• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of her fault, she objected to debating amendments because she wants to wrap up the bill and leave but as a result the GOP is now going to protest and run out the clock making her leave much later than if she just allowed the amendments to be debated.

Fuck Around and Find Out – Sinema Edition

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, people really underestimate how horrible those midterms were for Dems.

Sosnik says there's "signs that [Biden's] support is beginning to soften", and the reason given to support this claim is people, without a reason given for their pessimism, have gotten more pessimistic about the country's direction. That's...quite a flawed argument there, especially considering Biden's support has been right around 55% now for months, and Trump's support had been very stable for months as well. And judging by their data, it seems that, if a president has more than 50% support, their party can actually gain seats in the midterms.

I also find it interesting they say "7 out of 8", when I look at that picture and...it looks like only 4 or 5 of the last elections had been "significant losses". On a side note...for some reason, I thought that GOP House gains in 2020 were much greater than that. But, +13 is kind of...not as many losses as I remember. Odd.

Anything can happen in the next year, but I could easily see Biden's support hanging around 50-55% a year from now if nothing problematic happens. And that, if we're really going to rely on historical trends for this midterm, could result in Dems...gaining a couple of seats in the Senate and expanding their House majority by around 10 seats.

It's yet more evidence that a bad result for Dems in the midterms is not guaranteed. Not only that, but historical trends actually seem to be indicating that the whole "party in power loses seats" narrative is more complicated than that. It depends on the popularity of the president, the political climate at the time, the actions of the federal government leading up to the midterms, what and how the party in the minority is doing, the amount of voter enthusiasm for each party, unpredictable and tragic crises, and more.

In other words: Let's wait and see what happens in the coming 15 months. Anything can happen.

the years where losses were mitigated or soft were in general election years, not midterms which historically are much worse for the incumbent.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

On video for all to see.

And SCOTUS challenge in 3..2..1-oh right, it's the Roberts court.

Very cool that this will work and possibly be replicated elsewhere to entrench minority rule in increasingly diverse states or states with a significant amount of marginalized people living in their borders.

OP
OP
SSF1991

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018

They really can't help but say the quiet part out loud over and over again. They never get held accountable for their actions, no matter how blatant and horrible it is, so they have nothing to fear by saying it.

Of course...they just continue to give Dems more fuel for their campaign ads. That, and/or they just outright admit what Dems have been saying the entire time. Go figure.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
And SCOTUS challenge in 3..2..1-oh right, it's the Roberts court.

Very cool that this will work and possibly be replicated elsewhere to entrench minority rule in increasingly diverse states or states with a significant amount of marginalized people living in their borders.

We just gotta hope that Congress passes some sort of new Voting Rights Act.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019

This is a fair point and possibly an answer as to why Carlson was so focused on making Hungary sound like a utopia. It made no sense to me before, but this clears it up.

This is honestly one of the scariest things to me. When Tucker went to Hungary and was praising it,
I was already somewhat concerned, but this essentially seals it. I think the GOP realizes that they have essentially lost the culture war - they still have a huge following obviously with lots of power, but it's just not big enough to solidify power. There's also no turning it around really. Only answer for them in the long term is to ignore the will of the people.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
They know voting is bad for business and so do their base, but in a zero sum game I think they have come to terms with unethical practice in the name of preserving conservativism.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Unfortunately for them, the land this country sits on has a long history of violent revolutions when the will of the people are ignored. If you think blue states will sit back and take it, hoo boy.

The problem is that the way Orban did it in Hungary, will enough people even realize it/understand what is going on? Slow and subtle dismantling of institutions means the GOP can do it without invoking the ire of the masses.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately for them, the land this country sits on has a long history of violent revolutions when the will of the people are ignored. If you think blue states will sit back and take it, hoo boy.

The problem is that the way Orban did it in Hungary, will enough people even realize it/understand what is going on? Slow and subtle dismantling of institutions means the GOP can do it without invoking the ire of the masses.
The other main issue is that the liberals/the left/whatever you want to call it in the US have been socialized for decades that the only way to express dissent against the political system is by electoral participation, while the right has been similarly socialized to think in more...er, direct terms. There's going to be a real "but we can't do that" barrier that has to get overcome before anything more radical then "We have to win the next election harder!" gets serious tractions

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The other main issue is that the liberals/the left/whatever you want to call it in the US have been socialized for decades that the only way to express dissent against the political system is by electoral participation, while the right has been similarly socialized to think in more...er, direct terms. There's going to be a real "but we can't do that" barrier that has to get overcome before anything more radical then "We have to win the next election harder!" gets serious tractions

A big part of this problem being, of course, that the part of the left that makes a peep otherwise tends to get assassinated, imprisoned, disrupted or sidelined.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019

This is also true. But what I was talking about it is really an education/governmental awareness problem. Here's an example, what percentage of the population is aware that the secretary of state in each state is in charge of certifying elections (probably a higher percentage after the last election admittedly). If the GOP does something like change the laws so it's a partisan process accomplished by a specific committee within the state legislature, how many people would figure out that this is a really big problem?

