• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
Legal question here, could Abbot and DeSanits face any sort of legal repercussions for these Covid decisions? I mean it is scientifically proven that masks work and when you are forcing your schools to not require masks to the extent of withholding pay from superintendents, you are forcing people into harms way. Could someone whose kids catches Covid in school sue either of these guy right now or after they leave office? I would think that if there were some liability potential these guys wouldn't be full steam ahead on the Covid death train. I know they would probably just argue it is the state legislatures fault, but at some point someone has to be responsible for these calls.

OP
OP
SSF1991

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
Can I get an obligatory Fuck Sinema?

At this point, you couldn't say "fuck Sinema" enough. All she's doing is pissing off everyone, and spitting into the faces of people that worked their asses off trying to get her elected and flip the Senate blue.

She can have fun getting primaried when her term's up, I suppose. Because it's all but guaranteed now with the way she's been behaving.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

My man gets straight to the point. Also if anyone has Peacock, he has Nikki Fried on tonight who is running for FL gov. Nikki is the only dem to have won a statewide election in Florida.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
anyone watching;

www.youtube.com

WATCH LIVE: Senate prepares to vote on bipartisan infrastructure bill

Stream your PBS favorites with the PBS app: https://to.pbs.org/2Jb8twGFind more from PBS NewsHour at https://www.pbs.org/newshourSubscribe to our YouTube cha...

republicans added some "Say no to defunding the police" amendment. A vote against, is against supporting police. It backfired immediately. Scrub back till you see booker. around -10.

AMmendment 3113.,

Oct 29, 2017

My man gets straight to the point. Also if anyone has Peacock, he has Nikki Fried on tonight who is running for FL gov. Nikki is the only dem to have won a statewide election in Florida.

Not only that, but Republicans routinely denied that Trump even did anything wrong. So them flaunting Dems on Cuomo is pretty much admitting that Trump did the same shit.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
So for a thread that was highly critical of McConnell (rightfully so) saying he will never do one thing that gives Democrats any type of win, what exactly is the political maneuver for him here? Why did he vote for this and allow for it to happen?

there's two competing theories, I don't live in his brain so I can't tell you which one is true:
  1. mcconnell isn't actually the Great Political Master that he's been portrayed to be, which you could kinda see when republicans had total control of all branches of government and he still couldn't get his own party to repeal obamacare. there are enough members of his caucus that are retiring/interested in doing actual infrastructure for their actual states that he just couldn't keep them all in line, and so he didn't have a choice. he didn't "allow it to happen" because he doesn't actually have the power to disallow it, enough of his members wanted it to make it happen, and he joined on because being able to say you voted for infrastructure is probably good
  2. there's a very real case to be made that mcconnell going full obstructionist would have been the thing that pushed all democrats into filibuster reform of some kind, at which point he loses all power entirely. the calculation might be that doing this bipartisan deal (which could have always just been rolled into a reconciliation bill and passed anyway) provides enough "evidence" that republicans can be worked with to stave off filibuster reform for at least a few years.
probably also some others, but these are the two big ones I've seen

Yeah, it's these two. Remember the full history of these negotiations:
  • Gang of 10 moderates (5 Rep, 5 Dem) negotiates a bill, but it fails.
  • Manchin is angry at Mitch. Calls for filibuster reform kick in, including private conversations with Manchin
  • Further negotiations happen. More GOP senators sign on in an effort to convince Manchin that he's right, there are indeed "10 good ones"
  • Bill fails again as GOP senators get spooked at the prospect of a Dem win in any way
  • Manchin continues to get worked on, publicly and privately.
    • it's at this point that I think filibuster reform is privately on the table
  • GOP comes back (likely even against what Mitch wants) with well over 10 votes to get a deal together. This one cannot fail in the GOP's eyes (they didn't even blink about a follow-up reconciliation bill this time).
Infrastructure is popular and the GOP can easily sell it passing to their voters. But above all else, they can't lose the filibuster. Not only for Dem bills passing, but they rely on the filibuster to kill batshit crazy bills that they're own party members put up without voting No themselves. If the filibuster goes, and the GOP takes the Senate, then what do they do when Ted Cruz floats some Abortion is a Capital Offense bill? Passing it is nuts, but if you vote No, you get primaried as a libtard commie atheist RINO instead

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If the filibuster goes, and the GOP takes the Senate, then what do they do when Ted Cruz floats some Abortion is a Capital Offense bill? Passing it is nuts, but if you vote No, you get primaried as a libtard commie atheist RINO instead

Yeah, the thing why even though I'm sure the GOP will pass bad things if they ever get a Senator majority w/out a filibuster, the actual reason I'm not too worried is people like Collins like that they can vote for the batshit crazy stuff, saving themselves from a primary, but also knowing the Democrat's can filibuster, thus making it hard to bring up in a campaign, since low-info voters don't care about bills that don't pass, unless they're insanely highly visible, like ACA repeal.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
One of the actual cybersecurity experts at the Lindell symposium has been tweeting about the whole experience, sounds like what you would expect.

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like on whole it has been a relatively good day in politics with both Cuomo leaving, and the bipartisan infrastructure bill passing the senate.

