• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
For real. Let it fail and let Manchin make up some other bullshit reason he won't do what's needed.

At this point someone needs to be looking at his and Sinema's campaign contributions.

i better not ever hear this man say he's an ally of Black Americans after this

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
Oct 25, 2017
Many of us weren't doomposting when we kept freaking out over his statements,

too many people in here were convinced this was some sort of political game he was playing. He's been telling us what he isn't going to do for months now.

He sucks. Dems should just literally name and shame him. Him and Sinema are the main roadblocks right now as to why nothing is going to get done.

I guess wanting to make Biden a "successful" President was just literal shit coming out of his mouth.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ

Manchin: "I believe that partisan voting legislation will destroy the already weakening binds of our democracy, and for that reason, I will vote against the For the People Act. Furthermore, I will not vote to weaken or eliminate the filibuster."
Is this the first time he's explicitly said he would not vote for the For the People act?

EDIT: You dense mothefucker that's not going to pass either

What a piece of shit…

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Not nuking the filibuster would be a monumental mistake that will give Republicans free reign to dismantle democracy at the state level.

I'm not sure Biden and his handlers understand what's at stake here.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
It's actually good news in Fort Worth:

Since the city uses a city council system, Dems gained control of the city.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Not nuking the filibuster would be a monumental mistake that will give Republicans free reign to dismantle democracy at the state level.

Of course they don't. Democrats are worthless--I only vote for them because the alternative is significantly worse.

Oct 25, 2017

They don't. No matter what happens those people will be fine.

But you can forget immigration, voting rights, student debt, etc

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Yup. Just pack it up now. Many of us said this for months. They don't give a shit. Good luck getting people to turn out in elections
We still don't know what he's going to do after he finds out he can't get 10 Republicans on anything.
My Republican colleague, Sen. Lisa Murkowski, has joined me in urging Senate leadership to update and pass this bill through regular order.
Like here, I'm trying to imagine what's going to happen after Murkowski votes against it as well. Everything is headed for filibuster buzzsaw.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
We still don't know what he's going to do after he finds out he can't get 10 Republicans on anything.

Like here, I'm trying to imagine what's going to happen after Murkowski votes against it as well. Everything is headed for filibuster buzzsaw.
We for sure know. He'll put out a strongly worded statement highlighting his shock and exasperation but noting how he remains confident that the Senate still works and that the filibuster must remain.

Oct 22, 2020
I do think people are really sleeping on the impact that the monthly direct payments for children from the ARP are going to have on the political landscape. I think it could be massive, and be extremely beneficial for us in next year's elections. I suspect that hardly anyone in this country even knows they're going to start arriving next month.

But that's no fucking excuse for failing to protect voting rights legislatively. No fucking excuse whatsoever. Nor is it a guarantee that the political benefit from the payments can override the barriers being enacted by Republicans.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a summary of what is in the For The Prople voting act and then one for the John Lewis Voting act? What is it about the former that Manchin doesn't support but does for the latter?

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Is there a summary of what is in the For The Prople voting act and then one for the John Lewis Voting act? What is it about the former that Manchin doesn't support but does for the latter?

John Lewis Voting Act is reinstatement of the Voting Rights Act that addresses the issues the Supreme Court had issues with and struck it down.

For the People Act is a larger, more complex series of changes including addressing gerrymandering.

Its simply because it isn't bipartisan. That's it.

This is why I have really cut down coming to this thread anymore. Just instant reactions to everything and no actual information or helpfulness.

Oct 25, 2017
John Lewis Voting Act is reinstatement of the Voting Rights Act that addresses the issues the Supreme Court had issues with and struck it down.

For the People Act is a larger, more complex series of changes including addressing gerrymandering.

This is why I have really cut down coming to this thread anymore. Just instant reactions to everything and no actual information or helpfulness.

Manchin literally said this is the reason. That answers the question of why Manchin won't support it.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
HR1 doesn't have anything in it to address the issue of state officials overriding local officials with the new laws in states like Georgia, so it's not a perfect bill. I don't know if Manchin will cave at this point, so our best bet might be to just look forward into 2022 to plan out how we can increase our majorities then.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017

You can't nuke the filibuster without Manchin. I don't know what you think Biden can do about that or the razor thin margins the Dems have in Congress.

Aug 7, 2020
It was more of a mixed back. Dems couldn't win the mayoral races in Fort Worth and Arlington and McAllen even flipped to Republicans (though the former Dem mayor endorsed him). It's still gives Dems a path by giving progressives some experience first.
However did flip city council in Denton and Plano so it's not that bad . The only problem with the mayoral races is low turnout but the gpa barely won the mayoral race for forth worth ,anyways . Second , the mayor has to compromise her agenda to democrats which in likelihood put her power within executive command .

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
Been seeing a lot of the Right crying about this doctor being banned from Twitter as an example of cancel culture. Looked into it and seems a bit of a crackpot

www.bbc.co.uk

Covid: Twitter suspends Naomi Wolf after tweeting anti-vaccine misinformation

The American author tweeted a wide-range of unfounded theories about vaccines.

www.thecut.com

Here’s an Actual Nightmare: Naomi Wolf Learning On-Air That Her Book Is Wrong

Somewhere in the pantheon of anxiety dreams near “showing up to work naked” is “learning on-air that your book is totally wrong.”

