• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yup, even if some people were right that a populist economics nominee would get us the biggest win, Leftist Campaigning Jesus might get us to 55% in the two-way vote nationwide. Maybe. People just refuse to get that much of the country, even if you directly help them, doesn't care about that. Doesn't mean we shouldn't do that, but there is no world where some perfect candidate (white dude, ex-veteran, perfect family, etc.) comes in and passes Medicare for All, free college, fights against trade, etc. and has a 65% approval rating. Those days are done, at least for the time being.

Feb 14, 2018
Hopefully they press this and actually do it. Off the heels of Afghanistan, they need to do as much as possible to win back positive press. Plus, I mean, this would seriously be amazing for all Americans with student loan debt.
Polling on universal debt cancelation is fairly mixed, I don't think it would result in a definitively positive news cycle. Just imagine how it will be spun into a controversy. Infrastructure passage will be a very positive cycle though.

Adding this cancelation to the previous numbers, it seems like Biden has canceled over $7 billion for about 400 thousand borrowers. It's a start. So far he's prioritized the most vulnerable borrowers - probably the people most in need of cancelation.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Group of Children with Disabilities Sues Texas Governor Claiming Ban on Mask Mandates Is Discriminatory

A group of school children with disabilities is suing Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) over his executive order prohibiting mask mandates, arguing that the measure violates federal antidiscrimination laws by preventing students with special needs and underlying medical conditions from safely getting a public education.
The lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas on Tuesday by the advocacy group Disability Rights Texas on behalf of 14 students with a variety of conditions, all of whom are under the age of 12 and, therefore, are not eligible to be vaccinated. The students are identified only by their initials in the filing.
The complaint alleges that Abbott's Executive Order GA-38 violates the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, and the American Rescue Plan (ARP Act). It is the first lawsuit filed in federal court that challenges Abbott's ban on mask mandates, though several other suits have been filed in state court.

The suit—which names Abbott, the Texas Education Agency (TEA), and the agency's commissioner as defendants—seeks a temporary restraining order blocking the ban from being enforced and allowing individual school districts and public health authorities to require masks where they determine such measures are necessary.
Attorney Tom Melsheimer, who is representing the plaintiffs pro bono, said that the order runs counter to recommendations from public health officials and places children with disabilities and their families in an impossible position.
lawandcrime.com

Group of Children with Disabilities Sues Texas Governor Claiming Ban on Mask Mandates Is Discriminatory

A group of disabled school children are suing Texas Gov. Greg Abbott over his executive order prohibiting mask mandates, arguing that the measure violates federal antidiscrimination laws.

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
Mo Brooks supporting domestic terrorist *again*

Is he getting some polling data from his office in his home state saying go harder on the domestic terrorism thing, your voters love it? Seriously, other than that how in the hell do these dumbfucks in the GOP keep saying this stupid shit? Especially in this case, he is already in legal trouble from what he said on the 6th. A toddler would have learned his lesson already.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Is he getting some polling data from his office in his home state saying go harder on the domestic terrorism thing, your voters love it? Seriously, other than that how in the hell do these dumbfucks in the GOP keep saying this stupid shit? Especially in this case, he is already in legal trouble from what he said on the 6th. A toddler would have learned his lesson already.

He represents Alabama. He'll be fine.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
This behavior would have been completely unacceptable even 6 years ago. Shit is out of hand now. GOP is asking for an insurgency.

OP
OP
SSF1991

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
I see the GOP has realized that the negative press has been on Biden too much, so they've decided to say more stupid shit to get negative press back on them.

They really can't help themselves.

Bronlonius

Oct 29, 2017
This behavior would have been completely unacceptable even 6 years ago. Shit is out of hand now. GOP is asking for an insurgency.
Not asking for, full-on demanding. This is so fucking dangerous!! There have already been attacks with MAGAts saying they were trying to start a revolution, hoping other "patriots" would join in across the country. This guy is no different, calling for revolution, and now with Mo defending him this quickly, we need to fully expect more of these, because he more than gave this guy legitimacy. The next insurrection won't fail, especially now that they all have hard-ons for the Taliban, who did what the MAGAts tried to do Jan 6th.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Not asking for, full-on demanding. This is so fucking dangerous!! There have already been attacks with MAGAts saying they were trying to start a revolution, hoping other "patriots" would join in across the country. This guy is no different, calling for revolution, and now with Mo defending him this quickly, we need to fully expect more of these, because he more than gave this guy legitimacy. The next insurrection won't fail, especially now that they all have hard-ons for the Taliban, who did what the MAGAts tried to do Jan 6th.
The question is not "if" but "when".

