• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Saw there's a Biden +2 poll in PA from Trafalgar today. Are they still doing the "shy Trump voter" filter?

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Writing like that is basically worrying over split milk at this point. Going forward the general strategy should absolutely be to make more calculated appointments to the SCOTUS. Kennedy dropped off intentionally to pump Trump and the only person I see stubbon enough not to go regardless of political issues now would probably be Thomas. Seems the type to intentionally want to fucking drop dead in his seat to thumb his nose at everyone.

The newly installed Heritage folk will likely agree to drop off the court the moment their health becomes a question for a new round of hard right wingers, so I don't see why we shouldn't ask the same of a new set of justices should we get the chance. If you're expecting to hold some kind of lasting legacy on your ideals, it's going to require people to hop off the bench sooner than later or risk running into these dire situations where everything is left in flux.
If Biden gets in with a Dem senate, the first call needs to be to Breyer.

May 26, 2018
A look at the state of the debate over the filibuster among Democratic senators, officials, etc.:

If this is the response, the counter-response seems clear: don't reject the proposals if you're GOP. Instead pretend to negotiate and waste years doing this, with the effect being the GOP looks like the reasonable ones and any moves from Democrats to reject a heavy compromise can be played in the media as bad faith deals because "we are supposed to work together, you guys! But it's clear that's impossible with legislative terrorists like you. Maybe WE should kill the filibuster once we are back in office!"

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
If anything, there's a shy Biden voter. Trump voters are loud and obnoxious as fuck.

If this is the response, the counter-response seems clear: don't reject the proposals if you're GOP. Instead pretend to negotiate and waste years doing this, with the effect being the GOP looks like the reasonable ones and any moves from Democrats to reject a heavy compromise can be played in the media as bad faith deals because "we are supposed to work together, you guys! But it's clear that's impossible with legislative terrorists like you. Maybe WE should kill the filibuster once we are back in office!"
I mean, that would be a good strategy, but the GOP in its current form is not capable of carrying that out because of how reactionary their base and much of their Senate caucus is.

You can see that in that McConnell did not do that to save the judicial filibuster even when it was clear the Democrats were on the verge of getting rid of it.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hence "if".

Don't shoot the messenger, i'm just explaining the math needed for 50/50 to work if they only win those three senate races. Given current polling, it's looking more like they'll get 51-54 seats, with the latter assuming all (currently rated) toss-ups and Lean D seats land on the same side (Arizona, Maine, Colorado, North Carolina, Iowa, South Carolina, Montana, the non-runoff Georgia election); 55 will be if Jones holds on, unlikely as that seems at the moment.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Hence "if".

Don't shoot the messenger, i'm just explaining the math needed for 50/50 to work if they win those three senate races. Given current polling, it's looking like they'll get 51-54 seats, with assuming all toss-ups and Lean D seats land on the same side (Arizona, Maine, Colorado, North Carolina, Iowa, South Carolina, Montana, the non-runoff Georgia election), 55 if Jones holds on, unlikely as that seems at the moment.

You didn't say that though, you said 50/50 as if Jones was the one that was the deciding factor on that.

May 26, 2018
I mean, that would be a good strategy, but the GOP in its current form is not capable of carrying that out because of how reactionary their base and much of their Senate caucus is.

GOP thrives on fueling big conservative strokes by corrupting Dem intentions to the public. They do it easier than breathing, they love being the opposition.

Deleted member 73234

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2020
Hence "if".

Don't shoot the messenger, i'm just explaining the math needed for 50/50 to work if they only win those three senate races. Given current polling, it's looking more like they'll get 51-54 seats, with the latter assuming all (currently rated) toss-ups and Lean D seats land on the same side (Arizona, Maine, Colorado, North Carolina, Iowa, South Carolina, Montana, the non-runoff Georgia election); 55 will be if Jones holds on, unlikely as that seems at the moment.
I figured as much, not trying to knock you down. I just think everyone would be better served writing him off. It was an accomplishment winning that seat, but it's Alabama.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
He'll say "The voters chose us to be a check on President Biden's radical agenda" and that'll be that

May 26, 2018
Nope. He'll come up with a new rule: Dems never get a vote.