How about something more subtle? What if agencies like the FCC or SEC begin to be dismantled in exchange for support by media, tech, and capital firms? I know this sounds like conspiracy nonsense, but reading up on it, that's essentially the kind of stuff Orban did over a period of 10 years…

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

The cycle continues as expected.

1) A right-winger gives Trump praise/air time/etc.

2) Trump cries/whines and bashes the right-winger.

Every damn time. These people NEVER learn.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA

Infrastructure week is here! 68 voted to end debate on the bill. Now they just need to run out the clock (30 hours remaining) and pass the bill with a simple majority on Tuesday.

Budget resolution tomorrow!

OP
OP
SSF1991

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018

Infrastructure week is here! 68 voted to end debate on the bill. Now they just need to run out the clock (30 hours remaining) and pass the bill with a simple majority on Tuesday.

There's some Trump supporters in the tweet's replies that are...not thrilled at the GOPers that voted for this.

And people think Dems have a problem of fighting amongst themselves. That's nothing compared to the GOP. lol

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
He's not a real doctor. Not in a Board Certified sense. Only in a "If I insist I'm a Doctor and repeat it enough people will think I'm a Doctor" sense.

motherfucker doesn't even have an undergrad degree. That's how out of touch these people are with today's world. He dropped out of undergrad and was admitted as a legacy student into Duke medical school because Duke has one of the highest family admission rates in the country and at the time they didn't require a bachelors degree.

can you even imagine that scenario in today's world?

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
motherfucker doesn't even have an undergrad degree. That's how out of touch these people are with today's world. He dropped out of undergrad and was admitted as a legacy student into Duke medical school because Duke has one of the highest family admission rates in the country and at the time they didn't require a bachelors degree.

He is the biggest fraud. Every thing about him is phony. It's unreal.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Roberts is foaming at the mouth thinking about gutting a new Voting Rights Act.

Haha True. He seemed to signal that there is something the Federal government can do in regards to voting rights but we'll see if he stands by that if it comes down to it.

I'd rather Congress try than not. Otherwise, Texas will just make it harder and harder to vote and easier to overturn elections.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Rand is terrible and always manages to spew bullshit lies. Kids aren't overcrowding ICU with the flu every year asshole. R's are the worst.

Our two party system is beyond dysfunctional that lunatics like this are able to spout dangerous health misinformation without repercussion. Idiots will look to him as a voice of authority, same as Fauci but not working for the Deep State. This just gets children killed or having to live with long COVID. These kids cannot be vaccinated ad yet here he is repeating lies it is no worse than the flu. This shit is maddening.

Schools have started in Texas and will start this week in Florida.

Children's hospitals in areas seeing a surge in Covid cases are experiencing the same pattern: More children are coming in with Covid symptoms just ahead of the start of the school year. Bed shortages and overworked doctors and nurses in children's hospitals are becoming commonplace.

www.nbcnews.com

Unvaccinated adults are bringing Covid home to their kids. Pediatricians are overwhelmed.

“Absolutely household infections are the beginning of this pandemic, that is a major driving force in the spread of infections. We see it often within households, parents to children,” a pediatrician said.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Rand is really doing his best to climb to the top of my Most Hated Republican list.

Most CDC guidelines are barely even enforceable. Nobody's getting arrested for not getting vaxxed or not wearing a mask or failing to socially diatance. The expectation ought to be that people will do it because there's no reason not to... Unless some asshole is telling them that doing so is striking a blow against tyranny or some such bullshit. Just directly encouraging people to endanger themselves and others because he thinks it's to his political advantage.

I know he's not a real deal doctor but damn I wish somebody could take away his medical degree or something.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018

www.npr.org

Senate Democrats Roll Child Care And Immigration Into A $3.5T Budget Framework

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer unveiled the plan that would begin a lengthy process of writing partisan spending bills. The plan omits the debt ceiling, which must be increased by Oct. 1.
www.npr.org

As Democrats look to cut their spending bill, here's a reminder of where they started

The party laid out bold priorities this summer, including major investments in climate initiatives, health care and the child tax credit. But it's become clear that some cuts will have to happen.

Last edited:

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
The budget sounds pretty damn good to me, and not to praise Trump but I swear he did mandate some sort of federal paid paternity leave in 2017 or 18. Was that just for federal employees?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
www.yahoo.com

New York prosecutors have evidence that Allen Weisselberg's son also avoided taxes by living rent-free in Trump's apartment, report says

Prosecutors say Barry Weisselberg, a Trump Organization employee, did the same thing that led to an indictment of his father, The Daily Beast reported.

This is interesting. I didn't think charges against Weisselberg himself would cause him to flip. Charges against his son, though? That could do it.
FYI the charges against him were already big enough to make Trump nervous and way bigger than the armchairs thought they'd be (we're talking jaywalking vs Grand Theft level scope), this on top of that is some major leverage

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
So the two sections about revitalizing communities for new economic innovation, and strengthening US manufacturing supply chains; is that related to the chip and semiconductor manufacturing in the US with that horizons bill?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

What the fuck. This is why you need details on how these people got in, this is like trump with his MBA levels of terrible I wouldn't be shocked this asshole had someone else doing most of his work for him.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.