• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gyrian

Nov 14, 2020
It's a nice display. And yes, It is sad in its symbolism, but it also gives me hope. We start from a real low to hopefully have a much better year ahead. The bitterness and bad takes from the right can't take away the sheer hope that comes with this moment — and let's not forget all the positive actions lined up to hit the ground running. There's so much work that needs doing.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine the metric ton of dirt that's about to come out about Trump the second he's out of office.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Two days after Guy Reffitt joined the rioters who stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, federal officials said, he returned home to Wylie, Tex., and proudly told his family of his escapade. But by Jan. 11, when Reffitt learned the FBI was on to him, he changed his tune, according to an affidavit.
"If you turn me in, you're a traitor and you know what happens to traitors … traitors get shot," Reffitt, 48, said to his son and daughter, according to his wife, who recounted the conversation to the FBI, who did not name the relatives.
On Saturday, the FBI caught up to him. Reffitt, an oil worker with ties to self-styled militia and right-wing extremist groups, was arrested and charged with obstruction of justice for allegedly threatening his family and unlawful entry into the Capitol.
-------------------
Reffitt's son told authorities that around Jan. 11, he told him and his sister to "erase everything." The man then allegedly told his son that if he "crossed the line and reported Reffitt to the police, putting the family in jeopardy, Reffitt would have no option but to do Reffitt's duty for Reffitt's country, and 'do what he had to do,' " the affidavit said.
Reffitt then allegedly threatened his daughter, Reffitt's son said, warning her that if she recorded his comments or posted anything about it on social media, he would "put a bullet through" her phone.
-------------------
In an interview with KXAS, Reffitt's son, who is 18, said his father has become increasingly obsessed with politics over the past four years. His son blamed President Trump for manipulating his father.
"I love him but I hate him," he said of his father. "I don't really know him anymore."

Am_I_Evil

Oct 27, 2017

Two days after Guy Reffitt joined the rioters who stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, federal officials said, he returned home to Wylie, Tex., and proudly told his family of his escapade. But by Jan. 11, when Reffitt learned the FBI was on to him, he changed his tune, according to an affidavit.
"If you turn me in, you're a traitor and you know what happens to traitors … traitors get shot," Reffitt, 48, said to his son and daughter, according to his wife, who recounted the conversation to the FBI, who did not name the relatives.
On Saturday, the FBI caught up to him. Reffitt, an oil worker with ties to self-styled militia and right-wing extremist groups, was arrested and charged with obstruction of justice for allegedly threatening his family and unlawful entry into the Capitol.
-------------------
Reffitt's son told authorities that around Jan. 11, he told him and his sister to "erase everything." The man then allegedly told his son that if he "crossed the line and reported Reffitt to the police, putting the family in jeopardy, Reffitt would have no option but to do Reffitt's duty for Reffitt's country, and 'do what he had to do,' " the affidavit said.
Reffitt then allegedly threatened his daughter, Reffitt's son said, warning her that if she recorded his comments or posted anything about it on social media, he would "put a bullet through" her phone.
-------------------
In an interview with KXAS, Reffitt's son, who is 18, said his father has become increasingly obsessed with politics over the past four years. His son blamed President Trump for manipulating his father.
"I love him but I hate him," he said of his father. "I don't really know him anymore."

Republicans...party of family values and law and order...

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I have a feeling that this quote resonates through millions of American households today. Just insane what the GOP has done to mindfuck their electorate. I wonder if it will begin to collapse when Trump's lies become more clear or if people like this guy will just dig in deeper?

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
^^ (that WP story) These people are just lost. It is so hard to wrap my mind around it. I just can't understand.

Also...1 more day...so we have a stupid farewell video and abhorrent pardon lists to come

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The speed at which they are planning to move to get our government back on track to recovery is inspiring

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
This comment on the flag post makes me sad:

I think about this too, haha. I feel bummed thinking about Biden finally accomplishing this but not getting his Amtrak ride to DC, speaking to a mostly empty crowd, not having the usual night-of parties, etc. That said, I also felt that about the DNC going into the convention and they ended up making something out of it, so maybe they'll pull off the same with the inauguration too.

The flags display on the Mall looks really cool, but I wonder if it seems as impressive in the day?

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I think about this too, haha. I feel bummed thinking about Biden finally accomplishing this but not getting his Amtrak ride to DC, speaking to a mostly empty crowd, not having the usual night-of parties, etc. That said, I also felt that about the DNC going into the convention and they ended up making something out of it, so maybe they'll pull off the same with the inauguration too.

The flags display on the Mall looks really cool, but I wonder if it seems as impressive in the day?

My hope is the image of a sea of flags in place of people will wake at least a few up to the challenge ahead, and stand to show what we've lost.

If in 4 years, there is a crowd of people cheering for whoever is on that stage, that will be Biden's crowning achievemnet.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I had the lowest expectations for Trump, and looking back, I realize I was still much too generous.

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico
It's funny they think they can win against the current democratic coalition in GA. Keep ramming your head into a wall and se ehow it bleeds, idiots

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
5 of Biden's Cabinet nominees will have confirmation hearings today in the Senate. Here's the schedule, according to CNN:

10 a.m. ET: Janet Yellen will appear before the Senate Finance Committee to be considered for treasury secretary.
10 a.m. ET: Avril Haines will appear before the Senate Intelligence Committee to be considered for director of national intelligence.
10 a.m. ET: Alejandro Mayorkas will appear before the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee to be considered for secretary of Homeland Security.
2 p.m. ET: Antony Blinken will appear before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee to be considered for secretary of state.
3 p.m. ET: Retired Gen. Lloyd Austin appear before the Senate Armed Services Committee to be considered for secretary of defense.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
The inauguration is at daytime what's with all these light show things
Its an all day event. The parade, swear in, speech, and farewell to the departing president is during the day but that's followed by galas all evening long.

