• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

This is like trying to stop one train from leaving the station while standing on opposing tracks when everyone was screaming at you that another train is about to barrel into you. This wasn't some quiet strategy, we've known they were headed down this path forever. GOP acting blindsided is incredible to watch.

Called it. Like it wasn't really a difficult call either.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, what could Biden even say to bring the GOP back on board other than going back on his word about reconciliation? And that's not happening, surely.

So again this will probably come down to Manchin and Sinema getting fed up with GOP bullshit and going it alone like with COVID relief.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017

This is like trying to stop one train from leaving the station while standing on opposing tracks when everyone was screaming at you that another train is about to barrel into you. This wasn't some quiet strategy, we've known they were headed down this path forever. GOP acting blindsided is incredible to watch.

Yup, they got trapped now and realized that they won't be able to kill Biden's infrastructure proposal.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/06/14/republicans-infrastructure-package-biden-494490

Senate Republicans are mulling support for a massive amount of new spending on infrastructure — in part because they think it'll help kill President Joe Biden's liberal agenda.

Minority Leader Mitch McConnell has yet to tip his hand on whether he supports the bipartisan negotiations on Biden's plan for roads and bridges that are being led by Sens. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) and Rob Portman (R-Ohio). But a growing number of Senate Republicans are betting that if a deal is reached on that sort of physical infrastructure, Democrats won't have the votes needed to pass the rest of Biden's "soft infrastructure" priorities, such as child care and clean energy.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

Yeah with all of that, the GOP has shown their cards and they know 100% what was coming. They're full of it. And if any media tries to paint Dems as the unreasonable ones, then that just shows their asses. Too much out there. So hopefully this thing just falls apart quickly and the reconciliation train gets moving in time for them to be back from their new vacation.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah with all of that, the GOP has shown their cards and they know 100% what was coming. They're full of it. And if any media tries to paint Dems as the unreasonable ones, then that just shows their asses. Too much out there. So hopefully this thing just falls apart quickly and the reconciliation train gets moving in time for them to be back from their new vacation.
The media absolutely is going to frame it as Democrats deviously entrapping the Republicans. I'm so over having any faith of them not amplifying GOP talking points.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Republicans never want anything done unless it meets all of their specific goals and literally nothing else.

The media absolutely is going to frame it as Democrats deviously entrapping the Republicans. I'm so over having any faith of them not amplifying GOP talking points.

Yeah, I fully expect this to be framed as "Biden and democrats can't get anything done while in power."

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

Eh, who is she talking to? If this exercise was required to get the moderates on board like Manchin/Sinema, then what else was Dem leadership supposed to do except go through the exercise? Given what we know now, this was telegraphed for months.

It is dumb we have to go through that, but Sinema/Manchin are kind of dumb and stubborn, so it checks out.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Eh, who is she talking to? If this exercise was required to get the moderates on board like Manchin/Sinema, then what else was Dem leadership supposed to do except go through the exercise? Given what we know now, this was telegraphed for months.

It is dumb we have to go through that, but Sinema/Manchin are kind of dumb and stubborn, so it checks out.
Like just the obviousness of the situation I imagine. I mean, sometimes it just needs to be said. It doesn't have to be directed at anybody in particular.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
I don't think AOC is wrong here, but it looks like this needed to be done so that Manchin and Sinema would hop on to the reconciliation train anyway. They didn't seem to want it a few months ago.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So is the infrastructure bill still safe without the Rs?

I'm just sick of their obstruction at this point.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I don't think AOC is wrong here, but it looks like this needed to be done so that Manchin and Sinema would hop on to the reconciliation train anyway. They didn't seem to want it a few months ago.
What I don't like is, people are still not getting it. Yes you are right, Democrats were just playing the M&S game because they have to, but, if you read the bipartisan deal thread, enough people didn't seem to realize this was going to fall apart. How is it that people can't predict these things at this point? I mean the Republican are being pretty consistent with their betrayals and have been for decades now.

