• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
A blue Idaho is a term I never thought I'd hear, tbh. Is that even in the realm of reality in the next 20 years?

And RE: Tennessee: it's always blown my mind that it's not more purple. Nashville is such a fast growing place, pluses it has other decently sized cities like Memphis and Knoxville.

I've never been to them so maybe they aren't how I picture, but it still surprises me how red Tennessee is.
I've moved around and lived in a number of red and blue areas. I cannot stress enough how hostile and extreme right the suburbs surrounding Nashville are. They are probably less friendly than the rural areas of the state. Cops harrass you constantly if you came from another state asking what you are doing in their state. People will slash your tires in the parking lot, if you are a liberal. When I stood in line to early vote last year, I was the only one there wearing a mask and people would loudly shout to stay away from the Biden voter. I was the only person in my workplace that believed Biden won the election as the rest were Qanon. My boss frequently told me I had a mental illness for taking covid seriously and that it was just the flew and that I was brainwashed by CNN. A guy blew up a chunk of the city on Christmas day because he believed Democrats were lizard people and took out the main telecom hub for South Eastern America because of 5G conspiracies related to covid. I've been stalked in parking lots and harassed while pumping gas being told I deserve to burn in hell for being gay. Keep in mind I am not flamboyant or openly expressing it to strangers either. Nashville is a blue city that is expanding. However, it is attracting a lot of white conservatives from the mid-west and California who are replacing the longstanding communities of color. At least from my experience I'd say the state is dark red. However, there is some slight hope due to low voter turnout that someone could flip it. Many voting outreach campaigns have attempted but none have been successful.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I've moved around and lived in a number of red and blue areas. I cannot stress enough how hostile and extreme right the suburbs surrounding Nashville are. They are probably less friendly than the rural areas of the state. Cops harrass you constantly if you came from another state asking what you are doing in their state. People will slash your tires in the parking lot, if you are a liberal. When I stood in line to early vote last year, I was the only one there wearing a mask and people would loudly shout to stay away from the Biden voter. I was the only person in my workplace that believed Biden won the election as the rest were Qanon. My boss frequently told me I had a mental illness for taking covid seriously and that it was just the flew and that I was brainwashed by CNN. A guy blew up a chunk of the city on Christmas day because he believed Democrats were lizard people and took out the main telecom hub for South Eastern America because of 5G conspiracies related to covid. I've been stalked in parking lots and harassed while pumping gas being told I deserve to burn in hell for being gay. Keep in mind I am not flamboyant or openly expressing it to strangers either. Nashville is a blue city that is expanding. However, it is attracting a lot of white conservatives from the mid-west and California who are replacing the longstanding communities of color. At least from my experience I'd say the state is dark red. However, there is some slight hope due to low voter turnout that someone could flip it. Many voting outreach campaigns have attempted but none have been successful.
Stay safe. Sounds horrible.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
That is awful. Anecdotally, I know a Nashvillian who was followed and honked and yelled at for miles by an insane right winger simply because she had the audacity to have an Elizabeth Warren bumper sticker on her car.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018

Is he right? I just can't believe that things would be shitty no matter what the US did. Stay another few years maybe, but delay the inevitable. There was no way for US troops to stay perpetually.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Is he right? I just can't believe that things would be shitty no matter what the US did. Stay another few years maybe, but delay the inevitable. There was no way for US troops to stay perpetually.

Yep, and fuck Trump for suggesting he wouldn't have stood for this inevitable outcome of the withdrawal he started. Classless.

Oct 22, 2020
That is awful. Anecdotally, I know a Nashvillian who was followed and honked and yelled at for miles by an insane right winger simply because she had the audacity to have an Elizabeth Warren bumper sticker on her car.
I had a Warren magnet on my car during the primaries and some asshole in a pickup rolled down his window at a stoplight and started tomahawk chopping and making whooping noises.

I also had a Bernie supporter in my apartment complex see the magnet on my car and say "Fuck Elizabeth Warren," not realizing I was nearby in the parking lot.

Obviously the first example is far more wretched, but I've never had a political sticker/magnet on my car provoke the level of vitriol that my Warren magnet did.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Please proceed.

The global activist organization Avaaz can now pressure Scottish ministers to take a deeper look into the cash behind Trump Turnberry.

