• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Here's how the night of 3rd is gonna go down. Biden will win the dumbass state of Florida and the election is called rather soon. Its a landslide. Trump refuses to concede. Breaks the tradition of loser calling the winner to congratulate them. Because Trump cannot lose. Anyway, Biden will give a rousing victory speech while the networks are still scrambling. Trump sends his failson go give a speech to supporters gathered for victory party. Late at 1 am or something trump will make a speech saying he found "tremendous" amount of fraud, fake ballots and hoax. He will be filing a lawsuit to challenge the results "very soon".

The next 30 days will be just lawsuits and a constant state of constitutional crisis.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Still can't believe that fucking story about Birx suddenly being distressed about what a disaster the taskforce and response has been.

She went on FOX News in fucking March and told people Trump is "attentive to the scientific literature" when he had already been downplaying the virus, the danger and scoffing at mitigation for WEEKS.

And then continued to constantly engage in appeasement during the briefings, not to mention apparently echoing to him in private his absurd claim this should would just go away.

I hope she feels a heavy, painful sense of dread and anxiety every day about the fact that she will be forever tied to this disaster and the historic death count. I hope she feels responsible for many of the needless deaths that have occurred and will occur and I hope she feels that anguish and pain constantly all the way to her fucking grave. And then to hell.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Here's how the night of 3rd is gonna go down. Biden will win the dumbass state of Florida and the election is called rather soon. Its a landslide. Trump refuses to concede. Breaks the tradition of loser calling the winner to congratulate them. Because Trump cannot lose. Anyway, Biden will give a rousing victory speech while the networks are still scrambling. Trump sends his failson go give a speech to supporters gathered for victory party. Late at 1 am or something trump will make a speech saying he found "tremendous" amount of fraud, fake ballots and hoax. He will be filing a lawsuit to challenge the results "very soon".

The next 30 days will be just lawsuits and a constant state of constitutional crisis.

This is the best case scenario though. Literally anything else is 1000000x worse. We need the landslide.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I stumbled upon what appears to be a green party botnet tonight on Twitter. Reported them all.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Some people just want everyone to suffer and be miserable due to their own insecurities and shortcomings - it's basically "if I can't live a happy and fulfilling life, no one can" and in the case of white people, this feeling also stems from seeing minorities succeed in places they consider to be exclusive to white people. It's why so many of them disapproved of Obama after he got elected and it's like the one thing keeping the GOP alive cause it sure as hell ain't their policy ideas.

They would happily trade democracy and free speech for Dictator Trump because they really want to see minorities and liberals suffer - the patriotic storefront is only there to hide their true intentions, they don't give a shit about the US.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see more quote than just three sentences.

Especially since this flies in the face of what Schumer has said the past week.

Doubly so since this guy's feed is...agenda driven to be certain.

Last edited:

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
Last edited:

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I don't get why any Senate Democrat rues killing off the filibuster for normal judicial confirmations. Yes, conservatives love to point to that vote as Harry Reid instigating the conflict, but let's not pretend that if Reid hadn't killed it, Mitch wouldn't have filibustered every Democratic nomination up to the start of 2015, blocked every nomination up to the start of 2017 and then killed the filibuster himself after Trump was sworn in. All that Reid did was prevent even more judicial seats from remaining open until Trump could fill them years later.

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
More from that NYT poll:

Iowa:
Greenfield leads Ernst 42-40

Georgia:
Perdue leads Ossof 41-38

Senate special:
  • Loeffler (R): 23%
  • Collins (R): 19%
  • Warnock (D): 19%
  • Lieberman (D): 7%
  • Tarver (D): 4%
Texas:
Cornyn leads Hegar 43-37

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017

New NYT/Siena polls:

Iowa: Biden 45% Trump 42%

Georgia: Biden 45% Trump 45%

Texas: Trump 46% Biden 43%
www.nytimes.com

Trump Faces Challenges Even in Red States, Poll Shows, as Women Favor Biden (Published 2020)

Close races in Georgia, Iowa and Texas show President Trump’s vulnerability and suggest that Joseph Biden has assembled a formidable coalition, according to a New York Times/Siena College poll.

