meant to diminish Hispanic/Non-white participation in the census, the percentage of white voters is falling off a cliff. Not sure if the situation is as dire as many would argue.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
I see this thread is back to doom and gloom and dems suck and there is no hope attitude.

Yawn.

Let's ignore the massive positive changes in the last 15 years, the fact gerrymandering has already been pushed hard and dems still have a trifecta at the moment, and that there is zero proof that these voting restrictions (while I dont agree with them) is going to have some huge affect.. and and that the latest census wasnt the doom and gloom this forum said it was going to be almost every single day.

Or how a sizable amount on this forum just want a left wing version of trump, and feel because dems cant do anything about things passed AT THE STATE LEVEL that all hope is lost.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018

Not sure. I've seen reports that it won't be as bleak as people imagined but states like Texas are still going to be red for a while.

We don't. If the current trifecta doesn't implement voting protections, states like TX are lost. No way around it.

The importance, I hope, is being emphasized to Manchin over the next few weeks as he sees the fallout from what that state does with complete GOP control. We'll see what happens.

This is also true. Even with the restrictions meant to diminish Hispanic/Non-white participation in the census, the percentage of white voters is falling off a cliff. Not sure if the situation is as dire as many would argue.

Exactly. We need voter protections now.

Isn't part of the reason there are less white people is better options on the census itself? People no longer have to identify as white whereas they had to before.

I see this thread is back to doom and gloom and dems suck and there is no hope attitude.

Yawn.

Let's ignore the massive positive changes in the last 15 years, the fact gerrymandering has already been pushed hard and dems still have a trifecta at the moment, and that there is zero proof that these voting restrictions (while I dont agree with them) is going to have some huge affect.. and and that the latest census wasnt the doom and gloom this forum said it was going to be almost every single day.

Or how a sizable amount on this forum just want a left wing version of trump, and feel because dems cant do anything about things passed AT THE STATE LEVEL that all hope is lost.

They could pass voting rights protection. They could attempt to codify the right to abortion.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
They could pass voting rights protection. They could attempt to codify the right to abortion.
They, by and large, want to do exactly this.

However it requires Sinema and Manchin agreeing to nerf the filibuster. Other wise no dice (at least not before 2023 and if you want Sinema and Manchin not to be the deciding voices in this we need 52 senators so you should get ready to campaign hard for the key senate races next year). Write to Manchin and Sinema if you want to try and make a difference. Maybe you can do better convincing them than those of us who have written and called, and their colleagues in the Senate have been able to.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Honestly it kind of surprises that we aren't yet seeing concerted efforts among liberals/lefties to start migrating to states like Montana, Wyoming, and Utah. Beautiful states with abundant nature and a low cost of living that could be swung to the left politically with a modest amount of migration. They could be Vermonts of the West.

Migration into these states has been a thing for some time, people move out to these places, and then nativize their political stances with the existing culture and people around them. I would expect to see this kind of impact as 'mellowing out' a local area towards an ideological center vs. pulling it left.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
They could? Name the ten GOP Senators that would vote for that.

Alternatively, good luck persuading Manchin and Sinema to nuke the filibuster for that.

They have the ability to. Now, if they can't get Machin and Sinema to agree, that's not due to their lack of ability to do it. They lack the will.

They, by and large, want to do exactly this.

However it requires Sinema and Manchin agreeing to nerf the filibuster. Other wise no dice (at least not before 2023 and if you want Sinema and Manchin not to be the deciding voices in this we need 52 senators so you should get ready to campaign hard for the key senate races next year). Write to Manchin and Sinema if you want to try and make a difference. Maybe you can do better convincing them than those of us who have written and called, and their colleagues in the Senate have been able to.

I know it does. I know they won't agree to it either.

You are assuming I don't do many of these things already? I already organize.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Yawn.

As I see it, if Biden's administration can successfully usher both infrastructure bills and the John Lewis Act through, it's easily the most influential administration of my lifetime.

Just 3 bills. Have to get them done no matter what.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it kind of surprises that we aren't yet seeing concerted efforts among liberals/lefties to start migrating to states like Montana, Wyoming, and Utah. Beautiful states with abundant nature and a low cost of living that could be swung to the left politically with a modest amount of migration. They could be Vermonts of the West.