Avaaz will argue that an Unexplained Wealth Order must be filed against the Trump Organization to determine the source of funds used to buy Turnberry, the golf course Trump bought for $60 million in 2014. Trump purchased the resort — and land in Aberdeenshire in 2006 — in all-cash transactions at a time when he was seriously strapped for money and couldn't find banks willing to lend him funds.

m.huffingtonpost.co.uk

Activists Win Right To Press For 'McMafia Law' Probe Of Trump Purchases In Scotland

The global activist organization Avaaz can now pressure Scottish ministers to take a deeper look into the cash behind Trump Turnberry.

OP
OP
SSF1991

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
I've moved around and lived in a number of red and blue areas. I cannot stress enough how hostile and extreme right the suburbs surrounding Nashville are. They are probably less friendly than the rural areas of the state. Cops harrass you constantly if you came from another state asking what you are doing in their state. People will slash your tires in the parking lot, if you are a liberal. When I stood in line to early vote last year, I was the only one there wearing a mask and people would loudly shout to stay away from the Biden voter. I was the only person in my workplace that believed Biden won the election as the rest were Qanon. My boss frequently told me I had a mental illness for taking covid seriously and that it was just the flew and that I was brainwashed by CNN. A guy blew up a chunk of the city on Christmas day because he believed Democrats were lizard people and took out the main telecom hub for South Eastern America because of 5G conspiracies related to covid. I've been stalked in parking lots and harassed while pumping gas being told I deserve to burn in hell for being gay. Keep in mind I am not flamboyant or openly expressing it to strangers either.

These are the same assholes that throw a fit at the "looters", "vandals", and "anarchists" protesting police brutality. The same assholes that complain about the left being "intolerant". The same assholes that complain about how much of "a victim" they are of things like "censorship" and "cancel culture". The same fucking assholes that bitch and moan about how the left are "snowflakes" that "get offended easily". But of course, for every single thing they complain about, they're actually the ones doing it.

Every fucking thing they complain about is projection. Everything. And hypocrisy is in their blood.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

I said this last year when Trump was pushing for withdrawal: we needed to be ready for these headlines, and they're going to get worse later. That's not to say we should've stayed, but I do think we need a better answer than "not my problem." Once the Taliban is in power completely, I'm expecting some pretty brutal news to come out shortly as they get the executions going. And the headlines will find the best footage they can and title it "Was Biden Right to Leave Them to This?"

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just wondering what we were supposed to do with Afghanistan.
It was very much a "no-win" option. Leaving means Taliban takeover, staying means more wasted money and lives.
It's the kind of thing that shows global politics are not black & white. There's way too much nuance to it.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Full statement:

www.whitehouse.gov

Statement by President Joe Biden on Afghanistan | The White House

Over the past several days, I have been in close contact with my national security team to give them direction on how to protect our interests and values as we end our military mission in Afghanistan. First, based on the recommendations of our diplomatic, military, and intelligence teams, I have...

