• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
For everyone's information the only poll that shows Newsom successfully being recalled has Republicans pegged at 105% turnout which I shouldn't need to remind you is literally impossible

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
For everyone's information the only poll that shows Newsom successfully being recalled has Republicans pegged at 105% turnout which I shouldn't need to remind you is literally impossible
Wasn't it also like 70% white too?

I see ads featuring Warren urging people to vote no pretty consistently here, particularly on the channels with Olympics. Haven't seen any pro recall ads that I can remember. I think not having any clear standout Republican candidate hurts them.

Either way, our bullshit recall process needs to be changed to a higher threshold. Republicans are gonna just try it every time now as it requires such few voters to sign onto compared to actually ya know trying to win an election outright here.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't it also like 70% white too?

I see ads featuring Warren urging people to vote no pretty consistently here, particularly on the channels with Olympics. Haven't seen any pro recall ads that I can remember. I think not having any clear standout Republican candidate hurts them.

Either way, our bullshit recall process needs to be changed to a higher threshold. Republicans are gonna just try it every time now as it requires such few voters to sign onto compared to actually ya know trying to win an election outright here.
To be fair, the recall petition deadline was extended twice and went unchallenged in court.

Oct 27, 2017
I guessed they just missed how these lawyers have to pay for Facebook and Dominion's legal fees for bringing made-up shit to court.

The attorney here is saying the exact story they want the followers to believe. That family is going to lose even more now.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I have been watching this closely. Basically there is a scholarship fund for children who are bullied. You would need to apply and be accepted. They did not make any concessions about mask mandates. Also, this was granted so that kids who were bullied for NOT wearing a mask could go elsewhere. ffs.
thats still a massive bracktrack from "we will defund schools that require masks"

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
If only there was video....

You can hear people saying get down he has a gun. Meanwhile she is following house members maybe 50 feet down the hall that was protected by officiers and knows damn well what she s doing. Fuck her. You're right you can watch the video it is clear as day filmed no more than 3 feet away from her as she attempts to climb through a broken glass window after the congress people. She was a threat to national security at that point.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
thats still a massive bracktrack from "we will defund schools that require masks"
There is no back track at all. DeSantis will still defund, he already did it last year and then spent off the money that was slated to fund virtual schools for every school.

I think you may misinterpret what has happened. The stipulation was made in favor of students who do not want to be masked.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
This is big. Now give us some permanent cancellation of at least 10k!

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018

Doesn't sound like that's coming yet, if at all.

I don't think that necessarily contradicts the possibility of some student debt relief if they still are unsure if the executive branch has the capability to do so. Would like a formal answer for that situation.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Slow your roll. Trump doesn't get reinstated till the 13th.

But Joe, that tie doesn't match, at all...
I'm not sure if you're keeping up with MyPillow guy, but 13th is no longer the date. It's now August 30th. He is also doing a "Cybersecurity Symposium" in Sioux Falls on the 10th where he is going to reveal the incredible evidence.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
This is big. Now give us some permanent cancellation of at least 10k!

Unless they are going to announce actual forgiveness next Jan, this is one of the dumbest moves He could do.
The

The year of the midterms, you're going to have young people paying back a loan they havent had to pay in nearly two years? Great way to get them to stay home.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Unless they are going to announce actual forgiveness next Jan, this is one of the dumbest moves He could do.
The

The year of the midterms, you're going to have young people paying back a loan they havent had to pay in nearly two years? Great way to get them to stay home.

What is the cross over of young voters that would have been enthusiastic to vote in the midterms if their payment relief ended now vs if their payment relief ends in Jan 2022. Come on...

Doing something is better than doing nothing while they figure out if its possible to get student debt forgiveness done.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
What is the cross over of young voters that would have been enthusiastic to vote in the midterms if their payment relief ended now vs if their payment relief ends in Jan 2022. Come on...

Doing something is better than doing nothing while they figure out if its possible to get student debt forgiveness done.

what I am saying is ending this 9-10 months before an election, you better have a plan in place for some forgiveness.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
i dont see 10 Republicans giving two shits about helping poor/middle class folks with their student loan debt.

They can definitely put this in a reconciliation bill- probably the 2022 one- the question is would they. It would probably be hundreds of billions, if not trillions, for universal student debt relief. Something tells me Manchin is not on board with that...

Edit: Just did a rough calculation with the amount of people that hold student loan debt and 10,000 in relief for each of them. It would be nearly as much as the whole bipartisan infrastructure bill...

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Congress interprets that as a deadline - that means debt forgiveness by that date is a must.

already framing it as Biden's job not theirs, or at least tweet-paraphrasing is positioning it as such

The extension is good and, realistically, Biden should probably try an EO for whatever he thinks will actually stand, but Congress needs to address the costs of college & outstanding loans at some point and the constant framing of the issue as Biden's problem doesn't feel great.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I've been vocal from the beginning that they'd use this as a political ploy for 2022 elections. It certainly looks that way now.

I'm not a fan of it. I think it's a divisive issue that hurts them with independent voters.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've been vocal from the beginning that they'd use this as a political ploy for 2022 elections. It certainly looks that way now.

I'm not a fan of it. I think it's a divisive issue that hurts them with independent voters.

I think you could sell forgiveness that's equal to the median of the debt load of people who have gone to a 4-year public school.

$50,000 ain't happening, though.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I think even that's going to drive independents to vote GOP. Polling on this issue was not good last month.
I think you would have to design a program that offers tax rebates for those that have paid off loans in the last 5-10 years or so too. Probably the only way head off a backlash of people pissed others got relief and they didn't.

Feb 14, 2018
I think even that's going to drive independents to vote GOP. Polling on this issue was not good last month.
They're definitely not going to spend hundreds of billions on something they think is politically toxic. But student loan debt is a crisis that has to be addressed somehow, and Biden did promise relief during his campaign. That means they'll either have to find a way to make it politically acceptable - through making it targeted or some other compromise, probably reducing the total cost - or do it subtly or gradually enough that most people don't notice.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
they also need to make it so that people with way too much debt can bankrupt out of it

currently a life sentence which is ridiculous

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Its all terrible because it cant be discharged. Its bullshit. No other debt is like this.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
Its all terrible because it cant be discharged. Its bullshit. No other debt is like this.

Yep. I filed for my first and only bankruptcy four years ago, no student loans included. Thankfully I am in a much different place now but that debt will be with me until
Its eventually forgiven. Hopefully by then, Warren will have been successful in not having forgiven student loan debt be counted as taxable income.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yep. I filed for my first and only bankruptcy four years ago, no student loans included. Thankfully I am in a much different place now but that debt will be with me until
Its eventually forgiven. Hopefully by then, Warren will have been successful in not having forgiven student loan debt be counted as taxable income.
I'd do bankruptcy for student loans in a heartbeat, I've never made enough despite my schooling for it to matter

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Still think the more politically expedient way is to have a low % IBR with a quick forgiveness that isn't taxable.

Last edited:

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just keep delaying payments to federal student loans over and over. Basically cancels them without cancelling them.

Jamal Jenkins

Sep 22, 2019
Fetterman rhymes with Letterman and Western PA Democrats don't really perform well statewide, so it's Big John's race to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.