"With all the controversy from the election, and how many people don't believe Biden is President, it would not be prudent for him to choose lifelong appointments for them. Let's have a legitimate election for a President whom everyone can accept as representing their interests, and then we will have a vote."

GOP thrives on fueling big conservative strokes by corrupting Dem intentions to the public. They do it easier than breathing, they love being the opposition.
Oh, the GOP will love being in opposition in that sense, but they aren't capable of pretending to negotiate in good faith in the manner you're suggesting, because their base will demand nothing but people screaming "fuck you" at the Democrats non-stop.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Oh god, President Biden with a Republican Senate is nightmare fuel.

Mitch needs to fuck off.

May 26, 2018
Oh, the GOP will love being in opposition in that sense, but they aren't capable of pretending to negotiate in good faith in the manner you're suggesting, because their base will demand nothing but people screaming "fuck you" at the Democrats non-stop.

Their base will do whatever they're told to by their authority figures. If they're told to act like decorum and gentlemen's agreements matter, they'll put on the clothes of the Founding Fathers and pretend that reasonable and informed legislative philosophy is the foundation of all American activity. They don't care.

Their base will do whatever they're told to by their authority figures.
No, they won't. We saw that during the Obama years; the Republican House caucus, especially, was effectively ungovernable due to truculent ultra-conservatives, let alone the party's voters.

And as I noted, the GOP already did not pursue the strategy you're suggesting in the Obama years regarding judicial appointments.

May 26, 2018
No, they won't. We saw that during the Obama years; the Republican House caucus, especially, was effectively ungovernable due to truculent ultra-conservatives, let alone the party's voters.

You misunderstand my meaning. Their authority figures, sans Trump, are Fox News, OANN, and Facebook. The same actors will be influencing those mediums and they're pretty united from what I can tell.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Most of what gets me now is that we've known for a minute now that healthcare premiums are slated to be more expensive due to the sheer costs of COVID and instability it shocked the market with. Now with the ACA probably waiting to get shot in the head, I can't imagine how much more expensive things get after another healthy dose of uncertainty is injected into the markets. Wildest thing is that even if we win, we're pretty much primed for every deficit hawk to come down on us with the thunder. It's infuriating and we're going to need strong leaders to carry us through that hailstorm.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'll pay anybody who wants to bet me a Trading Places dollar if the non-white third party vote in Minnesota is actually 12%.

You misunderstand my meaning. Their authority figures, sans Trump, are Fox News, OANN, and Facebook. The same actors will be influencing those mediums and they're pretty united from what I can tell.
Yes, but those media sources aren't going to be urging the sorts of measures you're proposing either, they'll be fanning the flames (just as they did in the past), because that's what's profitable for them.

May 26, 2018
Yes, but those media sources aren't going to be urging the sorts of measures you're proposing either, they'll be fanning the flames (just as they did in the past), because that's what's profitable for them.

What could be more profitable than blocking all Democratic progress while making yourself look like a put upon victim who deserves power for the sake of the American Way?

kess

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if somebody has ever studied urban planning and land use policies on a statewide level and how they affect partisan lean -- a lot of little counties in Iowa are swingy AF but the same thing in Missouri is blood red.

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017
I think the point is to try and bait her into showing herself to be a Trump partisan. Would be useful if she did if we were to proceed to pack the courts.

Edit: ^

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, my little Kansas town went from no Biden Harris signs to four after I put mine up today. Apparently the Dems here didn't want to be the first.

Feb 14, 2018
Ask her if she agrees with four of the conservative Justices already on the Court that the ACA should be thrown in the trash. Repeatedly. Point out every time that the other four Justices on the court have already ruled on that question and that she would be the deciding vote on the case coming up in a matter of weeks.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

Fox contributor: "Law enforcement officers are ministers of God sent to punish evildoers and to resist law enforcement is to resist God himself"

I swear I always see segments from Lou Dobbs on my feed around when I get off of work and they always come off as absolutely batshit or extremely weird/cringe.

Status
Not open for further replies.