I guess Desantis slowly getting torn to shreds over his handling of COVID is a positive, but exposing this clown for the hack he is definitely isn't worth all the innocent people that are going to be hurt in the process. Hopefully Florida gets a governor next election who actually gives a damn about their constituents.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The recall rules need to be fucking rewritten by Cali Legislature. Why the fuck is it so easy to hold snap elections to recall a governor. Feinstein needs to step down right now so Newsome can appoint someone, in case he loses. If that happens and Feinstein doesn't resign, we will be back in the pray everyday mode of RBG holding on to the seat.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017

Joe Manchin is going to be the most irrelevant motherfucker in the Senate in 2022 whether Dems retain or lose control of it.

The recall rules need to be fucking rewritten by Cali Legislature. Why the fuck is it so easy to hold snap elections to recall a governor. Feinstein needs to step down right now so Newsome can appoint someone, in case he loses. If that happens and Feinstein doesn't resign, we will be back in the pray everyday mode of RBG holding on to the seat.
Never thought of this. I hope Newsome doesn't get booted out…

Erpy

May 31, 2018

To be honest, the two cases aren't extremely similar from a political perspective. There's no big hardcore Cuomo-faction in the Democratic base, there was no risk of Cuomo being succeeded by a Republican or a power shift in the state as a result. There was no political cost to Democrats loudly calling Cuomo to fall on his sword.

The were (and still are) big political costs to national Republicans calling for Trump to resign or get out of politics.

If a figure like Manchin would be caught in a bunch of sex scandals, whose departure would have major and far-reaching consequences, Democrats would be a whole lot quieter.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

www.nbcnews.com

U.S. government sends hundreds of ventilators to Florida as Covid surge continues

As of Tuesday, 14,787 people were hospitalized, 145 percent more than during the state's previous peak in July 2020, a state hospital group said.

WASHINGTON — The federal government has sent hundreds of ventilators and other equipment this week to help Florida respond to a record number of Covid hospitalizations.
The devices, which came from the federal government's Strategic National Stockpile, included 200 ventilators and 100 smaller breathing devices and related supplies, said an official of the Department of Health and Human Services.
A record number of people have been hospitalized in Florida in a surge of Covid infections being driven largely by the unvaccinated, public health officials have said.
On Tuesday, 14,787 people were hospitalized for Covid-19, 145 percent more than during the state's previous peak in July 2020, according to the Florida Hospital Association. Nearly 90 percent of the state's intensive care beds were in use, and 85 percent of all patient beds were filled, the group said.

Remember the time when Jared showed up to a covid press briefing to say how the national stockpile was his and not for the states? And then a page on the HHS website was edited a day later to match what the clown prince said?

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit the 3.5 trillion bill passed??

Administration is one voting bill away from being a massive success. Biden on the way to being one of the most influential presidents of my lifetime.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit the 3.5 trillion bill passed??

Administration is one voting bill away from being a massive success. Biden on the way to being one of the most influential presidents of my lifetime.
The budget resolution passed, not the bill itself. The budget resolution basically just outlines the dollar amount Congress intends to spend in the bill. Writing that bill comes next.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
The budget resolution passed, not the bill itself. The budget resolution basically just outlines the dollar amount Congress intends to spend in the bill. Writing that bill comes next.

and the Senate is on recess for a month now

somewhere around late September is the expected timeline for the bill itself so it'll be a while

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
Seeing all the usual suspects screaming how the republicans are traitors, how they abandoned their country, etc is just hilarious to me

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Today Manchin seemed skeptical of the 3.5 trillion price tag even though he literally just voted for it in the budget resolution. I'm expecting some cutbacks between him and Sinema, but nothing too major to upset progressives. I'm still thinking that the final bill is going to be in the $3 trillion range.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Today Manchin seemed skeptical of the 3.5 trillion price tag even though he literally just voted for it in the budget resolution. I'm expecting some cutbacks between him and Sinema, but nothing too major to upset progressives. I'm still thinking that the final bill is going to be in the $3 trillion range.
We placing bets? 2.8 is what gets settled on. Don't ask me to list cuts or anything but I think both of those idiots will want it under the 3 trillion mark.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
We placing bets? 2.8 is what gets settled on. Don't ask me to list cuts or anything but I think both of those idiots will want it under the 3 trillion mark.

Around $2.9 to $3.2 trillion is what I am expecting. Manchin is concerned that it is paid for, so hopefully tax increases can cover the bulk of it. Either way, this is going to be one of the most massive spending packages in Congress's history. This might be the single most important accomplishment in Joe Biden's Presidency once it gets signed into law.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
womp womp

Around $2.9 to $3.2 trillion is what I am expecting. Manchin is concerned that it is paid for, so hopefully tax increases can cover the bulk of it. Either way, this is going to be one of the most massive spending packages in Congress's history. This might be the single most important accomplishment in Joe Biden's Presidency once it gets signed into law.

Absolutely. I doubt Democrats or Biden get the credit they deserve for this, because it's not also free college, universal healthcare, etc. But it's a huge fucking accomplishment on itsown.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021

$3-3.2 is my guess too. And to your point, assuming Sinema doesn't fuck up the whole bill, it will be Biden/Sanders crowning achievement and legacy, especially when combined with the bi partisan bill. That is $4 TRILLION that goes to help the poor/middle class more than the rich.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
$3-3.2 is my guess too. And to your point, assuming Sinema doesn't fuck up the whole bill, it will be Biden/Sanders crowning achievement and legacy, especially when combined with the bi partisan bill. That is $4 TRILLION that goes to help the poor/middle class more than the rich.

I honestly want voting rights to be his legacy. A man can dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.