And with COVID having set a new precedent for remote work, it seems like it could be doable for a sizeable number of people.
SLC is one of the fastest growing cities/economies in the country. That said, SLC is just one part of the state.

Oct 22, 2020
Migration into these states has been a thing for some time, people move out to these places, and then nativize their political stances with the existing culture and people around them. I would expect to see this kind of impact as 'mellowing out' a local area towards an ideological center vs. pulling it left.
True, but it might work differently if it were a more sizable, coordinated migration instead of a trickle.

There's obviously precedent for migration as a political tool in American history. If we're never able to reform the Senate, it's going to become a necessity at some point.

SLC is one of the fastest growing cities/economies in the country. That said, SLC is just one part of the state.
For U.S. Senate purposes, a bunch of liberals flocking to SLC would be totally sufficient. And yeah, SLC is already a very liberal city, so we grow a place like that even more and it could eventually push the entire state somewhere near where we want to go.

I mean, look at Virginia. Its political transformation is entirely because of NoVa. And the same for Nevada and Vegas.

Lil Boat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (permanent): Advocating for the murder of politicians
So Congressional Democrats would deserve to be murdered during another 1/6 style insurrection for not moving as quickly as you would like on investigating the last one?

I do. They should reap what they sow. From where I'm standing they haven't accomplished jack-shit in the 8 months since the biggest attack on our Capital. To this day they are using language stating that they *might* subpoena someone knowing full fucking well that the GOP will stone-wall like they've done the past 4 years. If they want to turn a blind eye to the Domestic Terrorists they work with then they 100% deserve whats coming to them.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
They have the ability to. Now, if they can't get Machin and Sinema to agree, that's not due to their lack of ability to do it. They lack the will.

I have no idea how you have come to this conclusion. There have been plenty of attempts to convince them to get on board in public from the President, plenty of people in the house, the senate majority leader, and I'm sure many more in private.

I know it does. I know they won't agree to it either.

You are assuming I don't do many of these things already? I already organize.
I'm giving you the path to make a difference. If you're already on it, (or partly so) then good for you. Far too many people complain that the 'democrats' aren't doing anything, when they're doing plenty that is solely being blocked by Manchin and Sinema (and I'm talking about the house passing multiple bills designed to fight this stuff, Biden doing what he can by executive action, etc etc).

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I have no idea how you have come to this conclusion. There have been plenty of attempts to convince them to get on board in public from the President, plenty of people in the house, the senate majority leader, and I'm sure many more in private.

As in the only thing stopping them is the will of two Senators. As in it's not illegal to remove the filibuster, for example.

I'm giving you the path to make a difference. If you're already on it, (or partly so) then good for you. Far too many people complain that the 'democrats' aren't doing anything, when they're doing plenty that is solely being blocked by Manchin and Sinema (and I'm talking about the house passing multiple bills designed to fight this stuff, Biden doing what he can by executive action, etc etc).

I am.

I expect more from my politicians at all levels.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
As in the only thing stopping them is the will of two Senators. As in it's not illegal to remove the filibuster, for example.

I am.

I expect more from my politicians at all levels.
What are your politicians not doing that you want them to be doing? Not asking rhetorically. If they aren't advocating or voting for this stuff, then by all means directly tell them that if you aren't already. The democrats that represent me are doing plenty on these specific issues. Markey and Warren aren't the problem here. Neither is Biden. Nor Bill Keating. Nor Susan Moran.

I can't say the same for Governor Baker or my State rep Xiarhos though, but they aren't democrats.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
What are your politicians not doing that you want them to be doing? Not asking rhetorically. If they aren't advocating or voting for this stuff, then by all means directly tell them that if you aren't already. The democrats that represent me are doing plenty on these specific issues.

Democrats don't represent me at the national level in my state.

The ones who do at the local level are not doing anything to help the unhoused, defunding the police or even checking police brutality, etc. They aren't doing a lot of what I want. I know some of what I want is unpopular so I don't expect all of what I want to be acted on.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
I do. They should reap what they sow.

So...because these democratically elected representatives failed to investigate an attempt to violently remove them from office, they deserve to be violently removed from office?

Because they failed to investigate A, a bad thing, A is what should happen to them?