Over the past several days, I have been in close contact with my national security team to give them direction on how to protect our interests and values as we end our military mission in Afghanistan.
First, based on the recommendations of our diplomatic, military, and intelligence teams, I have authorized the deployment of approximately 5,000 U.S. troops to make sure we can have an orderly and safe drawdown of U.S. personnel and other allied personnel, and an orderly and safe evacuation of Afghans who helped our troops during our mission and those at special risk from the Taliban advance.
Second, I have ordered our Armed Forces and our Intelligence Community to ensure that we will maintain the capability and the vigilance to address future terrorist threats from Afghanistan.
Third, I have directed the Secretary of State to support President Ghani and other Afghan leaders as they seek to prevent further bloodshed and pursue a political settlement. Secretary Blinken will also engage with key regional stakeholders.
Fourth, we have conveyed to the Taliban representatives in Doha, via our Combatant Commander, that any action on their part on the ground in Afghanistan, that puts U.S. personnel or our mission at risk there, will be met with a swift and strong U.S. military response.
Fifth, I have placed Ambassador Tracey Jacobson in charge of a whole-of-government effort to process, transport, and relocate Afghan Special Immigrant Visa applicants and other Afghan allies. Our hearts go out to the brave Afghan men and women who are now at risk. We are working to evacuate thousands of those who helped our cause and their families.
That is what we are going to do. Now let me be clear about how we got here.
America went to Afghanistan 20 years ago to defeat the forces that attacked this country on September 11th. That mission resulted in the death of Osama bin Laden over a decade ago and the degradation of al Qaeda. And yet, 10 years later, when I became President, a small number of U.S. troops still remained on the ground, in harm's way, with a looming deadline to withdraw them or go back to open combat.
Over our country's 20 years at war in Afghanistan, America has sent its finest young men and women, invested nearly $1 trillion dollars, trained over 300,000 Afghan soldiers and police, equipped them with state-of-the-art military equipment, and maintained their air force as part of the longest war in U.S. history. One more year, or five more years, of U.S. military presence would not have made a difference if the Afghan military cannot or will not hold its own country. And an endless American presence in the middle of another country's civil conflict was not acceptable to me.
When I came to office, I inherited a deal cut by my predecessor—which he invited the Taliban to discuss at Camp David on the eve of 9/11 of 2019—that left the Taliban in the strongest position militarily since 2001 and imposed a May 1, 2021 deadline on U.S. Forces. Shortly before he left office, he also drew U.S. Forces down to a bare minimum of 2,500. Therefore, when I became President, I faced a choice—follow through on the deal, with a brief extension to get our Forces and our allies' Forces out safely, or ramp up our presence and send more American troops to fight once again in another country's civil conflict. I was the fourth President to preside over an American troop presence in Afghanistan—two Republicans, two Democrats. I would not, and will not, pass this war onto a fifth.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Stay safe. Sounds horrible.
Thankfully I got out of there and returned to the blessed lands of NOVA earlier this year. The past year and a half has been horrible. I lost my 17 year old dog, my 10 year old cat, my boyfriend, my best friend of 17 years and my dad. Not too mention my apartment complex catching on fire, getting hit by a tornado, leaving my career of 10 years, spending a month in lockdown in my 1 bedroom apartment with no TV or internet, and then not making enough to afford more than a meal a day. The most hurtful thing, as my dad was fighting cancer during the pandemic before passing away, was the amount of people I interacted with in TN that said things like 'I don't care. I hope all old people die'.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just wondering what we were supposed to do with Afghanistan.
It was very much a "no-win" option. Leaving means Taliban takeover, staying means more wasted money and lives.
It's the kind of thing that shows global politics are not black & white. There's way too much nuance to it.
Maybe America should stop overthrowing foreign governments that don't obey their every whim?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
what people say this? Sounds like some edgelord shit.
MTG just said this, more or less.

"eh, old people die, it's human".

Yes, to be a full Trumper these days, you basically have to be ok with old people dying from the virus, because otherwise these deaths these governors are having under their leadership, they would be responsible for, and they can't have that.

Mind you if Clinton had become president in 2016, we'd still be having investigations over every single death caused by covid.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
MTG just said this, more or less.

"eh, old people die, it's human".

Yes, to be a full Trumper these days, you basically have to be ok with old people dying from the virus, because otherwise these deaths these governors are having under their leadership, they would be responsible for, and they can't have that.

Mind you if Clinton had become president in 2016, we'd still be having investigations over every single death caused by covid.

If Clinton were president, she wouldn't dismantle the pandemic readiness plan Obama put together and we could have avoided all this.

Wasn't it the Lt. Governor of Texas who said old people have to die to keep the economy going?

Yes. Dan Patrick.
www.vanityfair.com

Texas Lt. Governor: Old People Should Volunteer to Die to Save the Economy

According to Dan Patrick “lots of grandparents” are willing to sacrifice themselves for the cause.

I know there was another Texas politician that said something similar. I don't remember who though...

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
If Clinton were president, she wouldn't dismantle the pandemic readiness plan Obama put together and we could have avoided all this.

Yes. Dan Patrick.
www.vanityfair.com

Texas Lt. Governor: Old People Should Volunteer to Die to Save the Economy

According to Dan Patrick “lots of grandparents” are willing to sacrifice themselves for the cause.

I know there was another Texas politician that said something similar. I don't remember who though...
Of course. But a few people would have died, especially the elderly, and we would have had ourselves several benghazi's by now.

If MTG would have some how still got elected, she'd be demanding daily that Hillary either be arrested or step down. "One death is too many and this never would have happened under Republican leadership".

Off topic but the chance of a asteroid hit has increased
www.nytimes.com

NASA Says an Asteroid Will Have a Close Brush With Earth. But Not Until the 2100s. (Published 2021)

Scientists have improved their forecast of the orbital path of Bennu, a space rock the size of the Empire State Building that was visited by the OSIRIS-REX spacecraft.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck convincing the CIA....
I don't think the CIA is really to blame for the invasion of Afghanistan — basically all elected politicians across the spectrum were for it, and the majority of voters.

