• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
175e8c26f0493b42c2e478acda56845c.gif

I dont think it's an outlier!!! I been saying Nikki Fried is actually a decent candidate by Florida standards (much better than Crist). Only dem to compete statewide and win.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen people in here mention it numerous times already as a suggestion, but what is the stated reason or argument against implementing a proof of vaccination for ALL air travel? Is it unconstitutional or something?

Seems like it would dramatically boost the vax numbers and be the one thing that would get millions of idiots who won't take it to do so.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I've seen people in here mention it numerous times already as a suggestion, but what is the stated reason or argument against implementing a proof of vaccination for ALL air travel? Is it unconstitutional or something?

Seems like it would dramatically boost the vax numbers and be the one thing that would get millions of idiots who won't take it to do so.
I don't know, but such a rule would I'm sure be done like similar things elsewhere: proof of vaccination or proof of recent negative test, or in rare cases an exemption. And doing the latter over and over would probably be very expensive, since it should presumably be done by a professional, with a signed doc confirming the result, rather than a self-administered test. On my recent international trip the four tests I was required to take cost me a total of $400, and I'm fully vaxxed. I'd have liked a vax passport then.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

Not sure. But I'd imagine the logisitics of implemeting a relatively seamless verification system is daunting given there is no central database and it would depend on states participating. Imagine if TX or FL refuses to participate.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021

I believe the CDC can recommend it, and then the FAA/TSA would be the ones to require it based on CDC recommendation.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
What? Masking for children has definitely been a thing in the UK. In Scotland, masks are currently required for 12+ (they go to high school, 5-11 go to primary school), and under 12's can wear a mask if they want.
I'm just relaying what she said to me. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Scotland was handling this much better than England. According to her daughters only a couple of kids at their primary school wore masks last year.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

We already require vaccines for travel to *certain* countries, so it definitely can't be unconstitutional.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
So, California has a QR code system for vaccines, but it doesn't work out of state. Meanwhile I'm in France for the summer, which is finally forcing everyone to get their EU-based vaccine certificates scanned for entry to every restaurant/theater/etc, and thankfully I have my laminated CDC card which everyone accepts as "Eh, that works." And I'll still need to have a negative test within 72 hours of flying back to the States.

It's all a mess.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure. But I'd imagine the logisitics of implemeting a relatively seamless verification system is daunting given there is no central database and it would depend on states participating. Imagine if TX or FL refuses to participate.
I'm not talking about states. I'm asking why Delta, AA etc don't come out and say "you can't get on our planes unless you're vaccinated?"

Feels like that would be the kick in the ass necessary to move a hell of a lot of hesitant people.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
So, California has a QR code system for vaccines, but it doesn't work out of state. Meanwhile I'm in France for the summer, which is finally forcing everyone to get their EU-based vaccine certificates scanned for entry to every restaurant/theater/etc, and thankfully I have my laminated CDC card which everyone accepts as "Eh, that works." And I'll still need to have a negative test within 72 hours of flying back to the States.

It's all a mess.
In case you weren't aware, the US works on a 3 calendar day rule, not 72 hours (as some do). And the US is one of the few countries which accepts antigen lateral flow test as being acceptable for entry, which is cheaper and faster than the PCR.

www.theonion.com

More Cities Requiring Residents To Root Around In Bag For Vaccine Card Until Bartender Feels Bad And Caves

NEW YORK—In an effort to reduce the spread of the highly transmissible Covid Delta variant, more cities around the nation have reportedly enacted measures this week requiring residents to root around in their bag looking for their vaccine card until the bartender feels bad and caves. “With this...

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm not talking about states. I'm asking why Delta, AA etc don't come out and say "you can't get on our planes unless you're vaccinated?"

Feels like that would be the kick in the ass necessary to move a hell of a lot of hesitant people.
I see. Yeah still same issue I'd think. What system is there to verify that status and will the various state health boards allow that type of access? I know they're built for it, which is how they're provided for say school or university enrollment, but we all know Covid is being treated differently here.