Am I losing my mind or does this bother anyone else

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
So...because these democratically elected representatives failed to investigate an attempt to violently remove them from office, they deserve to be violently removed from office?

Because they failed to investigate A, a bad thing, A is what should happen to them?

Am I losing my mind or does this bother anyone else

That is why I asked in the first place. "They deserve to be killed for taking too long on an investigation" seems a rather extreme position to me, but clearly different strokes for different folks.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
The way so many cities are constructed in Texas and Oklahoma make them less likely to make the kinds of shifts we've seen in Virginia, because they are surrounded by exurb upon exurb, and that's a pattern that's really hard to change until generations have passed.

There's not much insight into why Vermont has kept voting Democratic despite having similar demographics as many midwestern states, but having its own culture and reasonably prosperous small towns with distinct industries has something to do with it. Unlike the rest of the country which has ailing towns and confederate flags ten miles out from anywhere, Vermont has it's own Public Radio service which can be heard in every corner of the state.

Going all in on something like Air America was always a mistake when creating a regional alternative to Foxland is the real ticket.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
More Texas shit:

edition.cnn.com

Confusion reigns in Texas as new law aims to restrict how race and history are taught in schools | CNN

A new Texas law aimed at restricting discussions of race and history in schools has some educators second guessing themselves and forgoing civics-related activities to avoid running afoul of it.

San Antonio, Texas (CNN) - A new Texas law aimed at restricting discussions of race and history in schools has some educators second guessing themselves and forgoing civics-related activities to avoid running afoul of it.
HB3979, one of the legislative efforts to ban critical race theory in American classrooms, went into effect Wednesday as schools in the Lone Star State continue to be embroiled in debates over mask mandates. While some school districts are waiting for official guidance on what the law means for them, others are making curriculum changes "out of caution."
The law states that social studies teachers can't "require" or include in their courses, the concept that "one race or sex is inherently superior to another race or sex" or the concept that "an individual, by virtue of the individual's race or sex, is inherently racist, sexist or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously."

It also notes that "a teacher may not be compelled to discuss a particular current event or widely debated and currently controversial issue of public policy or social affairs." Teachers, according to the bill, can't require or give extra credit for a student's political activism.
CNN spoke to nearly two dozen school districts across the state of Texas about how HB 3979 already was impacting their plans for the school year. In College Station, some government teachers won't be asking students to take notes at city public meetings for a grade. Elementary school students in Leander won't be asking students to write letters addressing lawmakers anymore. In Keller, some resources offered online to students, including ebooks and news articles have been temporarily removed.
Officials at a school district about 30 miles north of Dallas decided to stop offering course credit to middle school students participating in a renowned nationwide civil engagement program "out of an abundance of caution." The change was first reported by the Texas Tribune.
For the past couple of years, students in two middle schools at the McKinney Independent School District were enrolled in an elective course that allowed them to spend several days a week researching and writing legislative bills that could fix issues in their communities. They would then present and debate their bills in a mock legislature and election process organized by the YMCA's Youth and Government program.
After HB3979 passed this summer, school officials decided the schools should only offer the Youth and Government program as an extracurricular activity as five other campuses in the district have been doing, said Cody Cunningham, the district's chief communications officer.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
What are these "leaked calls" from Biden with him about AFG perception?
MH retweeting with commentary, but I haven't seen other reporting I guess

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
More Texas shit:

edition.cnn.com

Confusion reigns in Texas as new law aims to restrict how race and history are taught in schools | CNN

A new Texas law aimed at restricting discussions of race and history in schools has some educators second guessing themselves and forgoing civics-related activities to avoid running afoul of it.

San Antonio, Texas (CNN) - A new Texas law aimed at restricting discussions of race and history in schools has some educators second guessing themselves and forgoing civics-related activities to avoid running afoul of it.
HB3979, one of the legislative efforts to ban critical race theory in American classrooms, went into effect Wednesday as schools in the Lone Star State continue to be embroiled in debates over mask mandates. While some school districts are waiting for official guidance on what the law means for them, others are making curriculum changes "out of caution."
The law states that social studies teachers can't "require" or include in their courses, the concept that "one race or sex is inherently superior to another race or sex" or the concept that "an individual, by virtue of the individual's race or sex, is inherently racist, sexist or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously."

