• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Cruz is slime, but he's largely shut the fuck up which is why he's flown under the radar. That's started to change. Whatever the fuck her name is flew too close to the damn sun.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Expulsion from Congress requires a 2/3rds vote, so it would need at least 69 Republicans and all Democrats in the House. If there's actually footage of the tours happening, it wouldn't surprise me.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
What happens when someone is expelled from Congress? How are they replaced?

EDIT - Editing this because I was wrongly thinking of Senate appts. rather than House. The below is not true. Apologies

Differs by state. In Colorado, the Governor fills the vacancy until the next state-wide general election.

Last edited:

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Leaked list of actions that Joe Biden plans to take on Day 1 of his presidency, per CTV news:
EsAB_XfXcAEl-S3

Last edited:

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Can you serve in Congress from jail? Even if she doesn't get expelled, can't she effectively be outed?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They'll be in jail before you get the 2/3rds necessary to expel them.
Can you serve in Congress from jail? Even if she doesn't get expelled, can't she effectively be outed?
Usually when a congress(wo)man ends up in jail they resign before they actually end up there. But, in this case, I'd suspect there would be 2/3rds available because they're in jail.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Cruz is slime, but he's largely shut the fuck up which is why he's flown under the radar. That's started to change. Whatever the fuck her name is flew too close to the damn sun.

He immediately shifted to, "Trump's language was unhelpful and bad and I've always called that out" which was obvious bullshit but helped him avoid the same fire Hawley got.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
She has some great posts, here's one from yesterday:

Can't wait to have dogs in the White House again!

I have no clue why, but seeing leaves on the ground under the plant, the frayed rug, the cardboard box, and the mat just haphazardly lying around gives me a weird sense of comfort.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
I have no clue why, but seeing leaves on the ground under the plant, the frayed rug, the cardboard box, and the mat just haphazardly lying around gives me a weird sense of comfort.

Probably because it's just a regular home and not something fancy covered in gold. A welcomed departure from the last administration.

With this much evidence they might be able to use the 14th

That wouldn't surprise me either. Does that need a vote?

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
It looks like a random grandpa just hanging out. It's not some photo op or weird gold trim room.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Going purely by the case of James Trafficant, it looks like he was convicted on April 11, 2002 which triggered an automatic suspension of his ability to vote under House rules. I assume something similar is still in effect. Then there was a House ethics investigation, and the House voted to expel him on July 24th. So The House seems to have the power to allow a member to serve in Congress while imprisoned, but chooses not to exercise it for obvious reasons.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Going purely by the case of James Trafficant, it looks like he was convicted on April 11, 2002 which triggered an automatic suspension of his ability to vote under House rules. I assume something similar is still in effect. Then there was a House ethics investigation, and the House voted to expel him on July 24th. So The House seems to have the power to allow a member to serve in Congress while imprisoned, but chooses not to exercise it for obvious reasons.

MISTER SPEAKER!!
BEAM ME UP!!

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I wouldn't sweat it. Pardons come with the caveat that the pardoned person needs to comply truthfully with investigations still, right?
I don't know the answer to this specifically but I do know that whenever anyone says "don't worry, something something something" someone always comes in and says "actually, no they don't" and links a wikipedia article about how there's no such thing as law because of something Jimmy Carter did or something.

Edit: lots of somethings in this post. Probably a personal record.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
The lesson they learned was how to treason better next time:

How does one legally or electorally remove the GOP cretins who seem to hold state levers of power in Michigan?

Re: Boebert denying giving tours -- will wait for hard proof but if it's there I'm hoping a full investigation follows and she gets her ass booted outta Congress.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
She has some great posts, here's one from yesterday:

Can't wait to have dogs in the White House again!

This picture says so much about the person entering the presidency versus Trump. Down on the ground with a dog, A potted plant that is somewhat leaning in a stand, wine bottle opener on the ground and a shelving unit that looks like a family uses it and not a serial killer.

What a breath of fresh air.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't sweat it. Pardons come with the caveat that the pardoned person needs to comply truthfully with investigations still, right?
Not to be that something something guy, but FWIW I have heard lawyers assert that that doesn't mean much — people's ability to weasel out of perjury by claiming they simply don't remember is tough to get around if there's no additional leverage to bring to bear on an already-pardoned person.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
The lesson they learned was how to treason better next time:

Yep. Saw this coming. Most Michigan republicans in office are FAR right and wouldn't have any issue throwing aside the Constitution for their personal gain.

I also expect this to start happening in more red state legislatures if the state certification board is set up in a similar fashion. 2020 was a dry run. 2024 is going to be a nightmare.

Oct 22, 2020
Not sure if answered already, but I assume the Gov of the state elects a replacement until a special election is called for a proper vote by the people for anyone else that wants to win it proper.
Actually House seats are always filled by elections. No appointments. The seat stays vacant until either a special election is held, or (if it's late in the term) the next general election.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I wish Twitter would add a "Q" report because they are all over Pompeo's feed because his account is set to post tweets every 15 minutes.

Edit: If you really want to see a basket of crazy, look no further than Pompeo's twitter comments. It's scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.