And the airlines probably don't want to act without some sort of stronger backing because ultimately, they want as many people flying as possible.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
In case you weren't aware, the US works on a 3 calendar day rule, not 72 hours (as some do). And the US is one of the few countries which accepts antigen lateral flow test as being acceptable for entry, which is cheaper and faster than the PCR.

www.theonion.com

More Cities Requiring Residents To Root Around In Bag For Vaccine Card Until Bartender Feels Bad And Caves

NEW YORK—In an effort to reduce the spread of the highly transmissible Covid Delta variant, more cities around the nation have reportedly enacted measures this week requiring residents to root around in their bag looking for their vaccine card until the bartender feels bad and caves. “With this...

Thanks for the info, but I'll still be checking the State Department rules right up until my flight in mid-September, and I'll most likely get a PCR test at my local pop-up place. Appreciate it!

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Thanks for the info, but I'll still be checking the State Department rules right up until my flight in mid-September, and I'll most likely get a PCR test at my local pop-up place. Appreciate it!
Absolutely. It's stressful keeping up. That info is from the CDC page on travel, and I just got back into the country with the antigen test. I got the result and a PDF certifying it in 40 minutes, at the airport I was flying from.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I see. Yeah still same issue I'd think. What system is there to verify that status and will the various state health boards allow that type of access? I know they're built for it, which is how they're provided for say school or university enrollment, but we all know Covid is being treated differently here.

And the airlines probably don't want to act without some sort of stronger backing because ultimately, they want as many people flying as possible.
I guess just by asking for the vaccine card like they do for an I.D. or passport. And then trust that people aren't forging them which could be a problem I suppose.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
How does that "completely ignore" kids and immune compromised people? In my example everyone had been required to get PCR tests, the gold standard of tests, which I'm reading are 97.2% accurate. They also boast of having a better air filtration system than an operating theater. Tell me how I'd be putting any masked person at risk if I wasn't wearing my mask (and to be clear, I was), and why at the same time as that we allow cinemas and restaurants to be open to 100% capacity with no pre-testing requirements and inferior air filtering, and masks not necessarily required either. How does that make sense?

The CDC guidance specifically states those not fully vaccinated should wear masks indoors, and those who are fully vaccinated should still consider it. What's wrong with that guidance? If you're talking about how you think people may choose to read into it, or how the media may spin it, well I'm really not sure that should be the domain of the CDC.
I don't agree with the cinemas and restaurants. I do agree with the airport and flights decision to be extremely precautious to reduce the spread especially given how many people across the globe they interact with.

I would've preferred the CDC to have given some advice such as setting metrics of what rate of vaccination in a community was needed to lift certain restrictions such as masks. Masks were advertised to the public as protecting others and your community, not just yourself. Instead the Biden administration went full 'independence from covid' marketing for July 4th. Based upon marketing and businesses following cdc guidelines a lot felt like Covid was over. It's not the worst yet but it is far from over with the pandemic.

I would've liked to had seen vaccines approves for kids 12 and under and immune compromised before we started advertising Covid being over. I moved to a blue area at the start of the year and most were still wearing masks and were pretty upset over the mask guidance changes as they felt they were way too soon.

As someone who worked through the pandemic and dealt with the general public on a daily basis; I was harassed multiple times a day about masks from customers. Things finally had calmed down and people had generally accepted wearing masks in spring 2021. When the CDC lifted that guidance it reignited the division and animosity towards other people. People fully valued that didn't wear masks were harassed and bullied by people wearing masks. While people wearing masks were harassed and bullied by customers who weren't wearing masks. So good luck getting a lot of these people to wear masks again.

