• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
It was okay coverage, but they spent way too much time on the Q Shaman and that hick with a feet on Pelosi's desk, and not enough time on the people who were literally murdered there. A lot of the coverage made it seem like the GOP threw a rager in Congress instead of really getting across that it was a murderous mob
This is a fair assessment. You're right about the focus in the absurdities of it. They did spend time covering the seriousness of it but it did get lost in the weirder stuff.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
Half the problem is the media at large refuses to label them as anything more extreme than one of the two sides. They'll talk for days about their regressive legislation and support for terrorism and insurrection but won't dare go as far as calling them terrorists or fascists themselves.

Yep.

Like I said, in a saner world, this wouldn't be the case.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
This is a fair assessment. You're right about the focus in the absurdities of it. They did spend time covering the seriousness of it but it did get lost in the weirder stuff.

And to be clear, I don't think it was necessarily malicious in the cackling villain sort of way. I see why the shaman guy drew more coverage; crazy sells papers

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
>"Megyn Kelly" trending
>Its her downplaying Jan 6

They know what they did and how bad it looks. All they can do is downplay it and hope idiots and the media follow.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Here's the thing, though - this part of the population has always existed. Impeach Earl Warren signs were up all over the country in the aftermath of Brown and people on JFK's staff joked about how it was a bad idea for him to visit Dallas in the leadup to his assassination. It's just that the authoritarians used to be split, and one half of the authoritarians needed to ally with moderate suburbanites to win elections, and the other half were in a weird alliance with people completely opposed to them, that was slowly falling apart.

I mean, my sad pushback on all of this is the media could've covered it 24/7 the way we wanted them too, and I don't think it would actually effect things that much on the margins. 35-40% have always wanted an authoritarian state and another 5-10% are OK allying w/ the authoritarians to get tax cuts, abortion restrictions, etc.

There is a dark alchemical mixture brewing, composed of stupid republican politicians, and the growing movement among their base to reject everything that isn't part of their delusional ideology.

Republicans will do and say anything to appeal to the base. And the base is growing more demented by the day. It says something when McConnell starts to recognize the danger.

But surprise, the party is quickly becoming comprised solely of people who cannot think beyond the next performative display of loyalty to the crusade.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot fucking believe the thing Manchin got so hung up on in the end was that it was paid for with new taxes. All the progressives had to be like "Uh...yeah I guess if you insist that can be a major part of it. You're really twisting our arms here"

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah can't wait to see what's in the bill. Also cmon Manchin and Sinema listen to the TX Dems.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Drunken Giuliani urged Trump to 'just say we won' on election night

A drunken Rudy Giuliani repeatedly urged Donald Trump to "just say we won" on election night last November, according to a new book, even as key states started to slip away from the president and defeat by Joe Biden drew near.
According to Carol Leonnig and Philip Rucker of the Washington Post, authors of the forthcoming I Alone Can Fix It: Donald J Trump's Catastrophic Final Year, Giuliani approached senior Trump aides early on election night at the White House.

"What's happening in Michigan?" he asked.

The campaign manager, Bill Stepien, chief of staff, Mark Meadows, and senior adviser Jason Miller told him it was too early to know.

"Just say we won," Giuliani said.

The aides said it was the same in Pennsylvania.

"Just say we won," Giuliani said.

"Giuliani's grand plan," the authors report, "was to just say Trump won, state after state, based on nothing. Stepien, Miller and Meadows thought his argument was both incoherent and irresponsible."

Meadows reportedly responded, angrily: "We can't do that. We can't."

But Trump did.
Leonnig and Rucker, co-authors of another Trump bestseller, A Very Stable Genius, report that Giuliani refused to accept the early call of Arizona, another key state, by Fox News.

"Just go declare victory right now," Giuliani reportedly told a furious Trump. "You've got to go declare victory now."

At 2am, Trump walked into the East Room.

"This is a fraud on the American public," he said. "This is an embarrassment to our country. We were getting ready to win this election. Frankly, we did win this election. We did win this election."

www.theguardian.com

Drunken Giuliani urged Trump to ‘just say we won’ on election night, book says

As key states started to slip away from Trump, Rudy Giuliani repeatedly urged former president to lie, according to new book

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The hilarious thing is, taxing the rich (and corporations especially) is in itself a politically popular thing to do. You could announce new corporate taxes without them paying for a thing and people would like it.

So, yeah, sure, it's fully funded. Twist my arm why don't you.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Drunken Giuliani urged Trump to 'just say we won' on election night

www.theguardian.com

Drunken Giuliani urged Trump to ‘just say we won’ on election night, book says

As key states started to slip away from Trump, Rudy Giuliani repeatedly urged former president to lie, according to new book
Lots of us were predicting this exact action from Trump well in advance. Maybe it happened like this, but it was clearly the plan all along with trying to undermine people's confidence in mail in votes etc.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
republicans still going to steal the election then, yeah?

At least they'll have nice new shiny roads to hunt minorities on.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
Still crazy thinking back to that call. Everyone freaking out and worrying that they called AZ too prematurely before anyone else.

Makes me squirm just thinking about it.
say what we will about Fox, their election desk is pretty good. Remember the 2012 election where the election desk was arguing with the news desk about obama winning lol

Status
Not open for further replies.