• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
No argument here that they don't communicate publicly enough, but they didn't schedule enough votes for a repeated filibuster fail. Nor do they make enough public appearances on corporate or other media.

But that didn't stop them from near-completely revamping their party platform document, nor getting more varied candidates to run and win the past few years. Their biggest problem is beginning to look like it's not so much a media usage problem, but a bold-and-swift-action-is-for-emergencies-only stance among its small-c conservatism adherents.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
newrepublic.com

Here’s an Idea for Liberals: Propaganda

After every election, Democrats seem to talk about how they failed to craft a clear message. So how about bombarding people with a new kind of campaign ad?

Someone finally wrote the piece that says what I've been yelling about for years

The Democrats' messaging problem is really a media problem. Relying on CNN and the NYT to interpret and disseminate information about the party, its actions, and its priorities is trying to ice skate uphill.

As sad as it is, this is on the money. Advertising and messaging works, or else people/companies would not pour hundreds of billions of dollars into it -- and the results speak for themselves.

Have to fight fire with fire because the country's future really does hang in the balance. Is what it is. We need to activate/keep engaged more potential progressive voters, and shave off a tiny bit more of some of the worst creatures known to man: the average voter D:

I'd rather do that through messaging properly and in a low-brow but appealing manner, than capitulating to insurrection supporting dumbshits.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe if Biden suggested $4t infrastructure for Israel then everyone would have passed it with veto-proof majority.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
All one needs to know regarding how Biden and the WH feels.
Yeah, I think it's pretty clear that Biden has no problem going it alone when push comes to shove, and the bipartisan stuff is more for appearances than anything. People were insistent that Biden's desire for bipartisanship was going to sink the Covid relief bill, too.

Biden will get an infrastructure bill on his desk by hook or by crook that largely lives up to his original proposal.

Oct 27, 2017
Still used up two months, we'll see if that cost in time ends up being well spent politically and makes for a better bill than having started this earlier.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still used up two months, we'll see if that cost in time ends up being well spent politically and makes for a better bill than having started this earlier.
Doubtful. I'm thinking that it will end up being a watered down bill that's much lower than originally planned. They aren't going to skyrocket back up to the initial number after negotiating down as far as they have and they'll still have to use reconciliation which relies on the whims of 1 person. What kills me is the lack of urgency that Democrats currently have.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if Biden suggested $4t infrastructure for Israel then everyone would have passed it with veto-proof majority.
You kid, but this is basically what happened with Endless Frontier, no? It was billed as a "competitiveness with China" bill but ultimately it had a ton of the American Jobs Plan stuff in it.

Just got to jedi mind trick people into thinking it's about something it's not.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
I'm not as pessimistic as most on Era, but I was for Biden -- and never thought he would lose the nomination or Presidency, it was always Biden and only Biden in my thought process -- from the get-go so maybe I'm just a less woke/less pessimistic Liberal Progressive than most on Era?

I still feel like we're going to get voting rights passed and that we'll end up with two infrastructure bills. One via bipartisanship and the other through reconciliation.

And that's perfectly fine.

Biden is of the mindset that you have to at least try to work with the other side. He differs from Obama, however, in that he won't compromise downwards to get nothing or a weakened bill. If he has to settle for a weakened bipartisan approach, he'll do so if he can get the rest from reconciliation. It's clear he won't sacrifice results for bipartisanship. That doesn't help the American people and he knows that.

What people seem to be missing here is that Biden is willing to negotiate down for a bipartisan bill, but he isn't willing to negotiate away those important things -- he'll simply get those priorities passed in another bill if necessary.

After all what's better than a big infrastructure bills? Two big infrastructure bills.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
I'm not as pessimistic as most on Era, but I was for Biden -- and never thought he would lose the nomination or Presidency, it was always Biden and only Biden in my thought process -- from the get-go so maybe I'm just a less woke/less pessimistic Liberal Progressive than most on Era?

I still feel like we're going to get voting rights passed and that we'll end up with two infrastructure bills. One via bipartisanship and the other through reconciliation.

Biden is of the mindset that you have to at least try to work with the other side. He differs from Obama, however, in that he won't compromise downwards to get nothing or a weakened bill. If he has to settle for a weakened bipartisan approach, he'll do so if he can get the rest from reconciliation. It's clear he won't sacrifice results for bipartisanship. That doesn't help the American people and he knows that.

What people seem to be missing here is that Biden is willing to negotiate down for a bipartisan bill, but he isn't willing to negotiate away those important things -- he'll simply get those priorities passed in another bill if necessary.