Keeping safety and healthy restrictions for longer wouldn't have hurt anyone. My coworker likely would still be alive today as he was immune compromised and couldn't get vaccinated. It also was frustrating, as I chose to continue wearing a mask because I was worried about my father who was immune compromised, had stage 4 cancer, and couldn't get fully vaccinated, to be harassed by people constantly pressuring me to take my mask off. However, he ended up passing away about a month ago as well. Perhaps it's because my father passed away that has changed my disposition but I can't help but feel complaints such as 'I had to wear a mask for 8 hours on an international flight' to be peak privilege.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Absolutely. It's stressful keeping up. That info is from the CDC page on travel, and I just got back into the country with the antigen test. I got the result and a PDF certifying it in 40 minutes, at the airport I was flying from.

I'm likely heading to England for approximately a week next month and the test requirements are an absolute headache to parse.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm likely heading to England for approximately a week next month and the test requirements are an absolute headache to parse.
I just did that. PCR test within 3 calendar days, and you need to fill out an online Passenger Locator Form. Not sure if they want you to self-quarantine and pre-pay for a day 2 self-test too. I think they may have just waived that if you have an FDA or EU approved vaccination.

Be sure to quiz whomever is doing your test about exactly how long it'll take. For instance, I checked with Walgreens which would apparently do my PCR test covered by insurance, and they advertised results in 24-48 hours. However, that's how long the lab takes. I was flying out on a Tuesday, and I called my local store to check that a weekend test would be on the same schedule, and they told me you can be tested on Sat or Sun, but the sample isn't sent to the lab until Monday (afternoon, presumably) then 1-2 days from there. In other words, useless. The prices also vary greatly. Local to me, I found prices for PCR testing for travel ranging from $85-$250. The cheapest one was actually perfect. Great service, got the result in 4-6 hours, and a PDF with my passport number on it.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I just did that. PCR test within 3 calendar days, and you need to fill out an online Passenger Locator Form. Not sure if they want you to self-quarantine and pre-pay for a day 2 self-test too. I think they may have just waived that if you have an FDA or EU approved vaccination.

Be sure to quiz whomever is doing your test about exactly how long it'll take. For instance, I checked with Walgreens which would apparently do my PCR test covered by insurance, and they advertised results in 24-48 hours. However, that's how long the lab takes. I was flying out on a Tuesday, and I called my local store to check that a weekend test would be on the same schedule, and they told me you can be tested on Sat or Sun, but the sample isn't sent to the lab until Monday (afternoon, presumably) then 1-2 days from there. In other words, useless. The prices also vary greatly. Local to me, I found prices for PCR testing for travel ranging from $85-$250. The cheapest one was actually perfect. Great service, got the result in 4-6 hours, and a PDF with my passport number on it.
No quarantine needs, but a day 2 PCR test is required on arrival. I'll be going to a large event not long before flying, so I want to expedite the day 2 test as much as possible so that I know I'm negative before I see my 90+ year old grandma. So I'm trying to find in person testing I can do on the Saturday we land (to get results the next day), vs right before we're flying back. I'm hoping to get everything booked and paid up front.

We *may* be able to get free testing done before we fly out but the question there is as you say if you can get results in time. Price is secondary to timely results. We'll be using the free option after we get back and do the 3-5 days after travel test that is recommended (though not required as I understand).

So yeah. PCR test three days before flying. PCR test on landing. Lateral flow test three days before flying back.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I don't agree with the cinemas and restaurants. I do agree with the airport and flights decision to be extremely precautious to reduce the spread especially given how many people across the globe they interact with.

I would've preferred the CDC to have given some advice such as setting metrics of what rate of vaccination in a community was needed to lift certain restrictions such as masks. Masks were advertised to the public as protecting others and your community, not just yourself. Instead the Biden administration went full 'independence from covid' marketing for July 4th. Based upon marketing and businesses following cdc guidelines a lot felt like Covid was over. It's not the worst yet but it is far from over with the pandemic.