It also notes that "a teacher may not be compelled to discuss a particular current event or widely debated and currently controversial issue of public policy or social affairs." Teachers, according to the bill, can't require or give extra credit for a student's political activism.
CNN spoke to nearly two dozen school districts across the state of Texas about how HB 3979 already was impacting their plans for the school year. In College Station, some government teachers won't be asking students to take notes at city public meetings for a grade. Elementary school students in Leander won't be asking students to write letters addressing lawmakers anymore. In Keller, some resources offered online to students, including ebooks and news articles have been temporarily removed.
Officials at a school district about 30 miles north of Dallas decided to stop offering course credit to middle school students participating in a renowned nationwide civil engagement program "out of an abundance of caution." The change was first reported by the Texas Tribune.
For the past couple of years, students in two middle schools at the McKinney Independent School District were enrolled in an elective course that allowed them to spend several days a week researching and writing legislative bills that could fix issues in their communities. They would then present and debate their bills in a mock legislature and election process organized by the YMCA's Youth and Government program.
After HB3979 passed this summer, school officials decided the schools should only offer the Youth and Government program as an extracurricular activity as five other campuses in the district have been doing, said Cody Cunningham, the district's chief communications officer.

Fascist politicians and spineless educators. Such a wonderful thing that this is the state that controls what's in the entire country's textbooks...

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It is actually a lack of ability. There's nothing that Biden and Schumer can pressure someone like Manchin with. Manchin answers to his voters and he's the only Dem they like! There's no incentive for him to do anything for the sake of Biden, Schumer, the Democratic Party, or the country at large, unless it's something he also already wants.

Manchin is in the guy who met with civil rights activists and told them to their face that he wouldn't change the filibuster for the sake of voting rights. This is the guy who met with workers and labor activists and told them to their faces he wouldn't support a $15 minimum wage. How do you pressure a guy like that? He's in his own universe, can do what he wants and nobody can do anything about it, until we either elect more Dems to the Senate or somehow flip a Trump +40 state into a deep-blue oasis of progressives.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017

There was also data in TX specifically during the Cruz/Beto race that showed that all the Democratic growth was coming from Texans, and that people who moved from other states may have been favoring Cruz. (Something like that...let me see if I can find some links).

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

And with COVID having set a new precedent for remote work, it seems like it could be doable for a sizeable number of people.
The numbers required to flip these states are just ridiculously high, well beyond what anyone could ever hope to achieve with such an effort. Just to flip Wyoming you'd need to move at least 100k people at the bare minimum, and that's more than 1 out of every 6 people currently in the state. You also have to consider that the state would most likely grow significantly by doing this which would make the math even harder politically and would cut into most of the potential cost savings since it would involve building a lot of new homes and infrastructure. You have to assume that not many people are going to be willing to move to a new place far from family where familiar local culture and support groups will need to be built by the newcomers. Add on the fact that not everyone who would move there would actually vote and would do so for Democratic causes... which is itself highly questionable.

It's just some alternate political left John Galt fantasy and doesn't reflect any reasons why people live where they do

Lil Boat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is why I asked in the first place. "They deserve to be killed for taking too long on an investigation" seems a rather extreme position to me, but clearly different strokes for different folks.

To me it seems like they're more than willing to run out the clock and do jackshit involving investigating 1/6. We literally had Madison Cawthrown yesterday talking about how there are active plans to overthrow the Government and to me it seems like the Democratic response is to look the other way. If you wan't to actively ignore someone telling you they are actively planning on killing you, then I do think you deserve what comes your way.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
To me it seems like they're more than willing to run out the clock and do jackshit involving investigating 1/6. We literally had Madison Cawthrown yesterday talking about how there are active plans to overthrow the Government and to me it seems like the Democratic response is to look the other way. If you wan't to actively ignore someone telling you they are actively planning on killing you, then I do think you deserve what comes your way.

what the hell are you even on about?

they are literally asking telecom companies for phone records as we speak, investigations take time and it's only been like a month since they had their first meeting(and most of the stuff they are doing won't be public, for example I think they've had a person or two testify before them in a non public setting already)

Last edited:

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I know I'm late on the Texas/Roe stuff, but it has always appeared to me that we were headed back to a polarized country of solid blue states and solid red states that allowed/disallowed certain activities (e.g., abortion will be banned in Texas and other red states but allowed in blue states, etc.).