Makes sense that Biden would be polling better in IA when you think about the results we've seen in MN/WI lately.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017

At around the 4:45 mark

Kinda hard to reconcile regret over nuking the filibuster in 2013 and supporting nuking it now and stacking the courts

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

At around the 4:45 mark

Kinda hard to reconcile regret over nuking the filibuster in 2013 and supporting nuking it now and stacking the courts

If you can parse it, there is a way to thread the needle.

Again, this idea that Schumer of all people would fly off the handle and say these things that are empty threats (when he never does that in the first place) is odd to say the least.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT

New NYT/Siena polls:

www.nytimes.com

Trump Faces Challenges Even in Red States, Poll Shows, as Women Favor Biden (Published 2020)

Close races in Georgia, Iowa and Texas show President Trump’s vulnerability and suggest that Joseph Biden has assembled a formidable coalition, according to a New York Times/Siena College poll.

Iowa gonna come through in the clutch, feeling a lot better about Bidens odds there lately.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
If you can parse it, there is a way to thread the needle.

Again, this idea that Schumer of all people would fly off the handle and say these things that are empty threats (when he never does that in the first place) is odd to say the least.
I genuinely don't believe either Pelosi or Schumer have or will ever have the votes to pass laws required to stack the courts or even add DC and PR as states. I don't think Biden wants to push it either. Biden here is the key IMO.

As much as I hate it, spending 2 years of political capital on court stacking + SC nominations might not be the best way of spending your political capital from a moderate congressional seat POV

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely don't believe either Pelosi or Schumer have or will ever have the votes to pass laws required to stack the courts or even add DC and PR as states. I don't think Biden wants to push it either. Biden here is the key IMO.

As much as I hate it, spending 2 years of political capital on court stacking + SC nominations might not be the best way of spending your political capital from a moderate congressional seat POV
Nothing gets accomplished if we don't.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont

Schumer is a valid question, but Pelosi you should have no doubt about. She has reliably gotten legislation through--even stuff unpopular with people such as the ACA w/ Public Option, various Environmental legislation, and LGBTQ protections before it became publicly supported. I think Schumer will do what a Democratic President tells him to. He's a party guy.

I'll also say the concept of political capital is all but dead. It was from the era of bipartisan legislation, and we're talking about passing laws with 0 GOP support. So there's no real calculation for that.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

New NYT/Siena polls:

www.nytimes.com

Polls give me 2016 vibes. Hope the undecideds break for Biden.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Nothing gets accomplished if we don't.

Plenty can be passed without SC's interference. Public option, increase in the min wage, etc.

I actually don't believe the SC would strike down these things cause they are broadly popular and while wet dream of the Federalist society, would only lend weight to a Dem congress packing the court. Something to remember, yeah, maybe the Republicans get the SC nominee thru and Congress does nothing, the stage is set, if the SC dares to actually overturn popular legislation, they only paint a bulleyes on itself. Dems should focus on passing it, and dare the court to strike it down.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
If the election is close in anyway, it will be a shit show. Trump with declare fraud or that he's won and no one will know how to proceed. We need a landslide to make it unquestionable.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

New NYT/Siena polls:

www.nytimes.com

Those are some good looking polls, all things considered. Naturally still undecideds of course, but Biden leading/tied in Iowa/Georgia respectfully is great to see.

Also, a bit random, but I wish there was more good polling of Alaska, particularly the Alaska Senate race, because, I dunno, something about it in particular probably just fascinates me (probably in part due to the low amount of info itself honestly). I naturally understand why there isn't, but still, I really can't help be curious about AK-SEN as a potential stretch-race. Would be wonderful to see Dr. Gross actually pull an upset there because it's definitely a longshot race regardless but from what I understand Alaska can be a bit strange and surprisingly flexible at times politically due to its unique low population/demographics/politics there in general or something (I forget/am not too familiar with the exact details), and just despite it being a stretch regardless, some of the tiny amount of polling that does exist does make me curious for more and what could end up happening there.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Sure the undecideds in that set of polls is high, but it also has 9/10 likely voters making up the mind to who to vote for already. In deep red or red states which show BIden winning or being tied with trump. That pretty damn good.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
Schumer is a valid question, but Pelosi you should have no doubt about. She has reliably gotten legislation through--even stuff unpopular with people such as the ACA w/ Public Option, various Environmental legislation, and LGBTQ protections before it became publicly supported. I think Schumer will do what a Democratic President tells him to. He's a party guy.

