• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Don't want to doompost, but two questions:
- They'd pretty much have to nuke the filibuster to get this sort of legislation through the Senate, right?
- If this bill reaches Biden's desk, what would prevent the current SCOTUS from simply going, 'LOL, unconstitutional! 6-3 majority, bitches! Suck it!'? Or to ask this the other way round: Given that the Roberts court has been reliably anti-voting-rights and pro-dark money, is there a way for Congress to legislate this in a way that would prevent the SCOTUS from just nuking it again?

Every bill we've seen proposed is going to require the filibuster to be nerfed or nuked. It's going to happen.

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico
Also, Trump will still try to remain relevant by doing his bullshit rallies and pushing the Trumplings to run for Congress in an effort to over-rule his impeachment at a later date.

Without Twitter though, his sphere of influence will be greatly diminished. You can already see the effects on which GOP players like Turtle can come out and signal balloon conviction considerations without the orange baby turning the public opinion on them, or at least, not as effectively.

OTOH, I don't expect the GOP to be prepared for the kind of Governance the Biden/Harris administration will implement as it's been more than 20 years since the last decisive liberal push. Most of the 2000-2016 rules don't apply anymore.

- They'd pretty much have to nuke the filibuster to get this sort of legislation through the Senate, right?
- If this bill reaches Biden's desk, what would prevent the current SCOTUS from simply going, 'LOL, unconstitutional! 6-3 majority, bitches! Suck it!'? Or to ask this the other way round: Given that the Roberts court has been reliably anti-voting-rights and pro-dark money, is there a way for Congress to legislate this in a way that would prevent the SCOTUS from just nuking it again?

The filibuster is gone anyway.
You can't rule with the SCOTUS in mind. They might find some part constitutionals and some parts not, either way, each case will take time, as you can only take active litigation up the courts before it reaches the SCOTUS. See: Obamacare.

Oct 25, 2017
Trump after inauguration: My party had millions and millions of television views, far beyond the television views Biden had. Just look at the crowds! He had no people attend the inauguration and I had a bigly amount!

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
McConnell is all about planning and long term strategy and he can't do that as long as Trump is in the picture. He's an unpredictable wild card.

You could definitely make the argument that Perdue and Loeffler would have had a much better chance without Trump and his buddies peddling voter fraud, and McConnell knows it. No one sees Marjorie Taylor-Greene's district significantly underperforming in the runoffs as a coincidence.

McConnell would still have the majority if Trump hadn't talked Collins into running. Losing the Senate is completely Trump's fault.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Trump entering the presidency with what he claimed to be the biggliest crowds ever at an inauguration and then exiting being such a miserable pile of filth that his GOP colleagues have 0 desire to be around him is just hilarious.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, Trump will still try to remain relevant by doing his bullshit rallies and pushing the Trumplings to run for Congress in an effort to over-rule his impeachment at a later date.
I'm guessing he launches his 2024 campaign tomorrow and starts doing rallies almost immediately on donor's dime. I really hope the indictments start rolling out the 21st.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Are we talking about nuking the filibuster? Hickenlooper, Simena, Kelly etc may not fold so easily either

No that was simply in regards to stimulus funding. Well aware that the political lift to get more done will be a pretty tortured path, but if you're going to move for reconciliation on stimulus and worried about Manchin, he seems more than aware that more funds will net him a bigger bag in the end with little downside.

At this point I'm fully prepared for us to watch that scenario unfold of Dems making the ask of GOP for bipartisan support, falling short for months and then come to a head later where we'll face a more serious question on filibuster removal. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it I suppose.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
If this bill reaches Biden's desk, what would prevent the current SCOTUS from simply going, 'LOL, unconstitutional! 6-3 majority, bitches! Suck it!'?
The bill specifically says each clause In the law can be independently severed if found unconstitutional.
Not gonna stop a 6-3 majority from striking down if that's what they want to do, but it would be a lot harder

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Wow, no Pence either?

For a guy who doesn't want to be seen as Nixon, Trump sure is intent on setting up a Nixon style photo op.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Shunned by Pence as well - which isn't exactly shocking.