If even people on ERA think "oh hey, finally bipartisanship!" then you have to imagine even people inside the Biden administration were hopeful when there never was a hope. That could mean time being wasted.

So yeah, AOC said it because it's so damn obvious and it still seems like people need to be reminded, each and every time they do it.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
they've literally always known this was going to happen, they've admitted as much, it's a performance for the people on the right that really don't want them to be doing any deals at all

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So, some interesting info about the white working class vote in 2020 -
theliberalpatriot.substack.com

Ten Things We Now Know About the White Working Class Vote in 2020

The Dog That Didn’t Bark

1. The WWC are still 44% of the vote, and more importantly, in Midwestern swing states, they're 7-19 points higher than that. So, if you want to know why their votes matter more than urban or minority voters at times. There ya' go.

2. White non-college turnout went up more than Black or white college educated voter turnout, and about the same as Latino's.

3. White non-college voters made up more of Biden's coalition (32 percent) than white college educated voters (29 percent)

4. For all the talk about white working class dudes being Trump's base, they turned more against Trump than working class women. The shift against Trump among white noncollege voters was almost entirely driven by men. They shifted 7 points against him, while women in this group barely moved at all (.2 points). Which goes against the idea of the white working class vote - a lot of Trump's base are woman cashiers at Dollar Generals in small towns across America, not laid-off factory workers.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So, some interesting info about the white working class vote in 2020 -
theliberalpatriot.substack.com

Ten Things We Now Know About the White Working Class Vote in 2020

The Dog That Didn’t Bark

1. The WWC are still 44% of the vote, and more importantly, in Midwestern swing states, they're 7-19 points higher than that. So, if you want to know why their votes matter more than urban or minority voters at times. There ya' go.

2. White non-college turnout went up more than Black or white college educated voter turnout, and about the same as Latino's.

3. White non-college voters made up more of Biden's coalition (32 percent) than white college educated voters (29 percent)

4. For all the talk about white working class dudes being Trump's base, they turned more against Trump than working class women. The shift against Trump among white noncollege voters was almost entirely driven by men. They shifted 7 points against him, while women in this group barely moved at all (.2 points). Which goes against the idea of the white working class vote - a lot of Trump's base are woman cashiers at Dollar Generals in small towns across America, not laid-off factory workers.
That last result is so weird I almost have to wonder if there's some data error.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Here's a scorching hot take for y'all: the Democratic Party and its leadership is better at politics than apparently like, 90% of this forum (and the rest of the Internet) believes and the Republicans acting like petulant children proves it.

I swear it's the easiest, most tired thing in the world to just drop a "lol Dummycrats snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" in any topic, but Biden's played his hand here perfectly and is making big bad McConnell (along with the other notable R Senators like Graham) look like absolute chumps.

Of course, with that being said we're still a ways from a final bill being on Biden's desk, but we'll get there. I've been given no reason not to trust his, Pelosi and Schumer's competence.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Here's a scorching hot take for y'all: the Democratic Party and its leadership is better at politics than apparently like, 90% of this forum (and the rest of the Internet) believes and the Republicans acting like petulant children proves it.

I swear it's the easiest, most tired thing in the world to just drop a "lol Dummycrats snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" in any topic, but Biden's played his hand here perfectly and is making big bad McConnell (along with the other notable R Senators like Graham) look like absolute chumps.

Of course, with that being said we're still a ways from a final bill being on Biden's desk, but we'll get there. I've been given no reason not to trust his, Pelosi and Schumer's competence.
I tend to agree this time. If Democrats didn't do good here, then Republicans wouldn't be so mad. I mean the issue they are claiming they are mad over is fake, but they are still mad. Mad because they figured out this cant be played the way they wanted it to be.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Yup, There was a tweet from Brian Schatz who did a little mini-AMA during his plane flight than revealed that shockingly, he has been trying to convince fellow Senator's about how getting rid of the filibuster would lead to more bipartisanship, but the Senator's he was talking too were not convinced. The reality is, every "one weird trick" that people think of Twitter or on this forum have likely been thought of by either a Senator or somebody on a Senator's staff, and the reality is, it likely doesn't have majority support or doing it would lead to a loss of support on other issues.