I would've liked to had seen vaccines approves for kids 12 and under and immune compromised before we started advertising Covid being over. I moved to a blue area at the start of the year and most were still wearing masks and were pretty upset over the mask guidance changes as they felt they were way too soon.

As someone who worked through the pandemic and dealt with the general public on a daily basis; I was harassed multiple times a day about masks from customers. Things finally had calmed down and people had generally accepted wearing masks in spring 2021. When the CDC lifted that guidance it reignited the division and animosity towards other people. People fully valued that didn't wear masks were harassed and bullied by people wearing masks. While people wearing masks were harassed and bullied by customers who weren't wearing masks. So good luck getting a lot of these people to wear masks again.

Keeping safety and healthy restrictions for longer wouldn't have hurt anyone. My coworker likely would still be alive today as he was immune compromised and couldn't get vaccinated. It also was frustrating, as I chose to continue wearing a mask because I was worried about my father who was immune compromised, had stage 4 cancer, and couldn't get fully vaccinated, to be harassed by people constantly pressuring me to take my mask off. However, he ended up passing away about a month ago as well. Perhaps it's because my father passed away that has changed my disposition but I can't help but feel complaints such as 'I had to wear a mask for 8 hours on an international flight' to be peak privilege.
"peak privilege" and "reduce the spread"? What spread, in this scenario? I'm not sure you're grasping that everyone on the plane has tested negative. Meanwhile you can get on a plane from TX or FL and go anywhere in the US with no pre-testing required and no vaccination checks and no testing after arrival, so absolutely keeps masks there. But when everyone has tested negative and are being asked to self-quarantine and test on day 2 after arrival too (as I was), it's theater, especially considering all the far far riskier things we allow, such as cinemas and restaurants at 100% capacity with no masks.

I think locally to me the change in public perception you're talking about was when the Governor did away with mask mandates, rather than whatever the CDC or Biden said. It sucks that some idiots respond the way you describe, but again that's still not on the CDC. Their position should be aligned with the data as best as possible, not an attempt at social engineering.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
"peak privilege" and "reduce the spread"? What spread, in this scenario? I'm not sure you're grasping that everyone on the plane has tested negative. Meanwhile you can get on a plane from TX or FL and go anywhere in the US with no pre-testing required and no vaccination checks and no testing after arrival, so absolutely keeps masks there. But when everyone has tested negative and are being asked to self-quarantine and test on day 2 after arrival too (as I was), it's theater, especially considering all the far far riskier things we allow, such as cinemas and restaurants at 100% capacity with no masks.

I think locally to me the change in public perception you're talking about was when the Governor did away with mask mandates, rather than whatever the CDC or Biden said. It sucks that some idiots respond the way you describe, but again that's still not on the CDC. Their position should be aligned with the data as best as possible, not an attempt at social engineering.

'social engineering' is exactly what they tried to do. Dropping masking 'for vaccinated' thinking it would motivate people to get vaccinated. They just got it wrong. They've admitted as much.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Had a friend go to a concert last week that was "both proof of vaccine AND masks required", and he said they didn't check shit, and no one was wearing a mask, and it wasn't enforced at all. So, yeah, shitshow's gonna continue.

Oct 27, 2017
Had a friend go to a concert last week that was "both proof of vaccine AND masks required", and he said they didn't check shit, and no one was wearing a mask, and it wasn't enforced at all. So, yeah, shitshow's gonna continue.

a few weeks back i went to a show where they did check, and turned vaccinated friends away who didn't have proof, and maybe 75% or more did wear masks during the show. So…some days and places will be better than others (and it felt really good to be back at a show)

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I had to double take that tweet to make sure he didn't accidentally add a zero? How the fuck are there >20k Americans over there at this point anyway? Who are these people? What are they doing?

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I had to double take that tweet to make sure he didn't accidentally add a zero? How the fuck are there >20k Americans over there at this point anyway? Who are these people? What are they doing?

The last figure I read (days ago) was 15k. But maybe that includes troops.

Status
Not open for further replies.