VP Pence is not expected to attend President Trump's sendoff at Joint Air Force Base Andrews tomorrow morning, per White House officials. He is attending the inauguration later in the day, and aides say it would be logistically challenging for the vice president to do both.

I bet Lindsey will be there though.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just wonder how much of that money will go to super expensive defense attorneys vs. how much doing actual rallies. Only he knows.
Doesn't his pac he formed after the election already have hundreds of millions of dollars with like 70% of it able to be used however Trump wants based on the wording in his donor emails?

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Doesn't his pac he formed after the election already have hundreds of millions of dollars with like 70% of it able to be used however Trump wants based on the wording in his donor emails?
Do you think Trump will use it for smart political strategy if he needs it to fund his legal battles to stay out of jail?

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Pillow Guy
Probably a menagerie of Q quacks
Lindsey Graham
Matt Gaetz
Jim Jordan
Devin Nunes
Rudy Colludy
The spawn
Kayleigh
Hannity

who else?

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

Honestly I'm just sort of hoping McConnell's backroom dealing with safe R's he can sacrifice to the altar in order to get Trump out of their hair for good. I'm sure it's a tempting bargain for him, but no idea how they might handle the backlash outside of staunch R bastions.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
d85f0lq080441.jpg

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think Trump will use it for smart political strategy if he needs it to fund his legal battles to stay out of jail?
I agree that he will use it however he wants. That's why I said the emails said like 70% can be used however he wants. He will be able to afford the best lawyers if they are willing to take him on as a client.

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico
Trump and Co. impressive corruption means any money is already being grifted by him and his minions, just like his candidacy run money. Money will run out fast.

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know when the impeachment trial will start ?
Articles could be sent this week and proceedings the following day or next week but nothing is known.

I wouldn't bet on anything right away. That shouldn't be the first thing getting talked about. Let people soak up his executive orders and action taken as he enters office and we control the senate.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I agree that he will use it however he wants. That's why I said the emails said like 70% can be used however he wants. He will be able to afford the best lawyers if they are willing to take him on as a client.

I doubt he will afford the "best lawyers." The best lawyers want to take Trump down. With his reputation of not paying and seeing who had to pick from for his previous battles? Nah. He's fucked.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Well, they always claimed that "Congress needs to make these things into laws" if they want them to stand. So, with congress doing just that, what is there for them to strike down? I can only see automatic registration because someone could argue its against my "1st Amendment rights to not vote". But then again, registering to vote is not the same as voting.

and states would still control voting, they just couldn't set up roadblocks, like many things which states govern, they still have federal laws to follow when making/enforcing their own laws.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Cruz has gone out of his way to distance himself from Trump since the insurrection. He's not showing up.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and Pompeo "multiculturalism is not who America is" will be there because he thinks he's going to be president some day.

Oops, can't forget Lou Dobbs.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao Hawley might lose his lawyer license over simping for Trump and incitement of a riot

Tfw rand paul might have learned something

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico

Not even Pence.

This is interesting. It's been so long since I saw actual governing in action I don't know how this works.

So do they review each other's bills and make a new one? Or do they vote on each other's bills?

Basically they discuss their own legislation, vote on it and send it to the other body, then that body votes on to approve that one. Whichever has both approvals gets to the executive for signing or vetoing.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Would Mitch be talking shit if he didn't have the votes?

I'm still torn. I hate the idea that McConnell helps create this monster, gets his stacked courts and tax cut, then throws him under the bus.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Tweet is absolutely disgusting. Wish nothing but the worst to that cretin.

On his last day at State, he dropped that using the official account. Can't wait for an adult to finally take over tomorrow.

Would Mitch be talking shit if he didn't have the votes?

I'm still torn. I hate the idea that McConnell helps create this monster, gets his stacked courts and tax cut, then throws him under the bus.

I don't think so. He's always pretty vindictive and outspoken when he has the votes to shoot something down or vote for something like taking healthcare away from millions.

Status
Not open for further replies.