• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
LOL No

Melania Trump
@FLOTUS

US government account
Please follow at
@MELANIATRUMP
for future updates & announcements

The "Topics to Follow" on the @FLOTUS account are...interesting.

Topics to follow

• Joe Rogan
    Elon Musk
    The Joe Rogan Experience
  • Dana White
    South Dakota
    Country music
  • Homeschooling
    Tom Hanks
    US national news
  • NASCAR
    Drew Brees
    Small business
How did Tom Hanks get in there?

I'm assuming this also changes tomorrow. Haha.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hope I'm right. McConnell gains nothing for speaking out now without a conviction behind it. Betting that Trump is dead by 2024 still leaves him to wreck stuff until then.

Part of me wonders if this is him giving the 'do what you think is best' nod without explicitly telling members how they should vote.

Nothing I've seen/heard over the last few days indicates to me that the Senate GOP is going to turn on their God King.

For those wondering about judicial appointments, the Senate lists almost 50 extant federal judicial vacancies — almost all in the district courts, but there's also an appellate vacancy in the First Circuit after a Reagan appointee died last October (and, of course, Garland's impending vacancy on the DC Circuit).

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018

Polling in Georgia has been pretty good for the past few cycles now.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
No that was simply in regards to stimulus funding. Well aware that the political lift to get more done will be a pretty tortured path, but if you're going to move for reconciliation on stimulus and worried about Manchin, he seems more than aware that more funds will net him a bigger bag in the end with little downside.

At this point I'm fully prepared for us to watch that scenario unfold of Dems making the ask of GOP for bipartisan support, falling short for months and then come to a head later where we'll face a more serious question on filibuster removal. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it I suppose.

With the thin margins, reducing the filibuster would probably enhance the power of each individual senator so I think it's gonna happen.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me wonders if this is him giving the 'do what you think is best' nod without explicitly telling members how they should vote.

Nothing I've seen/heard over the last few days indicates to me that the Senate GOP is going to turn on their God King.

If you're bleeding corporate donations left and right, keeping Donald around is terrible idea.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
DiFi is the kinda Dem Senator I expect from a place like Wisconsin or something barely electing. California needs to get its shit together.
Ironically the actual Dem senator from Wisconsin (Tammy Baldwin) is an extremely outspoken gay liberal from Madison who got re-elected in 2018 by double digits.

I would be devastated if the state ever turned their back on her.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Ironically the actual Dem senator from Wisconsin (Tammy Baldwin) is an extremely outspoken gay liberal from Madison who gets re-elected by Klobuchar margins.

I would be devastated if the state ever turned their back on her.

Oh I know. I just can't believe DiFi is still there in such a liberal state.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biden should replace Wray at the FBI as well. Anyone nominated by Trump should be removed and assumed to be untrustworthy.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
Ta-Nehisi Coates revisits his essay "The First White President".
t.co

Donald Trump Is Out. Are We Ready to Talk About How He Got In?

“The First White President,” revisited
It was popular, at the time of Donald Trump's ascension, to stand on the thinnest of reeds in order to avoid stating the obvious. It was said that the Trump presidency was the fruit of "economic anxiety," of trigger warnings and the push for trans rights. We were told that it was wrong to call Trump a white supremacist, because he had merely "drawn upon their themes."

One hopes that after four years of brown children in cages; of attempts to invalidate the will of Black voters in Philadelphia, Atlanta, and Detroit; of hearing Trump tell congresswomen of color to go back where they came from; of claims that Joe Biden would turn Minnesota into "a refugee camp"; of his constant invocations of "the Chinese virus," we can now safely conclude that Trump believes in a world where white people are—or should be—on top. It is still deeply challenging for so many people to accept the reality of what has happened—that a country has been captured by the worst of its history, while millions of Americans cheered this on.
The temptation to look away is strong. This summer I watched as whole barrels of ink were emptied to champion free speech and denounce "cancel culture." Meanwhile, from the most powerful office in the world, Trump issued executive orders targeting a journalistic institution and promoted "patriotic education." The indifference to his incredible acts were telling. So much for chivalry.

The mix of blindness and pedantry did not plague merely writers, but also policy makers and executives. "The FBI does not talk in terms of terrorism committed by white people," the journalist Spencer Ackerman wrote in the days after the January 6 riot at the Capitol. "Attempting to appear politically ecumenical, a recent bureaucratic overhaul during an accelerated period of domestic terrorism created the category of 'racially motivated violent extremism.'" But only so ecumenical. "For all its hesitation over white terror," Ackerman continued, "the FBI until at least 2018 maintained an investigative category about a nebulous and exponentially less deadly thing it called 'Black Identity Extremism.'"
"When the gap between ideal and real becomes too wide," Tuchman writes, "the system breaks down." One hopes that this moment for America has arrived, that it can at last see that the sight of cops and a Confederate flag among the mob on January 6, that the mockery of George Floyd and the politesse on display among some of the Capitol Police, are not a matter of chance.

More, that Trumpism did not begin with Trump, that the same Republican party some now recall wistful and nostalgic tones planted seeds of insurrection with specious claims of voter fraud; that the decision to storm the Capitol follows directly, and logically, from respectable Republicans who claim that Democrats steal elections and defraud this country citizens out of their right to self-government.

Last edited:

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
More on the Haspel retirement:

With Haspel retiring, Cohen is set to be acting CIA Director until William Burns is confirmed

I'm honored to be asked by President-elect Biden to return to
@CIA, and I'm thrilled at the chance to serve with Bill Burns as his Deputy Director. It's great to be back with the women and men of the Agency, and I can't wait to get to work.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Wray did ok, but I'm sure Biden can find someone better.
The lack of response for days after the riot attack on the capitol should be reason enough to remove him, but he has kind of flown under the radar otherwise. Still wouldn't trust him if I was Biden.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of response for days after the riot attack on the capitol should be reason enough to remove him, but he has kind of flown under the radar otherwise. Still wouldn't trust him if I was Biden.

Yeah, that was unexceptable and it's what got me thinking he should be replaced.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Hell any Trump appointee should be replaced ASAP. Biden should clean house of any Republican he can get get rid off.

Oh definitely. I just think out of all of them, he was the only one who seemed to take his job - working for the country, not Donald - seriously.
Still, buh-bye.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Polling was also pretty accurate in 2018 IIRC. Seems like there's a voter that only comes out for Trump that's really hard to poll accurately for whatever reason.
People are fine admitting they are voting for Perdue but not as likely to admit they are voting for Trump. That's the only explanation I can think of

like the polling was always going to be bad when he was only getting 42/43% of the vote in most polls without either A) Biden averaging like 55/56% of the vote or B) A third party taking up a non insignificant amount of the vote

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh definitely. I just think out of all of them, he was the only one who seemed to take his job - working for the country, not Donald - seriously.
Still, buh-bye.
Is there any indication he's firing Wray though? Nothing has come out, but I guess he could be waiting until he's President.

Status
Not open for further replies.