I agree the Iraq invasion was top-led, but not by the intelligence community, but rather by Rumsfeld and political appointees in the Pentagon who were "stovepiping" misleading shit against the better judgement of State and CIA, who were being called liberal doves by conservative media for warning against it. Or at least for doubting that Saddam's weapons programs were worth caring about, if they existed at all.

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017

it's awful choice if we stayed or left. The blame shouldn't just be on Biden the media should talk a little more about the war of terror and did it pay off?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, we were basically out of good options in Afghanistan. The US pulling out is probably the best of a lot of bad choices, but none of them were good.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017

There was no chance as long as Pakistan was basically supporting the Taliban through out this endeavor. Question now is will this backfire on them as there is a big rise in extremism there.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The ironic thing is that for all the talk of being a warmonger, because of his Iraq War vote, Biden's probably the most actual personally dovish President since possibly Carter, and I can make an argument Carter's actual decision as POTUS were more hawkish than people remember, so before that you'd have to go pre-WWII.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
The ironic thing is that for all the talk of being a warmonger, because of his Iraq War vote, Biden's probably the most actual personally dovish President since possibly Carter, and I can make an argument Carter's actual decision as POTUS were more hawkish than people remember, so before that you'd have to go pre-WWII.
I mean, let's not forget Biden's history of being a warhawk. It's great that he changed his views on war, but all the talk about him being a warmonger in the primaries was valid. But now he's changed and its great.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

That's, of course, a consequence of the Middle East getting moved to the background. As he promised.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
what people say this? Sounds like some edgelord shit.
Yep I heard multiple people say this during the pandemic and they were in their 30s-40s. I believe there main motivation when saying it was to upset the libs. The first time I heard it someone was expressing concern about the pandemic and the person said "who cares?! I hate old people. They will be replaced by a new baby boom from Covid anyways". Another person specifically would say "I hate old people and hope they die." That coworker was aware of my father's situation and was doing it intentionally to try and upset me. I just ignored them and carried on.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
www.theatlantic.com

The Fastest-Growing Group of American Evangelicals

A new generation of Latino Protestants is poised to transform our religious and political landscapes.

Le sigh.
Meanwhile, Elizabeth Rios—a Florida-based Puerto Rican pastor with Assemblies of God, a Pentecostal fellowship—told me that after prominent pastors such as Rodriguez aligned themselves with Trump, many Latino Christians, especially first-generation immigrants, trusted their judgment, because "they believe that God uses [pastors] as a mouthpiece."

I grew up going to a Pentecostal church in Puerto Rico, and this entire article resonated with me and my experience. Especially this part. Yeah, this is what everyone believed. Thankfully, from what I hear from my mom, her church does not appear to have bought into the Trump support, nor does it ever really lean into national politics, so at least they have that going for them. Mainland Puerto Rican evangelicals tend to be a lot more political, in my experience.

Erpy

May 31, 2018

Define "all this". While a Clinton administration wouldn't have dismantled the structure Obama and his team put in place and would have been functional for the most part, the US absolutely would have been impacted by COVID and probably on a bigger scale than other western democracies, which were impacted significantly already. Quite a few western countries whose governments were a lot healthier than the US had to deal with waves, restrictions and lockdowns (and backlash to the latter) over the past year.

Even with a Clinton administration, the US would still have to contend with a patchwork-like healthcare system, a culture that glorifies individualism and distrusts government and a whole slew of Republican governors who had no political incentive to give Clinton a win in the last year of her term and every political incentive to pick a fight with her administration every chance they get. Note that most of the "COVID is a hoax made up by the government to rob us of our freedom"--conspiracy theories that popped up in the right wing came about despite there being a semi-authoritarian they supported in charge of that government. Imagine if Clinton had been in the Oval Office. Every attempt to push restrictions would have been a second Jade Helm.

Last year's clusterfuck was with Republicans in general (Trump and his cultists aside) being as cooperative as they could have been. There'd have been a lot more pushback under a president who had been painted as the ultimate boogeyman for decades.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Taliban have entered Kabul already.

www.reuters.com

Taliban enter Afghan capital as US diplomats evacuate by chopper

Taliban insurgents entered the Afghanistan capital Kabul on Sunday, an interior ministry official said, as the United States evacuated diplomats from its embassy by helicopter.
And the only lesson America will probably learn is "BIDEN IS TOO WEAK AND SOFT THIS WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED IF WE HAD A TOUGH ALPHA MALE LIKE TRUMP AT TE HELM."