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Democrats don't represent me at the national level in my state.

The ones who do at the local level are not doing anything to help the unhoused, defunding the police or even checking police brutality, etc. They aren't doing a lot of what I want. I know some of what I want is unpopular so I don't expect all of what I want to be acted on.
"defunding the police"... OK.

I don't see that happening in a GOP state, do you? You seem intent on blaming the Dems though, for some reason.

As someone else has said, investigations are ongoing for 1/6, but I'll agree these things take way too long with Dems. OK, they got the second impeachment, but ultimately that's toothless anyway.

Here's how these things tend to go:

GOP:

1. Stack the committee. Don't care how it looks.
2. Subpoena next day.
3. Person shows up for interview day after.
4. Report out the day after that.

Obviously I'm exaggerating... slightly.

Dems:

1. Talk about forming a committee.
2. Talk some more.
3. Try to give GOP veto power, or other major concessions, so it doesn't look "partisan".
4. Don't subpoena, because you know they won't show up and we won't do anything about it, so spend a few more months doing paperwork.

And so on. It's a glacial pace compared to how the GOP does it.

Remember that the GOP playing by a different set of rules is what got us "her emails", Trump, a lost SC, etc.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

I don't see that happening in a GOP state, do you? You seem intent on blaming the Dems though, for some reason.

As someone else has said, investigations are ongoing for 1/6, but I'll agree these things take way too long with Dems. OK, they got the second impeachment, but ultimately that's toothless anyway.

GOP:

2. Subpoena next day.

Dems:

2. Talk some more.
3. Try to give GOP veto power, or other major concessions, so it doesn't look "partisan".
4. Don't subpoena, because you know they won't show up and we won't do anything about it, so spend a few more months doing paperwork.

Remember that the GOP playing by a different set of rules is what got us "her emails", Trump, a lost SC, etc.

I think you're under a bit of a misconception over how slow of a process throwing together a House committee and having it do an investigation is

here's the Benghazi one:

it was formed a year and a half after the Benghazi attack and then it took them over 2 years to release their main report

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
The Jan 6th committee should release bombs strategically, likely close to midterms. Fuck doing the right thing.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if it has been said today, but Roe is a big enough issue to where it probably would swing 2022 elections to democrats.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're under a bit of a misconception over how slow of a process throwing together a House committee and having it do an investigation is

here's the Benghazi one:

it was formed a year and a half after the Benghazi attack and then it took them over 2 years to release their main report
There is also a political incentive (as Republicans well know themselves) to dragging out investigations with obvious implications for one party...but ssshh we're not supposed to say that part out loud!

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018

GOP:

2. Subpoena next day.

Dems:

2. Talk some more.

I don't see it happening in a blue state either, honestly.

I mean blaming Dems for doing largely nothing to check police brutality, for instance, makes sense especially since most of the big cities where said brutality often happens are run by Dems. Defunding isn't popular, I know, so I'm not expecting them to do that even if it's what I want.

Not sure why you are talking about putting together committees about 1/6. I didn't say anything about that.

Aug 12, 2019
I think it's absolutely reasonable to have an expectation that the systems of the US government are on more or less a guaranteed path to failure and that's not inherently being a doomer or being an accelerationist. I mean, it's not really a debate anymore, the systems are broken and so many of them are broken beyond repair and we are seeing areas where Dems aren't meeting the moment and effectively bailing the sinking ship. If Democrats want to go the slow incremental change route, then they really can't afford to hope things turn out their way. They have to pass Voting Rights, there is no alternative option in what be a crucial midterm for the party's longevity moving forward (2024's Senate map will be rougher too, so they need to be prepared to lose Manchin and Tester if Republicans really drum up support). The Senate is an institution that absolutely is broken as shit and has to be reformed. One easy way Dems just abandoned immediately was DC Statehood. Whoever says Manchin always comes around when it matters just conveniently forgets he more or less guaranteed that died despite being one of the best objective realities to combat the inherent right leaning partisan favor-ability of the Senate. And like busting the filibuster if Dems have their single best Senatorial midterm of all time and walk away with 54 seats or something kind of means so very little if they lose the House too which as it stands is looking grim and there are tons of opportunities for Dems to lose seats in Redistricting and limited ones to pick up.