Mike Flynn is going around the country on an insurgency tour. He points to the Taliban as "hope". There is a real "grassroots" movement looking to make an impact at the local and state level, working up to the federal level. With over 500 armed militias operating in the US I worry we will see some fuckery on levels we have never seen before, possibly come midterms or shortly after. Southern states especially are sympathetic to the cause. These people are loosely organizing in places like Telegram. Gab is an openly white nationalist safe space.

40% of Republicans believe that "if elected leaders will not protect America, the people must do it themselves, even if it requires violent actions."

www.npr.org

A 'Scary' Survey Finding: 4 In 10 Republicans Say Political Violence May Be Necessary

In addition, most white evangelicals and Republicans say Biden's election was illegitimate and Trump was not behind the attack on the Capitol.

Nearly half of Republican voters (47%) say that "a time will come when patriotic Americans have to take the law into their own hands,"

www.businessinsider.com

Nearly half of Republicans say 'a time will come when patriotic Americans have to take the law into their own hands,' new poll shows

A majority of Republicans (55%) said "the traditional American way of life is disappearing so fast we may have to use force to save it."

This is 10's of millions of Americans.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Traditional way of life is code for :

White America
2 genders
Marriage is man and woman
patriarchal society
Church

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
The question is not "if" but "when".

Mike Flynn is going around the country on an insurgency tour. He points to the Taliban as "hope". There is a real "grassroots" movement looking to make an impact at the local and state level, working up to the federal level. With over 500 armed militias operating in the US I worry we will see some fuckery on levels we have never seen before, possibly come midterms or shortly after. Southern states especially are sympathetic to the cause. These people are loosely organizing in places like Telegram. Gab is an openly white nationalist safe space.

40% of Republicans believe that "if elected leaders will not protect America, the people must do it themselves, even if it requires violent actions."

www.npr.org

A 'Scary' Survey Finding: 4 In 10 Republicans Say Political Violence May Be Necessary

In addition, most white evangelicals and Republicans say Biden's election was illegitimate and Trump was not behind the attack on the Capitol.

Nearly half of Republican voters (47%) say that "a time will come when patriotic Americans have to take the law into their own hands,"

www.businessinsider.com

Nearly half of Republicans say 'a time will come when patriotic Americans have to take the law into their own hands,' new poll shows

A majority of Republicans (55%) said "the traditional American way of life is disappearing so fast we may have to use force to save it."

This is 10's of millions of Americans.
Given they will all be in ICUs, I don't think they'll be doing much to stop it.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

surprised-pikachu.gif

Oct 22, 2020
This thread gets at something I've been saying for a while: Ohio Republicans are going to have a much harder time implementing another hyper-aggressive gerrymander than most people are assuming.

TL;DR - it's a combination of the ballot initiative we passed a couple years ago and the current balance of the Ohio Supreme Court, which is split 4R-3D, but with a Republican justice who is anti-gerrymandering.

If we got out of it with this map, I'd be thrilled - and it's not beyond the realm of possibility:

Keep your expectations in check, but don't be totally shocked if Dems net a seat or two in Ohio.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
This thread gets at something I've been saying for a while: Ohio Republicans are going to have a much harder time implementing another hyper-aggressive gerrymander than most people are assuming.

TL;DR - it's a combination of the ballot initiative we passed a couple years ago and the current balance of the Ohio Supreme Court, which is split 4R-3D, but with a Republican justice who is anti-gerrymander.

If we got out of it with this map, I'd be thrilled - and it's not beyond the realm of possibility:

Would be a nice bright spot in the overall gerrymandering picture. A lot of the states where we really have to worry about the GOP aggressively gerrymandering (GA, TX, FL, NC) are fleeting opportunities for them - eventually gerrymandering won't be enough.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Immigration Lawyers Say Trump-Appointed Judge in Texas Just Decided He's in Control of ICE and 'Emperor of U.S. Immigration Policy' in 'Unprecedented and Outrageous' Ruling

Judge-Drew-Tipton.jpg

Lawyers say a federal judge in Texas gave himself almost total control over Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in a shocking Thursday ruling that stopped the Biden administration from enforcing its previously outlined priorities for the controversial deportation agency.
Rendering the Biden administration memos null and void more or less puts the agency back under the same directional guidance as during the Trump administration. Then, it was largely left to ICE agents to determine their own priorities. The net effect was that most ICE branches moved to detain and deport immigrants at the leisure and direction of the agents in charge.
"Tipton also gives himself extraordinary power for a judge to almost single-handedly oversee the entire ICE apparatus, demanding to know every single case around the country in which an immigrant isn't detained or can't be removed with 90 days, including their addresses," Reichlin-Melnick added. "This is an unprecedented and outrageous decision that threatens to force the Biden administration to lock up many immigrants who are long-time members of their community who the government does not want to detain and deport. This is a dangerous precedent to set."
"Judge Tipton becomes the first judge ever to declare that DHS may not–even in the exercise of prosecutorial discretion–release someone from detention during the removal period," Reichlin-Melnick tweeted. "This would overturn a century of precedent giving the Executive clear discretion over these decisions."
lawandcrime.com