It's also important to remember, for all it's faults, the Democratic Party has been more successful than every other center-left or left-wing party in an OECD country outside of maybe the Portugese or Spanish center-left.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Why is Biden saying he won't sign one without the other? Thats a terrible strategy to sink your own bill.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Yup, There was a tweet from Brian Schatz who did a little mini-AMA during his plane flight than revealed that shockingly, he has been trying to convince fellow Senator's about how getting rid of the filibuster would lead to more bipartisanship, but the Senator's he was talking too were not convinced. The reality is, every "one weird trick" that people think of Twitter or on this forum have likely been thought of by either a Senator or somebody on a Senator's staff, and the reality is, it likely doesn't have majority support or doing it would lead to a loss of support on other issues.

It's also important to remember, for all it's faults, the Democratic Party has been more successful than every other center-left or left-wing party in an OECD country outside of maybe the Portugese or Spanish center-left.

Which just goes to show it's now all about posturing or some kind of long term strategy. We really just have some fucking stupid or naive Democratic senators, or both.

Dangerous people that can't face or see reality as Republicans beat them over the head with how partisan they are, anymore than the Republicans currently saying that Trump is still president.

" I believe there are 10 good Republicans"

sounds the same to my ears as

"I believe Trump is still president"

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I mean, the same things shows in Latino movement toward Trump - it was basically close to double among women than men. For obvious reasons, things like rising crime and security it turns out appeals more to women than men.
Was crime rising in 2020, though? 2020 was dominated by a pandemic that significantly affected Latino communities due to longstanding health and economic neglect that came to a head under his watch.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Why is Biden saying he won't sign one without the other? Thats a terrible strategy to sink your own bill.
No, he said that he won't sign the bipartisan one without the reconciliation one. Because the reconciliation bill has all the stuff we actually want and the bipartisan one exists to make Manchin and Sinema feel good about themselves.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

For $175k a year and a shitton of other perks/benefits, they better be.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Was crime rising in 2020, though? 2020 was dominated by a pandemic that significantly affected Latino communities due to longstanding health and economic neglect that came to a head under his watch.

statistically yes it was but even without it the media narrative was yes. Cities across the country were burning on national television for weeks, if not months

the hypocrisy was that it was under trumps America but they made themselves as the hardliners

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
No, he said that he won't sign the bipartisan one without the reconciliation one. Because the reconciliation bill has all the stuff we actually want and the bipartisan one exists to make Manchin and Sinema feel good about themselves.

Right, to be clear the point of contention isn't that this that negotiation is happening on two rails at the moment, but the fact that he wouldn't sign without both being ready. It's a stupid point to contend on but I mean that's where we're at right now. Dems were always going to get caught trying to be bipartisan, I don't find it some particularly grand strategic move, rather it's more of this slow moving iceberg we had to make sure everyone was aware of as we keep sailing by. This was always how it was going to end.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
He needs the left's votes. The deal has only at most like 10 republicans in the senate and god knows how many in the house. More liberal democrats won't vote for it without climate change stuff and other things.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

To many normie voters in 2020, the Democratic Party except for ole' Joe Biden was the party of defund the police and riots because the only politicians they saw on TV were politicians and media members (who are all Democrat's) who believed in defund the police and defended the riots. I think people don't realize that millions of swing voters think AOC and people like her is the median Democratic Congressperson.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
it's more of this slow moving iceberg we had to make sure everyone was aware of as we keep sailing by. This was always how it was going to end.
giphy.gif

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly the only sticking point that has kept with me for the average voter was that something ridiculous like 1/2 the voting base can't even name the senator they voted for last election. Like most people probably can't even name their own senator, but probably have some ideas about a senator or rep that does shit all for them in particular. Electorate is just wildly uninformed and hold all kinds of opposing views that make no sense, that's just how it goes. Shame is dems simply don't have the FOX-esque machine churning out their message to the masses and never will.

Status
Not open for further replies.