• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Man it feels so good knowing competent people are back in charge.

The most distressing thing about the Trump admin to me was how Trump essentially turned it into a mafia org with his family and incompetent lackeys in charge. It'll take years to fix all the damage him and Mitch have inflicted upon the government, but I'm confident Biden's team can get the job done.

Am_I_Evil

Oct 27, 2017
Please tell me that filling any judge vacancies will also be a priority, while fixing all the other pending shit that needs to be fixed...after the last 4 years of the Republican senate filling the judiciary we really need to fill whatever availability there still is (obviously expansion could be good too but at least start with filling the open spots)

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
2017 inauguration:

"This American carnage stops right here and stops right now."

And American carnage is his legacy. Hundreds of thousands of deaths, many avoidable. Millions of jobs lost. An economy in tatters. The world laughing at us. Deaths in the Capitol.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty wild that Lincoln held a massive, security free 2nd term inauguration after the Civil War. Like no one told him it's a bad idea?

lincoln-speech.jpg

Actor John Wilkes Booth, an ardent supporter of the southern cause, listened in the crowd that day. Achorn says Booth thought Lincoln was a tyrant who should be removed. He killed the president a few weeks later at Ford's Theatre, but some suspect he tried to do it sooner at his second inauguration.

"He got a pass into the Capitol building and he used that pass to slip men behind Lincoln when Lincoln was walking out to the platform and somebody apprehended him," Achorn says. "God knows what would have happened if they hadn't. There's a lot of people who thought Booth wanted to kill Lincoln right on the platform in the way maybe like Brutus killing [Julius] Caesar at the Senate."

www.wbur.org

Looking Back At Abraham Lincoln's 2nd Inaugural Address

Edward Achorn's new book is titled "Every Drop Of Blood: The Momentous Second Inauguration of Abraham Lincoln."

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Last day of Trump admin, expect horseshit (per usual) especially regarding pardons today and then we can breathe Wednesday at noon (just a little bit but Biden seems to be doing good shit according to that leaked doc)

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Kilmeade is among the six opinionators who will get informal week-long tryouts to become the permanent host of the 7 p.m. hour, which is being called "Fox News Primetime." Also getting a turn are business news anchor Maria Bartiromo and conservative Fox News contributors Katie Pavlich, Rachel Campos-Duffy and former congressman Trey Gowdy, as well as commentator Mark Steyn, a favorite guest of Fox ratings champ Tucker Carlson. (The names were first reported by the Los Angeles Times.)
By trading an hour of news for opinion, the network quietly shifted the balance of programming, from one that gave a slight majority of its time to news — 11 hours compared with nine for opinion — to an even split. (Fox considers its afternoon panel show "Outnumbered" part of its news division, even though it often focuses on culture-war topics, like Monday's segment on "cancel culture," because lead panelist Harris Faulkner is a news anchor.)
The prime-time shift has rattled some staffers at the network — "a message that they care about opinion more than news," said one news-side employee who was not authorized to comment publicly and so spoke on the condition of anonymity.
There was particular concern voiced Monday when Bartiromo's name became public as a potential replacement, considering the criticism she has faced for comments she made questioning the legitimacy of the presidential election.
Bartiromo's name and show were mentioned multiple times in a Dec. 10 legal letter from the voting technology company Smartmatic demanding the network retract "dozens of false and misleading statements regarding Smartmatic." In response, Fox aired a short segment that corrected falsities about Smartmatic on several of its programs — though when it was Bartiromo's turn to introduce the segment, she added as a postscript, "We will keep investigating."
"It is ludicrous and disheartening that we are rewarding [Bartiromo] with a prime-time spot, knowing full well she is among the most responsible for propagating the big election lie," a second news division staffer said.
"Maybe they wanted that sizzling-hot opinion anger," said another.
For current and former Fox News employees who spoke to The Washington Post, the switch to opinion at 7 p.m. was a sign that the network's news division has lost the larger battle to the opinion division, which generates far more viewers.
"They want to restore their conservative base. They're going to serve the people who brought them to the dance," said Carl Cameron, who spent 22 years as a reporter for Fox News before retiring as the network's chief political correspondent in 2017. "Conservatives are going to want to hear what's wrong with Joe Biden. It's easier for Fox to beat Newsmax and everybody else back into the woods than it is for them to try to compete with the real journalism networks."

More in the link.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado

Good news: Senate Dems will introduce a sweeping pro-democracy bill today as the first bill under their new majority. Includes automatic voter registration, rehabbing Voting Rights Act, and more. It's the Dem answer to Trump's assault on our democracy:

Great news. It was funny/sad seeing people in other countries say "you have to register to vote in America? Here you just are registered automatically and you get a ballot sent to you in the mail automatically. You don't have to do anything." We need to be at that level.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017

Good news: Senate Dems will introduce a sweeping pro-democracy bill today as the first bill under their new majority. Includes automatic voter registration, rehabbing Voting Rights Act, and more. It's the Dem answer to Trump's assault on our democracy:

Really hope this gets off the ground, it's desperately needed.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Here it is: going to the mattresses as the first legislative act of the Biden Administration.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I'm honestly terrified for tomorrow. I pray it goes off without a hitch, but there's this dread feeling that I just can't shake.

Mac_Lane

Oct 29, 2017
Paris, France

That's good stuff. But the GOP will surely filibuster it.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
I'm honestly terrified for tomorrow. I pray it goes off without a hitch, but there's this dread feeling that I just can't shake.
It feels like Election Day all over again, I remember expecting to see violence at the polls but afaik nothing happened (given that mostly Rs voted on Election Day tho)

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I'm not that worried. Now that all these Trumpers see that there are in fact consequences for their actions, I don't expect too much bullshit.