Not everything can be fixed when the rot is set that deep and the reality is the US is speed running its way towards a failed state as is. I don't imagine a socialist utopia will rise from the ashes, but I think it's either we pivot to a broader socialism that works for everyone or we devolve into barbarism, but I think neoliberal incrmentalism and capitalism is at its genuine end and collapsing under the weight of its own failures that it directly created. And trying to save it on the basis of future elections uses up the resource that is the most valuable and most costly to waste for oh so many people and that kills movements of change, time. We don't have a lot of it, and that means incrementalism is an even worse value proposition than before. There may need to seriously be a reality where more serious revolution has to occur because its the only alternative. Change can absolutely happen quickly when it is necessary and it may not be pretty, but it may be the only option to stave off fascism because electoral neoliberal capitalism and politics is failing completely to live up to that task.

Feb 14, 2018
The 1/6 commission is actually moving pretty quickly. Especially compared to the Benghazi commission which for some reason people love to use as evidence that the GOP is somehow better at something. For reference, the Benghazi attack happened in September 2012 and the committee was formed in May 2014.

But then you get posts like this:

GOP:

2. Subpoena next day.

If Dems don't have a "her emails" equivalent after six months they're a huge failure, never mind that the GOP literally took 3 years to get to that point -- over a year and a half counting from the creation of the commission. Never mind that the 1/6 committee is actually investigating something that happened with the aim of uncovering actual information instead of only being a vehicle for political attacks against the opposition.

I'm not trying to pick on Sheepinator, but there's a perception that the Dems haven't done anything simply because they haven't already arrested the entire GOP or something, which occasionally manifests in the types of gross and ignorant posts that got someone permabanned on this page.

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's absolutely reasonable to have an expectation that the systems of the US government are on more or less a guaranteed path to failure and that's not inherently being a doomer or being an accelerationist. I mean, it's not really a debate anymore, the systems are broken and so many of them are broken beyond repair and we are seeing areas where Dems aren't meeting the moment and effectively bailing the sinking ship. If Democrats want to go the slow incremental change route, then they really can't afford to hope things turn out their way. They have to pass Voting Rights, there is no alternative option in what be a crucial midterm for the party's longevity moving forward (2024's Senate map will be rougher too, so they need to be prepared to lose Manchin and Tester if Republicans really drum up support). The Senate is an institution that absolutely is broken as shit and has to be reformed. One easy way Dems just abandoned immediately was DC Statehood. Whoever says Manchin always comes around when it matters just conveniently forgets he more or less guaranteed that died despite being one of the best objective realities to combat the inherent right leaning partisan favor-ability of the Senate. And like busting the filibuster if Dems have their single best Senatorial midterm of all time and walk away with 54 seats or something kind of means so very little if they lose the House too which as it stands is looking grim and there are tons of opportunities for Dems to lose seats in Redistricting and limited ones to pick up.

Not everything can be fixed when the rot is set that deep and the reality is the US is speed running its way towards a failed state as is. I don't imagine a socialist utopia will rise from the ashes, but I think it's either we pivot to a broader socialism that works for everyone or we devolve into barbarism, but I think neoliberal incrmentalism and capitalism is at its genuine end and collapsing under the weight of its own failures that it directly created. And trying to save it on the basis of future elections uses up the resource that is the most valuable and most costly to waste for oh so many people and that kills movements of change, time. We don't have a lot of it, and that means incrementalism is an even worse value proposition than before. There may need to seriously be a reality where more serious revolution has to occur because its the only alternative. Change can absolutely happen quickly when it is necessary and it may not be pretty, but it may be the only option to stave off fascism because electoral neoliberal capitalism and politics is failing completely to live up to that task.
This is a much more elegant way of what I was trying to get across earlier in my posts. I get that we are on a message board and we can't effect change here but there sometimes feels like a lack of urgency or concern.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is a good post, really well-said.

Kilgore Trout

Oct 25, 2017
As shitty as the abortion news is, it will definitely motivate a lot of dem voters. Repubs are playing with fire here. They typically use the abortion issue to drive turnout. If they have already "won" some of those single issue voters won't be as motivated while Dems and centrist voters will be pissed (especially women obviously).

Dems would be smart to nationalize this Texas news. 6 weeks is absolutely ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.