After all what's better than a big infrastructure bills? Two big infrastructure bills.
i appreciate your optimism, but i don't see voting rights being passed at all with a filibuster. manchin opposes for the people act and wants the john lewis act, but still the hurdle is the filibuster. I don't see the tax raises for the rich in any infrastructure bill ever passing with this current congress. I expect watered down bills that will appease Republicans but they'll still vote against. Democrats have a year and a half to get anything bold done.. and they seem to have a lack of urgency.

I doubt Biden's agenda will be passed in full. I want to be wrong.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Voting rights isn't happening without ending the filibuster. It makes no sense to do 2 infrastructure bills. Nothing acceptable is getting 60 votes anyway. it's just a waste of time at this point. All negotiations are doing is weakening their final position. They aren't going to go back up to 4 trillion when they've shown they are ok with 1.2 trillion.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Reminder that Garland was the compromise that was supposed to pass the McConnell senate before the grim reaper ended up moving the football away from Charlie Brown. Dems are such useless, spineless, whipped fucks.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine being a decent person reporting from there and not like straight losing my mind and just start fist fighting the whole crowd right there

"Spiritual Warfare" L M A O

keep alienating those young kids you need to fund your church

Oct 27, 2017
These motherfuckers are why religion is dying at alarming rate in america

acclerating the conditions of misery to the point of absolute no return in the damn state

the day Missouri gets a democratic candidate to win the governor the whole missouri GOP will storm the state capitol to stop it

mark my word

Oct 27, 2017
I keep hearing spiritual warfare from older people around not as often

Great fucking propaganda

just awesome shit

keep alienating young people from religion

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
Voting rights isn't happening without ending the filibuster. It makes no sense to do 2 infrastructure bills. Nothing acceptable is getting 60 votes anyway. it's just a waste of time at this point. All negotiations are doing is weakening their final position. They aren't going to go back up to 4 trillion when they've shown they are ok with 1.2 trillion.
When was it EVER 4? Biden administrations start was never that high (nor does it necessarily need to be).

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that Garland was the compromise that was supposed to pass the McConnell senate before the grim reaper ended up moving the football away from Charlie Brown. Dems are such useless, spineless, whipped fucks.
This is hilariously emblematic of the Dems' media/messaging problem. It's not as much that Dems rely on mainstream corporate media to a fault and lack their own propoganda machine (not something we should aspire to anyway) — it's that left of center folks are just as eager to go after Democrats as Republicans, sometimes even more so. When Fox News worships Trump as a god, while everyone from CNN to The Young Turks will go after Biden for anything whether it's actually deserved or not, is it any wonder that there's a stronger homogeneity among the right?

"McConnell did wrong, fuck the Dems" is exactly the kind of thing that lowers the bar for Republicans and puts the onus for everything wrong in America on Democrats.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When was it EVER 4? Biden administrations start was never that high (nor does it necessarily need to be).
www.wsj.com

Biden’s $4 Trillion Plan Now Gets Test in Congress

Democrats face a series of political and logistical questions as they seek to pass President Biden’s $1.8 trillion child-care and education plan while also juggling the White House’s $2.3 trillion infrastructure package.

I thought all of this was combined together and is currently being negotiated together.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is hilariously emblematic of the Dems' media/messaging problem. It's not as much that Dems rely on mainstream corporate media to a fault and lack their own propoganda machine (not something we should aspire to anyway) — it's that left of center folks are just as eager to go after Democrats as Republicans, sometimes even more so. When Fox News worships Trump as a god, while everyone from CNN to The Young Turks will go after Biden for anything whether it's actually deserved or not, is it any wonder that there's a stronger homogeneity among the right?

"McConnell did wrong, fuck the Dems" is exactly the kind of thing that lowers the bar for Republicans and puts the onus for everything wrong in America on Democrats.
There was zero reason to award Merrick Garland the AG job after the Trump admin though. Wrong candidate for the times we are currently in and he's shown to be sufficiently terrible at his job with the decisions he's made so far. We should have gotten a progressive leader at the DOJ that would root out the corruption. Garland is more than willing to protect Trump and the previous administration. I'm also skeptical about the timing of this voting rights press conference yesterday. All of a sudden this popped up on the schedule after it came out that the DOJ spied on Congress. There weren't any actual plans laid out to do anything either except to double the number of voting rights lawyers from 12 to 24 in 30 days.

Also, noone here was able to provide any examples or evidence of a DOJ IG investigation that has ever actually turned into anything.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
There was zero reason to award Merrick Garland the AG job after the Trump admin though.
Well, other than being highly qualified and likely agreeing with Biden on how to do things (plus the experience against white supremacy) there is the thing where his vacating the DC circuit meant putting a black woman there so she's ready for the Supreme Court.