I think a good portion of this shit was them thinking it was sanctioned. With Trump off Twitter, arrests, and pushback all over the political and social spectrum I think this is going to shrink a lot.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Its an all day event. The parade, swear in, speech, and farewell to the departing president is during the day but that's followed by galas all evening long.

I imagine this year will be much different with covid restrictions killing these events shifting the focus to the outdoor light show.

Ah ok that makes sense. Thanks for the info

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Excellent news!

Also, Manmademan, it's time for your catch phrase. 😛

Kilmeade is among the six opinionators who will get informal week-long tryouts to become the permanent host of the 7 p.m. hour, which is being called "Fox News Primetime." Also getting a turn are business news anchor Maria Bartiromo and conservative Fox News contributors Katie Pavlich, Rachel Campos-Duffy and former congressman Trey Gowdy, as well as commentator Mark Steyn, a favorite guest of Fox ratings champ Tucker Carlson. (The names were first reported by the Los Angeles Times.)
By trading an hour of news for opinion, the network quietly shifted the balance of programming, from one that gave a slight majority of its time to news — 11 hours compared with nine for opinion — to an even split. (Fox considers its afternoon panel show "Outnumbered" part of its news division, even though it often focuses on culture-war topics, like Monday's segment on "cancel culture," because lead panelist Harris Faulkner is a news anchor.)
The prime-time shift has rattled some staffers at the network — "a message that they care about opinion more than news," said one news-side employee who was not authorized to comment publicly and so spoke on the condition of anonymity.
There was particular concern voiced Monday when Bartiromo's name became public as a potential replacement, considering the criticism she has faced for comments she made questioning the legitimacy of the presidential election.
Bartiromo's name and show were mentioned multiple times in a Dec. 10 legal letter from the voting technology company Smartmatic demanding the network retract "dozens of false and misleading statements regarding Smartmatic." In response, Fox aired a short segment that corrected falsities about Smartmatic on several of its programs — though when it was Bartiromo's turn to introduce the segment, she added as a postscript, "We will keep investigating."
"It is ludicrous and disheartening that we are rewarding [Bartiromo] with a prime-time spot, knowing full well she is among the most responsible for propagating the big election lie," a second news division staffer said.
"Maybe they wanted that sizzling-hot opinion anger," said another.
For current and former Fox News employees who spoke to The Washington Post, the switch to opinion at 7 p.m. was a sign that the network's news division has lost the larger battle to the opinion division, which generates far more viewers.
"They want to restore their conservative base. They're going to serve the people who brought them to the dance," said Carl Cameron, who spent 22 years as a reporter for Fox News before retiring as the network's chief political correspondent in 2017. "Conservatives are going to want to hear what's wrong with Joe Biden. It's easier for Fox to beat Newsmax and everybody else back into the woods than it is for them to try to compete with the real journalism networks."

More in the link.

Right-wing media really is going to be one of the greatest threats to the entire world moving forward, if it isn't reigned in. Taking a hatchet to social media companies is a big start, but Fox is still the king sitting on his throne.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I feel you. I'm not going to be able to truly relax until Thursday.

Same.

It feels like Election Day all over again, I remember expecting to see violence at the polls but afaik nothing happened (given that mostly Rs voted on Election Day tho)

I actually feel worse than I did on Election Day simply because Trump still had a chance to remain in office so his supporters wouldn't go bat shit insane just yet. Now he definitely is out and we've quite clearly seen they're ready to go bat shit insane in support of this degenerate fuck.

I'm not that worried. Now that all these Trumpers see that there are in fact consequences for their actions, I don't expect too much bullshit.

I hope you're right.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm weirdly not worried about tomorrow. I think the militias are scared right now because of all of the arrests, and I think if/when they decide to strike again it's not going to be during such an obvious target like the Inauguration. The fact that the majority of the protests on the 17th were total duds after all the talk of a "martyr march" reinforces this imo.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I'm weirdly not worried about tomorrow. I think the militias are scared right now because of all of the arrests, and I think if/when they decide to strike again it's not going to be during such an obvious target like the Inauguration. The fact that the majority of the protests on the 17th were total duds after all the talk of a "martyr march" reinforces this imo.

Same. The months ahead are the bigger concern for me. Bombings, terrorist attacks, lone wolf or small group stuff. Law enforcement is going to need to be in overdrive to prevent disasters.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Better have the anti gerrymanding redistricting stuff
That's good stuff. But the GOP will surely filibuster it.
That's the point, this is the counter to all the fraud they've been selling, properly presented they either have to allow it through or if not perfect reason to nerf the filibuster

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
NYT Daily ep today is literally shining a spotlight on Trump supports today and "how they're feeling." Lmfao

Also that Senate bill sounds incredible. Surely the GOP will move heaven and earth to stop it.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
OMG FUCK OFF!
The media has learned nothing in the past 4 years. How about you interview the people who turned GA blue? HUH, NYTimes???

I'm not even going to link the tweet (because fuck'em), but here's the quote:

How do Trump supporters view the attack on the Capitol and how are they feeling before Joe Biden's inauguration? Listen to today's episode of The Daily.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Katherine Faulders @KFaulders

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is expected to send the article of impeachment against President Trump to the Senate later this week -- a move that would kick off formal proceedings the next day and opening arguments on the Senate floor the following week.

10:12 AM · Jan 19, 2021

--------------

Alan He @alanhe

Senator Feinstein asked about her preferences in terms of impeachment vs moving on noms calls it a "moot question."

"Well, I think it's a moot question, this President's leaving office so it won't have any practical application. But whatever happens is fine with me."

10:17 AM · Jan 19, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.