I imagine this year will be much different with covid restrictions killing these events shifting the focus to the outdoor light show.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Lots of families been ruined by brainwashed parents, aunt's and uncles. So fucked up.
There was another story about a woman in NY who divorced her Proud Boys husband who got arrested for planning the capital attack. Imagine the small kids growing up and asking the dad why they don't live together? "Because antifa false flag operation and your mom is funded by soros"

These people are so down the rabbit hole, their closest loved ones can't get to them. Biden should look into the methods the Iraqi and Saudi Arabian goverments adopted in the wake of ISIS by instituting de-programming, de-radicalization classes. I think I read somewhere those were 80% effective or something. Somethings gotta be done.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
It's funny they think they can win against the current democratic coalition in GA. Keep ramming your head into a wall and se ehow it bleeds, idiots

They absolutely can still win in GA. The presidential election was won by razor thin margins and the runoff was better but still nowhere close to a lock.

Better candidates on the GOP side that ran ahead of Trump (these exist elsewhere) could have done it. Dems were very fortunate Loeffler and Perdue were both terrible and/or totally unprepared for a competitive election.

GA is still very much a swing state, not a blue one which means the pendulum can swing back especially if Biden has a bad year. Best not to become cocky or complacent.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They absolutely can still win in GA. The presidential election was won by razor thin margins and the runoff was better but still nowhere close to a lock.

Better candidates on the GOP side that ran ahead of Trump (these exist elsewhere) could have done it. Dems were very fortunate Loeffler and Perdue were both terrible and/or totally unprepared for a competitive election.

GA is still very much a swing state, not a blue one which means the pendulum can swing back especially if Biden has a bad year. Best not to become cocky or complacent.
Major Green on the other hand...not so much.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
The speed at which they are planning to move to get our government back on track to recovery is inspiring

Whole article is a good read, but Biden's transition team has been a machine by all accounts.

www.nbcnews.com

For Biden's team, a transition months in the making

Biden's transition team faced unprecedented hurdles but still set new marks for staffing and fundraising.

NBC News said:
Through Sunday, Biden had nominated 44 Senate-confirmed officials — besting Barack Obama's mark by the same point in his transition, which had been the most recent high. The transition has also announced 206 White House staff members — more than the last three incoming presidents combined.

A particular focus of the transition team was positions that don't require Senate confirmation — from the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to department chiefs of staff, general counsels and chief operating officers who are essential to laying the groundwork for quick action. David Marchick, director of the Center for Presidential Transition at the Partnership for Public Service, a good-government nonprofit, said Biden's team will have two to three times the resources that previous administrations have had in place.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing all the security is a weird feeling. Like, this should be a day of celebration and it just looks like a damned warzone.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Just imagine if Trump had been re-elected, he would have tried to cram as many idiots shoulder to shoulder for his second inauguration as possible.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Major Green on the other hand...not so much.

I don't think she gets there but I'm not willing to count out anybody at this point.

There are a LOT of totally awful GOP senators that have no business in office that get comfortably re-elected like clockwork.

Dem enthusiasm dipping as it traditionally does in off year elections for incumbents can mean that even Taylor-Greene could win election to statewide office. Again, those margins were not wide by any means.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
I don't think she gets there but I'm not willing to count out anybody at this point.

There are a LOT of totally awful GOP senators that have no business in office that get comfortably re-elected like clockwork.

Dem enthusiasm dipping as it traditionally does in off year elections for incumbents can mean that even Taylor-Greene could win election to statewide office. Again, those margins were not wide by any means.

Since the Dem coalition is becoming more college educated, isn't it also true that the drop-off usually occurs from low propensity rural voters like it did in the runoffs? I've read that suburban, educated voters turn out at a higher rate in off-year elections. Obama had a lot of rural support in 2008 which was lost by the Dems soon after.

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
The Pennsylvania MAGATs were all beside themselves in calling her names and insulting her when she pushed the first lockdown in PA.

Gotta love to see their heads now
Wonder how many GOP members will automatically vote against her because just because she is transgender without even looking at her experience? I am guessing sadly probably all of them.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Will we finally see a closing chapter to the dreaded infrastructure week...? Is such a thing even possible?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Since the Dem coalition is becoming more college educated, isn't it also true that the drop-off usually occurs from low propensity rural voters like it did in the runoffs? I've read that suburban, educated voters turn out at a higher rate in off-year elections. Obama had a lot of rural support in 2008 which was lost by the Dems soon after.

This varies by state and demographic and will depend heavily on what the Biden administration does.

Obama lost support across the board because the economy fell off a cliff and the GOP was successfully able to brand that as a failing of his administration.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
This varies by state and demographic and will depend heavily on what the Biden administration does.

Obama lost support across the board because the economy fell off a cliff and the GOP was successfully able to brand that as a failing of his administration.

Got it; so we don't really know what each electorate will look like right now. I'm hoping if Biden gets the economy back on track and Covid under control, we could have a relatively decent midterm next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.