Immigration Lawyers Say Trump-Appointed Judge in Texas Just Decided He's in Control of ICE and 'Emperor of U.S. Immigration Policy' in 'Unprecedented and Outrageous' Ruling

U.S. District Judge Drew B. Tipton, appointed by then-President Donald Trump in 2020, authored the order enjoining two immigration memos issued on Jan. 20 and Feb. 18 by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and ICE directors, respectively.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

TL;DR - it's a combination of the ballot initiative we passed a couple years ago and the current balance of the Ohio Supreme Court, which is split 4R-3D, but with a Republican justice who is anti-gerrymandering.

Keep your expectations in check, but don't be totally shocked if Dems net a seat or two in Ohio.

And just for lols here is Gym Jordan's district

EroV0jGU0AA8Z3B.jpg

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

When is all this set to take place? Would suck to be represented by an R, but if it helps the rest of Ohio get a little bluer, then so be it.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

Judge-Drew-Tipton.jpg

lawandcrime.com

U.S. District Judge Drew B. Tipton, appointed by then-President Donald Trump in 2020, authored the order enjoining two immigration memos issued on Jan. 20 and Feb. 18 by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and ICE directors, respectively.
So what's the next move? Seems so egregious, the government should be appealing to the next highest court to throw that ruling out.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The fuck would they come back for. It's not like the legislature will do anything useful regarding Covid anyway. And I'd bet the shitty version of the anti-voting bill gets passed.

illiniguy05

Oct 25, 2017
The fuck would they come back for. It's not like the legislature will do anything useful regarding Covid anyway. And I'd bet the shitty version of the anti-voting bill gets passed.

wapo article quotes then as coming back to help pass COVID relief to help the state, blah blah blah.

I imagine that they could leave again when the voter bill is up for final vote to again prevent quorum, but that's just a guess by me.

OP
OP
SSF1991

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018

...Interesting. Very interesting.

The more that seems to come out about the potential redistricting, the more good news Dems get. Nothing to guarantee them keeping the House majority, but this is still a lot more good news than I was expecting.

less

Oct 25, 2017

Texas legislature is a part time gig. Possible that some of them just couldn't put off their full-time jobs or couldn't afford being without a full-time job any longer for one reason or another. /shrug

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Man the news reproduction of this interview is what's wrong with video/television media.

Now I don't believe ABC news or any others have some anti-liberal or anti-bidem bias or anything, obviously, but the editing on the answer to remove a yes/no answer to a question and spin it to be more provocative is something else.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Man the news reproduction of this interview is what's wrong with video/television media.

Now I don't believe ABC news or any others have some anti-liberal or anti-bidem bias or anything, obviously, but the editing on the answer to remove a yes/no answer to a question and spin it to be more provocative is something else.

I really like Bidens answer though. It is thoughtful and not full of bluster and "they only cooperated because they scared of our dick size" type answers.

Frankly I have hope Taliban evolves into some sort of a quasi stable Islamic Republic. Even an authoritarian dictatorship like that of neighboring Turkmenistan is a step up from whatever sham they were running in the 90s and calling it government.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I really like Bidens answer though. It is thoughtful and not full of bluster and "they only cooperated because they scared of our dick size" type answers.

Frankly I have hope Taliban evolves into some sort of a quasi stable Islamic Republic. Even an authoritarian dictatorship like that of neighboring Turkmenistan is a step up from whatever sham they were running in the 90s and calling it government.
Isn't the president of Turkmenistan next level bonkers?

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't the president of Turkmenistan next level bonkers?
Aren't they all in some way? The point is, Afghanistan needs to come to on its own. The first step to that is having a functional government. It doesn't need to become a democracy to become functional. The people over there deserve higher standards of living.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
What is with these people? I can't understand the Fauci nonsense he's been nothing but a public servant his entire career
trump hates him. Trump thinks he tried to make him look bad during his presidency.

He's an easy target for MAGA Republicans because mocking him gets their voters all wound up thanks to Trump's hate for him. It's like easy hit points.

Status
Not open for further replies.