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Screenshot_20210606-090559_Discord.jpg

Oct 22, 2020
Okay, so we know he's against the actual legislation, but is he going to vote no on cloture and actually vote to support a Republican filibuster on the legislation?

May seem like a distinction without a difference, but voting no on cloture is an even bigger "fuck you" to Schumer and the rest of the Dem caucus in my view.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
I'm not seeing it much here, moreso in OT, but let's not conflate this with "guess I just won't vote for Democrats anymore". The solution here is to elect more Democrats so that we don't have to deal with these shitstains.

Lil Boat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not seeing it much here, moreso in OT, but let's not conflate this with "guess I just won't vote for Democrats anymore". The solution here is to elect more Democrats so that we don't have to deal with these shitstains.

Yeah lets just vote for the party that has complete control of the Federal Government and can't pass the most basic thing that needs to be done to protect our Democracy.

I'm not saying thats what I'm thinking but I'm not going to fault the general public for looking at this situation and thinking that. People worked their fucking asses off to give Democrats a majority and this is how they repay us.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

Can you blame people when the Dems hold all the control but can't pass anything to protect voting rights?

I don't believe that's true. I don't think Manchin and Sinema are the only ones against changing or removing the filibuster. I don't know if Dems from red states would be for doing it either.

Oct 25, 2017

I'll keep my opinions to myself about the future, but I'll say this. What Manchin and Sinema are doing doesn't boost morale. IMO it doesn't make anyone "excited" to vote.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Yeah lets just vote for the party that has complete control of the Federal Government and can't pass the most basic thing that needs to be done to protect our Democracy.

I'm not saying thats what I'm thinking but I'm not going to fault the general public for looking at this situation and thinking that. People worked their fucking asses off to give Democrats a majority and this is how they repay us.

Okay, most of here are pretty tuned in to politics so I think we know the difference between 48 Democrats who would do anything to bypass the filibuster and pass HR1 versus 2 that won't- literally 4% of the caucus! It's our job to educate that to people, but we don't need to repeat those talking points here.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Can you blame people when the Dems hold all the control but can't pass anything to protect voting rights?

I don't believe that's true. I don't think Manchin and Sinema are the only ones against changing or removing the filibuster. I don't know if Dems from red states would be for doing it either.

Tester, the Dem Senator from Montana, said he would if Republicans block everything (which they are), and Brown (Ohio) has always been pretty progressive so he would definitely eliminate the filibuster. Because of that, we don't need to define "Democrats" as what 4% of their caucus wants.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Tester, the Dem Senator from Montana, said he would if Republicans block everything (which they are), and Brown has always been pretty progressive so he would definitely do that. Because of that, we don't need to define "Democrats" as what 4% of their caucus wants.

All talk. I need to see them act on it. Put it to a vote and see if they will do it. I'm not sure you'd get all Dems, outside of Manchin and Sinema, to vote for it.

I was also referring to Dem senators from red states that would get elected from voting for them more.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
All talk. I need to see them act on it. Put it to a vote and see if they will do it. I'm not sure you'd get all Dems, outside of Manchin and Sinema, to vote for it.

I was also referring to Dem senators from red states that would get elected from voting for them more.

We'll see what happens once HR1 is on the Senate floor, but it has 49 cosponsors so I would expect it gets 49 votes.

Oct 25, 2017
I get that we have a thin majority. I completely get that even if everything had to be passed with a tie we'd still have to work to get things passed.

But right now you have to vocal senators on record pretty much saying they aren't going to do what is necessary to make things better. All in the interest of "fairness" while the GOP dismantle voting rights across the country.

But I am not going to fault people for being disenchanted. Like I said what happening isn't boosting morale or making people excited to go vote. I just think it'll be a tough sell to tell people hey you gotta vote more dems in so we can give you voting rights. Something they said would happen after people busted their asses in GA.

Lil Boat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I'd like to add that if I were any Republican reading that op-ed I would come to the conclusion that I really don't need to do anything more than filibuster for the next year and a half. It's not like there will be any consequences. It may also embolden state legislatures to get even brazen with their suppression efforts.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I get that for sure(and OT threads are super over-reactionary and lacking nuance, yes), but I think what has people in a sour mood is that we broke records trying to elect Democrats in the last cycle and it still wasn't enough.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

A little Sunday Hopium.

A lot of Republicans are now tuning out. I see it with my own family. With Trump as president, it was nothing but "GODDAMN DEMOCRATS" all the time. Now, they just don't want to talk about politics. I feel like after another year passes, this is going to be the case even more so.

I'm hoping Republicans have a huge enthusiasm problem in 2022 because Trump is not on the ticket. There is a chance we hold the House. Especially with Biden having such nice approval numbers. The Right just can't get anything to stick on the guy so they are having a hard time getting their base angry at him.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Republicans are now tuning out. I see it with my own family. With Trump as president, it was nothing but "GODDAMN DEMOCRATS" all the time. Now, they just don't want to talk about politics. I feel like after another year passes, this is going to be the case even more so.

I'm hoping Republicans have a huge enthusiasm problem in 2022 because Trump is not on the ticket. There is a chance we hold the House.
That's sort of the X factor to the whole Trump thing, honestly. If you really, sincerely believe that any day now Trump is going to be given the White House, that voting is pointless because Democrats collaborate with the damn Italians or whatever... why would you bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.