Probably why Trump didn't pull troops out during his term.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I said this last year when Trump was pushing for withdrawal: we needed to be ready for these headlines, and they're going to get worse later. That's not to say we should've stayed, but I do think we need a better answer than "not my problem." Once the Taliban is in power completely, I'm expecting some pretty brutal news to come out shortly as they get the executions going. And the headlines will find the best footage they can and title it "Was Biden Right to Leave Them to This?"

And it'll be championed by the same neocons that got us into this mess. I absolutely expect ghouls like Meghan McCain and Bill Kristol to do precisely this.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And it'll be championed by the same neocons that got us into this mess. I absolutely expect ghouls like Meghan McCain and Bill Kristol to do precisely this.
Yup. Guarantee someone told Trump "Hey this would look really bad for you politically. Just kick the can for a future president to deal with. Especially a Democrat."

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Gee, I wonder why they feel that way? If only right wing media and politicians hadn't politicized the pandemic.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Well. Guess we've found what the Rethugs are going to use to hammer Biden and the Democrats with over the next few years.

Yes, it was the right thing to do ultimately but there is a reason Trump never fully withdrew- The political fallout is going to be significant. When you start seeing videos all over mainstream media chronicling what has happened to the region after the US pulled out it's not going to be pretty.

And honestly, I feel conflicted about leaving the region. If there was more support from our allies, maybe staying was the right thing to do... Between the enslavement of women and children in the region to mass executions, and the re-establishment of religious fundamentalism, I don't know how any person can be cheering this withdrawal. But as usual there was no support from anyone else and the US was left to hold the bag.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Well. Guess we've found what the Rethugs are going to use to hammer Biden and the Democrats with over the next few years.

Yes, it was the right thing to do ultimately but there is a reason Trump never fully withdrew- The political fallout is going to be significant. When you start seeing videos all over mainstream media chronicling what has happened to the region after the US pulled out it's not going to be pretty.

And honestly, I feel conflicted about leaving the region. If there was more support from our allies, maybe staying was the right thing to do... Between the enslavement of women and children in the region to mass executions, and the re-establishment of religious fundamentalism, I don't know how any person can be cheering this withdrawal. But as usual there was no support from anyone else and the US was left to hold the bag.
The GOP have been calling for withdrawal for years. Loudly and aggressively.

What are they going to hammer Biden on exactly? What are they going to run on, "we're sending troops back to the endless war?" It seems to me like the overwhelming majority of the American people support Biden's decision, yes?

The Repubs being massive hypocrites and attacking Biden for doing something they all wanted is meaningless. What will be incredibly annoying however is the mainstream media making this into a giant scandal after they themselves have been bemoaning the "forever war" for years.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

What are they going to hammer Biden on exactly? What are they going to run on, "we're sending troops back to the endless war?" It seems to me like the overwhelming majority of the American people support Biden's decision, yes?

The Repubs being massive hypocrites and attacking Biden for doing something they all wanted is meaningless. What will be incredibly annoying however is the mainstream media making this into a giant scandal after they themselves have been bemoaning the "forever war" for years.
People in the US really don't care about the people that live in that part of the world. Well unless they are in Israel.

They'll try it, but it's going to land flat. It is what it is.

Oct 22, 2020
Biden's going to get a ton of shit from the Beltway media and the Blob for the withdrawal, but I don't see much evidence that either of those groups are going to reverse the American public's clear, longstanding desire for a full exit from Afghanistan. I don't think they'll even make a dent, let alone reverse it.

Both the media and the Blob have continued to aggressively push for foreign military intervention in the post-Bush era, and the public continues to strongly oppose it.

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018

What are they going to hammer Biden on exactly?
They're just going to repeat what Trump told them to:

"Had our 2020 Presidential election not been rigged and if I were now president, the world would find that our withdrawal from Afghanistan would be a conditions-based withdrawal. I personally had discussions with top Taliban leaders whereby they understood what they are doing now would not have been acceptable. It would have been a much different and much more successful withdrawal, and the Taliban understood that much better than anyone."

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017

I%27m_Playing_Both_Sides_Banner.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.