Oct 27, 2017
There was zero reason to award Merrick Garland the AG job after the Trump admin though. Wrong candidate for the times we are currently in and he's shown to be sufficiently terrible at his job with the decisions he's made so far. We should have gotten a progressive leader at the DOJ that would root out the corruption. Garland is more than willing to protect Trump and the previous administration. I'm also skeptical about the timing of this voting rights press conference yesterday. All of a sudden this popped up on the schedule after it came out that the DOJ spied on Congress. There weren't any actual plans laid out to do anything either except to double the number of voting rights lawyers from 12 to 24 in 30 days.

Also, noone here was able to provide any examples or evidence of a DOJ IG investigation that has ever actually turned into anything.

No one here is required to do research for you, or respond to repeated dares to try and prove you unjustified in your opinion. Especially to a post that is just an assessment of what you currently see from the situation and your suspicions.

As an opinion post it's fine, really it's fine. But it's not more true just because no one in the thread responded to your dare for information.

Besides, you see how quiet things are here this weekend, people are tending to their own lives instead.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

YouTube has suspended Sen. Ron Johnson from uploading videos for one week after the Wisconsin Republican's account shared a clip in which he touted the supposed benefits of hydroxychloroquine and another drug in fighting covid-19.
According to Fox News Channel, a YouTube spokesperson said the video was in violation of Google's policy against medical misinformation.
"We removed the video in accordance with our COVID-19 medical misinformation policies, which don't allow content that encourages people to use Hydroxychloroquine or Ivermectin to treat or prevent the virus," the spokesperson said, according to Fox News.

www.nbcnews.com

YouTube suspends GOP Sen. Ron Johnson's account, says he violated Covid-19 policy

The video giant said it doesn't allow posting of information that contradicts health authorities. Johnson's office complained of "censorship."

🤡 "free exchange of medical ideas" 🤡

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

YouTube has suspended Sen. Ron Johnson from uploading videos for one week after the Wisconsin Republican's account shared a clip in which he touted the supposed benefits of hydroxychloroquine and another drug in fighting covid-19.
According to Fox News Channel, a YouTube spokesperson said the video was in violation of Google's policy against medical misinformation.
"We removed the video in accordance with our COVID-19 medical misinformation policies, which don't allow content that encourages people to use Hydroxychloroquine or Ivermectin to treat or prevent the virus," the spokesperson said, according to Fox News.

www.nbcnews.com

YouTube suspends GOP Sen. Ron Johnson's account, says he violated Covid-19 policy

The video giant said it doesn't allow posting of information that contradicts health authorities. Johnson's office complained of "censorship."

🤡 "free exchange of medical ideas" 🤡

What a drama queen. Literally nobody will die because his idiotic account got banned for a week.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
What a drama queen. Literally nobody will die because his idiotic account got banned for a week.

He knew that would happen. His goal wasn't the meds, it was getting a "Big Tech is censoring conservatives" story. Kinda dumb choice of topic though, all the whackjobs drank stockpiled their hydroxychloroquine a year ago, and no one else cares. It's like trying to rile up a room full of nerds about Age of Ultron; very outdated

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
www.wsj.com

Biden’s $4 Trillion Plan Now Gets Test in Congress

Democrats face a series of political and logistical questions as they seek to pass President Biden’s $1.8 trillion child-care and education plan while also juggling the White House’s $2.3 trillion infrastructure package.

I thought all of this was combined together and is currently being negotiated together.
Maybe I'm wrong or being overly optimistic, but I have confidence in President Biden to get things done. I'll wait this out and trust the process. I think by the end of this all, we'll have pretty much close to everything we were expecting.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

www.cnbc.com

Trump spokesman Jason Miller leaving his role to join tech start-up

Jason Miller is becoming CEO of a tech start-up, a source told CNBC without providing any additional details.

Former President Donald Trump's longtime aide and current spokesman Jason Miller is leaving his role, a source familiar with the plans told CNBC on Thursday.
Miller, who has worked for Trump since his 2016 presidential campaign, is letting go of his full-time duties as the former president's spokesman to become the CEO of a tech start-up, the source said without providing any additional details.
No start date or transition timeline has been revealed, and no announcement is imminent, the source said.
But according to the source, the yet-unnamed company owns a social media platform that is "under consideration" by Trump, who has hinted he will join a new social media channel after being kicked off Twitter and Facebook in January following the deadly Capitol invasion.
Miller will be the first CEO of the tech company, which has had a platform in development since last year, the source said when pressed for further information about the start-up. Miller will nonetheless stay in Trump's orbit and will remain an ally of Trump's team, per the source.
It's unclear who will fill the soon-to-be-vacant role. Margo Martin, another press aide for Trump, referred CNBC to Miller for comment.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

edition.cnn.com

Former Deputy AG Rosenstein has said he was not aware of subpoena for lawmakers' data, source says

Ex-top Trump Justice Department official Rod Rosenstein has told people in recent days he was not aware of a subpoena that targeted the data of Democratic members of Congress while he was deputy attorney general, a source familiar with Rosenstein told CNN on Saturday.