I'll also say the concept of political capital is all but dead. It was from the era of bipartisan legislation, and we're talking about passing laws with 0 GOP support. So there's no real calculation for that.
I see your point, but I'm looking at a 2 year window, Dems get the trifecta in November, what are going to be the priorities?

Pelosi's a great negotiator, but she's not going to go against what Biden wants. If Biden, who last year was against stacking the courts, says no, let's do healthcare, environment, etc., we've got this 2 year window, that's the escape route moderates/centrists in both the Senate and the House need.

Of course Pelosi and Schumer know how the base feels about these issues so there's a wink wink for the election, but they'll drop it imo.

Would love to be proven wrong though.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see your point, but I'm looking at a 2 year window, Dems get the trifecta in November, what are going to be the priorities?

Pelosi's a great negotiator, but she's not going to go against what Biden wants. If Biden, who last year was against stacking the courts, says no, let's do healthcare, environment, etc., we've got this 2 year window, that's the escape route moderates/centrists in both the Senate and the House need.

Of course Pelosi and Schumer know how the base feels about these issues so there's a wink wink for the election, but they'll drop it imo.

Would love to be proven wrong though.
The problem is the GOP isn't just breaking norms and ignoring their own precedent buy flagrently breaking laws and attempting to openly support white nationalist, conspiracy theories and topple democracy. On top of that who says the moderates and Biden aren't attempting to placate moderate voters?

I will be shocked if the Dems do nothing.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Not sure where I am going to go with post yet, but I just need to get a few things off my chest.

I recently translated Trump's rambling on "patriotic education" into German and it just straight up sounded like a speech Himmler or Goebbels would have given. Print it in german media and it would immediately trigger these connections in people.
The rhetoric of fascism is known here. Recognizing fascism has a lot to do with recognizing its rhetoric.

Non-germans sometimes wonder what the point of punishment for certain speech is(or how that can be in line with free speech) or why so many phrases are taboo here. It's to prevent fascism from being normalized again and to stigmatize as vile and disgusting.
It prevents the Overton window from shifting.

I'd like to go into what fascism means a bit.
Mussolini took it from the Italian word for a bunch of sticks packed together - fasces.
For over 1000 years power in Europe had been divided between worldly power (monarchs) and religious power (church). The industrial revolution created significant economic power and the enlightenment meant the church lost a lot of power. the french revolution started the downfall of the monarchy.
So at some point, there was a lot of unorganized power and people started to create systems to control it. many newly formed states tried to separate powers to keep them in check. But Mussolini argued that you have to bunch up and pack together (fasces) the worldly power of an authoritarian nation-state and the economic power of that nation under an ultranationalist führer regime. Mussolini and Hitler were the first to successfully implement systems that worked like that. They were defeated, but the idea has never disappeared.

Neoliberal market economies (the system that organizes the tremendous economic power today) has shown that it gladly arranges itself with authoritarian regimes. It happened in Russia(total oligarchy) and china (Single-party dictatorship). in the US it is happening as well. It is a bunching up of power. Economic power in the US won't resist. It will make itself comfortable within an authoritarian regime. So it is up to the people to prevent the bunching up of power.

People often use "fascism" synonymous with Nazism but it is actually a much broader term that describes the breaking down of the systems separating and limiting power in the name of nationalist doctrine.

The US once fought fascism out of ideological conviction. Now it has forgotten what fascism looks like and has become fascist itself.
Despite all our means to preserve knowledge, such crucial knowledge has been lost over the generations. It's crazy actually.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure where I am going to go with post yet, but I just need to get a few things off my chest.

I recently translated Trump's rambling on "patriotic education" into German and it just straight up sounded like a speech Himmler or Goebbels would have given. Print it in german media and it would immediately trigger these connections in people.
The rhetoric of fascism is known here. Recognizing fascism has a lot to do with recognizing its rhetoric.

Non-germans sometimes wonder what the point of punishment for certain speech is(or how that can be in line with free speech) or why so many phrases are taboo here. It's to prevent fascism from being normalized again and to stigmatize as vile and disgusting.
It prevents the Overton window from shifting.

I'd like to go into what fascism means a bit.
Mussolini took it from the Italian word for a bunch of sticks packed together - fasces.
For over 1000 years power in Europe had been divided between worldly power (monarchs) and religious power (church). The industrial revolution created significant economic power and the enlightenment meant the church lost a lot of power. the french revolution started the downfall of the monarchy.
So at some point, there was a lot of unorganized power and people started to create systems to control it. many newly formed states tried to separate powers to keep them in check. But Mussolini argued that you have to bunch up and pack together (fasces) the worldly power of an authoritarian nation-state and the economic power of that nation under an ultranationalist führer regime. Mussolini and Hitler were the first to successfully implement systems that worked like that. They were defeated, but the idea has never disappeared.

Neoliberal market economies (the system that organizes the tremendous economic power today) has shown that it gladly arranges itself with authoritarian regimes. It happened in Russia(total oligarchy) and china (Single-party dictatorship). in the US it is happening as well. It is a bunching up of power. Economic power in the US won't resist. It will make itself comfortable within an authoritarian regime. So it is up to the people to prevent the bunching up of power.

People often use "fascism" synonymous with Nazism but it is actually a much broader term that describes the breaking down of the systems separating and limiting power in the name of nationalist doctrine.

The US once fought fascism out of ideological conviction. Now it has forgotten what fascism looks like and has become fascist itself.
Despite all our means to preserve knowledge, such crucial knowledge has been lost over the generations. It's crazy actually.

Interesting. Thanks for posting this.

Evidence of what you say is just a few posts above you. In two of the nation's biggest newspapers, word of the President saying he will not commit to a peaceful transition of power didn't even make the front page. That type of language should be universally demonized.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Polls give me 2016 vibes. Hope the undecideds break for Biden.
The upside here is that Iowa, Georgia and Texas are definitely not necessary for Biden to win. Obviously you'd rather flip them than not, but it isn't like any one of those states will realistically be what pushes him over 270. More like 400.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

It's not really out of character for Bennet, he has talked about this before. When he was running for president he went on PSA and talked to Dan about how he'd regretted killing the judicial filibuster back in 2013, how it helped contribute to the degradation of norms in the Senate, etc. It's an earnest belief of his.

Doesn't necessarily mean Schumer, et al. couldn't get him to commit to court reform if the opportunity arose, but it's not an unfair skew by agenda-driven twitter accounts either.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really out of character for Bennet, he has talked about this before. When he was running for president he went on PSA and talked to Dan about how he'd regretted killing the judicial filibuster back in 2013, how it helped contribute to the degradation of norms in the Senate, etc. It's an earnest belief of his.

Doesn't necessarily mean Schumer, et al. couldn't get him to commit to court reform if the opportunity arose, but it's not an unfair skew by agenda-driven twitter accounts either.
No I mean taking this to mean the worst was the agenda driven part.

I don't doubt Bennet earnestly regrets that vote.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Even NYT's podcast, The Daily on NPR, was driving me up the wall, by giving credence to a single-issue voter who "hates" trump, but is all in on his bullshit because she heads some anti-abortion nonsense. She got zero push-back. It was infuriating!

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Do any of y'all believe this stuff with the Trump campaign somehow installing Electors that will vote against their state? Like.....what is that actual probability of that working? 20% 80%? I'm sweating bullets over this.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is the GOP isn't just breaking norms and ignoring their own precedent buy flagrently breaking laws and attempting to openly support white nationalist, conspiracy theories and topple democracy. On top of that who says the moderates and Biden aren't attempting to placate moderate voters?

I will be shocked if the Dems do nothing.
The path of least resistance for moderate voters probably isn't stacking the courts.

2 years to find the support for the bill + get through the nominations plus push through other "sellable" bills (healthcare, green new deal and infrastructure, gun laws, criminal justice reform, etc) to the electorate would make this one very productive Congress.

Possible? Yes.

Probable? Perhaps not.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The path of least resistance for moderate voters probably isn't stacking the courts.

2 years to find the support for the bill + get through the nominations plus push through other "sellable" bills (healthcare, green new deal and infrastructure, gun laws, criminal justice reform, etc) to the electorate would make this one very productive Congress.

Possible? Yes.

Probable? Perhaps not.
Political capital isn't much of a thing when we're no longer entertaining courting the GOP.

Status
Not open for further replies.