Ex-top Trump Justice Department official Rod Rosenstein has told people in recent days he was not aware of a subpoena that targeted the data of Democratic members of Congress while he was deputy attorney general, a source familiar with Rosenstein told CNN on Saturday.
The attorney general at the time of the Apple subpoena, Jeff Sessions, was recused from all matters related to the Russia probe so a related leak investigation would have fallen under Rosenstein, CNN has reported. Former Attorney General Bill Barr, who took office a year after the subpoena was issued, also said Friday he does not recall discussing a probe of lawmakers.
Rosenstein's distancing from the controversial investigation comes as details released by Apple show the government presented the company with a broad subpoena for data connected to many numbers and emails and then put it under a gag order preventing disclosures to customers. The subpoena did not describe the nature of the investigation.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they are so fucked but sigh. Also lol how everyone involved in the corporate side are absolutely distancing themselves and commenting on it cuz fuuuuuuuck.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

edition.cnn.com

Former Deputy AG Rosenstein has said he was not aware of subpoena for lawmakers' data, source says

The attorney general at the time of the Apple subpoena, Jeff Sessions, was recused from all matters related to the Russia probe so a related leak investigation would have fallen under Rosenstein, CNN has reported. Former Attorney General Bill Barr, who took office a year after the subpoena was issued, also said Friday he does not recall discussing a probe of lawmakers.
Rosenstein's distancing from the controversial investigation comes as details released by Apple show the government presented the company with a broad subpoena for data connected to many numbers and emails and then put it under a gag order preventing disclosures to customers. The subpoena did not describe the nature of the investigation.

So...nobody knows?

Lol come on.

Oct 26, 2017
So if none of the former AGs were "aware" of spying on Congressional members on the intelligence committee, then who was it? And how was it possible for the DoJ to spy on Congress without any of the AGs in the entire Trump tenure knowing about it?

Obviously something isn't adding up.

Barr seems the most sketchy so far because one minute he says he wasn't aware of the subpoenas but then a minute later he's saying he brought in a prosecutor to "conclude" the investigations. The investigations he knows nothing about.. Also he laced his statements with "I don't recall.."

That said, the original investigations did start in 2017, so it seems bizarre that neither Sessions or Hot Rod know about them.

Also has ANY Republican in Congress commented on the spying aside from Matt Gaetz? I find it very curious that out of the half-dozen articles I've read, I haven't heard a single on the record or background quote from a GOP member. Makes me think the situation may be radioactive for them as well if certain GOP intel members *cough* Nunez *cough* were collaborating with the DoJ on which records to seize from Democrats. The complete silence from the GOP is very curious...

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty safe to assume that all the former AGs are playing their "don't recall" cards to try and dodge this one. We'll see if it works.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
Also has ANY Republican in Congress commented on the spying aside from Matt Gaetz? I find it very curious that out of the half-dozen articles I've read, I haven't heard a single on the record or background quote from a GOP member. Makes me think the situation may be radioactive for them as well if certain GOP intel members *cough* Nunez *cough* were collaborating with the DoJ on which records to seize from Democrats. The complete silence from the GOP is very curious...
Yesterday Grassley said he doesn't care, it's totally normal. This matters for some committee reason in the senate, but has no bearing on a potential house investigation.

Erpy

May 31, 2018

Democrats in general believe that society works best when the government and its institutions are functional. That includes, among other things, a DOJ that's relatively independent and somewhat detached from political considerations that drive the party and administration heading it. (or at least makes an effort to uphold that image, even if things below the surface are not that black and white) Someone wondering why Dems don't want to emulate Barr and advocating a "do what you can get away with" approach operated under the belief that Dems were only revulsed by Barr because his corruption worked to their political disadvantage.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
liberal thinking is having two watered down shitty bills is better than 1 big one lmao
I never said two watered down bills. I said two bills to satisfy the entirety of the needs is possible; one bipartisan, the other the rest.

Either that, or the bipartisan approach ends with nothing and Democrats go it alone with a strong bill via reconciliation.

Some of you continue to believe things that aren't true.. Namely that Biden prefers a watered down bill that's bipartisan over a strong bill that satisfies the country's needs.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
When you leaving this doomed country, max?

C'mon, that's dangerously close to 'Love it or leave it' territory.

Totally agree, great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.